Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The Good, The Bad, The GoFundMe, YouCaring & other mass funding sites

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    There's a cap on the amount you're allowed to receive as "gifts" though. I'll have to look it up, but I think it's 5,000 or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

I have no problems with the sort of situation Bowie is talking about. You have a need or a want that your friends and family want to fund? Awesome.

Young friends of mine (35ish) were getting married. They have all the small stuff they could possibly need to set up house keeping, but needed some big items. A range, fridge, and the house they were buying needed repairs. They didn't want or need people buying linens and pots and pans and most of their friends were happy to kick in $ towards the roof. As Bowie says, it wasn't intended to be public.

I have no problem with issuing a public appeal when there are major and unforeseeable expenses. Flood took the house and insurance doesn't cover such. Both parents killed in an accident leaving kids destitute. I've donated to friends and fof's dealing with financial crises, and there was a high school student I know who had raised $2500 of the $3000 he needed for a car (needed, not wanted, he lived 20 miles from school and needed wheels to keep attending) I tossed a few bucks his way. (I know his neighbor and believe the story)

But call me cheap. I'm not sending bucks to someone who gets stiffed on a tip, or who can't pay for his nose job.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    As of 2013 they raised it to 14K. So you can receive 14K per year and not have to pay taxes. Anything after that is taxable. So these folks raising 100K etc owe taxes on it.
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

I don't mind them. To each their own. Seems most folks use it to reach out to friends and family, which is cool.

I look at them a lot. Some are really fucking questionable.

And I donated $7 to Jarrid the pizza guy, cuz fuck you car salesmen with attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I would question whether this kind of stuff would truly be a gift, hence why I think the IRS could tax it. With them soliciting the way they are I was questioning that. Maybe it truly would be a straight out gift. Definitely not deductible on the giver's side as charitable though.

As for gifting in general, there are a ton of different rules that make up what contributes to the limit (like you can pay your relative's tuition straight to the school and it doesn't count towards the limit, but if you give it to them to pay the tuition it is a gift...same for hospital bills) and some of it is really crazy in my opinion.

Back to Shin's first comment...I think the whole reason the IRS put that a deductible donation has to go to a registered charitable organization, instead of you just trying to help someone that needs help on your own, is because someone at some time tried to donate to themselves and claim it. You know some bright spark tried it at one time.
    I think people are still doing this, tbh.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

So, here's a good discussion topic regarding these sites. Last year, a couple lost their three year old son when he ran out onto the road chasing a frisbee. Sad. Anyway, because his mother is a blogger, someone started a GoFundMe Site for them. Now keep in mind, both parents are employed, seemingly comfortable/normal money-wise. I get that funerals, especially unexpected ones can cost a lot. So the fundraising site is fine for that. But they have raised almost $70k.

And there has been no disclosure about where the money has gone. The mother has posted a bunch of instagram pictures of a number of vacations since his death - especially check out the one in August 2014. It must have cost a pretty penny.

I would personally rather donate to a kid's charity.

http://instagram.com/babyboybakery/

http://www.gofundme.com/8xx8ao

Oh god the gofundme for the new bathroom.

I will say this: a lot of the gofundme's that seem to be of a more personal nature (help me move, honeymoon) are not intended to be for the public. They're just using the site to give their friends and family a place to donate, but the site doesn't offer privacy options to limit who can see what. Smart people will explain this or add a disclaimer to their gofundme, slightly dumber ones will just word it in a way that it is obvious that they mean that.

There's also shit like this:
    http://www.gofundme.com/AmericaAgain
    Ah! I never realized that. It just always looked to me like they were asking the public at large. However, asking family and friends for handouts for a $45k kitchen remodel et al still rubs me the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    So, here's a good discussion topic regarding these sites. Last year, a couple lost their three year old son when he ran out onto the road chasing a frisbee. Sad. Anyway, because his mother is a blogger, someone started a GoFundMe Site for them. Now keep in mind, both parents are employed, seemingly comfortable/normal money-wise. I get that funerals, especially unexpected ones can cost a lot. So the fundraising site is fine for that. But they have raised almost $70k.

And there has been no disclosure about where the money has gone. The mother has posted a bunch of instagram pictures of a number of vacations since his death - especially check out the one in August 2014. It must have cost a pretty penny.

Me too. Ugh.
    Getting arrested for coke in Vegas is like being found eating a chocolate bar in the willy wonka factory.

Yeah I'm not cool on that at all. They basically profited off of their kids death. Guess it's not so bad then, eh?

I mean, if that's how people choose to spend/give their money, fine. But it will never be me.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Yeah, there is a big difference between needing $75k to provide medical care for your son and wanting $75k to throw him a lavish funeral.

Well, holy fucking shit.

Okay, when is it enough??

Yeah, nice vaca pics. Waist deep in the tropics. How lovely for her.

People are STILL donating.

I personally only donate if I know the situation directly, or a friend of a friend knows what's happening directly.

As far as the wedding thing goes, I don't think that's bad, but just a general "Hey we're re-doing the kitchen and could use your help!" <- that's greedy and shitty. As far as weddings go, I always try to give what I think the bride and groom would really want, if they really want a blender, shit, even though I think it's dumb, I'll get it for them. If they request cash, I have no problem giving them cash. And if they have a honeymoon website, I'll happily contribute to that.

Side note: one of my favorite wedding gifts was from a friend who knew where we were going on honeymoon, researched a really nice restaurant in that area, and got us a gift card for an really nice dinner on our honeymoon. Loved that gift

Because I read this site and about cases, I've seen some pretty shady funding sites.
    Especially when a case is getting big, all of a sudden a few funding sites will pop up for that person. Then a few days later, you will hear from the family saying they did not start that site.

I don't trust any of them.

Now if it's somebody I know and I know the situation- yes, I would donate.

Funerals are very expensive. Usually they are unexpectant and most funeral homes don't take payment plans. If you are next of kin- you are usually f'ed.
    I would never donate to somebody's funding site for a funeral. Now...if they gave me the name of the funeral home- I would call the funeral home directly and pay something.

What's fucked is that funerals don't have to be expensive. The industry is corrupt and exploitive. They take advantage of people in pain and in a fog.

I strongly suggest everyone read The American Way of Death at some point.
    http://www.amazon.com/The-American-W.../dp/0679771867

when i worked at the mortuary, i think the cheapest thing they would offer was cremation for 250. they put you in a cardboard box in the clothes you died in or naked and voila! you're gone. you come back in a plastic bag placed inside a brown box.

now, if you decided to have a viewing, with or without embalming, there was a slew of other charges for prepping the body and renting the casket and the chapel. actual funeral fees were outrageous, even then. i think the average from start to finish was about 7,000.

i just want the cardboard fire option and then a party at the park. with booze. and music. and some shouting, please, along with laughing.

also, if you guys can blow something up, that would be nice. please and thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

What's fucked is that funerals don't have to be expensive. The industry is corrupt and exploitive. They take advantage of people in pain and in a fog.

I strongly suggest everyone read The American Way of Death at some point.
    http://www.amazon.com/The-American-W.../dp/0679771867
    This. Totally.

I guess people browse GoFundMe. If people browse and contribute to people they don't even know, they must have a few screws loose.

Really, it's different if you read an article, or come across the link some other way. At least you know some of the back story. To go looking for someone to donate to, why would you do that?

As far as taxes go, they must have to supply a Social Security#, the IRS will be notified as soon as it reaches a certain amount. If it's a charity or other tax exempt group, they would have an ID# and card. For example, the Girl Scouts.

There are lists on the web of "good" and "bad" charities, based on the $$$ that actually gets to the needy. Here's one list of the "best" charities with a link to the "worst". So, if in you're in the mood for giving, check it out.
    http://givalike.org/Public/Blog/Amer...Charities.aspx

lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

This British couple got a lot of online abuse after setting up a donations page to help them out, after their baby was born 11 weeks early while they were on holiday in New York. They were asking for help with medical bills, then the hospital waived the fee, so they then asked for money for living expenses, until someone pointed out they are in a Ronald MacDonald House, which is free. They then said they wanted the money to buy stuff for the baby/pay the bills back home etc etc. It all kicked off massively, and now I see the donations are going directly to Ronald McDonald House Charities. What the original donations went towards, I don't know. Their travel insurance also paid up. The couple themselves aren't exactly skint, they flew to New York first class for a start. I don't think they expected quite so much animosity from the general public though!

Anyhow, here's the facebook page, and thank goodness, the little baby is doing brilliantly.

https://www.facebook.com/helpdax

There was one I was reading not to long ago asking for assistance with funeral costs and general funds to keep the family going. In the plea for money they specifically stated what medical condition the person had died from and that they knew he had the condition for years. They said they were completely shocked by his death and how unexpected it was but if you looked up the condition, the number one cause of death was what this person dies from. While I feel heart broken that they lost their husband, after, uncle etc. all I could think was "um…seriously, how was this so unexpected?" I have a rare medical condition that "could" cause me to die in my sleep at any point in time and I would hope my family wouldn't consider it an unexpected death. We all know it is pretty unlikely but totally possible….

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie May View Post
    This British couple got a lot of online abuse after setting up a donations page to help them out, after their baby was born 11 weeks early while they were on holiday in New York. They were asking for help with medical bills, then the hospital waived the fee, so they then asked for money for living expenses, until someone pointed out they are in a Ronald MacDonald House, which is free. They then said they wanted the money to buy stuff for the baby/pay the bills back home etc etc. It all kicked off massively, and now I see the donations are going directly to Ronald McDonald House Charities. What the original donations went towards, I don't know. Their travel insurance also paid up. The couple themselves aren't exactly skint, they flew to New York first class for a start. I don't think they expected quite so much animosity from the general public though!

Anyhow, here's the facebook page, and thank goodness, the little baby is doing brilliantly.

https://www.facebook.com/helpdax
    It sounds like they deserved it.

My hubb's cousin passed away this weekend, they started a gofundme because her dying wish was to not leave her husband and kids with medical bills to pay. She was such a sweet lady, fuck cancer. Fuck. It.

Holy shit, Puzz. That guy is fucking scummy!

I'm starting a charity for my dog right now. Today the vet said he likely had a thyroid condition. I bet he's depressed about that and could use some cash.

Quote Originally Posted by debk589 View Post
    My hubb's cousin passed away this weekend, they started a gofundme because her dying wish was to not leave her husband and kids with medical bills to pay. She was such a sweet lady, fuck cancer. Fuck. It.
    I'm so sorry. I've known of real ones and bullshit ones. It's hard though. So many are on hard times and scammers ruin it.
    Jenn

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBeWithMe View Post
    Holy shit, Puzz. That guy is fucking scummy!

I'm starting a charity for my dog right now. Today the vet said he likely had a thyroid condition. I bet he's depressed about that and could use some cash.
    My dogs want us to have a houseboat and a beach house.

Thread Information