Thread: Former model and restaurateur - B. Smith - goes missing in Hamptons

Former model and restaurateur - B. Smith - goes missing in Hamptons

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2024772

Smith, whose first name is Barbara, suffers from Alzheimer's and was last seen in Southampton.

Pioneering former model and restaurateur B. Smith has gone missing in the Hamptons.

The 65-year-old, who has Alzheimer's disease, was last seen in Southampton, MyFoxNY.com reported Wednesday.

Smith, one of the first African-American models to grace the cover of Mademoiselle, spoke candidly about her struggle in an interview last year with CBS News.

?You do try to hide it from everybody," said Smith, whose first name is Barbara.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

Wait, is that a recent picture? That woman is 65? Jesus that black don't crack.

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Wait, is that a recent picture? That woman is 65? Jesus that black don't crack.
    Ah ha ha! I actually pulled that off the internet as the one with the article was too big but, yeah, she looks great. Check out her Facebook. She's aging well!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/p...n-ny/19527787/

An alert has gone out for famed restaurateur and former model Barbara Smith, known as B. Smith, who has Alzheimer's and has been reported missing on Long Island.

Fox News is reporting that Smith was last seen in Southampton, Long Island, at about 8 p.m. on Tuesday, after arriving from New York City on a jitney.

CBS News tweeted it confirmed the report with Smith's family.

When Smith didn't turn up at her home, her husband and business partner, Dan Gasby, reported her missing.

She was said to be wearing a blue sweater, pink shirt, jeans and black sneakers.

Police in Sag Harbor, where she lives, asked for public help in finding her. Neither police nor Smith's office immediately returned calls.

Smith, 64, revealed earlier this year that she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's after years of symptoms such as memory loss and confusion.

She said at the time she was trying to remain positive.

"I think the future's going to be fine," she said. "I'm going to do my best to make it work out for me and for as many people that I can possibly help, too."

Smith, one of the first African-American models to appear on the cover of Mademoiselle, later became an acclaimed restaurateur, designer and decorator.

In 1986, she opened her first restaurant in New York City, and two more followed. Her Washington eatery closed last year after 20 years in business. She went on to become a pioneer in the lifestyle area, an expert in food and home entertaining.

In April, after she and Gasby closed their restaurants, they sold their Central Park West apartment for nearly $6 million and moved to Sag Harbor.

At the time, Gasby joked to the New York Post that they needed a warmer climate, saying "There's nothing noble about being old in the cold."

The apartment, decorated by the couple, seemed to be worth every penny, according to a USA TODAY feature at Christmas in 2005.

The 2,500-square-foot spread on the 35th floor of a Modernist building "boasts views that are both, as they like to say, town (7th Avenue south to Times Square and beyond) and country (to the north, all of Central Park).

"Two honey-hued chairs in their bedroom provide a King Kong perspective on the New Year's Eve ball dropping. In the airy living room, the wheat sectional and espresso club chairs supply scenes of the epicenter of Manhattan Christmas, with ice skaters circling Wollman Rink and horse-drawn carriages along snow-patched paths."

Missing restaurateur B. Smith reported found in N.Y.

Famed restaurateur and former model B. Smith, who has Alzheimer's and was reported missing on Long Island today, has been found, reports say.

CBS News tweeted it confirmed that Barbara Smith, known professionally as B. Smith, was found in a diner in Manhattan.

The New York ABC affiliate also confirmed it.

It's a hopeful end to an alarming story that broke Wednesday.

Fox News and CBS News reported that Smith was last seen in Southampton, Long Island, at about 8 p.m. on Tuesday, after arriving from New York City on a jitney.

When Smith didn't turn up at her home, her husband and business partner, Dan Gasby, reported her missing. She was said to be wearing a blue sweater, pink shirt, jeans and black sneakers.

The Sag Harbor Express newspaper reported that a local man ran into Gasby about 10 p.m. on Tuesday in Sag Harbor, and he said he was looking for Smith.

Police in Sag Harbor, where she lives, confirmed that there was an open, active missing-person investigation seeking Smith, and asked for the public's help in finding her, but has not responded to the reports that she was found. Smith's office did not immediately return calls.

ABC reported that Smith's daughter was told by the jitney driver that she got off at the Sag Harbor stop, but then, according to unnamed friends, she got back onto the jitney and returned to the city. Someone recognized her at a diner and called it in.

Smith, 65, revealed earlier this year that she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's after years of symptoms such as memory loss and confusion.

She said at the time she was trying to remain positive.

"I think the future's going to be fine," she said. "I'm going to do my best to make it work out for me and for as many people that I can possibly help, too."

Smith, one of the first African-American models to appear on the cover of Mademoiselle, later became an acclaimed restaurateur, designer and decorator.

In 1986, she opened her first restaurant in New York City, and two more followed. Her Washington eatery closed last year after 20 years in business. She went on to become a pioneer in the lifestyle area, an expert in food and home entertaining.

In April, after she and Gasby closed their restaurants; they sold their Central Park West apartment for nearly $6 million and moved to Sag Harbor.

At the time, Gasby joked to the New York Post that they needed a warmer climate, saying, "There's nothing noble about being old in the cold."

The apartment, decorated by the couple, seemed to be worth every penny, according to a USA TODAY feature at Christmas in 2005.

The 2,500-square-foot spread on the 35th floor of a Modernist building "boasts views that are both, as they like to say, town (Seventh Avenue south to Times Square and beyond) and country (to the north, all of Central Park).

"Two honey-hued chairs in their bedroom provide a King Kong perspective on the New Year's Eve ball dropping. In the airy living room, the wheat sectional and espresso club chairs supply scenes of the epicenter of Manhattan Christmas, with ice skaters circling Wollman Rink and horse-drawn carriages along snow-patched paths.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/p...n-ny/19527787/
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

What a shame.

I can't imagine anything scarier than slowly losing my mind like that.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBeWithMe View Post
    What a shame.

I can't imagine anything scarier than slowly losing my mind like that.
    Seriously.

Growing up, my grandpa (my mom's dad) was always super strict and take charge. I went to visit him the other week because my mom said his health is declining after having a stroke, and being diagnosed with Alzheimer's and a certain kind of dementia (I can't remember what it was called). He was SO not the grandpa I remember, even from just a few years ago. he couldn't move on his own, he speech was slurred, like someone who is very drunk, and he would randomly yell out something someone said for no reason. It was scary and really tough to see. My dad told me that when my grandpa was younger, he said he never wanted to live that way. But it's like he doesn't even realize it, because if he did I'm sure he wouldn't want to keep living like he is. I definitely wouldn't want to.

But my grandpa is pretty bad ass because he beat cancer last year, for the second time, even in his fragile condition.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    I thought she died years ago. I'm happy to see she was found safe. Alzheimers (sp) and dementia are very difficult diseases to watch a loved one suffer through.

Thread Information