Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: News Reports: 8 Children Found Dead After Stabbing On A Property At Manoora, Near Cairns In Nth Queenland

News Reports: 8 Children Found Dead After Stabbing On A Property At Manoora, Near Cairns In Nth Queenland

This broke minutes ago. Very few details but if early reports are accurate this is going to be our worst child murder as far as number of victims.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-1...s-home/5979452

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-1...s-home/5979452

Updated 12 minutes agoFri 19 Dec 2014, 1:43pm MAP: Manoora 4870

There has been a multiple stabbing at Cairns in far north Queensland, with reports of a number of fatalities.

It is feared the victims are children while a woman has been injured.

Emergency crews were called to an address in Manoora a short time ago. More details soon.

Damn. Might need to fix the title already - this report says police have confirmed 8 kids (it's a Murdoch rag though so hopefully they've rushed to dramatise tragedy to impress the boss again, or confused numbers by forgetting there's an adult in hospital)

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...89f8c9f08c7cd9

Police on scene at Manoora address

Nope. It's 8

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-1...abbing/5979452

Authorities have confirmed that eight children have been killed at Cairns in far north Queensland. It is understood there was a mass stabbing and a woman has been injured. Details of the tragedy are unclear.

Emergency crews were called to an address in Murray Street at Manoora around 12:30pm (AEST). A crime scene has been declared. ABC reporter Sharnie Kim says there are police at the property, which has a small park at the back.

"There are about a dozen police vehicles at the scene including the region's most senior detective inspectors," she said. "Part of the road has been blocked off and a police paddy wagon with lights flashing is at the property as well.

"The media are about 20 metres away from the property."* Police will hold a media briefing shortly.

I assumed it was a really bad domestic, but that mention of a park at the back worries me. Summer school holidays started in NSW yesterday, not sure about QLD, but right now I feel like shit for hoping this is one kind of an incident over another because either way it's the same horrific result (& no I don't mean ISIS, I just mean a bunch of unrelated kids getting caught up in someone's untreated insanity/untreatable personality disorder).

You'd be hard-pressed to find another example of such unspeakable horror, on such a perfect day, against such a beautiful natural backdrop.

Fuck this summer.
    Last edited by blighted star; 12-18-2014 at 06:18 PM.

I'm phone posting but just read on the Courier Mail fb that it's actually 8 kids, with the youngest being 18 months.

Link to scenes & info coming live from ABC Local in Cairns

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-1...abbing/5979544

Police statement - 8 kids aged 18 mths to 15 yrs

Where they don't have maps.......such as..
    Yup and the oldest being 15 years. Daycare maybe?

So was the woman also the perpetrator who then hurt herself?
    Quote Originally Posted by blighted star
    I was about to be annoyed that this thread was still active, but I see now it's morphed into offers of sex for chilli confectionary, so carry on guys :)

The school Christmas holidays have started in queensland already. So I suspect it was the mother who killed all her kids.

Also, the use of the word house makes it seem residential, and not a daycare or similar business. Sounds like the woman tried to slit her throat or maybe the partner killed the kids and tried to kill the woman. The article also says that the kids lived there with the stepfather.

http://www.news.com.au/national/quee...-1227161862831

POLICE have surrounded a house in the Cairns suburb of Manoora where eight children have been stabbed to death.
    Murray St has been blocked off as officers swarm the area. The children’s ages range between 18 months to 15 years.
    Two adults have been taken to hospital, including a 34-year-old woman with multiple stab wounds to her upper body and around her neck.
    “It’s very early days but (the woman) is in a stable condition,” Cairns Detective Inspector Bruno Asnicar said.
    “As it stands at the moment there’s no need for the public to be concerned about this other than it’s a tragic tragic event. The situation is well controlled at the moment there’s no concern for anyone else in the environment.

This is another live reporting link - lots more detail starting to come out

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/quee...16-128205.html

Bodies of eight children found in Cairns - what we know The bodies of eight children have been found at a home in Cairns in far north Queensland.

Here is what we know: Police were called to the house in Murray Street, in the Cairns suburb of Manoora, before midday after reports of a woman with serious injuries.

On examination of the house they found the bodies of eight children aged between 18 months and 15 years. The children had all been stabbed

A 34-year-old woman is being treated for injuries in hospital and is assisting police with their inquiries. She is not in police custody.

AAP is quoting Lisa Thaiday, a cousin of the woman, as saying the children are all siblings and it was their older brother, 20, who discovered their bodies

The premier, Campbell Newman, has called on Queenslanders to support each other through the next few days. The prime minister, Tony Abbott, has called the deaths “gut wrenching” and “an unspeakable crime”.

Police will address media at 4.30pm Queensland time which is 5.30pm
    (there's a new police exclusion zone being simultaneously set up at the site of the Lindt Cafe siege right now too, not sure yet if it's serious or a complete non-event)

ETA just noticed the title's fixed - Thanx Olivia!
    Last edited by blighted star; 12-18-2014 at 08:59 PM.

According to the woman being quoted as a cousin (see link to the Guardian's Twitter feed in my last post) most of the family are from the Torres Strait.

It shouldn't make it worse, but it does. If it's true this is going to hit very, very hard.

ETA

Confirmed. Even if they didn't say it outright, the way they discuss the kids in the last sentence, something you only see when the victims are Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander, give it away

http://m.coffscoastadvocate.com.au/n...-home/2490622/

TRIBUTES are flowing from the Cairns community for eight children who have been killed in a mass stabbing in Cairns. *

Cairns Post reporter Scott Forbes told ABC that the Torres Strait Islander family was well regarded in the community.* *

"The kids were quite well behaved and the interactions were amicable," he said. *

ETA so I don't keep bumping

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1227161857604

[QUOTE]
    [QUOTE]

Not sure if many are aware, but the release of names/photos of these victims could be a reporting issue. A lot of news/current affairs programs in Australia that feature the names/images/voices of deceased community members, have a warning for Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander viewers.

This will explain it

https://apps.indigenous.gov.au/cultural_protocol.htm
    Last edited by blighted star; 12-18-2014 at 10:05 PM.

I didn't fix the title, possibly Bowie?

Anyway, I wonder if they are related to Jonathan Thaiday, the nrl player. He's indigenous too.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    I didn't fix the title, possibly Bowie?

Anyway, I wonder if they are related to Jonathan Thaiday, the nrl player. He's indigenous too.
    That'll teach me to assume. Thanks Bowie?

I'm pathetic when it comes to sport so I haven't got a clue who's who, but there's a good chance he's related by the sounds of it.

This was a horrible fucking year for so many reasons, but this week has been a terrible, terrible one for kids. After the last few days all you can do is hope there's nothing else coming

II know they didn't say it outright, but "helping with enquiries" "public need not fear/isolated incident" etcetc gives a certain impression, but now this - so it wasn't the mother?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-1...e-blog/5979544

The 34yo injured woman is believed to be the mother of seven of the children. Police say the eighth child is also believed to be a family member, but they could not confirm that

The crime scene has been placed in lockdown, no-one except forensic investigators are allowed to enter the property About a dozen police vehicles arrived at the scene, including the region's most senior detective inspectors

Police say there are no formal suspects at this stage. They are looking at everyone who has had any involvement with the family in recent days

Relatives and friends of the victims have arrived on the scene and are being comforted by police
    ABC states a couple of times that 7 kids belonged to the woman in hospital.

There's another interview somewhere with a male relative who'd just arrived because his sister called him "& some of the kids were hers". I put it down to shit reporting but I hope this hasn't hit another family, one's bad enough.

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    Very sad. I have a great interest in the Aboriginal culture, thanks to Rabbit Proof Fence and a few other movies titles that I'm waiting to watch. I also just started watching a Australian TV show called Wentworth, very, very good. It's like a Aussie flavored Orange is the New Black. There's an Aboriginal person on there name Doreen, one of my favorite characters. It's on Netflix if anyone wants to check it out.

RIP Children

This was just released on my news feed

Eight children were found murdered inside a home in Australia. Police say a woman, believed to be the mother of seven of the children, was found alive with a stab wound. http://tinyurl.com/kge5re6

I just saw this in the news myself.

Horrible.

I hate to say it, but I doubt this is random.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

The mother did it

The chilling sound of a woman pleading for forgiveness was heard coming from the home where eight children were found stabbed to death on Friday in Cairns.

On Thursday night a woman was heard shouting: 'Don’t let them take them away from us. God bless us. Forgive me for what I’ll do.'

A neighbour said they heard a woman screaming in a mixture of English and Torres Strait Creole, a native language of islanders.

Mersane Warria, who is also known as Raina Thaiday, is a person of interest in the deaths of the children, according to reports by the Courier Mail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ocial-facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    The mother did it

The chilling sound of a woman pleading for forgiveness was heard coming from the home where eight children were found stabbed to death on Friday in Cairns.

On Thursday night a woman was heard shouting: 'Don’t let them take them away from us. God bless us. Forgive me for what I’ll do.'

A neighbour said they heard a woman screaming in a mixture of English and Torres Strait Creole, a native language of islanders.

Mersane Warria, who is also known as Raina Thaiday, is a person of interest in the deaths of the children, according to reports by the Courier Mail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ocial-facebook

This just ruined my day.

Breaking on channel 7 The mothers been arrested and is under guard in hospital :(

Quote Originally Posted by Queena View Post
    Very sad. I have a great interest in the Aboriginal culture, thanks to Rabbit Proof Fence and a few other movies titles that I'm waiting to watch. I also just started watching a Australian TV show called Wentworth, very, very good. It's like a Aussie flavored Orange is the New Black. There's an Aboriginal person on there name Doreen, one of my favorite characters. It's on Netflix if anyone wants to check it out.
    RIP Children
    Wentworth definitely one of the best TV shows I have ever watched !!
    I love my gritty Aussie drama !

Quote Originally Posted by Queena View Post

RIP Children
    I just finished watching both seasons of Wentworth. I need to see the next season ASAP! I saw Rabbit Proof Fence but I was a young teen like 13 and didn't really get the whole picture of what it was about I can barely remember it.

Oh no

The screaming the day before? "Don't let them take them away from us", mum & kids seen having a 2am cleanup, 9 hrs before emergency services were called - the kind of cleanup you have in a panic if someone calls & gives you reason to believe you might lose your kids? It wouldn't even need to be said, just the mention of a possible DOCS/FACS visit is terrifying to someone from a community who already lived through the Stolen Generation.

This might turn out to be even sadder & more fucked up. Really, really fucked up -

Most people don't know this, MSM rarely covers it, but right now Australia is creating a new Stolen Generation. There are more Aboriginal/TSI children being removed today than ever before. It's a huge topic in Indigenous news but you won't see it mentioned much anywhere else.

It's a horrible thing for people who lived through the years of the Aborigines Protection Board to see it happening all over again to their own kids. Everyone has multiple friends & family who were affected & daily witness first hand the lifelong pain & suffering it causes. No-one wants that for their kids any time, but to see it unfolding in this day & age, while most of Australia & the world congratulate themselves on how different things are for Aboriginal people now, is the worst kind of cruel.

This is Grandmothers Against Removals

http://stopstolengenerations.com.au/

Recent article on GAR
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-3...movals/5852508

2009 article detailing 4300 removals that year just in NSW

http://www.treatyrepublic.net/conten...len-generation

2013 article detailing 2785 Indigenous kids removed Australia-wide in 97 & the rise 15 years later to 13,299

http://www.smh.com.au/national/natio...614-2o9ua.html

Indigenous leaders say Australia risks creating another stolen generation if it does not reduce the soaring number of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children in out-of-home care. In 1997, when the Bringing Them Home report on the removal of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children from their families was tabled in Federal Parliament, 2785 indigenous children were in out-of-home care. By June 2012, that figure had risen to 13,299.

<<snipped4space>>

There is a tendency to be overly interventionist with Aboriginal families,'' Professor Bamblett said. ''Rather than putting supports around the child, we say, 'Let's just remove them'.'' Professor Bamblett was one of six panellists at a forum at Federation Square on Friday, held by the Secretariat of National Aboriginal and Islander Child Care, which is leading the push to halve the number of children in out-of-home care by 2018. She warned that the current generation may one day grow up to say they, too, had been removed from their families.

''Now we have got a whole new wave. We haven't been able to break that cycle.'' Oxfam chief executive Helen Szoke said: ''Maybe it is time for the Human Rights Commission to do another stolen generations report.'' Although child protection was a state responsibility, Dr Szoke said, the report could focus on whether Australia was meeting its obligations under the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child, before the next UN inspection in 2018.

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children make up 4.2 per cent of the population but a third of all children in care. The recently retired vice-chairwoman of the UN Committee on the Rights of the Child, Marta Mauras-Perez, called for a nuanced approach to deciding what constituted ''neglect'' in each community.

She gave the example of a mattress lying on a living room floor, which could reflect a culture of hospitality, instead used as grounds to remove indigenous children from their parents because there were too many people living in the house. Professor Bamblett said children in care also needed to maintain a link with their local area. The 2012 Protecting Victoria's Vulnerable Children Inquiry found only 59 per cent of Koori children in care remained connected to their family and culture.

For stolen generations advocate Aunty Lorraine Peeters, Friday's conversation was the same as 40 years ago. ''Our children are being removed at such a rate that I feel really sick in the stomach every time I look at the stats,'' she said. ''Who is going to be there for those children in 18 years' time when they enter into trauma and want to know where they come from or who their families are

August 2014

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/rea...-1227010999466

THE rate of indigenous children being taken from their families has become so rife, more are being removed today than at any other time in Australia?s sordid colonial history. Figures reveal the number of indigenous children being forcibly taken from their homes has risen almost 400 per cent in 15 years, prompting Aboriginal Elders to condemn what they are labelling a ?new Stolen Generation?.

Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander children represent 4.6 per cent of the Australian population, and a whopping one third are in ?out of home care?. According to the Federal Government?s 1997 Bringing Them Home report, the number of indigenous children removed from their families at the time was 2785. Fast forward fifteen years to 2012, where a report by the Federal Government?s Australian Institute of Health and Welfare recorded the instance of removal had risen almost 400 per cent to 13,299. ?More than 14,000 Aboriginal children are in what they call ?out of home care? in any given night in Australia,? said Paddy Gibson, a senior researcher at the University of Technology, Sydney. ?That is a far greater number of children removed in any year over the Stolen Generations period.?

According to Mr Gibson, Australia has essentially returned to an ?assimilation policy? where mass removal of Aboriginal children is being used as a strategy to ?deal with questions of Aboriginal disadvantage, just as it was in the Stolen Generations era?.

For Ray Jackson, the issue is as prevalent now as it was when he was taken as a child in 1943. Mr Jackson was just two years old when he and his two siblings were removed. His non-indigenous father died in World War II, and his Aboriginal mother was deemed unfit to care for the family due to her ethnicity. ?The number of children being taken these days is horrendous. I?ve read about this. I?ve seen it,? Mr Jackson told news.com.au. ?I?ve tried to help families who?ve had their children taken, but you?re fighting a behemoth. ?To take the coppers on is bad enough, but to try and take on a government and its policies, no one out there will listen to you.?

But the Federal Government has washed its hands of the problem, with the Minister for indigenous Affairs, Senator Nigel Scullion, telling news.com.au ?Child protection is the responsibility of the states and territories. At all times and in all circumstances, the best interest of the child is paramount. ?However I do encourage states and territories to work harder to find solutions, where possible, within the wider Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander family. Experience has shown that where issues can be resolved, the extended family is at the centre of the solution.?

In NSW nearly 6300 indigenous children are wards of the state. That?s nearly 10 per cent of the state?s Aboriginal children. Meanwhile, only 1.6 per cent of white children have been removed.

According to the Northern Territory Children?s Commissioner?s annual report, indigenous children were 395 per cent more likely to be put into care than non-indigenous children. In the year to June 30, 2013, 624 indigenous kids were removed in the Northern Territory, in comparison to 126 non-indigenous children. ?Some communities don?t even have running water,? said Mr Gibson. ?There are massively overcrowded situations, there?s no sealed roads for the community. The idea that these people get more than average Australians get is farcical. ?Governments don?t provide resources to the people who need it most.?

Child protection services have denied having an unfair focus on indigenous communities, claiming it is beyond the Department?s control and that the health and welfare of the child was at the core of the department?s interests. ?The NSW Department of Family and Community Services (FACS) has a statutory responsibility to protect children, and will only remove a child or young person as a last resort when court order finds there are serious concerns for their safety or wellbeing, said a spokesman. ?The decision to remove a child from its family is not taken lightly by the Children?s Court, which treats all cases equally, no matter what the racial or social background.?

FACS pointed news.com.au to the 2014 Report on Government Services, which stated NSW had the highest percentage of indigenous children in out of home care placements with relatives or kin (63.6 per cent of indigenous children as compared to the national average of 51.5 per cent). But Mr Jackson remained unconvinced. ?Yes we do have drunks, yes we do have druggies, some of them are mothers even, but in the wider family, not all of them are drunk or drug-affected,? he said.

?When you walk into an Aboriginal house, the first thing you see is a wall covered with photos. ?Photos of family of those who have gone, those have just come and those who are in between and growing. Walk into the kitchen, the fridge is covered with children?s drawings. That is a normal home. ?That is pride in your family and children, and that is not being recognised. ?These people need assistance, they need help; they don?t need their children taken from them.?
    Last edited by blighted star; 12-19-2014 at 06:00 PM.

Daily M article re latest tragedy with pix of the memorial for the 8 children murdered in Manoora & also for the 2 victims of the siege in Martin Place.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...gedy-week.html

It is understood the children were stabbed and suffocated inside the house. A woman, 34, believed to be the mother of seven of the children, was also rushed to hospital in a critical condition but was assisting police.

Grieving residents of Manoora, which has been described as a 'tight-knit community', gathered to pay their respects at the park, while friends and relatives visited Cairns City Church.* The mourners were invited to observe a minute's silence for the children. * Earlier, neighbours, friends, and family members had visited the Murray Street house to lay flowers, notes, and stuffed toys.**

Manoora

Martin Place

I know Manoora is a small town & doesn't allow easy access to thousands of city workers & tourists like the site in Martin Place, but I hope these kids get the same respect as the Sydney victims. I hope next week we see city memorials too, so that this isn't reminiscent of the pix showing the size of the tiny march for the 3 murdered Koori kids from Bowraville (still awaiting justice since 1990s) & the march of thousands for Jill Meagher (see thread for the Bowraville kids for pix).

The police spokesperson on Sky News today was already having to speak out to quell rumours that the area generally is troublesome & that this family in particular were frequently visited by police. If it's having to be officially addressed by police, then the excuse that these aren't "worthy" victims is already spreading in some sections of the community. Victim-blaming is always repulsive, but to do it so soon, in a situation like this where the youngest was just 18 mths old, is fucking gross.

This article discusses the mother's arrest & also has quotes from police defending the character & history of the family. There's a denial of social service callouts too, so I don't think I'm the only one wondering if child removal issues might be involved.

Worst of all, it confirms that the man interviewed at the scene yesterday was right - the 8th child wasn't hers, her niece was the 8th victim. This has hit 2 immediate families.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-2...murder/5980826

The 37-year-old mother of seven of the eight children found dead in a Cairns home yesterday has been arrested for murder.

Cairns Detective Inspector Bruno Asnicar said the mother, who was found yesterday with chest and neck wounds, was lucid and awake and speaking with police. The bodies of eight children were found following what was believed to be a multiple stabbing on Friday morning.

The children, aged from 18 months to 14 years, were found in Murray Street, Manoora, where the 37-year-old woman was also located.

VIDEO (at link): School friends of murdered children leave tributes; police examine knives (ABC News)

"The 37-year-old mother of several of the children involved in this incident has been arrested for murder overnight and is currently under police guard at the Cairns Base Hospital," he said. "Overnight we had the forensic people in the house. The deceased have been removed from the house. "Today we will have our coroner and pathologist conducting their investigations with the assistance of the family."

Detective Inspector Asnicar said police are not looking for anyone else in relation to the deaths and are comfortable the community is safe. He dismissed speculation the Manoora house had been the subject of calls from the Department of Social Services.

Anyone distressed by this story is advised to contact the following organisations: Kids Helpline on 1800 55 1800 Relationships Australia on 1300 364 277 Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636 Lifeline on 13 11 14

"It's not a problem house, as has been speculated," he said.

"This is an ordinary neighbourhood, a lot of good people, a lot of kids in the area. This is something that has caught everybody by surprise."

Acting Queensland Premier Tim Nicholls said the police service had made contact with authorities in the Torres Strait. "Certainly we are aware of the family links to the Torres Strait and to the Cape and actions are being taken to ensure those communities are informed and provided with support," he said. Mr Nicholls said he knew the incident was coming at a "terrible cost" to many of the community.

"As a father myself with three children under 15, I can only imagine the grief this family is feeling as they come to grips with the events over the last few days," he said. "I'm sure I speak on behalf of all Queenslanders and indeed all Australians when we say we are with you, we are here to support you and we feel with you the grief this community feels."

Investigations are continuing throughout today and police said autopsies on the children would also occur today. Police said a number of possible weapons including knives were located in the house. Seven of the children found dead are siblings and the eighth child is a niece of the woman arrested, police said.

Police said the suburban Cairns home will be locked down for several days while forensic officers conduct their work. Acting Chief Superintendent Russell Miller said the investigation would take time and officers from Brisbane and Townsville arrived yesterday afternoon to assist with the complex investigation.

Relationships Australia has set up an office close to the murder scene. Spokeswoman Debra Bennett said the organisation is inviting people in the community to seek counselling there if they feel they need to speak to someone. "There'll be a whole range of support services so we encourage people to take advantage of that and to encourage other members of their family and the community if they feel they're struggling with this experience. It's really important that people don't try to do this on their own," she said.

Fuck this.

8 kids dead in horrific circumstances & this is what our media decided was the most important detail

I wondered why the online comments suddenly turned from condolences into a fucking sewer

I'm just about done with humanity.

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    Fuck this.

8 kids dead in horrific circumstances & this is what our media decided was the most important detail

I wondered why the online comments suddenly turned from condolences into a fucking sewer

I'm just about done with humanity.
    That's a horrible headline/byline. Have a little respect. RIP children.

Oh, Jesus Christ. Really? All of these babies slaughtered and THAT'S what they run with?

Fucking ridiculous.

Thread Information