Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Serial - The Podcast. The death of Hae Min Lee.

Serial - The Podcast. The death of Hae Min Lee.

It's Baltimore, 1999. Hae Min Lee, a popular high-school senior, disappears after school one day. Six weeks later detectives arrest her classmate and ex-boyfriend, Adnan Syed, for her murder. He says he's innocent - though he can't exactly remember what he was doing on that January afternoon. But someone can. A classmate at Woodlawn High School says she knows where Adnan was. The trouble is, she's nowhere to be found.
    http://serialpodcast.org

I'm not sure if anyone else is listening to this podcast, other than myself, but I'd highly recommend it and would love to hear others opinions on this murder.

It's a 12 episode podcast by the people who do This American Life on NPR.

My opinion right now is that Adnan was falsely convicted.
    Last edited by PeaceBeWithMe; 01-02-2015 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

Just popping in to add that I'm not completely done with the show yet, but I'm a little surprised that they managed to convict this boy on so little evidence thus far.

So you can only hear the podcast at that link? I thought you could hear it on sirius radio, or maybe I misheard that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

I'm not sure, Beli. I found it at the link and normally just listen on my cell when I'm calling it a night.

Let me check around and see if it is available anywhere else.

Stand by!

also, maybe a mod could move the thread to the movies/movies/music forum? Would that be where it should go?
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers

http://serialpodcast.org/how-to-listen

Yes, mods, please move if need be! I wasn't sure where to place it.

Beli, see the above link. I imagine it might have been available when they were doing the show weekly and live, but now it looks like it may just be an internet event.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBeWithMe View Post
    http://serialpodcast.org/how-to-listen

Yes, mods, please move if need be! I wasn't sure where to place it.

Beli, see the above link. I imagine it might have been available when they were doing the show weekly and live, but now it looks like it may just be an internet event.
    awesome, thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    awesome, thanks for the info!
    Enjoy! Let me know what you think! It's pretty riveting stuff.

http://www.businessinsider.com/anoth...in-lee-2014-12

Here's an interesting article on how The Innocence Project is trying to get evidence retested as they've identified another possible accused in the murder.
    Last edited by PeaceBeWithMe; 01-02-2015 at 05:05 PM.

Here are some relevant links with information:

www.splitthemoon.com : Rabia's blog. Rabia is the one who turned Sarah onto Adnan's case, and is friends with Adnan. She is bias, for obvious reasons, but her writing style makes for a good read and she is releasing documents related to the case/trial. This is where she first was blogging along with the podcast and was keeping her opinions (and documents) in sync with the podcast out of respect of Sarah K. Now that the podcast is over, she is releasing documents bit by bit. She was pretty good about redacting names as Sarah K did in the podcast, only releasing names/full names, of those who'd given permission to Sarah but as she has no agreement or connection to Serial has thrown that to the wayside. For the transcripts and whatnot she is only redacting the last names of those who were in high school/under 18 at the time of the crime/trial. As all of these are public record, she truly has no obligation. She also is redacting Mr.S' name as he has a record, as well as "Cathy"notherrealname's name because (as far as I can tell) she has connections to the police department? Not sure.

The Reddit community dedicated to the Serial Podcast: http://www.reddit.com/r/serialpodcast/ Can be hard to navigate if you're not familar with Reddit (like me) but it has some interesting information and discussions. This is where a lot of information about Jay first came out, and a response to his interview (linked below) where it's shown he lied about a screen cap is posted. I've been browsing it but haven't dared try to get involved - way too complicated for my taste.

Jay's (3 part) interview: Though he refused to speak to Sarah for Serial, and again after it was over, Jay ended up giving a 3 part - very interesting interview to another journalist. Spoiler alert: he changes his story again: https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2...ial-case-pt-1/

http://viewfromll2.com/ - another blog, written by a DC lawyer. This lawyer has no connection to the case, but was a Serial listener and got involved that way. She plots out/breaks down the call logs and timeline really well. The blog is worth a read.

http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/evi...-murderin.html - another lawyer blog that has a post for each episode discussing legal matters. I haven't gotten to each post but it's interesting just reading the post I've linked so far.

ETA: Oh yeah - looking up all the maps and the photos are great too. It's especially great for me because I'm 97% sure I've been in this area. Part of the mystery for me is figuring out how the fuck I know this area as well as I'm recalling. I know the 695/70 interchange well, it's how I used to go up to Bmore from where I used to live in Maryland. And Security Blvd is very familar to me. So, yeah - I'm trying to figure that part out.

There ya go!
    Last edited by Miller22; 01-04-2015 at 10:22 AM.

Awesome stuff! Thanks, Miller! I've read the three part interview, but haven't dug past that yet as I still have two podcasts to go. This will be great for followup reading when I'm done. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBeWithMe View Post
    Awesome stuff! Thanks, Miller! I've read the three part interview, but haven't dug past that yet as I still have two podcasts to go. This will be great for followup reading when I'm done. :-)
    Basically Jay is a huge liar and can't keep his shit straight.

Here is a map of relevant locations from the crime/podcast: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...U.kQFffQE6h2vk

Here are other maps, including a video of the supposed trips taken on the day according to Jay: http://www.reddit.com/r/serialpodcas...ial_redditors/

Huffpost has an article just about relevant photos that help visualize things related to the case. Here are a few from this article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/1...n_6308356.html

Hae Min Lee(center):

(the Huffpost article has the interview Hae Lee did the day she was killed/went missing)

Adnan Syed (15 years ago):

(a better - and more recent photos) of Adnan are located on Rabia's blog)

Jay Wilds:

Jay's photo came from another article, linked within the Huffpost article: found here There are more photos and info in that article.

Cristina Gutierrez:

A face to that voice I wish we had video of here. wow

Here is an imgur account/page with a slew of photos taken/posted by a redditor that are related to the case/podcast: http://imgur.com/a/0WxQx

This is the log, in Leakin Park, where Hae's body was found:
    Last edited by Miller22; 01-04-2015 at 02:25 PM. Reason: added more photos/links

So that's the infamous log?

I still can't help but wonder how that guy found the body when even certified crime scene techs couldn't see it when they were practically standing on her.

Given that this is the second* utility (related) worker that has gone to piss in the woods and has stumbled onto a body, if I were in that field I'd stick to gas stations.

*Roy Kronk

Ah, good 'ol Roy. He's suing the National Enquirer for fifteen million right now. Doubt he'll get it, but if he nets even a dime, I guess that pee stop was worth it.

I do feel bad for Mr. S. It seems he is just a random guy who found a body. And his past is totally gonna be dug up by a bunch internet wannabe-detectives. Who knows how he saw it so easily, but yeah.

I'm not sure why, but Cathy has always intrigued me in this whole thing. I figured out who she is from the transcripts - Christina vinson - and can't find squat on her. Damn it! Why does she brother me so much?

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    I downloaded the first episode. I listen to podcasts ALL the time walking dogs and such. I'll subscribe to it and check it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar

That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

The convicted killer at the center of a podcast that raised questions about his guilt and whether he had a fair trial will seek to call an alibi witness who has never before testified and include her testimony in his request for a new trial.
    The Maryland Court of Special Appeals issued an order Monday remanding the case of Adnan Syed to a lower court so the testimony of a witness who was never interviewed can be added to the record.
    That witness, Asia McClain, said in an affidavit that she was in a library with Syed at the time he is said to have killed his ex-girlfriend Hae Min Lee.

Syed had asked the appeals court for a new trial, arguing his attorney failed to adequately represent him.
    The 34-year-old was convicted and sentenced to life in prison in 2000 for Lee's mur

Last year, the Serial podcast reopened the case in weekly installments, drawing in millions of listeners as host Sarah Koenig used the podcast to investigate the case and raised questions about Syed's defense attorney, the late Cristina Gutierrez.
    Syed's current attorney, Justin Brown, asked for a new trial based on the fact that Gutierrez never called McClain as a witness and did not seek a plea deal for Syed despite his request that she inquire about the possibility.
    Additionally, in her affidavit, McClain said she was actively discouraged by prosecutors from attending any post-conviction hearings.
    The appeals court's order does not guarantee McClain will be allowed to testify, but rather states that Syed may file a request with the Baltimore Circuit Court to reopen proceedings to 'supplement the record with relevant documents and even testimony' that the appeals court will later review as it makes a determination about whether Syed deserves a new trial.

'This is another big step in the right direction, and it brings us closer to our ultimate goal of getting a new trial for Adnan Syed," Brown said.
    McClain's attorney, Gary Proctor, said 'if subpoenaed by either party, Ms. McClain, as she's always wanted to do, will fulfill her obligation to testify truthfully to any question asked of her.'
    Syed was just 17-years-old at the time of Lee's death, whose body was not found until three weeks after her disappearance.
    His first trial ended in a mistrial after Gutierrez accused the judge of calling her a liar in front of the jury.
    He was convicted of her murder in his second trial, though has firmly maintained his innocence in the years since he was sentenced.
    McClain first filed an affidavit in January saying she would be willing to testify.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3afWPrk33
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

There's a new podcast for this, called undisclosed.

Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    There's a new podcast for this, called undisclosed.
    It only just now occurred to me to look for a thread for this case, I'm surprised it's so short! I kinda forgot about Serial after I listened, then I heard the case was going to be reopened, and found about about the undisclosed podcast as well and have now listened to all of them as well. Did anyone else listen? I mean there is a lot of info discussed, but for some reason what sticks out in my mind most from what was discussed is the tapping on the interrogation tapes. That was just incredible.

Bowe Bergdahl is season 2.

I thought after serial Adnan was innocent. I have researched more I now believe he is guilty....along with Jay.
    This is mainly based on these points
    1) I do not believe Adnan and Jay were casual friends. I believe they were in fact quite good mates. At that age your two most prized possessions for most people would be their phone and car. You don't lend them to just anybody. Why lie about your friendship ?
    2) Adnans lack of calls to Hae after he found out she was missing.
    3) Haes diary entries stating Adnan still wasn't taking the break up well and was worried about his behaviour.etc....
    4) There was a note between Adnan and Hae written as if they were next to each other one writing passing it to the other who replies .They are discussing the break up. Hae writes: You will live. Adnan replies: Im going to kill

That's all , saw it bumped and thought I'd add my two cents worth since I've recently changed my opinion.
    http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/1/7/a/17a7...b3032a9767a86f
    This is a good read goes more into the cell pings and Jens involvement in the cover up.
    https://m.reddit.com/r/serialpodcast...ing_the_facts/
    Last edited by Kelly-Jane; 12-21-2015 at 09:40 PM.

Thread Information