Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID)

Quote Originally Posted by Shins View Post
    I love that movie. But I pretty much love anything Cusack.

Good topic. I don't really know a lot about DID. To be totally honest, I've always wondered in the back of my mind if some actors had this condition, or something similar. Not all, obviously... but just for examples sake, the Heath Ledger types. Where they become so consumed in their role they become a different person... Not sure if that's the same thing, but I've always wondered if there was a mental factor to some actors talent. I mean, aside from drugs.
    illuminati mk-ultra mind control?
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Actors are skilled mimics.

A lot of the controversy over DID is that psychologists often suspect that sociopaths who are good at manipulation and imitating use it as an excuse to distance themselves from their actions.

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Actors are skilled mimics.

A lot of the controversy over DID is that psychologists often suspect that sociopaths who are good at manipulation and imitating use it as an excuse to distance themselves from their actions.
    I would bet that that's at least the case sometimes.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Shins View Post
    I would bet that that's at least the case sometimes.
    Well, the official stance on DID as far as I know is that it's the case a majority of the time.

There are very few cases of 'legitimate' DID. And there are fewer and fewer and psychology learns new things. Kind of like how everyone and their mom used to get sainted and now no one does.

Well, the official stance on DID as far as I know is that it's the case a majority of the time.

There are very few cases of 'legitimate' DID. And there are fewer and fewer and psychology learns new things. Kind of like how everyone and their mom used to get sainted and now no one does.
    Hah, that's really interesting. Makes perfect sense, to me anyways.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I am really interested in this topic and anyone's personal experience with DID. I work with victims of crime, and in the last ten years, I have only come across this three times. In all of those cases, they were severe cases of childhood abuse, both parental and otherwise, over prolonged periods of time.

by the way, can someone change the title? i don't think spell check recognized dissociative and i changed it to dis-associative at their suggestion. brain fart.

we talked about DID and dissociation in class today. the human brain is crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by jennafyre View Post
    Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I am really interested in this topic and anyone's personal experience with DID. I work with victims of crime, and in the last ten years, I have only come across this three times. In all of those cases, they were severe cases of childhood abuse, both parental and otherwise, over prolonged periods of time.
    i'm pretty sure extreme childhood abuse is almost always the catalyst.

my instructor has been a mental health nurse for 35 years and says that she only believes she has come across true DID once. she thought one of the things that was telling was the way the client's handwriting changed. although this can obviously be faked, she said in all the cases of DID she has seen (it was a popular dx in the 80s, but most cases weren't true DID) it was the only one she thought was true DID.
    Last edited by emmieslost; 04-15-2015 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Feetprints View Post
    He didn't do anything too crazy that I'm aware of so I doubt you saw him in a movie. He *was* in a new clip about the post office here in Milwaukee in the early 90's though And re: dissociative fugue, made me think of Benjamin Kyle http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjaman_Kyle
    They have figured out who he is apparently -

It's been 11 years of wondering, searching and struggling for a man who calls himself Benjamin Kyle. For the last 11 years, BK didn't know his real identity. But now, the man who calls Jacksonville home knows his true identity.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/man-wit...ntity/35286594

Now that you're here, Olivia, can you correct the title? Auto correct changed it to disassociative rather than dissociative.

I was in mental health for 7 yrs. I have never come across anyone suffering DID. I've always been fascinated by it, my understanding also is that it stems from extreme abuse in childhood. Also Identity is an awesome film !

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    Now that you're here, Olivia, can you correct the title? Auto correct changed it to disassociative rather than dissociative.
    Done. Such a weirdly spelled word.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    I never once thought he was a fake. I couldn't figure out what he had to gain from it. It wasn't like he was hiding. He went on shows and put his face out there. If it were a case of faking it to stay out of legal trouble or hide from his family, you would think he'd want to keep a low profile.

It didn't hurt that I have a cousin that suffered this same thing. Only in her case it only lasted a couple of weeks. She literally had no idea who she was or who her family was. She was definitely not faking.

God knows why this guy hasn't seen his family since 76 though. He may have initially tried to run from them, but once he suffered from this conditioned didn't remember that he didn't want to be found.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Anyone watch the show 'the United States of Tara'?

When she's in her right mind, she reminds me of my mom.

Eta: thanks Olivia!
    Last edited by animosity; 09-16-2015 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    Anyone watch the show 'the United States of Tara'?

When she's in her right mind, she reminds me of my mom.

Eta: thanks Olivia!
    I loved that show. Hard. Gone too soon

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I never once thought he was a fake. I couldn't figure out what he had to gain from it. It wasn't like he was hiding. He went on shows and put his face out there. If it were a case of faking it to stay out of legal trouble or hide from his family, you would think he'd want to keep a low profile.

It didn't hurt that I have a cousin that suffered this same thing. Only in her case it only lasted a couple of weeks. She literally had no idea who she was or who her family was. She was definitely not faking.

God knows why this guy hasn't seen his family since 76 though. He may have initially tried to run from them, but once he suffered from this conditioned didn't remember that he didn't want to be found.
    I lurk from time to time on WS, and the drama over there about BK is unreal. For a long time they were like his biggest cheerleader and supporter, then the head lady got in a spat with him I think and decided to tell everyone there that she thought he was faking. Now most of them think he is a big fraud.

For the record, I never really saw what he would gain from it. I think some of the WS people are commenting on that article, insinuating that he is going to make a bunch of money from a feature film or something. Honestly, if I had to live such an awful life with so many hardships over the last few years, it wouldn't matter what I would make on a film (and I can't see him making a boatload)...it's not worth it. I tend to believe he was the real deal.

Thread Information