Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Banned West Papuan Flag Is Being Flown Worldwide December 1st

The Banned West Papuan Flag Is Being Flown Worldwide December 1st

The Banned West Papuan Morning Star Flag Is Being Flown As Dec 1st Dawns Around The World

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...-papuas-plight

West Papua a No-Go Zone For Foreign Journalists

http://america.aljazeera.com/article...ablackout.html

https://newmatilda.com/2014/12/01/we...e-celebrations

Melbourne Celebrations
    By Amy McQuire

Planned celebrations to mark the brief independence of West Papua will go ahead in Melbourne today, despite pressure from Indonesia. Amy McQuire reports.

The West Papuan community and its supporters around Australia will raise the Morning Star flag today - a criminal offense within the Indonesian province - despite allegations of Indonesian pressure to prevent the ceremony from going ahead in Melbourne.

To mark the 53rd anniversary of the raising of the flag, the West Papuan community organised an event called ?19 days of freedom?, held in the heart of Melbourne at Federation Square.

The documentary Isolated will be screened, and there will be screenings of short videos every day until the 19th, when the Strange Birds in Paradise film will be shown to end the commemoration.

But New Matilda has learned after the event was advertised on Facebook last week, the Indonesian consulate in Melbourne immediately sought a meeting with Federation Square.

They raised concerns about the Facebook event, wanting it to be taken down despite it being separate from the organisation, and then wanted assurances the Morning Star flag would not be raised or shown at the event.

It is understood Federation Square refused because it is apolitical, supportive of all cultural groups, and cannot prevent members of the public wearing whatever they want and raising their own flags.

West*Papuan*activist Ronny Kareni told New Matilda members of the West Papuan community often had their events threatened, or were under surveillance by Indonesia.

?They use scare tactics behind closed doors to go after organisations or groups of people that want to support West Papua,? Mr Kareni said.

?They approached Federation Square a couple of days after they saw the event page on Facebook. They rang a particular day five times and pressured them to pull down the event on the website.?

Mr Kareni says there was a similar situation in 2004 when the consulate pressured organisers of a screening of the documentary Journey to Freedom, which charts the activism of West Papuan leader Herman Wainggai.

He says members of the community will be looking out for Indonesian surveillance at the event today.

Earlier this year, Lateline aired allegations of Indonesian students spying on activities by the West Papuan community in Melbourne. https://newmatilda.com/2014/10/08/in...apua-activists

The pressure from the consulate has made it hard for the West Papuan community to promote its culture and stories.

?This has caused a lot of challenges for West Papua as a community here trying to build and tell our stories, just to do our cultural things. It?s very difficult to put the name ?West Papua? on community events.

?They?ll apply this fear tactic and stop organisations from supporting us.?

But despite this, Mr Kareni says the West Papuan community remains strong.

?The flag brings hope and strengthens the movement itself. It?s a national symbol and a lot of people have died just for that Morning Star. A lot of people have been imprisoned for that Morning Star.

?[The flag] gives us that strength to fight and pursue self-determination and struggle until West Papua is free, and we can fly it freely.?

The Indonesian consulate in Melbourne did not respond to a request for comment.

December 1, 1961 marked the first time the Morning Star was raised and the national anthem sung alongside the Dutch flag and anthem. It came after the Dutch, who had control over West Papua, accepted a manifesto put forward by the New Guinea Council.

The council was a representative body set up to inform on the wishes of West Papuans for self-determination.

But 19 days later, Indonesian President Sukarno launched a military operation to annex West Papua, which began the invasion of the province (although Indonesian military had been secretly entering the area before that).

In 1962, the Dutch and the Indonesians signed the New York Agreement, which transferred administration to the UN, who handed it over to Indonesia the following year. Indonesia officially took control of West Papua after the controversial Act of Free Choice in 1969.

There have been consistent allegations of human rights violations by the Indonesian military and police inside West Papua ever since, and peaceful protests often suffer brutal crackdowns.

There is a notorious foreign media ban within West Papua which means the situation has largely stayed off the international radar.

But those short 19 days of freedom before Indonesian occupation are being celebrated today across the world, and also inside West Papua, despite it being a criminal offense to raise the Morning Star, with political prisoners like Filep Karma serving sentences of up to 15 years for doing so.
    Mr Kareni says the day is very significant for West Papuans.

?When the flag was raised, we knew that freedom was coming. But then on the 19th day, the Indonesian invasion through Trikora was announced and West Papua has fallen under Indonesian brutality ever since.

?On December 1 we celebrate and also stage our defiance against Indonesian colonialism.?

This year?s celebrations come as a meeting of West Papuan leaders and activists converge on the South Pacific nation of Vanuatu this week to talk about the way forward for West Papuan self-determination.

Indonesia?s Acting Ambassador to Vanuatu, Imron Cotan has already warned it could cut diplomatic ties with Vanuatu over the issue.

Mr Cotan told Radio New Zealand ?Indonesia is ready to go to war in order to maintain Papua within our territory, so we are indeed serious about Papua?.

He was responding to plans by Papuan activists to open an embassy in Vanuatu.

?Nobody, I believe, should take it lightly. Indonesia will be more than prepared to freeze anything if our sovereignty over Papua is questioned. That is definitely a no go in Indonesia."

Vanuatu has been the only consistent supporter of West Papuan independence and has declared December 1 a public holiday in solidarity.

?This forum in Vanuatu is a very significant meeting, and a positive step forward towards achieving a greater voice and leadership,? Mr Kareni says.

?? It?s about bringing not only political organisations but also church groups, tribal groups and women?s groups and NGOs together to have a discussion about a united and inclusive voice in pushing West Papua?s cause of self-determination into regional organisations like the Pacific Island Forum and the Melanesian Spearhead Group.?

http://freewestpapua.org/

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Guess who's changing their profile pic
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

West Papuan students on December 1st 2014 as the world flies the Morningstar with them

West Papuan students aged 15 - 17 on December 8th 2014

https://newmatilda.com/2014/12/10/fi...ces-west-papua

uh any more context to those pictures???

No?? How much more do you need?

As per the thread title & very first post, the banned West Papuan flag was raised worldwide on Dec 1st in solidarity with the West Papuan (banned) National Day.

The first pic I posted today shows West Papuan students taking part in the Dec 1st world-wide flag raising event at great risk to themselves.

The second pic shows West Papuan students a week later after a "run-in" with the feared Indonesian Security Force - but all of this is explained in far more detail in the article I linked with the pix (lol, I usually copypaste the article but as of a few months ago, I started getting shit for doing it, so I've been limiting my posts to links only where possible)

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    No?? How much more do you need?

As per the thread title & very first post, the banned West Papuan flag was raised worldwide on Dec 1st in solidarity with the West Papuan (banned) National Day.

The first pic I posted today shows West Papuan students taking part in the Dec 1st world-wide flag raising event at great risk to themselves.

The second pic shows West Papuan students a week later after a "run-in" with the feared Indonesian Security Force - but all of this is explained in far more detail in the article I linked with the pix (lol, I usually copypaste the article but as of a few months ago, I started getting shit for doing it, so I've been limiting my posts to links only where possible)
    Any? I think that was a visual logic ump that you put together because you knew the connection between both events but that means nothing to us who aren't familiar with it. There's a happy middle ground between not posting an image for everything you randomly associate with a story and then just only posting pictures with no explanation whatsoever.

December 1st is almost here & the people of West Papua will be risking violent death to fly the Morning Star flag again

http://freewestpapua.org/

If you don't know much about the political struggles of West Papua, I recommend reading through these prisoner profiles

http://www.papuansbehindbars.org/

& so that there's no confusion this year, if my next post shows scenes of blood, gore & violence, they wil be the result of the punishments meted out to those who were suspected of being present when a Morning Star flag was raised on 1st December.
    Last edited by blighted star; 11-29-2015 at 04:34 AM.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Risking violent death?

And these Confederate rag fans think they have it rough.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

I didn?t know anything about this. I've never heard of this flag and it's history before. I only have limited negative knowledge of PNG because of the violence that has been reported over the years. Thanks Blighted. I'll have a read.

Yeah, they'll absolutely be tortured & shot if the Indonesian security forces so much as suspect thery've attended a flag-raising or possess an image of the flag, or even a map showing their own provinces of West Papua. Some of the shit on those prisoner profiles is fucking brutal

http://www.papuansbehindbars.org/?pr...-meaga&lang=en

Wiki Meaga was arrested on 20 November 2010 on his way to the funeral of a relative in Piramid village near Bokondini in the Central Highlands of West Papua. The relative had fallen ill after being tortured by police a few months earlier and had subsequently died. According to local newspaper Tabloid Jubi, a group of nine men, including Mr Meaga, were arrested on their way to the funeral, because they had allegedly raised the Morning Star flag in Yalengga village before they left.

According to a court document (see below), Mr Meaga was arrested along with Toebaga Kilunga, Meki Tabuni, Wombi Tabuni, Obeth Kosay, Pastor Ali Jikwa, Oskar Hilago, Meki Elosak and Peres Tabuni. Only information relating to the cases of the first six of these men has been made available so far.

According to another Jubi report, local people said that the nine men were tortured when they were arrested. The police, who stated that the arrested people belong to a group called the ?West Papua Revolutionary Army,? denied the torture, according to a report in Tempo magazine.

Although the case was widely reported when it happened, due to it coinciding with a visit of the Indonesian President to Papua, there are no further media or NGO reports about subsequent charges, trial or imprisonment of the suspects. However, the decision of Wamena District Court against six of the nine people arrested (Obeth Kosay, Teobaga Kilungga, Wombi Tabuni, Wiki Meaga, Ali Jikwa and Meki Tabuni) has been published by the Supreme Court, which upheld the verdict on appeal.

The document reveals that the prosecution accused the nine men of bringing a Morning Star flag mounted on a pole to Yalengga so that the deceased relative (named as Marthen Wenda) could be buried next to the Papuan flag. They were arrested before they reached Mr Wenda?s residence, where mourning was underway. A brief reference is made to the flag having been planted in the ground at the moment of their arrest, and several letters were apparently found by police referring to a ?Tim 1000′ of delegates from the OPM assigned to meet with the Indonesian president.

According to the court report, these accusations constitute the crime for which the six men were each sentenced to eight years? imprisonment for treason.

The trial records of the other three men (whose names are given here as Oskar Hilago, Meki Elosak and Peres Tabuni) have not been made available.

A report in the Cenderawasih Pos claimed that Pastor Ali Yikwa and Toebaga Kilungga were among 42 prisoners who reportedly escaped Wamena Prison in a mass breakout on 4 June 2012. By February 2013, information from Papuan lawyers in contact with Wamena prison authorities confirmed that Peres Tabuni, Meki Tabuni and Wombi Tabuni were no longer in prison. Whether they were released or escaped in June 2012 is unknown.

In July 2014, lawyers from the Democracy Alliance for Papua (Aliansi Demokrasi untuk Papua, ALDP)*reported*that the clemencies for Meki Elosak and Wiki Meaga were being considered*at the Indonesian State Secretariat*(Sekretariat Negara Republik Indonesia, Setneg).

One of the shittier things about this is barely anyone even knows it's happening. Journalists can't get in, locals rarely get out & there's so little technology that they can't draw world attention via soc media like so many other occupied countries. There are a few twitter accounts but if they don't speak English their audience is limited because google translate hasn't got around to covering West Papua yet.

This is one of the few there are

https://twitter.com/BennyWenda

& "they escaped" usually means they were tortured to death.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Thank you for sharing this, Blighted. I am going to visit the site now.

Quote Originally Posted by emylou View Post
    I didn?t know anything about this. I've never heard of this flag and it's history before. I only have limited negative knowledge of PNG because of the violence that has been reported over the years. Thanks Blighted. I'll have a read.
    That's what gets most people confused, this isn't PNG, this is the country Indonesia used to call Irian Jaya -

Sorry about the multi-posting - last one I promise - this is an online campaign you can sign up for & share

https://m.facebook.com/events/183732...l%22%7D&aref=3

Edit & this will give you an idea of daily life (& the severity of daily security force attacks) in West Papua

NSFW NSFL (severe/graphic injuries & death)

***Also some scenes will look like full/partial nudity but it's just the native dress ie koteka (aka penis gourd)

http://leggypeggy.com/2014/12/05/pen...e-goroka-show/

Last edited by blighted star; 11-29-2015 at 10:05 PM.

It's 1st Dec down here in 28 mins. I hope people stay as safe as they can in West Papua tomorrow.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/internation...g-day-ceremony

A West Papua independence activist says scores of people have been arrested and one person shot dead by Indonesian police in Papua yesterday for commemorating its independence day.

Thousands of people across the world took part in demonstrations to mark the anniversary of the region's declaration of independence in 1961, when the Morning Star flag was first raised.

Wellington rally to mark first raising of West Papua's banned Morning Star flag
    Photo: RNZI

When Indonesia took control of the region two years later, it banned the flag.

Benny Wenda says he's had reports many people were arrested, beaten and intimidated across West Papua for marking the day.

"In Serui, a person was shot dead by Indonesian police and two are critical. And some of the members also beat them up. The reports are still coming. And in Nabire a few days before about 32 people were arrested, just preparing for celebrations before 1 December."

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

http://www.jakartaglobe.beritasatu.c...student-rally/

Jakarta.*The Jakarta Legal Aid Institute*(LBH Jakarta) has criticized*police in the capital over the*detention*of several hundred*Papuan students calling*for independence at a rally in the city center on Tuesday.

Hundreds of members of the Papuan Students Alliance (AMP) rallied near the Hotel Indonesia roundabout in Central Jakarta on Tuesday, from about 8 a.m. Police later used tear gas to disperse the crowd.

The demonstration was meant to commemorate*the establishment of a Papuan state independent from Dutch rule, with its own national anthem and the Morning Star flag, effective Dec. 1, 1961.

Indonesia has never*recognized Papuan independence and*later*incorporated the entire region*after a brief United Nations-led transition period and a much-criticized poll. Dec. 1*has since held great importance for Papuan separatists.

In Jakarta on Tuesday, demonstrators called on the national government to allow Papuans to decide their own fate via autonomous governance and a referendum*on independence, besides limiting the role of the Indonesian Military (TNI) in the region.

Police, however, said the protesters didn't have permission to stage their rally.

"The police efforts were lawful, because we have to also take into account the rights of other people," said Sr. Comr. M. Iqbal, a spokesman for the Jakarta Police.

Jalan Imam Bonjol, near the HI roundabout, was completely cut off*because of the demonstration, creating severe traffic congestion in the area.

Police officers gathered in force at the scene before firing tear gas into the crowd as the group prepared to march to the State Palace around 10.30 a.m.

Jakarta. Two foreign journalists have reportedly become victims of police violence and intimidation in Jakarta on Tuesday while covering a rally by Papuan students.

Archicco Guilianno of ABC Australia dan Step*Vaessen of Al Jazeera*were covering the demonstration when police*reportedly asked Archicco to erase his footage. When he didn't immediately comply, identifying himself as a journalist in the process, he was beaten by an officer.

An account of the incident was reported on the website of*Indonesia's*Independent Alliance of Journalists (AJI).

Vaessen recorded the incident but was also ordered to erase the images. Police at some point forcibly did so, the AJI account says

The incident*triggered an immediate condemnation*from AJI, with its chief, Suwarjono, saying in a press release that officers had clearly*violated the law.

AJI urged the National Police to investigate.

Issues surrounding Papua, the scene of a decades-long,*low-level insurgency, remain very sensitive in Indonesia, despite promises by President Joko Widodo to open up the area to foreign journalists.

The West Papuan activists on my fb are starting to post a lot of long conversations but I can't understand any of it (they usually post English too). I hope that horrific things haven't been happening in West Papua since the sun came up yesterday, but I know they have been & it'll be a miracle if even a single photo makes it off the island

Anything that does eventually make it out is usually a trophy shot taken by the security forces.

Terrible.

This is a disgrace. These poor people are completely cut off from the world. I don't even want my mind to think about what is happening there right now.

Ohhhh fuck. The pictures of the victims of Indonesian security force assaults on this timeline right now - & the rest of it.

Be prepared. Lots of blood & horrific injuries - keep in mind the level of medical care these people have access too as well. They'll be lucky to get near antiseptic let alone pain relief

https://twitter.com/PurePapua

It is sickening. I have to agree with the one tweet saying:

#BlackLivesMatter ??! Well let me tell ya: BLACK LIVES DONT MATTER AT ALL in #WestPapua

& remember those punishments were for particularly egregious crimes - like being suspected of intending to witness a flag raising.

The women & girls of West Papua don't escape this daily brutality either

NSFL image in the following article, it's a morgue photo but it's not like the gore in the twitter thread, it' s just fucking sad & rage-inducing.

https://freewestpapua.wordpress.com/...sian-military/

18 year old Papuan student gang raped and then murdered by Indonesian*military
    Posted on July 8, 2012 by Sentani

This photo shows Miss Jeny Badi, only 18 years old. She was gang raped by the Indonesian Military and then shot dead by them on 5th July in Nabire ? West Papua.
    We understand that this is a very distressing image, but we ask everyone to understand the necessity of posting it.*The Indonesian police/government/military, do not want you to see this.

Over 500,000 innocent people have been killed by the Indonesian military in West Papua. Please help them be FREE. That is all they wish. Freedom to think. Freedom to move. Freedom to live. Freedom to decide their own future. FREEDOM FROM INDONESIA

http://freewestpapua.org/info/human-rights/

<<snipped>>

Sexual assault and rape has been repeatedly used as a weapon by the Indonesian military and police.

In a public report to the U.N. Commission on Human Rights in 1999, the Special Rapporteur on Violence Against Women concluded that the Indonesian security forces used rape ?as an instrument of torture and intimidation? in West Papua, and ?torture of women detained by the Indonesian security forces was widespread?.

The Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Centre for Human Rights prepared a full report on ?Rape and Other Human Rights Abuses by the Indonesian Military in Irian Jaya (West Papua), Indonesia?

If you want to see real depravity, go to google images & search "trophy shots west papua"

All those smiling Indonesion soldiers posing with brutalised West Papuan bodies. Compare the attention these trophy shots get to Cecil the Lion or any other animal trophy shot.

This is the first report I've seen on how 2015's 1st December flag raising ceremonies turned out across West Papua last month - it's taken this long for the details to reach activists outside Papua.

The results are as expected.

https://m.facebook.com/freewestpapua...content_filter

Following an Indonesian military and police raid on Wananpompi village on Yapen Island in West Papua, shocking details have emerged of a massacre of West Papuan villagers. According to reports, 2 West Papuan people were shot dead, 2 more tortured to death and 8 others seriously injured.

The villagers were peacefully commemorating the 54th Anniversary of West Papua National Day and the West Papuan flag was raised followed by a prayer service. Suddenly, the Indonesian military and police arrived and opened fire upon the villagers, shooting 12 people.

A human rights report by the KNPB has detailed the names of the victims as well as the horrific injuries they suffered from the attack.

Here are some of those details

[1]Herman Erik Manitori (33 years old) was shot at 06:26, on both legs and near the back of the waist. He was then beaten with gun butts so severely that his right eye was gouged out and the contents of his brain spilled out. As a result of this sadistic torture, he died later in a police truck.

[2]Julian Robaha (50 years old) was shot at 06:27 in both knees and then taken to the police truck to be tortured. Both his legs were cut off and his belly was torn open. He also died in the truck from the horrific torture.

[3]Yonas Manitori (38 years old) is the elder brother of Herman Erik Manitori. He was shot at 06:28, in the abdomen and chest and died.

[4]Darius Anderbi (45 years old) was also shot at 06:28 and died from his injuries.

[5]Agus Manitori (23 years old) was shot in the left leg while trying to help Herman Erik Manitori. He was then shot again in the left thigh and the right ankle as he was about to flee into the forest. He fell beside Herman who told him to leave and flee into the forest. When he was running into the forest, he was shot in his upper left arm and in the stomach. He was seriously injured but reportedly only received medical care later and the care he recieved was not adequate.

[6]Yance Manitori (26 years old) was shot in the left ankle and right as well as in the left knee while trying to help Agus Manitori and other victims. Apparently he also did not receive adequate medical care.

[7]Paulinus Wororowai (26 years old) was shot in his torso, resulting in a broken rib cage and another bullet lodged in his body. He was left in critical condition and was sent to Biak Island for medical treatment.

8. Anton Toni Runaweri (43 years old) was shot in the side of his neck, penetrating his jaw and mouth, fracturing his jaw and leaving him unable to eat. He is in critical condition and is being referred to Surabaya to get serious medical treatment.

9. Sakarias Torobi (35 years old) was shot in the left leg leaving his leg bone shattered and broken and another bullet lodged in. On 6th December, he received surgery in Biak.

10. Alius Karimati Alius Karimati (45 years old) was shot through his arm by the Indonesian Police Mobile Brigade as he was about to run into the forest. He screamed in pain but was not referred to Biak for treatment.

11. Daud Luther Ayomi (53 years old) was shot in the arm and shoulder.
    His arm was broken and a bullet was lodged deep into his shoulder. He was sent to Biak hospital for medical treatment of his serious injuries.

12. Pilemon Ayomi (49 years old) was shot in the arm leaving his bones broken. He was also sent to Biak hospital for his serious injuries.

The Free West Papua Campaign fully condemn this heinous massacre of West Papuan villagers just for raising the West Papuan flag. West Papuan Independence Leader and Spokesperson for the United Liberation Movement for West Papua (ULMWP), Benny Wenda also fully condemned the brutal massacre.

He said, ?It breaks my heart every time I hear such news of yet another human rights atrocity committed by the Indonesian authorities against my people. How can the raising of a national flag justify the shooting and killing of innocent people?

?Therefore on behalf of my people, I call upon the Melanesian Spearhead Group, the Pacific Islands Forum and all relevant bodies to please help to from such a human rights fact-finding mission and to discover and help to stop the ongoing genocide against Melanesian Pacific Islanders to this day.

?And I appeal to you, people of the world to please look at the terrible situation my people are facing. In 30 or 40 years, there may be no more West Papuans left in West Papua. As human beings we cannot leave our fellow human beings to perish in this way. The world needs to know about this 21st Century genocide in occupied West Papua.?

You can read Benny Wenda?s full statement here
    http://bennywenda.org/2015/reported-...in-west-papua/

To find out how you can Take Action against the secret genocide in occupied West Papua, please click on the link below
    www.freewestpapua.org/take-action/

Papua Merdeka

These attacks are Indonesia's response to this year's West Papuan flag-raising.

NSFL injury/death pix included in article & below

https://www.thesaturdaypaper.com.au/...15453972007326

Edition No. 236 DECEMBER 22, 2018

The Indonesian military has employed airstrikes in West Papua ? suspected to include the banned chemical weapon white phosphorus ? as a retaliation for murders following a flag-raising protest. By John Martinkus and Mark Davis .

Exclusive: Chemical weapons dropped on Papua

A villager wounded in the Indonesian attack in the West Papua central highlands. CREDIT: SUPPLIED

There are burns around the wounds. The flesh appears to have been torn open or burrowed into, the victims? clothing melted or cut away. At least seven are dead. Thousands more have fled into the hills.

These are the first images of a major operation being conducted by the Indonesian military in the central highlands of West Papua. Other photographs show yellow-tipped bombs, collected by villagers. Some weapons appear to be white phosphorus, banned under international law for use of this kind.

White phosphorus is considered both an incendiary weapon and a chemical weapon. It burns through skin and flesh, down to the bone. It cannot be extinguished. The only way to save a person hit with it is to submerge them in water and attempt to remove the phosphorus. Many die from internal burns. Others from the phosphorous absorbed into their bodies, which can cause multiple organ failure.

A military source confirms the weapons ?appear to be incendiary or white phosphorus?. The source says ?even the smallest specks burn through clothing, skin, down to the bone and keep on bubbling away. I have seen it up close and personal and it?s a horrible weapon.?

One Indonesian soldier said they were firing a type of gas on the villages. ?It is an explosion, but a type of gas.?

The photographs were taken between December 4 and 15. Three of the dead are from a village called Mbua, in the Nduga region. Their names are Mianut Lokbere, Nison Tabuni and Mendus Tabuni. Four others were killed in a village called Yigili. ?It was happened on December 15, 2018,? an Mbua man told The Saturday Paper. ?At 11.25 local time. They are dead because Indo army bombing them from the chopper. It?s because of airfare.?

One image shows a man swathed in wet bandages, strips of cloth really, in an attempt to alleviate his pain from the burning object still inside him. Another shows a woman beside the grave of someone killed in the bombing and some unexploded shells carefully collected by the villagers. Others show the bodies of the dead.

Sources say at least four villages have been attacked, from the air, from artillery and from ground troops. The Indonesian army has sealed off the area. Church and local government officials cannot get in to investigate or help those sheltering in the jungle, some of whom may be wounded.

A colleague looks at one picture and asks: "Is that a face"?

The troops were lined up at the airport in Abepura, which serves the West Papuan capital of Jayapura. There were large backpacks and weapons casually left all over the place. The scene was broadcast on Indonesian state television. They were going to the jungles of the West Papuan highlands, ostensibly to retrieve the bodies of the 31 Indonesian road builders who had been killed by local villagers. It was presented as a humanitarian act. But like everything in Papua, nothing was really as it seemed. In reality, the troops were going in, heavily armed and with full air support, to teach the West Papuans a lesson. They were going in to kill. They would fly to Wamena, the main town in the highlands. From there, helicopters would take them to the remote villages inhabited by the Nduga people.

The incident started on December 1, several days before the troops went in. December 1 is the day West Papuans mark as their declaration of independence from the Dutch in 1963. Indonesians began occupying West Papua the following year and in 1969 formally annexed the territory.

On December 1, the West Papuans raised their flag, the Morning Star. Such events are a source of great tension with the Indonesians. This year, Indonesian troops arrested more than 500 for attending flag-raising ceremonies in the capital Jayapura, as well as in regional centres and places such as Surabaya, where Papuan students held a protest before the arrests.

In this atmosphere, on that day, the Nduga people held their own flag-raising ceremony in an isolated central highlands Nduga village. A group of Indonesian road workers building the Trans-Papua Highway, designed to link remote communities, attended. One of them started taking photos and video of the crowd. Fearful that those images would be used in later arrests of independence day celebrators, the Papuans chased the Indonesians back to their accommodation. There, 24 workers were killed ? eight others escaped, fleeing to the home of a local politician. The following day, seven of these workers were killed.

That started the aerial bombing from the Indonesian side. With their military presence in the area minimal, they called in airstrikes. That is when the helicopters with the bombs came. In addition to the suspected deployment of white phosphorus, they dropped a variety of high explosive and shrapnel. The villages were blanketed.

No international journalists are allowed into West Papua, let alone this remote area. No foreign non-government organisations are allowed. No outside observers are allowed. However, some of the Nduga have phones with cameras, and have sent The Saturday Paper images of bodies, smashed and wounded horribly.

In a statement, the Department of Foreign Affairs acknowledged the ongoing violence in the region. ?The Australian government is aware of continuing reports of violence in Nduga, Papua, including unverified reports of the alleged use of ?phosphorous projectiles?,? a spokesperson said. ?The government condemns all violence in Papua, affecting civilians and authorities alike. We will continue to monitor the situation, including through our diplomatic missions in Indonesia.?

In 2002 I was in the bush camp of Mathias Wenda, the commander of the arms-bearing division of the Free Papua Movement, near the border between West Papua and Papua New Guinea. He gave me a large sheaf of waterlogged paper. Typewritten, with ink running from the dampness, were the names of thousands of Papuans who had died trying to get to the border from their villages. They were hard people, tough people, you could see it in their sinewy bodies, but even they struggled to complete that journey across tortuous mountain ranges pursued by Indonesian helicopters and troops.

Someone had carried that list through the mountains and added to it as men, women and children fell from exhaustion and disease and Indonesian military actions. I still have the papers. They are testament to so many dead in a conflict ignored and denied by its closest neighbours.

Until 1977, the Nduga lived in these valleys and hills, totally cut off from the outside world. They didn?t know the Dutch had gone and the Indonesians were in charge. They lived in the forest, tending their gardens and raising their pigs. In 1977, the Indonesians launched a military operation in the area. This was the first contact many had with the outside world: Indonesian troops jumping out of helicopters and shooting them down with M16s. Many ran to the surrounding hills. Many kept running. In the face of the latest attacks, many Nduga have again fled. Enormous hardship awaits them in the cold mountains, from lack of food and extreme conditions. Some may be wounded. No aid can get through.

The Indonesians declared that they have recovered some of their people?s bodies. A spokesman for Papua police, Suryadi Diaz, said they were still trying to locate the other murdered road workers, and that one remained missing. ?This is the worst attack launched by the armed criminal group recently amid intensified development by the government,? he said.

The West Papuan leadership is pleading for international intervention. Their people are dying at the hands of Indonesia?s military. The weapons apparently being used are condemned by international law. Our own government, aware of the campaign of violence, remains at arm?s length. The only news coming out of Nduga is in the form of terrible pictures: documents of a massacre happening on Australia?s doorstep.

>>
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by blighted star; 12-21-2018 at 09:02 PM.

Thread Information