Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chernobyl Stuff

Chernobyl Stuff

Harrowing Drone Footage Shows Chernobyl Exclusion Zone

Back in 1986, a flawed reactor design married with serious mistakes made by plant workers led to one of the world?s worst nuclear accidents: the Chernobyl disaster. The explosion and fires caused some 5% of the radioactive reactor core to seep into the environment and downwind, leading to a 30 kilometer (18.5 mile) exclusion zone around the plant that is still in effect today.

49,360 people residing in the nearby city of Pripyat had to be evacuated within 36 hours of the accident, followed by an additional 70,000 people from surrounding areas over the next few weeks. It?s safe to say that the area is a ghost town, barely touched by humans for the past 30 years.

Now, British filmmaker Danny Cooke is allowing us to peer into this eerie and haunting place with his new short film, which includes footage captured by a drone that was flown into the area. And it?s pretty harrowing. Check it out here:

http://www.iflscience.com/environmen...exclusion-zone
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Shins View Post
    Harrowing Drone Footage Shows Chernobyl Exclusion Zone

Back in 1986, a flawed reactor design married with serious mistakes made by plant workers led to one of the world?s worst nuclear accidents: the Chernobyl disaster. The explosion and fires caused some 5% of the radioactive reactor core to seep into the environment and downwind, leading to a 30 kilometer (18.5 mile) exclusion zone around the plant that is still in effect today.

49,360 people residing in the nearby city of Pripyat had to be evacuated within 36 hours of the accident, followed by an additional 70,000 people from surrounding areas over the next few weeks. It?s safe to say that the area is a ghost town, barely touched by humans for the past 30 years.

Now, British filmmaker Danny Cooke is allowing us to peer into this eerie and haunting place with his new short film, which includes footage captured by a drone that was flown into the area. And it?s pretty harrowing. Check it out here:

http://www.iflscience.com/environmen...exclusion-zone
    I find this stuff to be fascinating.

Destination Truth did an episode on Chernobyl once and they were allowed in to film overnight. Pretty cool.

http://www.syfy.com/destinationtruth...rnobyl_sal_awa

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

I guess I don't really get it. If this area going to be abandoned forever now? Obviously people still go there...
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

I guess I don't really get it. If this area going to be abandoned forever now? Obviously people still go there...
    I think it's just too radioactive still, no? I don't know. It truly is creepy, though.

I'm fascinated by this shit too. I think very few people have been back, and wore a ton of protective gear to get footage of the really bad areas. But this guy was able to take his drone places humans probably shouldn't go.

ETA: here's a good article about it today: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-...813090/?no-ist
    Last edited by debk589; 12-02-2014 at 11:15 AM.

It will probably always be radioactive. A good example- Marie Curie still has items that are radioactive. They have to be stored in special cases.

The people that go in the area do wear protective gear. Dosimeters, survey meters, and film badges. Dosimeters are real time measurements, but they only go up so far before they read "off scale"
    People can be around radioactive stuff. BUT it's for a small time depending on how much you are picking up. People that work in radiation call it ALARA.

I am fascinated by Chernobyl - good footage here if anyone wants to see

http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/s...side-chernobyl

Interesting.

I was never sure how that radioactive stuff "worked". Like, obviously life can be sustained there because it's totally overgrown with vegetation. But I guess I don't know how radioactiveness effects humans. Does it soak in your skin? Is it a respiratory thing? Is it both? Does it mean your kids will be born with 3 eyes?

From the way this looks, it will be this way forever. What's kind of funny, is there are areas of Detroit that look parallel to its liking...

Interesting.

I was never sure how that radioactive stuff "worked". Like, obviously life can be sustained there because it's totally overgrown with vegetation. But I guess I don't know how radioactiveness effects humans. Does it soak in your skin? Is it a respiratory thing? Is it both? Does it mean your kids will be born with 3 eyes?

From the way this looks, it will be this way forever. What's kind of funny, is there are areas of Detroit that look parallel to its liking...
    This may help

According to Crossley, there are two ways you can be exposed to radiation.

"External irradiation is when you absorb the energy of radiation which can be in the form of beta, alpha or neutron particles or as gamma and/or X-rays. But it only lasts as long as you're near the source, once you move away, you are not being irradiated any more."

"You don't become radioactive from external irradiation", says Crossley.

"Contamination is when you get the radioactive material itself on you or in you, including eating it breathing it in or absorbing it through the skin."

"Radiation damages cells by breaking chromosomes in DNA. This usually causes the cell to die. DNA can be repaired, but if the repair is incorrect, it could cause mutation which could lead to cancer later on".

"Higher doses (over a sievert) can cause immediate health problems because a larger number of cells are killed off by the radiation."

"This often appears as skin burns and gastrointestinal effects. As the radiation dose gets higher (many sieverts) this can kill you very quickly, in a matter of hours if the dose is high enough."

"It works exactly the same as lower doses of radiation but on a mass scale and when enough cells die that can cause problems", says Crossley.

Plutonium and uranium produce a range of radioactive fission products including variations of iodine, caesium, strontium and noble gases such as argon and xenon.

Some radioactive substances can remain dangerous in the environment longer than others. Just how long is indicated by the isotope's 'half-life' — the time it takes for half of a radioactive isotope to decay away.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articl...21/3245821.htm

That's fascinating and terrifying to know.

Interesting.

From reading wiki about it, there are people that still live there. They refuse to leave, and there are workers that still live in the area to maintain stuff.

Radiation sources have "half lives" and I think this radioactive source was 20 years (I may be wrong. It's been awhile since I've taken my exams) The problem here tho- to much was released. Some say it will take 10,000 to 20,000 years to be gone (depending on what expert you talk to) I'm not 100% positive on the radiation source tho, because most of my experience/training comes from gamma and cobalt.

I love looking at pictures of this place. Hands down, this is one of my favs.

HAHA. That is a cool picture, Peace. Radiation didn't do that tho. The gas masks picture was pretty freaky too me.

I'm a science nerd, so I love stuff like this. Marie Curie and her husband are people who amaze me. It's my goal in life to one day be able to tour her museum.
    Radiation is the most fascinating thing to me.

Senior Member UncomfortablyNumb's Avatar
    That doll head is fucking creepy, but has also made me want to research more about this.

Also, if you haven't seen the movie based on this, please save yourself the brain cells and don't waste your time.
    Last edited by UncomfortablyNumb; 12-02-2014 at 10:59 PM.
    She transitioned from a stupid asshole to a dumb bitch.

radiation sickness

This is a creepy picture to me
    =

Puppy!!!

What bothers me about Chernobyl, is that it's not in some out of the way wilderness in eastern Russia. It's on the northern border Ukraine shares with Belarus.

Why can't those damn Russians leave these people alone? Haven't they done enough damage?

Puppy!!!
    That's a piggy.

Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    That's a piggy.
    For serious? I thought it was a puppy, too.

There are some really upsetting pics of the "children of Chernobyl". If anyone wants to see them. You can google image "children of chernobyl birth defects"

Don't say I didn't warn ya.

Dammit Deb!!!

I KNOW!!! I warned you!!!

Well, shit, you two.

Thread Information