Thread: Karen Williams, 16, Missing From Coober Pedy, South Australia Since 1990

Karen Williams, 16, Missing From Coober Pedy, South Australia Since 1990

Karen went missing in Coober Pedy S.A around the same time as the Bowraville kids in NSW. There's a big gap between her missing date (4 Aug 1990) & the date an official report was lodged (9 Oct 1990). Before anyone makes assumptions, it's probably a good idea to mention that in that time & place, any family, but especially an Aboriginal family reporting a missing teen is probably going to be told to "just wait a bit longer - they'll be back, so it's a waste of time doing all this paperwork.

That may not have happened in Karen's case, they might've had a really thorough country copper at the time & right now I can't confirm it either way (she could've had a history of running that left her family & police unaware she was gone too) but being sent away from a police station amidst comments of "blackfella's going walkabout" would not have been at all unusual at the time.

Earlier articles

http://www.australianmissingpersonsr...enWilliams.htm

Police get letter about long-missing teen Feb 4th 2010 - ABC * South Australian police say they have a fresh lead on a Coober Pedy teenager's disappearance 20 years ago. Major Crime investigators have received an anonymous letter they hope will throw more light on Karen Williams' disappearance. The 16-year-old was reported missing in August 1990 when she failed to return home from a disco at the Coober Pedy Hotel.

Detective Inspector Denise Gray says the letter giving new information on Miss William's disappearance will be investigated. "I'm hoping that the person that provided the letter will come forward and give us some more information," she said. "The details are quite scant and the more information we have relative to it would assist us and I would ask for anybody with any information come forward." She says police are working with the family. "The loss of a child is devastating for anyone and even though it's 20 years ago I don't imagine that pain would dull too much," she said. "But bits and pieces come in all the time that we're hoping one day we will provide a solution to the disappearance

KAREN Williams' father died without knowing what happened to his fun-loving daughter. Now her brother Kim Williams has told The Advertiser he is afraid the same thing will happen to the rest of their family, who have spent the past 22 years trying to put the pieces of her unsolved disappearance together. "He (father Kingsley Smith) used to wait all the time for answers," he said. "He never gave up; it was on his mind every day. I want to know something before mum goes too."

This weekend Major Crime detectives revealed a new lead in their investigation and say they have extracted a DNA sample from their key suspect. "Now there's a glimmer of hope and that's something," Mr Williams said. The fun and friendly teenager, then 16, had spent the evening of Friday August 3, 1990, at Coober Pedy's Opal Inn and Sergio's restaurant. She was last seen by friends early the following morning in a car with a man who said he would drop her home. Mr Williams and his mother Eva said they hoped a renewed investigation would help solve the mystery.

"Please come forward and open up, if you know something; why hide it? Now is the time," Ms Williams said. "I remember her going to a disco and the last thing I said to her was 'I'm going home do you want to come', but she said she was enjoying herself. "We had a very close relationship with her. We never argued; this was so uncharacteristic of her." The family is convinced there are people in the community withholding information about the crime. Mr Williams's message to those people is simple: "I'd say walk in my shoes, see how it feels," he said. "Walk in my mother's shoes after all these years."

Ms Williams agreed, pleading with the public to finally close the chapter on the unsolved crime that has tortured their family for more than two decades. "They should be brave enough to own up to the truth or say what they know and tell the police if they know anything," she said. Major Crime Detective Brevet Sergeant Paul Ward said police were seeking a red or orange Datsun 180B sedan as a vehicle "of interest". Anyone with information is asked to contact Crimestoppers on 1800 333 000.

August 2014

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...-1227028153339

COOBER PEDY teenager Karen Williams was bashed and buried “half alive”, because she stumbled upon three men carrying out an armed robbery, a court has heard.

The Supreme Court this month rejected an application by the accused killer, Nikola Novakovich, to have the case against him permanently stayed.

Novakovich, 42, is charged with the murder of Ms Williams at Coober Pedy on August 4, 1990.

The 14-year old’s body has never been recovered, despite an intensive search of mine shafts in and around the town last year

Forensic Scientists and police sift through soil at Coober Pedy in the hunt for Karen Williams’ body. The 14-year-old disappeared in 1990. Justice Tom Gray has refused an application by Novakovich for the case to be permanently stayed and also refused a judicial review of a magistrate’s decision not to allow the defence team to cross examine witnesses before the case was committed for trial.

Justice Gray found a magistrate overseeing the committal process had not erred by refusing to allow Novakovich’s lawyer to cross examine witnesses, including a man who told police he helped Novakovich to dispose of Ms Williams’ body. The court heard Aleksander Radosavljevic had given a number of statements to detectives, including that Ms Williams was killed because she had unwittingly witnessed a robbery.

During his reasons to commit Novakovich to stand trial, Magistrate Terry Forrest said Mr Radosavljevic had initially told police Ms Williams had seen the pair stealing a generator a day or so before the murder and had threatened to dob them in to police. “In a later interview Radosavljevic said that he had lied to police when saying he and (Novakovich) had stolen a generator,” Mr Forrest said. “He said that in fact he and (Novakovich) and another man, Dean Bulovic, had carried out an armed robbery on a Coober Pedy man known to Mr Radosavljevic as Zoran.

“He said that this was the crime that Ms Williams had observed; otherwise he maintained the recollection of having assisted (Novakovich) to conceal the body of Ms Williams.” Mr Radosavljevic has not been charged by police with any offences in connection with the alleged murder. Magistrate Forrest also refused Novakovich’s legal team permission to cross examine Mr Radosavljevic’s former partner, Gordana Susa, over alleged admissions he made to her in the 1990s. “In her statement she refers to a conversation she said she had with Radosavljevic in which he said that he had done a holdup and had murdered someone,” Mr Forrest said.

“He said ‘as we came out, a girl came out half drunk. We bashed her. We killed her. We buried her when she was still half alive but there was no way anyone would find her’.” Mr Forrest found that while there were inconsistencies between Mr Radosavljevic and Ms Susa’s statements — particularly her claim that he had admitted taking part in the killing — those issues could be the subject of any cross examination at trial. In his reasons to refuse the stay application, Justice Gray found Magistrate Forrest had ruled correctly and said that any issues could be addressed by the trial judge. Novakovich has pleaded not guilty to the murder and is listed to face trial in the Supreme Court in February.

September 2014 - new information re search area

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-2...ck-sea/5758056

Police now have aerial photographs of remote Coober Pedy in the South Australian outback, which have prompted them to plan another search for the body of a teenager who was last seen alive in 1990. A 42-year-old man, arrested late last year at Mount Gambier in SA, faces a charge of murdering 16-year-old Karen Williams, but her body has not been found. Detective Superintendent Des Bray from the Major Crime Investigation Branch said two witnesses had come forward with new information since a previous outback search was made.

Last year detectives used a ground-penetrating radar to check an area and then dug in several locations, but nothing significant was found. Detective Superintendent Bray said local outback police and council workers, along with Major Crime detectives and a State Emergency Service mines and rescue team, would dig up two more areas in coming days to check several old mine shafts. He said the aerial photos now given to police were taken about the time the teenager disappeared and had helped them redefine the search zone.

"We still believe the most likely place to find Karen is within a 150-metre radius of the junction of Maliotis [Boulevard] and Flat Hill Road at Coober Pedy, just on the outskirts of Coober Pedy," he said. "Importantly, information that we now have is that from the burial site on the night the offenders could see the Opal Inn Hotel in a direct line of sight."

PHOTO: Karen Williams was last seen alive in 1990.

(SA Police) Detective Superintendent Bray said the latest search would start on Monday. "We will be using a big grader to remove the topsoil to identify closed-in [mine] shafts," he said. "How long it will take will depend on how many shafts we find that we have to excavate, but typically it would take a day to do a couple of shafts if we don't experience any difficulties." Karen was last seen alive between 5:00-6:00am on Saturday August 4 in 1990 and her disappearance was declared a major crime in October 1990. A $200,000 reward has been offered to anyone who can lead police to the discovery of her remains.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-2...s-body/5765098

Police searching through broken bottles and metal in an unused mine shaft at Coober Pedy remain confident of finding the remains of a teenager last seen in 1990. Investigators are now into their third day searching for the remains of 16-year-old murder victim Karen Williams within a 150-metre zone on the outskirts of Coober Pedy in South Australia's far north. Police were searching "very confined" spaces in shafts that were about 20 metres deep. "They're very narrow and it's challenging work to actually get the rubbish out," Superintendent Des Bray said. "There's broken bottles, metal and all sorts of things, but once that can be cleared, we can move quite quickly."

There are an estimated 250,000 shaft entrances in the opal fields surrounding the remote town, some of which were unsuccessfully searched last year. Officers have returned to the site after two witnesses came forward with new information. Superintendent Bray said investigators would search another three mine shafts today. "We wouldn't come and put in all this effort if we didn't think that we were optimistic of finding her," he said. "We're still very confident that we're in the right area and it's just a matter of putting in the effort." A 42-year-old man was charged with Karen's murder last year. A $200,000 reward has been offered to anyone who could lead to the discovery of her remains.
    Current search

http://www.veooz.com/topic/karen_williams.html

Uggh. Poor kid. Those holes. I hope she was never conscious.
    Last edited by blighted star; 09-24-2014 at 10:15 PM.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    How sad. She was so beautiful
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

A little background on Coober Pedy

- think desert, opals & subteranean houses

Was she 14 or 16 when she went missing? One article says 14, one says 16...I'm confused.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Me too & I can't remember from when it happened, I'm veering toward 16 though. Most articles seem to have 16 & kind of feel like it was.

Again. Her poor family.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/25111636...ft-called-off/

A search for the body of a teenager last seen in 1990 has been called off at Coober Pedy in South Australia's far north.

Major Crime detectives, State Emergency Services (SES) personnel and local volunteers had been scouring mine shafts in the area for the remains of 16-year-old suspected murder victim Karen Williams.

SES digger Michael White said workers faced tough conditions searching inside the shafts.

"Without the blower running things get very hot because you have no air flow," he said.

"Things do get somewhat debilitating with the amount of dust that can build up."

Police called off the operation after failing to find any trace of her.

Police started the search confident of a result after two witnesses came forward with new information.

Superintendent Des Bray said he believed they were searching in the right area.

"We'll go back and analyse everything we got," he said.

"We'll try and unearth new leads, new information. It's made us more determined than ever to find Karen."

A 42-year-old man was charged with Karen's murder last year but a search in the outback opal mining town in 2013 also failed to find any remains.

A $200,000 reward has been offered to anyone who can lead to the discovery of her body.

Her accused killer, Nikola Novakovich in court August 2014

why has he got a tumbleweed growing out of the back of his neck?
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    why has he got a tumbleweed growing out of the back of his neck?
    Lol. To many it just looks like a shitty mullet, but there's a lot more to it - it's the aaaalld Orrrstraylyun shaaarpie haircut

They were kind of loosely associated with skins & mods & the haircut was adopted by some punks in the 80's & 90's too. Now it's mostly seen in bikers & guys from "working class suburbs" although you'll still get a few punks wearing their tails as dreads.

Searching Australian Sharpies will get you hundreds of pix that are far more interesting/cringeworthy than a bunch of markers.

http://www.google.com/search?sclient...26.4SFtXpP2B24

& for a slightly better understanding for anyone who can be bothered -
    http://subbaculture.co.uk/2013/12/02...-sharpie-cult/

On topic now -

This is the S.A Police fb update re the search

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...01740356569982

There's a comment saying that according to a recent aerial survey there are approximately 2.5 million abandoned & uncovered shafts. Even if it's really 250,000 it puts the search difficulties into perspective. I had no idea how full of holes the place is (going to check on numbers stated though)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-2...990jpg/6567774

Accused confessed to murder during rape of another victim

The man accused of murdering Coober Pedy teenager Karen Williams confessed to raping and strangling her while he raped another woman years later, the Supreme Court in Adelaide has heard.

Nikola Novakovich, 43, was charged with murder in 2013 and has gone on trial, accused of carrying out the crime that has baffled police and the outback town for more than 20 years.

The woman, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, has given evidence in Novakovich's trial.

She told the court Novakovich spoke of killing Ms Williams and dumping the 16-year-old's body in a mine shaft, while he raped her in 1997.

"He pulled my pants down and started to put his hands around my neck and he raped me," she said.

"He goes ... 'do you like this Karen?' ... 'take this Karen', or something like that.

"I was just looking at him strangely when he said that to me.

You saw [the story on the news and in the newspaper] and decided that if you reported it to the police you might get some of the reward.

"He goes 'if you tell anybody about what I've just told you I will kill you'."

But Novakovich's defence lawyer, Marie Shaw, said the woman was lying and only came forward to police after seeing media reports about the case in 2012.

Ms Shaw said the woman wanted a share in the $200,000 reward on offer for information on the case.

"You saw [the story on the news and in the newspaper] and decided that if you reported it to the police you might get some of the reward," Ms Shaw said.

The woman denied that was the case and said she would not be seeking any money following the trial.

The defence highlighted the woman's past drug addiction and problems with gambling, as well as an incident where she made a false report to police about another matter.

The trial is being heard by Justice Tim Stanley without a jury.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-2...t-told/6570400

Another man confessed to rape, murder of teen on his death bed, court hears

By court reporter James Hancock
    Posted about 2 hours ago

PHOTO: Corrina Stuart said another man, who is now dead, confessed to murdering and raping Karen Williams. (ABC News: James Hancock)

RELATED STORY: Karen Williams killed after witnessing robbery, Adelaide court told

MAP: Coober Pedy 5723
    A man who is now dead confessed to raping, strangling, burning and burying Coober Pedy teenager Karen Williams, the Supreme Court in Adelaide has heard.

Nikola Novakovich is on trial, accused of murdering the 16-year-old in 1990.

Her body has never been found despite extensive searches around the opal-mining outback town.

Witness Corrina Stuart told the court that another man had confessed to murdering Ms Williams.

Ms Stuart said Peter Woodforde, or "Woomie" as he was known, made the admission while she was caring for him just days before his death.

"He said he killed her ... he had a hole in his throat and when he talked it would come out like a whisper," she said.

"He said he knocked her down, he knocked her out and he was raping her and she woke up while he was raping her and he strangled her.

"She was trying to hit him in the face."

Ms Stuart said Woodforde told her he then buried Ms Williams' body under a tree.

Karen Williams was last seen alive in the late 1990s. Her body has never been found.

"He took her body in his car towards one tree on its own ... on the Oodnadatta track," she said.

"He said he did it by himself ... he burnt and buried her somewhere out that way on the Oodnadatta track."

She said Woodforde, a chronic alcoholic, was sober at the time of the confession.

Ms Stuart said the murder happened after Ms Williams was dropped off at a house in the "Woomera houses area" of Coober Pedy.

He said he did it by himself ... he burnt and buried her somewhere out that way on the Oodnadatta track.
    Corrina Stuart, trial witness.

But Novakovich's defence lawyer, Marie Shaw, challenged Ms Stuart's evidence.

Ms Shaw said only last week the witness told police Woodforde did not commit the crime alone.

"You told him [the police officer] that there was six involved?" Ms Shaw said, to which Ms Stuart agreed.

"And that a number of men raped her? Ms Shaw said.

"Yes," the witness replied.

"And Peter had told you that only three had been involved in burying her?" Ms Shaw asked and the witness again said "yes".

The prosecution's key witness, Aleksander Radosavljevic, is also giving evidence today.

The court previously heard Mr Novakovich told Mr Radosavljevic that he killed Ms Williams because she had witnessed a robbery.
    Last edited by blighted star; 06-24-2015 at 12:10 AM.

Oh my heart breaks seeing the photo of her family. Has there been anymore developments? I hope her family can have some more answers and closure soon

Thread Information