Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Scarlet Taylor (5) died of H3N2 flu

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    With all due respect, I'm not anti vaccine. I have had nothing but bad experiences with the flu shot and that's my preference if I decide not to get one. I shouldn't be chastised because of it. The last time I got the flu was 11 years ago. And I was vaccinated. Every year I was vaccinated I got it. Every year since that I haven't been, I haven't. So there's my personal track record.

If the vaccine were more effective, I could see blaming people who don't get it. But it's extremely unfair to point the finger at them when as far as I can see, people who get the vaccine are spreading the flu just as much as those who didn't vaccinate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

I don't categorize the Flu Vaccine the same way I do Measles and all the other shit. I don't even consider the Flu shot a vaccine, really. Not until they figure out a way to make it 100% effective and can control the strains.

Until then it's really more like Emergen-C, really.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

My sister got whooping cough and it was one of the most horrible things I have ever witnessed.

My old doctor is a GP and he sucked. He really turned me off to go to doctors. Every time I went to him for something, he automatically assumed it was a mental issue, and I was very offended by that. Every single issue I had was eventually found/diagnosed by another doctor. I just go to him for vaccines now.

If I'm really sick I go to one of those Little Clinics in Krogers. I won't go unless I'm very sick though. Last time I went I had a sinus and double ear infection. I just went because I couldn't sleep for like a week and felt like I was dying.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Shins View Post
    I don't categorize the Flu Vaccine the same way I do Measles and all the other shit. I don't even consider the Flu shot a vaccine, really. Not until they figure out a way to make it 100% effective and can control the strains.

Until then it's really more like Emergen-C, really.
    I feel the same way. My pediatrician's office is VERY pro vaccine (like, they won't accept anti-vaccers), but they leave the flu vaccine as optional while nothing else is. I always get the boys a flu vaccine, but hubbs and I never get one.

Flu is a weird thing. I'll grant you that. It seems to be able to change it's make up so fast, whereas some of the old standbys like Polio change little over the years. Even in light flu years there are often 3 or 4 major flus circulating. The vaccine is formulated with the best guess as to what will be "going around" 18 months from now. It is truly like nailing jello to the wall.

But the vaccine doesn't cause the flu. The fact that you get sick when you had a vaccine only means the vaccine wasn't effective against whatever you caught, which may well have not been the flu, but maybe RSV or... Now you may have an allergic reaction to the vaccine, and in that case you get a pass from being vaccinated, but then it's in your best interest to encourage others to get their damn shots.

This is all just my opinion. Take it or leave it. But why do you care if I think people who don't do everything they can to avoid the crud and avoid sharing their crud are irresponsible?
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

I'm down with all of the other vaccines. I still have to get the Chicken Pox one again. I got the initial vaccine but not the booster. Like Shins, I don't put it in the same category. If it personally works for some folks, go for it. And I don't tell people they shouldn't get it. It just doesn't do good things for me. I don't know if it's because I have an auto immune or what. But it's always thrown me in to a relapse after getting it and later ended up with the flu anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    It might not. But afraid? Seriously? See this is why I get all ugly with the anti vaxers. Your arm may be a bit sore. But that's the worst that's likely to happen. This years flu shot is less effective than others have been, but it should still reduce your risk of getting the flu and lessen the impact of the flu if you do get it.

So yeah. I personally think anyone who turns down a vaccine that has the probability of helping you avoid this nasty bug is acting stupidly.
    Not afraid as in "OMG! SHOTS!" but afraid as in, "I see stories about people who get the flu shot and then immediately fall ill".

Is it really that helpful? That's what I am trying to ascertain.

P.S. Puzz called me stupid. What higher court do I report that to?
    Last edited by PeaceBeWithMe; 01-15-2015 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I'm down with all of the other vaccines. I still have to get the Chicken Pox one again. I got the initial vaccine but not the booster. Like Shins, I don't put it in the same category. If it personally works for some folks, go for it. And I don't tell people they shouldn't get it. It just doesn't do good things for me. I don't know if it's because I have an auto immune or what. But it's always thrown me in to a relapse after getting it and later ended up with the flu anyway.
    See, you would be one who maybe shouldn't get the shot. We always debate about Mom (who also has MS) we do get her the shot and she hasn't had the flu in a good ten years, so that's good. But it does knock her down for a few days and sometimes she has an illness afterwards. But it's demonstrably not been the flu.

Have you had the tests to verify it's flu you have when you had you attacks? I'd be interested in finding out because so many people think they have the flu and it's really norvo virus or rsv or...

It's hard to be an amateur md.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

I've gotten into heated arguments with people on here about how the flu vaccine cannot make you sick (unless you have an allergic reaction to it). You are a smart person who is pretty level headed so I respect you enough to not argue with you. I would look into other factors causing the relapse. I think the reason the vax hasn't worked for you in the past is because you probably picked up another strain of the virus since you have immune system issues. The vax only protects you from 1 strain, and as Puzzld said, the virus mutates constantly.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    I've gotten into heated arguments with people on here about how the flu vaccine cannot make you sick (unless you have an allergic reaction to it). You are a smart person who is pretty level headed so I respect you enough to not argue with you. I would look into other factors causing the relapse. I think the reason the vax hasn't worked for you in the past is because you probably picked up another strain of the virus since you have immune system issues. The vax only protects you from 1 strain, and as Puzzld said, the virus mutates constantly.
    ETA: you probably also picked up something at your doctors office. I don't like going there when I'm healthy because it's full of sick people and germs.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    ETA: you probably also picked up something at your doctors office. I don't like going there when I'm healthy because it's full of sick people and germs.
    God's truth that! Sickest I've been in years is when I went to the doctor a few years ago for a pre-op check. Went in well and 5 days later I was coughing and weezing... so sick. Too sick for my op. I blame the doctors visit, but of course work is a pest hole too. People stop at the library to pick up a book or a movie to watch during their illnesses and sneeze all over the staff.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBeWithMe View Post
    Not afraid as in "OMG! SHOTS!" but afraid as in, "I see stories about people who get the flu shot and then immediately fall ill".

Is it really that helpful? That's what I am trying to ascertain.

P.S. Puzz called me stupid. What higher court do I report that to?
    Ahem, there's a difference between acting stupid and being stupid. If you are really stupid, there's no hope for you. If you're only "acting" you can quit any time.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Ahem, there's a difference between acting stupid and being stupid. If you are really stupid, there's no hope for you. If you're only "acting" you can quit any time.

Ah ha ha ha ha!

I you.

You know, you're right. I think I will call the doc today. I keep thinking these things "don't matter" but, given the fact that I have had meningitis three times now, I should err on the side of caution and keep all potential "yuck" outta my body.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

It was indeed confirmed flu when I would get it. Colds I don't bother with the doctor and even in my smoking years when it would start getting bronchial I'd hold off to see if I could fight it myself. But I recognize the flu all too well and always go to the doctor if I get it. Knock on wood it's been over a decade now. One of my clients just got out of being in the hospital for a week with pneumonia brought on by the flu. Nothing steams me more than when we show up to walk a dog and they're home sick. It's like "THANKS A MILLION! Now we'll get sick and have to continue to work because we don't have such things as 'sick days'. YAY".

It was indeed confirmed flu when I would get it. Colds I don't bother with the doctor and even in my smoking years when it would start getting bronchial I'd hold off to see if I could fight it myself. But I recognize the flu all too well and always go to the doctor if I get it. Knock on wood it's been over a decade now. One of my clients just got out of being in the hospital for a week with pneumonia brought on by the flu. Nothing steams me more than when we show up to walk a dog and they're home sick. It's like "THANKS A MILLION! Now we'll get sick and have to continue to work because we don't have such things as 'sick days'. YAY".
    It could be that with a screwy immune system the shots just don't take. And that's different than healthy people who choose not to do their part to protect the herd.

Yeah Cough, weeze, the doctor said to go home, but I need to get a book... I have a bit more sympathy for those poor wretches standing in line at the pharmacy filling their scripts... but damn why not use the drive thru pick up window if you have that choice.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBeWithMe View Post
    Ah ha ha ha ha!

I you.

You know, you're right. I think I will call the doc today. I keep thinking these things "don't matter" but, given the fact that I have had meningitis three times now, I should err on the side of caution and keep all potential "yuck" outta my body.
    I think it's a good call. Even if you do come down with the flu (hopefully not) the shot is supposed to make it a milder case.

Hi everyone,

I came across this thread. I am Scarlet Taylor's mother. Thank you for sharing the article.

Hi everyone,

I came across this thread. I am Scarlet Taylor's mother.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca Taylor View Post
    Hi everyone,

I came across this thread. I am Scarlet Taylor's mother. Thank you for sharing the article.
    I am sorry for your loss Mrs. Taylor

hi rebecca! welcome to mds and i'm really sorry for your loss. I was just rereading the article and i am so impressed with how strong you are, even right after scarlet passed, using the opportunity to ask other mothers to take caution... you probably saw the varying responses in this thread. there is the overwhelming belief that the flu is just another sickness, but for a small child or anyone without a fully developed immune system it can be so dangerous.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

My goal is to bring awareness to the public and educating on the flu. I never thought the flu was deadly. I hope to educate others.
    Please join https://www.facebook.com/groups/scarletteamscarlet/

Welcome Rebecca! I'm so very sorry for the loss of Scarlet. My heart goes out to you

Thanks for turning this tragedy in to something that will make a change and educate people. That's amazing of you to do.

Our condolences.

Yes. Thank you for what you are doing. Your loss is heartbreaking and to be willing to reach out to help others at such a time is admirable. My Mother got the flu in Feb in spite of the fact that she'd had a flu shot. We very nearly lost her and she's still not 100% back to where she was before she got sick, but I credit the fact that she'd had the shot with helping her survive.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/T...307994621.html
    When a thief stole a Tacoma mom's phone, it probably seemed like a low-level crime. But it hits this mom hard in the heart. Her 5-year-old daughter died of the flu last winter, and the phone holds all of her photos.
    Rebecca Taylor wore a sweatshirt with a sketch of her daughter Scarlet while describing the little girl's sudden death.

"She got sent home from school on Wednesday, December 17th and passed away just two days later on December 19th. She was only five," Rebecca said.

Some of Scarlet's pictures are preserved on Rebecca's Facebook page. But her top post - shared nearly 2,000 times since yesterday - is a plea to a crook. Rebecca wrote, "To the not very nice person who stole my phone at DSHS in tacoma on State Street. I hope you log in my facebook and see this. My 5 year old daughter passed away in December and i have so many pictures and videos of my little girl that i can never get back. Please. If you want my phone then take it but if you could be so kind to save all my pictures to the SD card thats already in my phone and mail it to PO BOX 111733 Tacoma, WA 98411. Im devestated."

Rebecca said she set her phone down and turned her back for just a moment, and someone swiped it in seconds. She hopes the thief has a heart.

"I need those pictures back. You can have the phone. Just let me have my pictures, please," she said.

Rebecca guesses as many as 5,000 photos are lost. Other than Scarlet's ashes, those pictures are all she had left. "All her pictures from when she was a baby all the way up to til she passed away. I don't have a laptop where I uploaded them. My cell phone was my laptop."

Losing her daughter was devastating. Losing her phone? It's a low blow for a mother still grieving.

"That's all I have of her, is what's on that phone," Rebecca said.

Rebecca also needs the photos to carry on a cause in Scarlet's name. She started the "Fight the Flu Foundation" to educate parents about getting their kids flu shots and to recognize when the flu might turn deadly.

Thread Information