Thread: K-Pop Deaths - Grate Collapses & 16 Fall To Their Deaths Down 65 Ft Shaft

K-Pop Deaths - Grate Collapses & 16 Fall To Their Deaths Down 65 Ft Shaft

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/10/18...html?referrer=

SEOUL, South Korea — At least 14 people watching a Korean pop band perform at an outdoor concert were killed on Friday when the ventilation grate they were standing on caved in, fire officials said.

Twenty-five people plunged 66 feet to the surface below after the steel grids at the top of the raised ventilation platform collapsed, said a fire official who spoke on the condition of anonymity until there was a formal announcement. An additional 10 people were injured, he said. The local news media reported that some of the injured were seriously hurt and that the death toll could rise.

About 1,000 people had gathered to watch the concert at Pan-gyo Techno Valley, a newly built town that houses many high-tech companies south of Seoul, the capital, local news reports said. Local television stations showed a gaping hole where the ventilation grate had disappeared.

They cited witnesses as saying that a small crowd of people, including office workers from the neighborhood, had climbed onto the grate to get a better view of the performers, including a popular girl band called 4Minute. The accident took place as South Korea has called for better safety precautions following the sinking of the ferry Sewol, which killed 304 people in April.

http://www.altpress.com/news/entry/1..._k_pop_concert

16 people died on Friday when a ventilation grate collapsed at a K-pop concert in Seongnam, South Korea. According to the Associated Press, 16 people fell 65 feet down a shaft to their deaths when the grate collapsed, and 11 others were seriously injured.

Photos from the scene in Seongnam (which is near the South Korean capital, Seoul) show the deep concrete shaft with a broken grate. ?The band continuing to dance for a while in front of a crowd that appeared to be unaware of the accident,? the AP reports.

The victims were watching popular Korean girls? band 4Minute. Around 700 people had gathered for the concert. Officials said most of the dead and injured looked to be ?commuters who stopped to watch the concert after leaving work.?

Five of the dead were women in their 20s and 30s. Via the AP: "Dozens of people were shown standing next to the ventilation grate, gazing into the dark gaping hole where people had been standing to watch the performance. YTN said the ventilation grate was about 3 to 4 meters (10 to 12 feet) wide." You can see images from the scene in the tweets below:

Last edited by blighted star; 10-17-2014 at 05:16 PM.

Where they don't have maps.......such as..
    4 minutes of fame.
    Quote Originally Posted by blighted star
    I was about to be annoyed that this thread was still active, but I see now it's morphed into offers of sex for chilli confectionary, so carry on guys :)

k-pop IS mesmerizing.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

My friends always make fun of me because I refuse to stand on or walk over a grate, especially when my excuse is my extreme fear of heights... so there, friends, so there!

Where they don't have maps.......such as..
    Quote Originally Posted by CanaryDiam View Post
    My friends always make fun of me because I refuse to stand on or walk over a grate, especially when my excuse is my extreme fear of heights... so there, friends, so there!
    And seriously? If I see 25 other motherfuckers on a grate I sure as hell am not making it 26
    Quote Originally Posted by blighted star
    I was about to be annoyed that this thread was still active, but I see now it's morphed into offers of sex for chilli confectionary, so carry on guys :)

Thread Information