Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Intentional chlorine gas leak at FurFest

Intentional chlorine gas leak at FurFest

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/...tel/ar-BBgswJR
    Thousands of people were evacuated and 19 people were hospitalized when a convention was disrupted during an intentional chlorine gas leak at the Hyatt hotel in suburban Rosemont early Sunday morning, authorities said.

The incident happened around 12:40 a.m. at the Hyatt, at 9300 West Bryn Mawr Avenue in Rosemont, according to a statement from the Rosemont Public Safety Department.

First responders were called to investigate a noxious odor that was spreading across the ninth floor of the hotel, where a high level of chlorine gas was discovered in the air, the statement said.

Nineteen people were transported to nearby hospitals after complaining of nausea, dizziness and other medical problems, according to the statement.

All people inside the building were temporarily evacuated and sheltered at nearby facilities, including the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center.

Investigators located the source of the odor on a stairwell of the ninth floor, the statement said.

The manner by which the substance, which was consistent with powdered chlorine, was released "suggests an intentional act," according to the statement.

Police are investigating the incident as a criminal matter.

Technicians decontaminated the area and after conducting several tests deemed the area safe within about two hours. People were allowed back into the building around 3:30 a.m.

Some convention goers, some of whom were dressed up as animal characters, stood outside of the building. Hundreds more were escaping the chilly weather inside several large buildings next to the hotel.

The annual weekend-long convention, which celebrates art, literature and performance based around anthropomorphic animals, draws thousands of people every year, according to the Midwest FurFest website.

Thomas Zell, 27, of Arlington Heights, said he was outside with a group of people near the hotel entrance when he saw people being evacuated.

Zell said he has been attending FurFest and other conventions in the Hyatt hotel for several years.

"A lot of people thought this was just someone pulling the fire alarm," Zell said, adding that it is not uncommon for someone to trigger the alarm at such events.

"But it was serious this time," Zell said.

Zell and others said many convention goers were dancing and partying in groups in different parts of the hotel when the incident happened.

Iowa residents Morgan Smejkal and Chris Delaney said they did not hear the alarms in the part of the building they were in and found out they needed to evacuate through hotel staff and after receiving texts from their friends.

"It was shocking," said Smejkal while standing outside the hotel dressed in a red panda animal suit.

The couple said they smelled chlorine as they walked out the building.

"It was like when you walk into a pool. It was pungent," said Delaney.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

i don't want to laugh, but i can't help it.

imagine, a bunch of furries standing around outside, trying to figure out what happened. i wish i could have driven by at that moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

I would think their masks/costumes would protect them from some of the gas.

Everything I know about "FurFest" I learned from CSI

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Wow.

I just don't understand why anyone would ever feel threatened enough by this benign behavior to make a move on a bunch of folks dressed as ponies and bears.

Hell, at my age, I think faux fur from head to toe could only enhance my appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post

imagine, a bunch of furries standing around outside, trying to figure out what happened. i wish i could have driven by at that moment.
    Oh to have been a fly on the wall.

Chlorine gas is nothing to mess with, shit is deadly. I cannot remember the exact year, 2003 maybe, I would have to look up and DH is out atm.
    There was horrible train derailment in Graniteville, SC where DH lived. !0 miles from me and many lost their lives and for miles around were evacuated
    and or could not even go outside to flee. It was very scary.

Fibro Fog has taken over. I am in a constant state of dyscognition so please excuse my retardation.
    'The worst things in the world are justified by belief'- Raised by Wolves SOI

"Your life is short, it's the longest thing you'll ever do/ the worse the curse was that your dreams came true/
    God is a mirror in which each man sees himself/ Hell is place where you don't need anyone's help"

~You got to cry with out weeping. Talk without speaking
    Scream without raising your voice~

Where they don't have maps.......such as..
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBeWithMe View Post
    Wow.

I just don't understand why anyone would ever feel threatened enough by this benign behavior to make a move on a bunch of folks dressed as ponies and bears.

Hell, at my age, I think faux fur from head to toe could only enhance my appeal.
    Because they are most obviously FAGGOTS!

Totally kidding! My 15 year old son is die-hard Brony and even went to Brony-Kon this past year
    Quote Originally Posted by blighted star
    I was about to be annoyed that this thread was still active, but I see now it's morphed into offers of sex for chilli confectionary, so carry on guys :)

OMG, girl! My son went through the Brony phase, too, and he was so embarrassed when he told me.

I just told him, "Hey, as long as I don't come home from work to find you prancing about the front yard in full Brony gear, I don't care."

And I don't. As long as my kids are happy and healthy, I don't care who they date, what they choose to be, or how they decide to dress. Fuck it. I was damned my entire life for marching to my own drum, and I'll beat that drum for every single one of my kids to march to. They're awesome, wonderful, kind people. They're, for sure, my one, true success.

OMG, girl! My son went through the Brony phase, too, and he was so embarrassed when he told me.

I just told him, "Hey, as long as I don't come home from work to find you prancing about the front yard in full Brony gear, I don't care."

And I don't. As long as my kids are happy and healthy, I don't care who they date, what they choose to be, or how they decide to dress. Fuck it. I was damned my entire life for marching to my own drum, and I'll beat that drum for every single one of my kids to march to. They're awesome, wonderful, kind people. They're, for sure, my one, true success.

Fibro Fog has taken over. I am in a constant state of dyscognition so please excuse my retardation.

"Your life is short, it's the longest thing you'll ever do/ the worse the curse was that your dreams came true/
    God is a mirror in which each man sees himself/ Hell is place where you don't need anyone's help"

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to PeaceBeWithMe again.

Well said, my dear.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post

This is what you would have seen

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/...7978202604.jpg

oh why wasn't i there???

Between the ocean and shitty farm fields, California
    Someone tried to euthanize the furries.

I wonder if the perpetrator will be charged with attempted murder, or animal cruelty.
    Quote Originally Posted by UncomfortablyNumb View Post
    I want that fucking meat.

Quote Originally Posted by PunkerDuckie View Post
    Someone tried to euthanize the furries.

Not sure I'd want to stay at a hotel that had week-long furry conventions. God knows what goes on in those rooms.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Shins View Post
    Not sure I'd want to stay at a hotel that had week-long furry conventions. God knows what goes on in those rooms.
    I worked in hospitality in my youth. We never did host FurFest, but we sure got a lot of those "space" conventions.

People would walk around dressed as aliens. I remember a mad rush to the outside patio one day because someone "saw" a space ship. And I will never, ever forget the lady who had me send Security to her room because the people in the room next door were "listening to her mind" via the heating vent.

I am calling a disgruntled significant other the perpetrator.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

That fur shit is as bad as a Star Trek convention. Chlorine gas, not a good idea, machine guns......would have been more dramatic and cost effective.

Am I wrong when I think of this furry convention as a way to fuck other furries? I thought the whole 'furry fuzzy'' thing was fetish?

I know i can't be confused about this...

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

Quote Originally Posted by g r ee n ey e s View Post
    Am I wrong when I think of this furry convention as a way to fuck other furries? I thought the whole 'furry fuzzy'' thing was fetish?

this is exactly what i thought they were. humpers. humpers who like to do it in animal costumes. i didn't think there was anything cute and innocent about it.

Quote Originally Posted by g r ee n ey e s View Post

Yeah, that's why I wouldn't want to stay at that hotel.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

You and me baby ain't nothing but mammals so let's do it like they do it on discovery channel

That song was on the radio this past weekend. Prior to that I don't think I've heard it in at least 10yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by Shins View Post
    That song was on the radio this past weekend. Prior to that I don't think I've heard it in at least 10yrs.
    My family had a Thanksgiving drunken lip sync contest, and my brother definitely came out in a full monkey suit and did this song. It was quite hilarious. I have video.

Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    TARGET PRACTICE.

Quote Originally Posted by debk589 View Post
    My family had a Thanksgiving drunken lip sync contest, and my brother definitely came out in a full monkey suit and did this song. It was quite hilarious. I have video.
    I want to spend thanksgiving with you guys!

Thread Information