Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Christa Engles (26) was accidentally shot dead by her toddler after he found a loaded gun under the couch

Christa Engles (26) was accidentally shot dead by her toddler after he found a loaded gun under the couch

I really don't think there can be a worse story. Devastating.

Toddler accidentally shoots Army veteran
    Christa Engles, 26, seen here in January after the birth of her daughter. She was accidentally shot dead Monday by her 3-year-old toddler son as she changed the infant girl's diaper, police said.
    A young mom was accidentally shot dead Monday by her toddler son as she changed her 1-year-old daughter?s diaper, police in Oklahoma said.

The ?horrible, horrible accident,? happened around 4:30 p.m., when the 3-year-old boy found the loaded semiautomatic handgun and fired a shot, hitting 26-year-old Christa Engles in the head, Tulsa police told the Tulsa World.

She died 60 minutes later.

Her mother and husband also live at the South 168th East Avenue home, but neither was home at the time.

"The grandmother came in and supposedly found the two children covered in blood," neighbor Vera Bennett told KOKI-TV.

Police said there were several guns in the home, but the toddler found the "large caliber" handgun under a couch before he fired the fatal bullet. As the little boy was taken from the home to be interviewed by police, he repeated over and over again, "Mommy shot," KJRH-TV reported.

Brian Engles, the husband, was working out of state as a truck driver when he learned his wife had been hospitalized with a life-threatening gunshot wound. He took to Facebook to urge family and friends to pray for his wife - before breaking the bad news.

?I lost my Wife to an accident yesterday,? he wrote early Tuesday. ?Don't forget to tell your loved ones they are loved. You really never know when the last I love you really is the last.?

Cops spoke with the little boy, who confirmed to police what had happened. The shooting was described by police as ?a horrible, horrible accident.?

On Facebook, Engles is pictured wearing Army fatigues and refers to herself as ?Spc? Engles. The Tulsa World confirmed she was an enrolled military member.

?It's a new day, it will be my first without you,? her devastated husband wrote on Facebook. ?I have so much on my mind but it doesn't matter. I know you loved me, I worship the ground you walked on. I am the luckiest man alive, to have been able to love you. Since the day i met you you have been the best part of me. I love you Precious Angel.?
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2023300

Last edited by Olivia; 12-01-2014 at 01:13 PM. Reason: added article

Senior Member UncomfortablyNumb's Avatar
    Why the hell was the gun under the couch??
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    She transitioned from a stupid asshole to a dumb bitch.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Extremely sad and tragic. It angers me though because it could have been avoided. SHE WAS MILITARY! She should have known better to keep the guns locked up

That poor little boy will have a lot of issues growing up knowing what happened. I hope they're able to move forward in a healthy way and that he gets the therapy and support he'll inevitably need. Terrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

nah, the kid won't even remember unless the dad is a dumbass and tells the story every night before bed. who the fuck leaves loaded guns under a couch when they have two young kids. it's like she wanted them to find it.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Does this choice of words seem a tad strange to anyone else?

Brian Engles
    November 24 at 5:20pm ?
    My Wife has been hurt really bad while I was out working. Don't ask what or call me, just Pray with all you've got. Thnx.

no. he was a truck driver, he wouldn't be 'at work' because his work is driving everywhere for long periods of time - hence, 'out working'.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by becoming View Post
    Does this choice of words seem a tad strange to anyone else?
    Not even a little bit. Thank goodness you're not a detective.

It wasn't any old gun though. It was a semi automatic large caliber loaded pistol with the safety off.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    nah, the kid won't even remember unless the dad is a dumbass and tells the story every night before bed. who the fuck leaves loaded guns under a couch when they have two young kids. it's like she wanted them to find it.
    I don't know. Being questioned by the cops over and over? And what happens when he's older and wants to know how Mom died?

If the gun was a high caliber gun- I do wonder how tough that little guy was the be able to pull the trigger on it? Plus, it was a semi automatic and only one shot was fired- which went right in mom's head.

I will never understand why people don't put their guns up, especially when they have kids around.

Between the ocean and shitty farm fields, California
    seriously I don't even have kids and all our shit is locked up.
    Quote Originally Posted by UncomfortablyNumb View Post
    I want that fucking meat.

I didn't mean that he said "out working" in that way... Just that he mentioned he was working when it happened. Seems odd to me. Wouldn't you just say, "My wife has been hurt badly. Please pray." Why throw in that you were working when it happened?

I didn't mean that he said "out working" in that way... Just that he mentioned he was working when it happened. Seems odd to me. Wouldn't you just say, "My wife has been hurt badly. Please pray." Why throw in that you were working when it happened?
    Maybe so people would know he wasn't home and to not try to contact him there? Since he's a truck driver it makes more sense. He's probably gone for weeks at a time. I see saying that as no different than someone saying "while I was over seas".

I guess. My husband works offshore, and I don't see him mentioning he was at work when announcing I was gravely injured, but different strokes I guess! I am probably just being skeptical because of what a giant clusterfuck this situation was and how many stars had to align in order for this to even happen. A 3-year-old finds a loaded gun under his military parents' couch, is able to somehow pull the trigger, and the shot goes right in his mom's head. Just crazy.

I remember details of incidents from when I was three years old, and I don't mean things that people repeated to me. Maybe I'm weird? I sure as hell would remember if I shot my mom. I remember very specific details about an upsetting incident from when I had just turned three, and someone who was there didn't believe me but then I was able to rattle of details they'd never told anyone.

While it is a bit odd that the kid had such good aim, if there were foul play, I would hope they'd come up with a story that would make this family look less stupid.

You would have me in handcuffs so fast.

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    I remember things from when I was 2. I could be weird. I also had a very strong grasp of language, aka I could talk my ass off. I was so smart, and my memory was so good that I testified in court at 4, about a incident that happened when I was 3. The kid could very well remember.

While not impossible, this story is very, very hard to believe. Suicide maybe?

I definitely have CLEAR memories of things that happened when I was 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Queena View Post
    I remember things from when I was 2. I could be weird. I also had a very strong grasp of language, aka I could talk my ass off. I was so smart, and my memory was so good that I testified in court at 4, about a incident that happened when I was 3. The kid could very well remember.

While not impossible, this story is very, very hard to believe. Suicide maybe?
    I definitely have CLEAR memories of things that happened when I was 3.
    Fuck outta here with that shit. You people are mutants.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    Fuck outta here with that shit. You people are mutants.
    i agree. not likely. if you do remember that shit clearly you are not at all the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    i agree. not likely. if you do remember that shit clearly you are not at all the norm.
    I think it's a combination of remembering pieces of it, and constantly bringing it up as an adult.

You don't actually remember doing it, but repetitive recalling of it as an adult is why you remember the story.

A lot of things we "remember" is due to constantly telling the story.
    Last edited by Ron_NYC; 11-27-2014 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    I think it's a combination of remembering pieces of it, and constantly bringing it up as an adult.

You don't actually remember doing it, but you bringing it up as an adult is why you remember the story.

A lot of things we "remember" is due to constantly telling the story.
    yeah. sometimes, i'll hit on what i think is a memory and i ask my mom about it and she laughs because the memory was not at all in context. she'l be like, different time, same place or something.

the other day i remembered being at joshua tree watching halley's comet but it was also hailing. i asked mom. nope. two different memories merged. and that was when i was 7 already.

Thread Information