Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Elizabeth Sullivan's (31) remains were pulled from the San Diego Bay two years after she went missing

Wow. This doesn't look too good for him. If it was the husband, after two years I bet he thought he'd got away with it... he must be shaking in his shoes right now.

Props to the Aunt for making sure those kids have a way to know that their mother's family cared, and for doing it in such a calm way.

Quote Originally Posted by DivineMsW View Post
    Wow. This doesn't look too good for him. If it was the husband, after two years I bet he thought he'd got away with it... he must be shaking in his shoes right now.
    Props to the Aunt for making sure those kids have a way to know that their mother's family cared, and for doing it in such a calm way.
    Yeah, I don't think the husband is shaking in his shoes at all. It really sounds like the police didn't do much while she was missing.
    It's always so puzzling to me how the police work. In some cases, a person is missing and it's all out "hundreds of feet on the ground" kind of thing, then you have another missing and it's like "oh well"

What the aunt wrote was sad BUT.....there's nothing in this world that would keep me from filing court papers to have some visitation with my grandkid. Why doesn't Elizabeth's dad do that? I guess the aunt doesn't have any visitation rights, but the grandparents sure do.

Here's the timeline. It seems there were a couple of sightings of her.
    Source: http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loca...#ixzz4SKwjMkqF
    Follow us: @nbcsandiego on Twitter | NBCSanDiego on Facebook[/QUOTE]

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    It breaks my heart reading what they wrote

But, yeah... Just like Berm mentioned, why not file for visitation?

Even if he is responsible, it's going to be extremely difficult to prove it after all of this time. If she was found in a cooler or something like that, then they can conclude that she was murdered, but after 2 years I'm sure it's going to be difficult to determine COD or prove who did it
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

I just went through a grandparent visitation case in Illinois, which the law is basically the same all across the board. The law here was written specifically for situations like this (though there are loopholes that allow grandparents to file with no threshold finding of harm - as in my case) and I have no doubts the grandparents would be awarded visitation. I hope they file.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...474093903.html

A former U.S. Navy service member accused in the mysterious 2014 disappearance and slaying of his wife allegedly used a knife to kill her, prosecutors revealed Wednesday.

Matthew Sullivan, 32, made his first court appearance in San Diego on Valentine's Day.

Sullivan was arrested on Jan. 31 outside his home in Wyoming, Delaware, for the murder of his wife and mother of his children, Elizabeth Sullivan, 31. He was extradited to San Diego on Feb. 9 and booked into San Diego Central Jail on one count of first-degree murder.

Matthew pleaded not guilty at his arraignment; his bail was set at $2 million. His defense attorney, Marcus DeBose, said his client is also facing one allegation of using a knife in the course of the killing.

DeBose said Matthew has no prior criminal record. He was involved in domestic violence incidents during his marriage but Matthew was never arrested or charged with a crime, his attorney said.

Prosecutors said a knife allegedly tied to the crime was discovered in the attic of the home the couple had shared in San Diego's Liberty Station area. The knife was found by investigators after Elizabeth had disappeared and after the family had moved out, San Diego Police Department (SDPD) Capt. Mike Hastings said.

San Diego County District Attorney Summer Stephan said the knife had been hidden in the attic and contained "key evidence" linking Matthew to the murder.

There was also flooding under the carpet in the home the couple shared. The home was searched several times throughout the investigation, Hastings said.
    On Oct. 6, 2016, the case experienced a major break when Elizabeth?s decomposed body was found floating in the San Diego Bay near Farragut Road, about a half-mile from where she had last been seen alive years earlier.

The SDPD determined she had been a victim of a homicide.

Stephan said Elizabeth's body was found on the very day that Matthew was packing up his belongings and moving out of state.

After Matthew's arrest two weeks ago, SDPD Lt. Mike Holden said investigators believe Elizabeth was murdered around the time of her disappearance in 2014. When Elizabeth?s body was discovered, it was in an advanced stage of decomposition but investigators believe it had not been in the bay since her death.

At this point, it is unclear where her body was from the time she was killed until the time she was found in the water.

Stephan said Wednesday investigators believe Elizabeth's body was "hidden somewhere" before it was disposed of in the bay, but she couldn't disclose further details, citing the ongoing investigation.

Stephan said Elizabeth had been stabbed to death but details of where she was killed were not released. Hastings said more information would emerge at Matthew's preliminary hearing.

Holden said last month that San Diego detectives long on this case are confident they have their suspect.

?We have the right person,? Holden told NBC 7 on Jan. 31.
    DeBose said Matthew had been taking care of the girls ? who are now 5 and 7 years old ? up until the time of his arrest. Elizabeth?s father, who lives in Virginia, now has custody of the children.

Wow! I missed the update where they found the knife and that they suspected that he stored her body somewhere for the two years. That would make much more sense because it seemed unlikely that she'd be hanging out that close to the area she was last seen undiscovered. They should be talking to the new girlfriend. It's hard for me to believe that she didn't know what was up. In order to extradite him, they must be pretty sure if their evidence. It'll be interesting to see if he's found guilty. I wonder where the kids are now? He sounds like a total dick. To assault her while she's on a video chat with a witness is bold AF. I can't imagine what he did to get behind closed doors.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    Wow! I missed the update where they found the knife and that they suspected that he stored her body somewhere for the two years. That would make much more sense because it seemed unlikely that she'd be hanging out that close to the area she was last seen undiscovered. They should be talking to the new girlfriend. It's hard for me to believe that she didn't know what was up. In order to extradite him, they must be pretty sure if their evidence. It'll be interesting to see if he's found guilty. I wonder where the kids are now? He sounds like a total dick. To assault her while she's on a video chat with a witness is bold AF. I can't imagine what he did to get behind closed doors.
    According to the article above, they are living with their maternal grandfather in Virginia, which gives me great pleasure since that POS kept them away from their mother's family for two years after she went missing.
    Last edited by KimTisha; 02-25-2020 at 09:06 AM.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    According to the article above, they are living with their maternal grandfather in Virginia, which gives me great pleasure since that POS kept them away from their mother's family for two years after she went missing.
    Ahhhh. I missed that. Very happy for that as well.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    Another asshole husband you say? Who knew????
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Now go fuck yourself.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ears-life.html

Navy veteran who murdered his cheating wife and hid her body in freezer before dumping her in San Diego Bay is jailed for 16 years to life - after VERY nearly getting away with it

Navy vet Matthew Sullivan maintains he did not kill his wife Elizabeth Sullivan
    But last year, the 36-year-old was found guilty of second degree murder
    He was sentenced to 16 years to life in a San Diego courtroom with Superior Court Judge Albert Harutunian III handing down the sentence on Friday
    The mother of two daughters mysteriously went missing in October 2014
    It is believed that Sullivan hid his wife's body in a freezer for two years
    But he tried to dispose of her body in the San Diego bay before moving east

A navy veteran who murdered his wife and hid her body in a freezer for two years before dumping her in the San Diego Bay has been sentenced this week to 16 years to life in prison.

Matthew Sullivan maintains he did not kill Elizabeth Sullivan, 32, whom prosecutors said he stabbed at their home in Liberty Station in October 2014.

But last year, a San Diego Superior Court jury found the 36-year-old guilty of second-degree murder, and he was sentenced in a San Diego courtroom with Superior Court Judge Albert Harutunian III handing down the sentence on Friday.

'The jury verdict and the evidence at trial made it clear that Matthew Sullivan brutally murdered his wife, methodically cleaned up the messy murder site, and then hid the body for years,' Harutunian said.

'He almost got away with it, but his final attempt to hide the body at the bottom of the bay failed.'

The mother of two daughters mysteriously went missing in October 2014 from the family's San Diego home.

Prosecutor Jill Lindberg told jurors during the opening statements of the trial that Sullivan may have stabbed his wife five times after learning she was having an affair.

He then hid her body in the freezer until he had to remove it because he was moving to the east coast, Lindberg said, and he needed to dispose of it.

But in 2016, her decomposing body was found in the San Diego bay around half a mile from the family's home, and investigators later found blood under her bedroom carpet and a knife hidden in the attic.

When Sullivan was arrested in 2018 he was living in Delaware.

Lindberg repeated in court on Friday that Sullivan had 'murdered his wife in their home as their children were in the other room.'

'He made her look like the person who had abandoned her family, when that was not the case and he knew it,' Lindberg said. She added Sullivan had allowed his two daughters to 'twist in the wind and wonder what had happened to' Elizabeth.

Sullivan served eight years in the U.S. Navy before he was honourably discharged in 2016 with the rank of petty officer. He was deployed overseas, including in the Middle East.

During the sentencing hearing, the veteran said that he felt he would not have been found guilty if he had better defence witnesses to testify for him.

'I firmly believe their testimony would have changed the verdict in this trial,' he said.

But Lindberg replied: 'There is clearly no remorse on the defendant's part. He thinks he could have gotten a different verdict.'

Sullivan was not the one to report his wife missing, rather it was one of her friends to make the report.

Detectives would later learn that Sullivan had bought carpet cleaner the day after she disappeared.

Forensic tests found Elizabeth Sullivan’s blood soaked into the wooden floor in her bedroom and the carpeting. The knife found in the attic also had traces of blood.

Sullivan’s attorney explained the blood in the carpet was a result of Elizabeth self-harming, and that she was also likely the one who hid the knife to hide it.

After around 10 days of trial and roughly a day and half of deliberation, the jury reached their verdict last March, clearing Sullivan of first-degree murder, but finding him guilty of second-degree murder.

Thread Information