Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Brooke Baures (21) was found dead in a restaurant dumbwaiter and an investigation is ongoing

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    I'm wondering if she had her upper torso in there when it went up/down. I'm still trying to figure this out. It's been bothering me.
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    It seems like she'd almost have had to. It's the only thing that makes sense to me.

I have zero experience with dumb waiters, but what you both said makes sense to me, also. She reached in for whatever reason ... maybe to put something in it, maybe it was momentarily stuck ... and once more of her weight was in than out, that was it. Very sad.

I looked through an image search of her. She was a very cute thing. Looks like she was a lively, bubbly person. Poor girl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    It seems like she'd almost have had to. It's the only thing that makes sense to me.

I too can not figure out how she was caught inside. I don't understand how something like this could happen

A friend of mine lives in the area and is a bartender nearby. Based on what she has heard, the student was sucked in and trapped... possibly by sticking her head in the dumbwaiter for some reason. Cause of death was "head trauma." A first responder said it was the "worst thing he has ever seen."

Im hoping she was "knocked out" first?!

My friend will text me if/when she hears anything else. I feel so bad for her family and friends. What a horrible way to die.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMartha View Post
    I too can not figure out how she was caught inside. I don't understand how something like this could happen

A friend of mine lives in the area and is a bartender nearby. Based on what she has heard, the student was sucked in and trapped... possibly by sticking her head in the dumbwaiter for some reason. Cause of death was "head trauma." A first responder said it was the "worst thing he has ever seen."

My friend will text me if/when she hears anything else. I feel so bad for her family and friends. What a horrible way to die.
    Welcome to MDS

And thank you for the inside scoop!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

I wonder if there's a way her hair could have gotten caught in a mechanism? Gears? Chains? I know nothing about dumbwaiters.

Well that does sound freakin horrible. I had been wondering if she was crushed some way or asphyxiated.

"Little Martha" ... great song written by one of the best guitarists that ever lived :)
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I wonder if there's a way her hair could have gotten caught in a mechanism? Gears? Chains? I know nothing about dumbwaiters.
    I actually googled dumbwaiters so I could get more of a visual... but it didn't help too much. How do you leap or get "sucked" into a 3X3 space?

And I considered the hair thing too... except its food service so it *should* have been tied back. These things would have to more fairly fast and/or be really heavy. My friend suggested that she stuck her head in to call down stairs that food was on its way do people do that?) but the shaft started moving, the door closed or whatever..... but that is of course speculation. Apparently it was a gruesome site... so she was definitely tangled. Ugh.

(And thanks... Im glad I found you guys!)

There have only been like two dumbwaiter deaths in the past 10 years. Here's one:
    https://www.health.ny.gov/environmen...ce/12ny033.htm

image showing hoistway opening

Photo 1. The hoistway door opening in the upstairs food preparation area with the dumbwaiter car in the landing zone. The sliding door was nailed to stay in the up and open position.

On June 23, 2012, a 30 year-old co-owner of a Thai restaurant (victim) was fatally crushed by a dumbwaiter car in the basement kitchen of his restaurant. The dumbwaiter was a wire-rope type lift or elevator for transporting household goods between the first floor food preparation area and the basement kitchen. There was a hoistway opening on each floor: it was a rectangle opening with a vertical sliding door (Photo 1). The incident occurred at 1:19 AM on a Sunday. At the time of the incident, the victim and several restaurant staff were working in the basement kitchen. A cook prepared an appetizer and placed it in the dumbwaiter car to send it to the upstairs dining area. The cook stepped aside while the victim was standing next to the hoistway door. At this moment, the manager upstairs yelled down the shaft asking about the appetizer. The victim leaned into the dumbwaiter shaft and told the manager that the appetizer was ready. According to the manager, she then looked down and saw the appetizer but did not see the victim in the shaft. She then pressed the UP button to activate the dumbwaiter car. The dumbwaiter car started moving up and the victim's head was caught between the upper frame of the access opening and the bottom shelf of the dumbwaiter car. The cook quickly moved the car downward to release the victim. The workers helped the victim to the floor. A 911 call was placed by the staff upstairs. The emergency medical technicians arrived at the site within minutes following the call. The victim was pronounced dead at the scene. The immediate cause of death was massive cranial-cerebral trauma. The American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) specifies that all dumbwaiters have a hoistway door safety locking device. The locking device prevents the operation of the dumbwaiter unless all hoistway doors are in closed position. The dumbwaiter in this case did not have the locking device on the doors.

Introduction
    image showing hoistway opening and controls
    Photo 2. The dumbwaiter hoistway door opening in the basement kitchen with the dumbwaiter car in the landing zone. There were two black press switches one for UP and one for DOWN and a red on/off power switch to the left of the opening. The bell attached to the rack in the car did not work.

On June 23, 2012, a 30 year-old co-owner of a Thai restaurant (victim) was fatally crushed by a dumbwaiter car in the basement kitchen of his restaurant.

The co-owner and the victim were brothers-in-law; they jointly opened the Thai restaurant in 2007. At the time of the incident, the restaurant employed 20 workers. Half of the employees worked in the kitchen and the rest were wait staff. This was the company's first work-related fatality.
    Investigation

The restaurant building was constructed at the end of 19th century with a dining room and a food preparation area on the main floor and the kitchen in the basement. The first business that occupied the building was a German restaurant. It opened in 1901 and closed in 1975. Between 1975 and 2007, numerous restaurants operated in the building before the Thai restaurant opened.

There was a dumbwaiter (an elevator or lift for transporting household goods) between the main floor and the basement kitchen. The exact age of the dumbwaiter was unknown. The dumbwaiter shaft (hoistway) was lined with the same tin used for the original tin ceiling of the building, so the dumbwaiter may have been installed in the same era as the building. The original lift may have been a hand lift, manually operated through a pulley system. It was likely converted later to a power dumbwaiter with a retrofitted electric motor.

The dumbwaiter was a wire-rope type powered by a 7 ? horsepower electric motor. Its weight capacity was unknown. The dumbwaiter car was shaped like a cardboard box with the top and front open. The car was 27 inches wide, 30 inches high and 31 inches deep. There was a shelf mounted to the back and side walls of the car. The shelf was approximately 19 inches above the base (bottom shelf) of the car and 18 inches deep. The dumbwaiter car traveled a vertical distance of 9'7" between the two floors at a speed of 0.5 feet per second, approximately.

The American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) sets standards for elevators and escalators including dumbwaiters. The ASME (ASME A17.3-2011 Safety Code for Existing Elevators and Escalators Part VI Dumbwaiters) specifies that all existing dumbwaiters have a hoistway door safety locking device. The locking device acts as an interlock to prevent the operation of the dumbwaiter unless the hoistway door is in the closed position. It also keeps the hoistway door in the closed position unless the car is within the landing (loading or unloading) zone. In other words, if the hoistway door interlock works properly, the dumbwaiter car would not be activated (it would not move) unless all hoistway doors are closed. Once the dumbwaiter is activated or moving, the hoistway door cannot be opened unless the car reaches the landing zone.

The dumbwaiter at the restaurant did not have the interlock on either of the hoistway doors. The upstairs sliding door could not be closed because it was nailed in the up and open position. There were no signs on or near the dumbwaiter to warn users of fall or crushing hazards. When workers were first hired, they were shown how to operate the dumbwaiter and were told to stay away from the dumbwaiter when it was operating. They were supposed to check and make sure that the hoistway was clear of a person or unintended objects before activating the dumbwaiter car.

The dumbwaiter was used daily throughout each shift to transport food, dishes and other items between the upstairs food prep area and the basement kitchen. There was a bell attached to the shelf in the dumbwaiter car (Photo 2). Workers were supposed to ring the bell before activating the dumbwaiter to alert the staff on the other floor. According to the OSHA compliance officer who tested the bell, the bell did not work. Workers also used the dumbwaiter hoistway as a means of communication. They often leaned into the hoistway door openings yelling up or down to the staff on the other floor.

The incident occurred at 1:19 AM on a Sunday. Seven restaurant staff were present at the time of the incident: two male cooks, a female manager, two off-duty female waitresses, a male bouncer and the victim. The manager and a waitress were upstairs while the victim and the rest of the staff were in the basement kitchen. The victim and the cooks were preparing food, cleaning and getting ready for the next day.

At approximately 1:00 AM, a customer came in and ordered an appetizer. The manager typed the order into the computer system that printed out an order ticket in the kitchen. A cook prepared the appetizer and placed it on the upper shelf of the dumbwaiter car. The cook then stepped aside while the victim was standing next to the hoistway door opening. At this moment, the manager yelled down the shaft asking about the order. The victim leaned into the dumbwaiter opening to tell the manager that the appetizer was ready. According to the manager, she then looked down and saw the appetizer but did not see the victim in the dumbwaiter shaft. She pressed the UP button to activate the dumbwaiter car to bring up the appetizer. The cook in the basement kitchen saw the dumbwaiter going up and yelled to the victim to get out, but the victim was unable to get out on time. His head was caught between the upper frame of the hoistway door opening and the bottom shelf of the dumbwaiter car. The cook immediately hit the power switch to shut the dumbwaiter off in an attempt to bring down the car to release the victim. The car did not move. He then quickly turned the power back on and pressed the DOWN button. The car moved down and released the victim. The workers helped the victim to the floor. A 911 call was placed by the staff upstairs. Emergency medical technicians arrived at the site within minutes following the call and attempted to revive the victim. After consulting with an on-call physician, the emergency medical technicians terminated the attempt and pronounced the victim dead. The immediate cause of death listed on the death certificate was massive cranial-cerebral trauma.

Other contributing factors included the high noise level in the kitchen and alcohol consumption. There was music playing on a radio; it was difficult for the workers in the kitchen to hear the upstairs staff. Some staff were drinking alcohol. The victim's blood alcohol content was 0.13%. The legal limit for driving a motor vehicle in New York State is 0.08%.

After the incident, the restaurant had the interlocks installed on the dumbwaiter hoistway doors. Indicator lights were installed on both floors to signal the arrival of the dumbwaiter car. The restaurant also installed an intercom for communications between the dining room and kitchen staff. All restaurant staff were provided with training on how to safely operate the dumbwaiter.

More at link
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Wow. That's terrible.

On another note, what a dirty looking restaurant

okay: I have a theory.
    I know from reading online articles (and my nearby bartending friend) that she died from "head trauma, " that there was no other injuries to the rest of her body, and that it was horrific. Its not like she was neatly folded and rolled out when the staff opened the door on the 1st floor. The "new detail" that was released this morning was that the investigators believe she first pressed the button to send it down, and then reached in for something... perhaps a glass tipped over or she saw something she needed... and was caught.
    I think that (and sorry for being graphic) her head was caught in the door as it closed and the dumbwaiter just kept going down, pulling the rest of her body into the 3x3 space. So either the saftey mechanism wasn't turned on or wasn't functioning. Now assuming she was familiar with this thing, why she would stick her head in AFTER pressing the send button was either a very unfortunate "duh" moment or the machine malfunctioned. Perhaps it was stuck, she looked inside, and suddenly it wasn't stuck anymore. Her head/face must have been mangled.
    Perhaps we will never know.

I know from reading online articles (and my nearby bartending friend) that she died from "head trauma, " that there was no other injuries to the rest of her body, and that it was horrific. Its not like she was neatly folded and rolled out when the staff opened the door on the 1st floor. The "new detail" that was released this morning was that the investigators believe she first pressed the button to send it down, and then reached in for something... perhaps a glass tipped over or she saw something she needed... and was caught.
    I think that (and sorry for being graphic) her head was caught in the door as it closed and the dumbwaiter just kept going down, pulling the rest of her body into the 3x3 space. So either the saftey mechanism wasn't turned on or wasn't functioning. Now assuming she was familiar with this thing, why she would stick her head in AFTER pressing the send button was either a very unfortunate "duh" moment or the machine malfunctioned. Perhaps it was stuck, she looked inside, and suddenly it wasn't stuck anymore. Her head/face must have been mangled.
    Welcome to the board, Martha!

That's sounds just about as plausible as anything else. I've thought about this a lot since it happened.

Just a horrible, horrible accident. Poor thing.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBeWithMe View Post
    Welcome to the board, Martha!

Thank you!

That's a pretty good theory, Martha. Welcome!
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

This exact thing happened to a waitress in Russia and it's on video. If the thing didn't stop moving (which this one looks like a new model of one, probably with a safety stop), I can see how this would be fatal and a pretty devastating head injury:

...dumb decision is made right about 0:32.

Holy shit, Deb.

Thanks for finding that.

Wow. Yeah. I can see now how easily something like this could happen if you're just not paying attention and being cautious.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by debk589 View Post
    This exact thing happened to a waitress in Russia and it's on video. If the thing didn't stop moving (which this one looks like a new model of one, probably with a safety stop), I can see how this would be fatal and a pretty devastating head injury:
    Thanks. I looked for that last night. I knew I'd seen something similar!
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

When I hear "dumbwaiter" I always think of that King Of Queens episode, when Doug wanted to buy the house because it had a dumbwaiter that went from the kitchen up to the bedroom.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

When I hear "dumbwaiter" I always think of that King Of Queens episode, when Doug wanted to buy the house because it had a dumbwaiter that went from the kitchen up to the bedroom.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

WHY did she press the button knowing there was something else to get out of it????!!!!

Senior Member UncomfortablyNumb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    WHY did she press the button knowing there was something else to get out of it????!!!!
    Maybe she was trying to be fast. Like, maybe it was busy so she pushed the button and was gonna grab the last thing out of it really quick and well...that didn't work very well for her.
    She transitioned from a stupid asshole to a dumb bitch.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/12/09...mty_twitter_fn

An autopsy finds that a waitress died of severe head injuries after getting her head caught in a dumbwaiter at a Wisconsin restaurant last week.

Fountain City Police Chief Jason Mork on Tuesday released the autopsy results for 21-year-old Brooke Baures, a senior and standout gymnast at Winona State University in Minnesota.

Baures was working at WingDam Saloon and Grill when the accident happened Dec. 1.

Based on witness' statements, police believe Baures was the only person who could have pressed the dumbwaiter's control button on the second floor. Police believe her head was almost entirely inside the cab of the elevator when it descended.

The autopsy found "extensive destruction" of the brainstem and left side of the cerebellum.

The dumbwaiter has since been permanently removed.

So basically this chick did exactly what the Russian chick in the YouTube video?

Do we know if the Russian chick died too?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    So basically this chick did exactly what the Russian chick in the YouTube video?

Do we know if the Russian chick died too?
    No, I don't believe she did... but I found it curious that most employees didn't really pay attention to her
    (except the person holding her). They seemed more concerned with the dumbwaiter.

http://www.kare11.com/story/news/loc...eath/20157989/

This article has a few more details. I STILL don't understand how she became "trapped in the entirety of the device." Wouldn't she be more likely decapitated?

http://www.kare11.com/story/news/loc...eath/20157989/

This article has a few more details. I STILL don't understand how she became "trapped in the entirety of the device." Wouldn't she be more likely decapitated?

Yeah, I don't quite understand what "trapped in the entirety of the device" means, either.

It's hard to imagine that all of her made it down to the bottom floor.

Ugh.

I think the authorities are just trying their best to be sensitive to the family.

Quote Originally Posted by TupeloHoney View Post
    I think the authorities are just trying their best to be sensitive to the family.
    I believe you are exactly right.

Thread Information