Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: "Grateful Doe" identified as Jason Callahan after twenty years

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    I think it makes perfect sense that she tried to do something in the beginning but was left with her hands tied by the authorities. He WAS technically an adult. And they would have taken the side of "If he wants to be a nomadic deadhead he's allowed". Besides the fact that she couldn't give them an area that he went missing from. By the looks of her FB, she leans pretty far to the right. A deadhead is anything BUT right-leaning. So she possibly thought he didn't want to be found.

Some of those comments on that Daily Mail article are terrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by hamdinger125 View Post
    I was reading some discussion about this on another forum. I don't necessarily think she is a bad mom. Jason was a legal adult when he left, and we don't know how often they were in contact. Even if she did think something was wrong and wanted to report him missing, she probably wouldn't know what precinct to report him missing from, as he was following The Dead around at the time. Also, with nothing more to go on than "my adult son left home and I haven't heard from him in a while" to go on, many cops probably wouldn't have taken her seriously.
    yes, this. He was an adult and he chose a nomadic lifestyle. My brother is like this. Sometimes we hear from him, sometimes we don't. Asking someone to check on him is often a needle in a haystack.

Quote Originally Posted by hamdinger125 View Post
    I was reading some discussion about this on another forum. I don't necessarily think she is a bad mom. Jason was a legal adult when he left, and we don't know how often they were in contact. Even if she did think something was wrong and wanted to report him missing, she probably wouldn't know what precinct to report him missing from, as he was following The Dead around at the time. Also, with nothing more to go on than "my adult son left home and I haven't heard from him in a while" to go on, many cops probably wouldn't have taken her seriously.

I was calling her the "worst mom ever" because that's how the newspaper article titled it.

I think nowdays they take missing people way more serious, but back in those days they didn't...especially if it was an adult.

Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    I was calling her the "worst mom ever" because that's how the newspaper article titled it.

I think nowdays they take missing people way more serious, but back in those days they didn't...especially if it was an adult.
    It was a lot easier to drop off the grid back then too. Not many people had cell phones or email. Very easy to lose touch with people; especially if he was the nomadic type.

Quote Originally Posted by PunkerDuckie View Post
    I'm just gonna leave this here... https://www.facebook.com/margaretta.evans.9
    Read through that entire wall of bullshit...Only 2 mentions of Jason...on his birthday, always in conjunction with her dead sister. Yeah,, I think she is a shitty Mom, too

Oh wow. Both of her children from her first marriage are now gone. How heartbreaking. I can't fathom that.
    Margaretta Evans Eric is my grandsom from my first marrige to Dennis Callahan, we had a daughter Lisa an a son Jason.
    Margaretta Evans Lisa passed away a month before Eric's 7th birthday.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

From the FB page -

The DNA section of Jason Callahan's NamUs profile recently changed to 'tests complete.' Please say prayers for Jason C's mother as well as his extended family and friends. We are hopeful we will hear results soon. We do not know the results and we do not know if his family knows the results. At this point both NamUs profiles for Jason Callahan and Grateful Doe are still open and active. Prayers and good vibes for all involved are appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    From the FB page -

The DNA section of Jason Callahan's NamUs profile recently changed to 'tests complete.' Please say prayers for Jason C's mother as well as his extended family and friends. We are hopeful we will hear results soon. We do not know the results and we do not know if his family knows the results. At this point both NamUs profiles for Jason Callahan and Grateful Doe are still open and active. Prayers and good vibes for all involved are appreciated!
    This case pops in to my head from time to time and just the other day I wondered if the results came through. I'm voting that it's him.

Over 7 mths later & they're both still up on NAMUS but Jason Callaghan isn't on the exclusion list for Grateful Doe yet & vice versa

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/6095

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/27394/0/

Edit - explanation from the fb linked on pg 1 of this thread

Grateful Doe
    October 15 at 10:12am ? Edited ?
    UPDATE 10/14/15
    OK so I got a small update today by phone.

The reason it has been taking so long is it has been going through multiple states between Texas,California,Virginia,South Carolina and New Jersey so going through getting approval takes a while when 5 states are involved.

Also as Jason's mothers Dna is complete it has came back inconclusive and the reason for that is our dna from mother and father are not 50/50 so with that being said they need to get a closer dna sample to the father to match. And so now they are going to be getting 5 more samples from Jason's father's children with the male dna being the most important because he is a son and also a male as Jason was.

Now with all the cost of dna tests and so on they have to go through the process of approving all this. Now we are not sure how much longer this can take as it is not up to the detective, he is working his butt off trying to get this all pushed through and the others dna sent in. Now with so many new dna samples this can take a few months or longer so I'm asking everyone to please stay patient and remember that we will get awnsers at some point.

So please pray for everyone involved including Jason's mother,sister and family and everyone working on the case as this has got to be very frustrating for them. So with all this being said when results come it will be posted to the top of the page for all to see when we are able to release them. I also recommend checking back every once in a while & liking and commenting on all posts so these posts stay in your news feeds. Please also feel free to share so others following the case can also see the update. Thanks everyone for being so patient and sticking with us through this long process. Much ♡ everyone.-Lesha

*Also a reminder to keep all posts positive and encouraging*
    Last edited by blighted star; 11-26-2015 at 12:23 AM.

Seriously. It's frustrating. I looked it up a couple of months ago and saw no progress. It's got to be him.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    It is crazy frustrating.

As frustrating as it is for myself, I can't imagine how his family is dealing with it. It's so damn close, yet far. I do have strong feelings that it's him.

According to the Grateful Doe FB, he is indeed Jason Callahan.
    https://www.facebook.com/GratefulDoe...type=3&fref=nf

Although we were pretty sure, it's good to have confirmation finally. Now he can be laid to rest. RIP Jason.

RIP Jason.

Merry Christmas Jason. Welcome home.
    We are each our own devil and we make this world our own hell...Oscar Wilde

I'm a bit befuddled by his family's response. Or lack of. Wouldn't you at least want to thank the hundreds of people that worked to identify him?

http://wpde.com/news/local/grateful-...rtle-beach-man

A missing Myrtle Beach man who came to be known as Grateful Doe and went missing in Virginia in 1995 has been identified.

According to family, they got the call today that through DNA evidence the person killed in Virginia in a car wreck was their son Jason Callahan.

The family, however, did not want to comment any further on the matter.

A lab at the University of North Texas helped process some of the DNA samples in order to make the association, according to J. Todd Matthews, director of case management and communications with The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System.

He's called Grateful Doe, because he was wearing a Grateful Dead T-shirt and had two tickets to their show in his pants pocket the day he died.

No one claimed his body, and police in Virginia have been trying to solve the case ever since.

In January, a Myrtle Beach woman filed a missing persons report for her son Jason Callahan.

According to police, Callahan has not been seen or heard from since June of 1995 when he left to follow the band The Grateful Dead.

According to the Virginia Department of Health, Callahan died from acute head injuries. His death was ruled an accident.

Yup, Mom seems totally over it. Very, very odd
    "A dog is the only thing on Earth that loves you more than he loves himself." ~Josh Billings

Between the ocean and shitty farm fields, California
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    I'm a bit befuddled by his family's response. Or lack of. Wouldn't you at least want to thank the hundreds of people that worked to identify him?
    Maybe they are just overwhelmed.
    Quote Originally Posted by UncomfortablyNumb View Post
    I want that fucking meat.

Senior Member UncomfortablyNumb's Avatar
    I'm so glad he was identified. And I'd be overwhelmed if I were them too.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    She transitioned from a stupid asshole to a dumb bitch.

Wow, it seems odd to finally see this solved....but good. Glad he got his name back and his friends and family have answers.

We also don't know how much criticism they've endured since this case went viral. I'm sure his Family has heard it all from the armchair investigators. We already came to the conclusion that his Mom tried to report him missing but couldn't because where did he go missing from? He was an adult and allowed to go missing if he wanted to. I'm sure the police didn't make it easy on her. To them he was a dude following "The Dead".

Maybe they felt it was better to say nothing at all.

I found this
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyCooper View Post
    Yup, Mom seems totally over it. Very, very odd
    Meh, I don't think it's that odd. He's been missing for over 20 years, I'm sure she's already grieved and tried to move on and just wants it to be over at this point, and for him to be quietly laid to rest.

The message from Jason's sister was really nice and heartfelt.

Thread Information