Thread: Amber Gray (14) died of Influenza A

Amber Gray (14) died of Influenza A

The Polk County Medical Examiner?s Office says since early November, they?ve listed influenza as the cause of death on seven death certificates. Two of those were children. However, the Iowa Department of Public Health says it is working to confirm three primary reports of flu deaths of people under the age of 18.

Fourteen-year?old Amber Gray loved reading and drawing according to her uncle Adam Broman.

?She was completely healthy, nothing wrong with her. Yeah just a healthy typical 14-year-old girl which makes what happens to her that much more shocking.?

ALthough Gray had gotten the flu shot, she complained of flu-like symptoms on December 21st. The following day things quickly got worse.

?My sister and brother-in-law took her to the urgent care Monday night thinking she had strep but she did not have strep,? says Broman. ?The next morning she had a temperature of 105 and was immediately taken by ambulance to Mercy Hospital and immediately put on ventilator.?

Five days later Amber died from pneumonia and sepsis; complications from influenza A. An almost identical situation happened to three-year-old Ayzlee McCarthy from Elk Horn. Her obituary says she was transferred from a hospital in Atlantic to Blank Children?s Hospital in Des Moines and died a short time later.

The Iowa Department of Public Health says the influenza A is by far the most severe and potentially deadly strain. The department predicts 1,000 Iowans will die this year from the virus and the Gray family never thought Amber would be one of them.

?Do not ignore signs like this because it`s amazing how quick something like this can happen. Just hug your sons and daughters when you can because it`s surprising how quickly something like this can happen.?

Gray?s funeral is on Saturday. The family has set up a Go Fund Me page to help pay for the medical and funeral expenses. Click here if you would like to donate.

http://whotv.com/2015/01/02/iowa-tee...mptoms-appear/
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

this is so sad. i hadn't read about this case, though i know the hospitals in des moines are bursting at the seems with flu cases right now. while the flu can be treated with tamiflu, it has to be taken with in the first few days of symptoms. there was at least one other child here that has died from flu A, she was three years old.

http://www.kcci.com/news/family-says...m-flu/30492650

notice no one is freaking out like they did about ebola.

All of these posts about influenza are getting a bit scary.

Does anyone here with medical knowledge know anything more about how it actually starts and why it can turn deadly so quickly?

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBeWithMe View Post
    All of these posts about influenza are getting a bit scary.

Does anyone here with medical knowledge know anything more about how it actually starts and why it can turn deadly so quickly?
    its a respiratory illness and it can cause pneumonia and other respiratory issues. it also comes with a high fever and you're often contagious for a few days before you even begin to feel ill. high fever can be dangerous alone, but if you can't breathe adequately and your immune system can't fight it off it can be deadly. this is why it is worse for children and older adults. kids don't have a strong enough immune system and older adults have other issues which compound and may also have a weaker immune response.

Thanks, Emmie. That helped quite a bit.

It's just so fucking scary. We've all had the flu this last few months, and twice two of us were pretty damned ill but we kept pushing on due to work and whatnot.

It's pretty frightening stuff.

i have asthma and went through 2 inhalers when i had the flu this season. now the insurance cut me off and i have to wait a month before i get another. i just wanted to stay alive!
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

OMG, Ani! That's complete and utter bullshit!

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBeWithMe View Post
    OMG, Ani! That's complete and utter bullshit!
    it's fine. i survived. i go practically the whole year without having to use it. i need it when going into houses with lots of animals and when exercising strenuously. otherwise, i don't usually have sudden attacks. from here on out, i'm going to pick up every single inhaler when they become available and hoard them. problem solved - i'll be ready for next year's flu!

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    i have asthma and went through 2 inhalers when i had the flu this season. now the insurance cut me off and i have to wait a month before i get another. i just wanted to stay alive!
    this kind of crap makes me rage. will you doctor give you samples? ugh. its good to know you don't have to rely on it that often. asthma is scary stuff. breathing is kind of important...

Quote Originally Posted by emmieslost View Post
    this kind of crap makes me rage. will you doctor give you samples? ugh. its good to know you don't have to rely on it that often. asthma is scary stuff. breathing is kind of important...
    you got that right... imagine how i felt when they outlawed primatine mist because of the stupid environment. i showed up at walgreens expecting an otc inhaler, you know... for breathing... and they offered to sell me some tablets.

wtf, world?

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    Well , how dare you

Some places don't allow samples anymore. I know here they can't but can give like discount prescriptions. My MIL worked for a doctor and the laws changed they wouldn't even allow sales reps to bring them lunch.

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    I had the flu, and I have asthma. I'm still congested. Nothing I do will clear my lungs. I can breath, but when I breath out of my mouth I sound like a dragon. It's like the lower part of my lungs are filled with fluid. It's been that way since November. It pisses me off, I smoked for over 10 years, and never had breathing problems. I quit smoking, and within a year I'm on an inhaler? Fml

Thread Information