Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Empire- Hip Hop Dynasty

Cleaned up his act? Oh, fuck no. It's all just more shit from his bag of tricks to keep those kids in line. Give them what that want, make them tow the line.

I fucking hate him.

Even more so now that he's bringing my baby, Jamal, down with him.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

Love this show .... love, love, love Cookie ... She is absolutely mesmerizing ...what a dominating personality she has ... nice to see. A tv show with great writing, acting and direction.

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves" .. Confucius
    "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation " ...... Henry David Thoreau

Is anybody watching?

I liked how they started out the show with the black life matters. I thought that was a very cool way of intertwining news in a storyline.

I was hopeful Chris rock would be a regular. He did awesome as a bad guy.

Love this show and I am glad it is finally back on.

Chris Rock was good and would have been a really good regular, I was a little disappointed they didn't make that part of the story longer... It was kind of a big secret in the first season and then revealed and over in 1 episode.
    I can be your *ADDICTION* if you wanna get hooked on something!!

I thought when that part came on "get it girl"

Actress Gabourey Sidibe has responded to critics who fat shamed her after she appeared in a love scene during Wednesday's episode of Empire.
    The 32-year-old actress was seen on the show alongside her character Becky Williams' love interest MC J Poppa - played by actor Mo McRae - in an opening scene that featured the two enjoying an intimate moment on a rooftop.
    But after the episode aired, the Oscar-nominated actress found herself to be the subject of cruel taunts online, one social media user even created a meme that used a screen shot of the love scene next to the words: 'Damn, some of you people can't even get a text back'.

The meme appeared to imply that it was somehow surprising that Gabourey's character could attract the attention - and the lust - of someone like MC J Poppa.
    Some commenters on the posts added to the hate, writing things like 'yuck' and 'now they've gone too far' about the episode.
    But in a blog for EW on Thursday, the actress took the critics head on, saying that not only was she proud of the scene, but didn't care in the least about anyone having a problem with it.
    'I, a plus sized, dark-skinned woman, had a love scene on primetime television,' she wrote. I had the most fun ever filming that scene even though I was nervous. But I felt sexy and beautiful and I felt like I was doing a good job.

I’m very proud of the work we all did to make that scene a great opening for the episode. I keep hearing that people are “hating” on it. I’m not sure how anyone could hate on love but that’s okay. You may have your memes.'
    She added: 'Honestly, I’m at work too busy to check Twitter anyway. #Booked. Hope you enjoy next week’s show!'
    Plenty of fans also came to the actresses defense, with one writing: 'People are just mean. All I see is two people in love, do y'all really think big girls cannot get some action?'
    Many of Gabourey's cast mates on Empire also praised her for the scene. Co-star Jussie Smollett, who plays Jamal Lyon on the show, called it 'beautiful' and praised Gabourey for 'owning herself' and when told about the negative comments, said the critics should just close their eyes and turn off their TVs if they have a problem.

I wanted to see it, and millions of other people wanted to see it,' Jussie told E! Online. 'I don' know, those people don't matter to me, to her, to anybody else.'
    It's not the first time the actress has spoken out in defense of her shape against fat-shamers. In fact, the star was equally sassy when trolls took to social media to criticize her over the dress she wore to the Golden Globes last year, with some of the mean-spirited comments comparing her to a condom or 'the chubby ghost from Casper'.
    'To people making mean comments about my GG pics, I mos def cried about it on that private jet on my way to my dream job last night. #JK,' Gabourey confidently replied on Twitter.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...#ixzz3qzJ1hAhe
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    I thought that was great of them. My only complaint is her hair style. Totally unflattering for her face and skin color.

Queena, did you like the rap battle?

I was rooting for Hakeem to beat that chick (I really don't like her)

What the hell is going on with Anikia?

I thought the battle was pretty good (and was rooting for Hakeem too). I like Freda and her raps but she looks too much like Fantasia so I can't take her gangsta style too serious.

And poor Anika all pregnant by her old future step-son

I still don't get the whole kidnapping plot.

Hakeem pretty much f'ed his whole family. I was shocked, but really I understood why he did it.

Holy fuck. Anika has lost her mind.

nooo, not Jamal!!! I can't believe they killed him off.

There is zero way that Jamal is dead. I won't accept that.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

No way he's dead.

I laughed so hard when the drunk sister crashed the Asa awards.

The Lyons have a f'ed up sense of "family"

I don't know how they are going to replace him. He's the only one that's more R&B, everyone else is a rapper of some sort.

Whew, he was just messing with us. I can't see the show without him cause his story line is a major one.

They kept advertising that someone was going to die, does that means that Anika or Rhonda is going over the edge - or maybe Andre...

I totally knew Lucious and Anika was going to get married.

Quote Originally Posted by nclexusgirl View Post
    Whew, he was just messing with us. I can't see the show without him cause his story line is a major one.

They kept advertising that someone was going to die, does that means that Anika or Rhonda is going over the edge - or maybe Andre...

I totally knew Lucious and Anika was going to get married.
    Anika totally planned this whole thing. Why mess with the baby lion when you can have the big daddy lion? HA

They better not kill Rhonda off. NO NO NO. I her and Andre.

The grandma storyline is so out there...and confusing. Maybe she's gonna die.

I can't believe they killed Rhonda off. NO

Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    I can't believe they killed Rhonda off. NO
    I know

I hope the story line picks up and adds some excitement cause it's getting a little boring going round and round with Luscious and whether he will get caught or not

https://abc7chicago.com/police-new-e...ating/5141900/

CHICAGO -- Chicago police are "eager" to again speak again with "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett about his alleged attack after two brothers were arrested in connection with the attack agreed to cooperate with police, sources said Saturday evening.

"We can confirm that the information received from the individuals questioned by police earlier in the Empire case has in fact shifted the trajectory of the investigation. We've reached out to the Empire cast member's attorney to request a follow-up interview," said Chicago police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi.

Friday night, two brothers who were being held as persons of interest in the alleged attack on Smollett were released without charges. They are not considered suspects.

What that new information is police will not say, but sources confirm reports that the brothers, who had a preexisting relationship with Smollet, were paid by the actor to carry out the attack.

Two officials familiar with the Smollett investigation confirmed to ABC News that detectives confronted the two brothers with evidence that they purchased the rope found around Smollett's neck at a local hardware store. The brothers agreed to cooperate with police, who are investigating whether Smollett made up the story, after police threatened to charge them with battery and hate crimes.

Guglielmi said they have reached out to Smollett's attorneys Friday night. "We made our intentions clear," he said.

Late Saturday, Smollett's attorneys Todd S. Pugh and Victor P. Henderson released a statement, addressing reports that the actor may have staged the attack.

"As a victim of a hate crime who has cooperated with the police investigation, Jussie Smollett is angered and devastated by recent reports that the perpetrators are individuals he is familiar with. He has now been further victimized by claims attributed to these alleged perpetrators that Jussie played a role in his own attack. Nothing is further from the truth and anyone claiming otherwise is lying.

"One of these purported suspects was Jussie's personal trainer who he hired to ready him physically for a music video. It is impossible to believe that this person could have played a role in the crime against Jussie or would falsely claim Jussie's complicity.

"Jussie and his attorneys anticipate being further updated by the Chicago Police Department on the status of the investigation and will continue to cooperate. At the present time, Jussie and his attorneys have no inclination to respond to "unnamed" sources inside of the investigation, but will continue discussions through official channels."

Meanwhile, Donald Trump Jr. tweeted late Saturday about the investigation

BROTHERS QUESTIONED

Police seized the brothers' phones and will check their phone records as they probe whether the men were in contact with Smollett on the night of the incident. Chicago police did not immediately comment on the brothers' level of cooperation, aside from the fact that they provided information to police.

The men were confirmed to be the men seen on surveillance images of the scene of the alleged incident on Jan. 29 in the Streeterville neighborhood. Chicago police told ABC News the reason the men were at the scene is now central to the investigation. Whether the men spoke to Smollett the night of the alleged attack is also central to the investigation, CPD representatives said.

Guglielmi said Friday: "Due to new evidence as a result of today's interrogations, the individuals questioned by police in the Empire case have now been released without charging and detectives have additional investigative work to complete."

Guglielmi said the individuals are no longer being classified as suspects. They are technically still considered persons of interest because they may have more information.

The investigation remains ongoing. Video evidence does not indicate that anyone else was present at the scene of the alleged incident.

The lawyer representing the two men spoke Friday night after their release, saying she and the men gave police new evidence in the investigation.

Friday morning, Guglielmi said the two men have a relationship with Smollett. Friday morning police said the two had been classified as suspects and that at the time police believed they may have been involved in a crime.

Multiple sources told ABC7 Eyewitness News in Chicago that police are investigating whether Smollett and the two men staged the attack allegedly because Smollett was being written off of "Empire."

A source familiar with the investigation told the ABC7 I-Team that Smollett failed to appear for an interview with detectives earlier Thursday but has since spoken with police.

Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson contacted ABC7 to say they are continuing to treat Smollett as a victim and the investigation remains ongoing.

"Police are investigating whether the two individuals committed the attack - or whether the attack happened at all," Chicago police told ABC News.

Smollett released a statement Thursday evening saying, "Today Jussie did answer routine followup questions for Chicago Police Department and continues to cooperate."

Smollett's representatives said he is not being written off "Empire."

Twentieth Century Fox Television and Fox Entertainment released a statement saying, "The idea that Jussie Smollett has been, or would be, written off of EMPIRE is patently ridiculous. He remains a core player on this very successful series and we continue to stand behind him."

A source briefed on the Smollett investigation confirmed to ABC News that Chicago police are questioning the two men -- one of whom has appeared on "Empire."

The law enforcement official also told ABC News that the homes of the men were raided Wednesday night. Police removed shoes, electronic devices and other items they believe could help them determine if the two people played any role in the assault.

https://abc7chicago.com/police-new-e...ating/5141900/

Part 2 of the Investigation

Neighbors described a swarm of officers and K-9 units.

"I was walking in the alley. One police car stopped in the alley, and they told me to go inside the house. By then maybe five minutes later, there were like 20 police right here by the door," said Jaime Figueroa, neighbor.

Neighbors said they believe the men are Nigerian brothers who grew up in that apartment and have lived there for years. Neighbors described them as friendly and possibly bodybuilders, and said they have long wanted to be actors.

Chicago police said they "cannot confirm any of those reports." No charges have been filed.

Police initially said the two persons of interest are not suspects and have not been charged. The two were picked up Wednesday night at O'Hare International Airport, police said.

A lawyer who said she's representing the two persons of interest declined to comment on the case as she left Area Central police headquarters.

Chicago police told ABC News they were tracking the two persons of interest and were aware of who they were "for a while." Chicago police told ABC News they are both cooperating and have been questioned all day.

Smollett said he was attacked around 2 a.m. on Jan. 29 in the 300-block of East North Water Street in Chicago's Streeterville neighborhood. He told police two masked men shouted homophobic slurs at him, attacked him, put a rope around his neck and poured a liquid on him that smelled like bleach.

On Thursday night, police said phone records provided by Smollett do show he was on the phone with his manager at the time of the attack. Both men told investigators Smollett's attackers yelled slurs.

Smollett, 36, is black and openly gay.

RELATED: Jussie Smollett reflects on attack, aftermath on 'Good Morning America': 'I am not weak'

Police said they have not found surveillance video that shows the attack. But earlier in the investigation, they did release grainy surveillance images of two possible persons of interest. The photos show two silhouettes on New Street near Illinois Street between 1:30 a.m. and 1:45 a.m. on Jan. 29.

In a statement released Thursday, police said they identified the two people in the surveillance photos and tracked them down using cameras, public transportation records and corroborating info provided by Smollett.

RELATED: Bottle with bleach odor found near site of Jussie Smollett attack; 'Empire' actor submits phone records

Smollett spoke exclusively with Robin Roberts on "Good Morning America" Thursday. He reflected on what happened to him that morning and what has happened to him since.

"It's the attackers, but also the attacks," he said, adding of those who don't believe his story, "It's not necessarily that you don't believe that this is the truth, you don't even want to see the truth."

Anthony Guglielmi, spokesman for Chicago Police Department, said earlier Thursday morning that he watched the GMA interview with CPD Superintendent Eddie Johnson. Guglielmi said Smollett's comments on GMA are consistent with what he's told Chicago police. Unfortunately, police have no solid evidence to arrest anyone at this time.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jussie-...-empire-actor/

The alleged attack of "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett has sprawled into a three-week saga of confusing reports and contradictions. Smollett, who is black and gay, maintains that he was the victim of a brutal hate crime. But following the arrest and subsequent release of two men in connection with the incident, the Chicago Police Department said new information had "shifted" the investigation.

Here are all the major developments from the case:

January 22: One week before the reported attack, a letter threatening Smollett arrives at the Fox studio where "Empire" is filmed. The letter, later published by TMZ, contained a homophobic death threat against Smollett spelled out in cut-up letters. The envelope reads "MAGA," an apparent reference to President Trump's "Make America Great Again" slogan.

January 29: Chicago police open a hate crime investigation after Smollett, 36, says he was attacked near his Chicago apartment. According to police, Smollett says two men approached him around 2 a.m., shouted "racial and homophobic slurs," poured an "unknown chemical substance" on him and wrapped a noose around his neck.

Police confirm to CBS News that in second interview with police, Smollett told detectives his attackers yelled "This is MAGA country."

January 30: Chicago police release a photo of two "persons of interest" captured on surveillance footage, while noting that the attack itself was not captured.

February 1: Apparently noting the skepticism that some have raised about the attack, Smollett releases a statement saying he has been "100% factual and consistent on every level." "Despite my frustrations and deep concern with certain inaccuracies and misrepresentations that have been spread, I still believe that justice will be served," he writes.

February 2: Smollett makes his first public appearance since reporting the incident, with a sold-out concert at the Troubadour in West Hollywood, California. He tears up before the set and tells the crowd, "Regardless of what anyone else says, I will only stand for love." A meet-and-greet that was scheduled for the show is canceled, with security concerns cited.

February 4: Chicago police release the initial incident report. It says a friend of Smollett, who reported the incident to police, says Smollett "did not want to report offense" but "believed it to be in the best interest to." The report also notes that Smollett still had a rope around his neck when police arrived to interview him. In the report, Smollett says the attackers were wearing black and the "primary aggressor." He says they were wearing a black mask, but he recalls no other "distinguishing features."

February 12: Chicago police say the phone records Smollett gave them were "heavily redacted" and "do not meet the burden for a criminal investigation."

February 14: Smollett appears on ABC's "Good Morning America" for his first television interview since the incident. He tears up in the interview and pushes back on those who have questioned his story. He says "pride" made him reluctant to initially report the incident, and that he was hesitant to give his phone to police because of private information on it.

In a statement, Smollett's lawyer say the redactions were "intended to protect the privacy of personal contacts or high-profile individuals not relevant to the attack."

Chicago police say media reports about the attack being a hoax "are unconfirmed by case detectives. Smollett denies the reports through a spokesperson. Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson says there is no evidence to support that this was a hoax.

February 15: Chicago police announce they are questioning two "persons of interest" who were seen on surveillance video. But later that day, the two men are released without charges. Police say "new evidence" has given detectives "additional investigative work to complete."

February 16: A source close to the investigation tells CBS News that two Nigerian brothers, Ola and Abel Osundairo, told detectives Smollett paid them to participate in the attack. They say the rope that was found around Smollett's neck was purchased at a nearby hardware store. A raid of their home turned up ropes, masks and bleach.

Chicago police say their questioning of the brothers had "shifted the trajectory of the investigation," and they requested another interview with Smollett. The actor's attorneys say he is "angered and devastated" by reports that he knew the alleged attackers, and that one of the men was Smollett's personal trainer. Ola Osundairo had played a prisoner in a season of "Empire."

February 17: Chicago police release a vague statement on Twitter. "While we are not in a position to confirm, deny or comment on the validity of what's been unofficially released, there are some developments in this investigation and detectives have some follow-ups to complete which include speaking to the individual who reported the incident."
    This allegation gets crazier though involving Jussie Smollett

https://abc13.com/activist-calls-for...ttack/5142930/

Now the allegation gets crazier

LOS ANGELES, California --
    A Los Angeles-based civil rights activist held a press conference Sunday, calling for the arrest of actor Jussie Smollett and saying he believes the "Empire" star lied about being a victim of a hate crime.

Najee Ali, who is also the director of Project Islamic HOPE, said false claims make real incidents of racist attacks and homophobia easier to dismiss.

"It's a slap in the face. We have many members of the black community and the LGBTQ community who have been the victims of racism and hate crimes, so for Smollett to say that he was a victim...and we believe is a lie...certainly is an injustice to those true victims...," Ali said. "Jussie Smollett must be brought to justice for lying."

Jussie Smollett attack: New evidence 'shifted the trajectory' of Jussie Smollett investigation, 2 brothers cooperating

Ali said Smollett's story was given the benefit of the doubt at first, but over the last few days, the "campaign of lies continued to be unraveled."

Smollett, who is black and gay, has said he was physically attacked last month by two masked men shouting racial and anti-gay slurs and "This is MAGA country!" He said they looped a rope around his neck before running away as he was returning home from an early morning stop at a Subway restaurant in downtown Chicago. He said they also poured some kind of chemical on him.

Police said they combed surveillance video in the heavily-monitored area but were unable to find any footage of the attack. They did obtain images of two people they said they would like to question.

On Wednesday, Chicago police picked up the brothers at O'Hare International Airport as they returned from Nigeria. They described them as "suspects" in the assault, questioned them and searched their apartment.

Sources: Police investigating whether Jussie Smollett staged attack with help of others, allegedly being written off 'Empire'

Then, late Friday evening they released the two men without charges and said they were no longer suspects. They said they had gleaned new information from their interrogation of them.

Smollett's lawyers said late Saturday that the actor felt "victimized" by reports that he played a role in the assault, adding that, "Nothing is further from the truth and anyone claiming otherwise is lying." The statement from attorneys Todd Pugh and Victor P. Henderson also said Smollett would continue cooperating with police.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/02...hers-released/

An update on the Smollett investigation over his role in the attack.

http://www.fox32chicago.com/news/loc...cording-to-tmz

Now a Grand Jury is going to investigate the Jussie Smollett allegations

CHICAGO (Fox 32 News) - A grand jury may be taking on the Jussie Smollett case, reports TMZ.

Smollett, who is African American and gay, told Chicago Police that he was attacked by two white men late last month. He said the men put a noose around his neck and yelled, "This is MAGA country."

Sources have told Fox 32 News that evidence shows Smollett may have paid two brothers from Nigeria to fake the attack. Sources tell Fox 32 News that the men bought the rope for the noose at a local hardware store.

The brothers were taken into custody at O'Hare Airport when they returned from Nigeria. They were released without being charged.

Police responded on Sunday by saying they cannot confirm, deny or comment on what has been unofficially reported.

The CPD spokesman did say that detectives have some follow-up questions for Smollett.

Smollett's attorney, Todd Pugh, released a statement on Sunday saying:

“As a victim of a hate crime who has cooperated with the police investigation, Jussie Smollett is angered and devastated by recent reports that the perpetrators are individuals he is familiar with. He has now been further victimized by claims attributed to these alleged perpetrators that Jussie played a role in his own attack. Nothing is further from the truth and anyone claiming otherwise is lying.

“One of these purported suspects was Jussie’s personal trainer who he hired to ready him physically for a music video. It is impossible to believe that this person could have played a role in the crime against Jussie or would falsely claim Jussie’s complicity.

“Jussie and his attorneys anticipate being further updated by the Chicago Police Department on the status of the investigation and will continue to cooperate. At the present time, Jussie and his attorneys have no inclination to respond to “unnamed” sources inside of the investigation, but will continue discussions through official channels.”

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/02...staged-attack/

Now Motives over the attack is now coming into question.

(CBS) –“Empire” actor Jussie Smollett, upset after a racist letter sent to the show’s studio didn’t get a “bigger reaction,” is suspected of paying two men to attack him a week later, according to multiple sources with direct knowledge of the investigation.

“When the letter didn’t get enough attention, he concocted the staged attack,” a source told CBS 2 Investigator Brad Edwards. Other sources corroborated that information.

The blockbuster revelation into at least part of Smollett’s potential motive comes two days after CBS 2’s Charlie De Mar reported Smollett and two brothers — Ola and Abel Osundairo — staged the attack on Jan. 29 in Streeterville.

De Mar spoke on the phone exclusively with the Osundairo brothers Monday afternoon. In a joint statement, they said: “We are not racist. We are not homophobic, and we are not anti-Trump. We were born and raised in Chicago and are American citizens.”

Smollett received a letter containing a white powder Jan. 22. The letter was mailed to Chicago’s Cinespace Studios, where the show “Empire” is filmed. The letter prompted a HAZMAT response. CPD says the “white substance” was later determined to be aspirin.

The note was crafted with letters apparently cut out from magazines to form words. The pieced-together message contained racial and homophobic threats directed at Smollett. A magazine is one of the pieces of evidence retrieved from the brother’s home last week during a search conducted by CPD. Investigators also recovered a book of stamps.

The brothers are acquaintances of Smollett.

When asked about the letter in a televised interview last week, Smollett said, “On the letter, it had a stick figure hanging from a tree with a gun pointing toward it.” It also had “MAGA” — reference to President Donald Trump’s campaign slogan Make America Great Again – written as the return address.

“In due course all the facts will reveal themselves and at the end of the day my clients are honest and credible” the brothers’ attorney Gloria Schmidt said.

During the search of the brother’s home last week, a “piece of paper/writing” was also seized. CBS 2 is the only news source with video from inside that house. Police evidence logs exclusively obtained by CBS 2, show investigators took the writing sample, magazine, and a “wallet with stamps.”

Chicago police say the FBI is handling the investigation surrounding the letter, because that’s a federal-level concern.

Smollett claims two men attacked him in Streeterville early Jan. 29 as he was heading to his apartment. He said they yelled racial and homophobic slurs at him, poured a chemical on him and put a rope around his neck.

Sources say at least one of the brothers bought the rope used in the incident at Smollett’s request. The sources also say the “Empire” actor paid for the rope, which was purchased at the Crafty Beaver Hardware Store in the Ravenswood neighborhood the weekend of Jan. 25.
    Sources said one of the brothers held the rope and poured bleach while the other wore a plain red hat and yelled slurs at Smollett.

The sources say the red hat was bought at an Uptown beauty supply store and that the attack was supposed to happen before Jan. 29. The brothers told detectives the three men rehearsed the attack days prior to it happening. Smollett paid the brothers $3,500.

When Edwards reached out to CPD, immediately prior to this reporting, a spokesperson responded via text:

“We are not doing any interviews or making any official statements until we can corroborate some information that was shared with police. Until we meet with the Empire cast member, we are not able to confirm, deny or comment on any of the information that was released unofficially.

“When this investigation is over, we will have a detailed accounting of the case While we are not in a position to confirm, deny or comment on the validity of what’s been unofficially released, there are some developments in this investigation and detectives have some follow-ups to complete which include additional investigation and speaking to the individual who reported the incident.”

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/ju...-today-lawyer/

An Update Smollett is not coming back for another interview with Chicago Police.

Jussie Smollett will not meet with Chicago police on Monday to discuss the ongoing investigation of a reported attack on the “Empire” star, a spokesman for his attorney said.

“There are no plans for Jussie Smollett to meet with Chicago police today. Any news reports suggesting otherwise are inaccurate,” an e-mailed statement from public relations consultant Anne Kavanagh reads. “Smollett’s attorneys will keep an active dialogue going with Chicago police on his behalf. We have no further comment today.”

The announcement comes a day after Smollett’s newly hired attorney, Todd S. Pugh, told the Chicago Sun-Times that the actor expected “to [be] back online tomorrow with the investigators.”

Pugh said on Sunday that a possible sit-down with investigators would depend on “scheduling availability.” Monday, police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said the department will “look forward to continuing the dialogue with his attorneys and finding a mutually beneficial time for him and detectives to sort through new information from the investigation.”

The police department has said for weeks saying Smollett was the victim of a possible hate crime last month in Streeterville, investigators may now be probing whether Smollett paid two brothers he knew from “Empire” to stage the attack, law enforcement sources told the Chicago Sun-Times.

Police have been trying to arrange a “follow-up interview” with Smollett, after questioning the brothers, who were taken into custody and questioned Wednesday at O’Hare Airport after they got off a return flight from Nigeria. Information from the interview “has in fact shifted the trajectory of the investigation,” Guglielmi said Monday.

Smollett has told police he was walking in the 300 block of East North Water Street about 2 a.m. on Jan. 29 when two men walked up to him, yelled racial and homophobic slurs, hit him in the face, poured a substance — possibly bleach — on him and put a “thin, light rope” around his neck. The incident has been investigated as a hate crime.

Smollett has publicly expressed outrage at speculation that he may have set up the attack, including a lengthy interview with Good Morning America host Robin Roberts during which he called out “haters” who doubted his account of what happened. Smollett has acknowledged that one of the two men interviewed by police had served as his physical trainer.

The actor said he was reluctant to call police immediately after the attack because of the attention it would receive. Smollett’s manager, who said he was on the phone with the actor at the time of the assault, called authorities 40 minutes later. Smollett has since been interviewed by police and turned over redacted records from his cellphone.

Thread Information