Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kim Hunt (41) and her three children were shot to death - their husband/father left a suicide note and his body was found in a dam

Kim Hunt (41) and her three children were shot to death - their husband/father left a suicide note and his body was found in a dam

So sad.

POLICE are desperate to speak to 44-year-old grain farmer Geoffrey Hunt after his wife and three children were shot dead on a farm in Lockhart in rural NSW.

Police found the bodies of Mr Hunt?s wife Kim Hunt, 41, and their son Fletcher, 10, and daughters Mia (eight) and Phoebe (six) Tuesday afternoon on their Boree Creek Rd farm, 60km west of Wagga Wagga.

The property, called Watch Hill, is one of a number of large grain farms in the district.

Lockhart Deputy Mayor Rodger Schirmer said Mr Hunt was a ?good, strong family-minded person?.

?Geoff is a good community member and a good farmer,? Mr Schirmer said.

?Geoff?s family have farmed in the district for at least three generations.?

Police said the children were found inside the house while Mrs Hunt was found on a path at the home?s rear.

Forensic officers arrived at the Boree Creek Rd property shortly after 7.30pm and *remained at the scene with homicide detectives overnight.
    Strike Force Tullaroan has been formed to investigate the deaths.

Mr Schirmer said Mr Hunt had a solid group of friends and was a keen water skier and AFL fan.

His parents still live in the district and he has two brothers.

?The family is a normal, solid family in the district,? Mr Schirmer said.

?This event will be devastating for the 900 people in the town because everybody knows everybody and cares about everybody else.

?Something like this has just come out of the blue and is an incredible tragedy.?

The family?s three children all attended St Joseph?s School, Lockhart.

Local media reported that a couple arrived at the home yesterday afternoon and were visibly distressed.

Last night police were searching for the children?s Mr Hunt, who was missing from the house.

Two crime scenes have been established at the property. One is located at the homestead; the other is near a dam where police searching the property found an abandoned ute.

Police divers will search the dam and other waterways today.

?While a post-mortem (examination) will be conducted to formally *establish the cause of their deaths, they are believed to have all suffered gunshot wounds,? A police spokesman said.

?Police have grave concerns for a man, aged in his 40s, who remains unaccounted for. A search of the property is still being conducted.?

State Emergency Service volunteers also remained overnight to assist with lighting at the rural property while police continued searching.

Lockhart Mayor Peter Yates said the grain farming family had lived in the district a long time and the town was at a loss over the tragedy.

?It?s been devastating,? he said. ?No one can understand it.

?It?s mind-boggling that these young lives could be cut so short. Everyone wants to know why,? he said.

Mr Yates said Lockhart had only three police officers and it would have been horrific for them, along with other emergency service workers, to have attended the farmhouse where the four victims were found.

He said it had not been easy for farmers in recent years.

?We had the floods in 2010 and 2012 and in the last few years we have had devastating frost associated with the dry at crucial growing times,? Mr Yates said.

Mr Yates, who lives 50km from Lockhart in Yerong, said he would travel to the shell-shocked town of 1300 residents today.

http://www.news.com.au/national/moth...-1227053312573

Photo of the property last night

Daily Mail article talks about the suicide note -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rural-NSW.html

Police divers have recovered a body from a dam after a woman and her three children were shot dead on their Riverina farm near Wagga Wagga.
    Sheep and grain farmer Geoff Hunt has been missing ever since the bodies of his wife Kim, 41, and his children Fletcher, 10, Mia, eight and Phoebe were found dead on their "Watch Hill" property on Tuesday afternoon.
    Divers entered a muddy dam about 1.45pm on Wednesday and recovered a body about half an hour later.
    A thick set of tyre marks have cut a clear track across the wheat crop and lead directly to the dam where a white ute was found abandoned yesterday.
    Police confirmed they found a suicide note on the property but were still looking for the gun that killed the Hunt family.
    About a dozen police continue to search through a 10 hectare wheat paddock in front of the family's homestead The Hunt's property is brimming with flowering yellow canola and wheat situated on Boree Creek Road.
    Bright coloured clothes remain pegged to a Hills Hoist which stands next to an empty swing and slippery slide.
    The property is a child's wonderland that has a pony area, dirt bike track and beautifully trimmed bush mazes.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/body-pulle...#ixzz3CswRXTC7

The abandoned ute

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    Daily Mail article talks about the suicide note -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rural-NSW.html

wow! this is a cheerios commercial. picture perfect. geez. i wonder what the deal was.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Damn. Might be distant relatives. I've just been doing my Hunt family history all day. They're all sheep & grain farmers across central west & north west NSW too.

& that first photo would be amazing under any circs but when you know the back story, wow.

This might get some attention on our shockingly high rural suicide rate, but what a horrible way to do it.
    Makes me wonder if this is another tragedy that our big banks had a hand in? It wouldn't surprise me.

This has been an incredibly bad month for NSW, there's so many horrible stories. Just about everything on MDS from Australia in the last few weeks is all our state. It's weird.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/s...ths-on-a-farm/

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald

Police believe unbearable strain and hardship brewed within quiet grain farmer Geoff Hunt, following a car crash that left his wife Kim disabled.

This week it is believed he killed Kim, 41, and their three children before turning a gun on himself at the family's Riverina property near Wagga Wagga.

Detectives working on the case said there had been considerable pressure and tension following the crash, in which Kim Hunt twice flipped her car two kilometres from her Lockhart home in 2012.

After speaking with close friends police believe "it was more than likely" the ongoing strain made the 44-year-old snap.

Mrs Hunt's sister Jenny Geppert said the family tragedy had left "an indescribable numbness and all-encompassing, heart-wrenching sadness".

"My most beautiful, spirited sister, Kim, whom I idolised and adored; my dear brother-in-law Geoff, who was incredibly generous and kind-hearted; my beautiful nephew and nieces Fletcher, Mia and Phoebe, who I cherished and thought of as my own children," she said on Thursday.

Friends say the family were not under financial pressure and were about to build a dream new homestead on their Watch Hill property, surrounded by lush wheat and canola fields.

The Hunt family farms most of the land between Lockhart and Boree Creek, and are highly respected within their close-knit farming community.

Mrs Hunt was an intensive care nurse but after the accident, which nearly killed her, she had to learn to walk and talk again.

Her speech was still slurred and the family needed in-house carers to help the family look after children Fletcher, 10, Mia, 8, and Phoebe, 6.

Close family friend Paul Routley said he will never be able to make sense of what has happened but wished Mr Hunt had asked for help.

"The stress that's been put on them from the accident was just immense, absolutely immense," he said.

He said Mr Hunt had been a "rock" following his wife's accident, in which his daughter Phoebe escaped with minor injuries.

"He was super, super patient. He would help her get out of the car, he would hold her arm. You couldn't get a better bloke. The most gentle, considerate bloke ... a pillar of society."

He said Kim has just got her driver's licence back and was working in an educational role at Lockhart hospital. However, her injuries prevented her from doing what she loved most – nursing.

"She was an absolute workaholic. She was very, very dedicated, soft, bubbly and caring."

The 41-year-old had once said nursing was her "identity" and was frustrated she could no longer work in the wards.

Mrs Hunt's sister wrote a heartfelt statement on behalf of her family on Thursday. "All are loved dearly. The void that is left in our lives is immeasurable. They are profoundly missed."

Mrs Geppert, who married Mark Geppert after falling in love on the television series*Farmer Wants a Wife, said she had overwhelming support from family and friends.

"I cannot express enough appreciation for this kindness. Thank you."

Homicide police said they were treating the deaths as a murder-suicide but were preparing a brief for the Coroner.

Relatives were saying he was under a lot of stress since his wife's accident, but according to the article, she was on the mend, even driving and working again. Maybe not doing what she loved, but she was doing something. Seems to be the stressful period would be over or at least less, makes no sense to me using stress as a possible contributing factor to him killing his family.

Besides, people who take out their whole family, especially kids, are all sorts if fuked up and should have to live many years suffering. I will never understand why they kill everyone, just kill yourself and leave everyone else alone.

Quote Originally Posted by dtfpaf798 View Post
    I will never understand why they kill everyone, just kill yourself and leave everyone else alone.
    Agreed. Living with losing a parent, though awful, is at least still living.
    Maybe the people who are saying they weren't under financial stress hadn't seen the medical bills from the hospital?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    SMH. White people! Always trying to help and shit.

I wrote this big long post about rural suicide but then I read it through & thought about what it takes to aim a rifle at your own child - let alone fire it & nope. I sounded like I was defending it.

Even if they were asleep for the first shot, 2 kids had to be awake for theirs - & she was outside. So 3 out of 4 had to be awake & afraid.

That goes beyond depression, it goes beyond suicide. It's more entitlement & control than it is a bleak outlook on the future.

The property looks like it's owned by very well-off people. Your average bush sheep or cattle property looks like this give or take a bit of greenery-

& it got me wondering, so I googled a bit more & discovered he doesn't sound at all like a struggling, battered, beaten down farmer. He sounds a like rich, well-educated, well-supported squattocracy kid.

He had teams of people supporting him so that he didn't have to cope with the extra work & his wife's needs. Rural suicide is a huge problem. Most blokes who do this go bush, or leave a note directing the local copper to an isolated paddock so their family doesn't have to deal with horror as well as grief. This was something very different. It makes me wonder if it started in anger, continued in panic, then ended in suicide.

As a local said, they seemed like a happy family, but no-one ever knows what really happens behind closed doors

http://www.news.com.au/national/a-ha...-1227056811752

Mr Hunt was a third-generation farmer and owned as many as six wheat, grain and canola farms with his family in the Wagga Wagga region. They are considered one of the wealthiest, most-successful farming families in the area.

And while the area had struggled with drought over the past eight years and, more recently frost, crops on Mr Hunt?s properties were in good shape. Locals said he had been in good spirits in the days leading up to the deaths and was seen in town buying hardware supplies just a day earlier. ?Something had to trigger it, we all agree on that. But what? When people are apparently happy and well-adjusted and things are going along well and there?s no financial crisis??

Mia Hunt

Fletcher Hunt

Phoebe Hunt
    Mr Schirmer said. ?While we would like another rain, it?s certainly by no means dire. We?re certainly not in drought. ?They?re the type of people that you would least expect something like this to happen. ?They?re a big well-known family. It?s not as if they?re the people next door that always leave their yards filthy and tinnies around and music up loud and leave car bodies in the backyard. They?re not those people. ?They are the normal, apparently happy family, that the kids play sport, the kids go to St Joseph?s catholic school.? Detectives investigating the case will look into all aspects of the family?s life to try and shed light on why a seemingly stable, loving father could ?snap.
    http://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-...-1227057541426

A police spokesperson said the post mortem examinations on the five Hunt family members would be completed next week. After police finalise the investigation, they will hand their report over to NSW Deputy State Coroner Sharon Freund. Insp Cloake said he had asked his licensing officer to review gun laws as part of the investigation. ?Since Port Arthur, governance over firearms has been pretty tough but in rural areas it?s tricky because firearms are essential to country people when it comes to maintaining livestock and managing vermin so we have to be careful that any recommendations that come out of the inquest don?t affect people?s livelihoods
    Looks like we might even get more firearm restrictions out of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Feetprints View Post
    Agreed. Living with losing a parent, though awful, is at least still living.
    Maybe the people who are saying they weren't under financial stress hadn't seen the medical bills from the hospital?
    Medical care is basically free here. You can pay to have health insurance which gets you private hospital access, your choice of doctor, elective surgeries and no waiting lists. But the public system is good, especially for trauma, and even if they didn't have insurance, they probably wouldn't have been much out of pocket. All of my friends who have had their babies in the public system with no insurance haven't been a cent out of pocket.

Even their home help (the people who found the bodies) probably would have been subsidised to some degree by the health system/govt.

Eta - I just googled in case I was making this all up as ive always had insurance. Apparently 100% of in hospital costs are covered by Medicare/the govt.

http://www.privatehealth.gov.au/heal...d/medicare.htm

I agree with this "It makes me wonder if it started in anger, continued in panic, then ended in suicide." Blighted Star

I want to know what the note said.

The funeral is today - this is a really nice (long) article with a tribute to each of the Hunt family from their extended family

http://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/st...family/?cs=147

the name kim hunt makes me think that it's a prank call name somehow. every single time i see the thread posted.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

The funeral is today - this is a really nice (long) article with a tribute to each of the Hunt family from their extended family

http://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/st...family/?cs=147
    I had to stop myself form reading this article when it got to the Dad. Some of the comments made me want to vomit, do these people realize that this man killed his whole family??? Those beautiful babies??? Ok, maybe once upon a time he was a nice guy, but they were laying it on pretty thick. Honestly, I would have never included him, but that's just me. Here is just a small portion of what they said:

"Your family was your world: the best father, husband and friend any of us knew. You were admired for your thoughtfulness, lovingness, patience, kindness and you will always be our hero."

Hero??? How many hero's kill their whole families? I'm not even reading the rest about him! And I want to know what the suicide note said too!

The blonde is Kim's sister, Jenny -

There's a ton of photos here - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...n-himself.html

The pics of Jenny hugging the coffins broke my heart

Jenny says she doesn't harbor any resentment towards her BIL, but if I were her I would be beyond pissed at him. I understand that she had a head injury, but she couldn't have been that bad off if she could drive.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    The pics of Jenny hugging the coffins broke my heart

Jenny says she doesn't harbor any resentment towards her BIL, but if I were her I would be beyond pissed at him. I understand that she had a head injury, but she couldn't have been that bad off if she could drive.
    Exactly. I assume she was the one who had to make the funeral arrangements. I dunno if I could have done it, chosen a floral arrangement for his coffin.

The only thing I can think of is maybe doubt as to whether he had some kind of mental illness that he'd been struggling with. You start to wonder whether this person was hiding pain, and then you don't want to condemn them forever even though they've also caused so much pain. I just don't get it.

RIP pretty, sweet family.
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    Just as I suspected. A ring of elderly pedophiles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Love View Post
    Fucking piece of shit, fucking scum, internet ass holes. fucking ingrate no life having fat ass. you have no fucking clue at whats going on fuck tard shit for brains.

I had to stop myself form reading this article when it got to the Dad. Some of the comments made me want to vomit, do these people realize that this man killed his whole family??? Those beautiful babies??? Ok, maybe once upon a time he was a nice guy, but they were laying it on pretty thick. Honestly, I would have never included him, but that's just me. Here is just a small portion of what they said:

"Your family was your world: the best father, husband and friend any of us knew. You were admired for your thoughtfulness, lovingness, patience, kindness and you will always be our hero."

Hero??? How many hero's kill their whole families? I'm not even reading the rest about him! And I want to know what the suicide note said too!
    Rich country people attitudes. Everyone's carefully & politely not mentioning the unmentionable & making sure they don't offend his surviving family in the area.

In a generation or two any descendents who weren't there at the time will have to dig through news archives to find out why everyone reacts so strangely when they ask how a whole branch of the family died at once.

I agree with this. They laid it on a bit thick for his remembrance. The "hero" comment got me too. And this:
    There was only one man as extraordinary as you.
    Dafuq is this referring to?? Jesus?? There are plenty of men far more extraordinary than him, like, ones that don't kill their wife and children.

Replacing original with this. It was published before they knew where her dad was. This is the same dam/tank he was found in, which makes it more haunting in hindsight I guess

http://i.stuff.co.nz/world/australia...family-tragedy

Haunting photo after Hunt family tragedy | Last updated 17:55 10/09/2014 MICHAEL KOZIOL This should be the saddest picture you will see today - at the very least, the most haunting. Mia Hunt was seven years old when she took this photograph of ducks resting on the dam of her family's property near Lockhart, west of Wagga Wagga, in February last year.

Eighteen months later, she is dead. So is her mother Kim, 41, her 10-year-old brother Fletcher and her younger sister Phoebe, 6. All were shot dead on the property, where their bodies were discovered on Tuesday afternoon. The three children were found inside the house while Mrs Hunt's body was found on the footpath behind their homestead, police said.

Mia's father, Geoff, 44, is missing. Police divers have recovered a body from a dam where an abandoned white ute was found on Tuesday afternoon. Lynette Hunt, Mia's grandmother, sent the picture to rural publication The Land. She told the newspaper there hadn't been such a congregation of ducks since the 1960s. "We've never seen quite that number, nor that breed," she said. She thought the flurry of ducks had arrived on the property after the emptying of the nearby Boree Creek silo. There were hundreds more outside the shot, she said.

In the aftermath of an unthinkable tragedy, it's hard not to think of the young girl behind the lens, watching on in awe. It was the children's absence at St Joseph's Primary School on Tuesday that raised the alarm with locals.* The ducks are gone now.* In JD Salinger's Catcher in the Rye, young Holden would walk down to Central Park to watch the ducks swimming peacefully and gracefully in the lagoon. His curiosity about where they went in winter was thought to demonstrate his youth and innocence. Mia Hunt, it appears, was curious too.
    Last edited by blighted star; 09-23-2014 at 07:10 AM. Reason: guilt

I don't know. I kinda get it. Let's just say he was an amazing dad and father right up to the minute they died. Brain injuries can put a ton of stress on family members - my mother had brain surgery last year and is fine, but definitely hasn't been the same since. I can't imagine how hard it would have been for him. I am not saying that excuses what he did, but maybe he just thought he was putting everyone out of their misery. He took them all and (hopefully) none of them suffered. Is that not almost kinder than leaving one or some of them behind?

I am not making sense really, but I can see why they did the memorial to him.

I don't know. I kinda get it. Let's just say he was an amazing dad and father right up to the minute they died. Brain injuries can put a ton of stress on family members - my mother had brain surgery last year and is fine, but definitely hasn't been the same since. I can't imagine how hard it would have been for him. I am not saying that excuses what he did, but maybe he just thought he was putting everyone out of their misery. He took them all and (hopefully) none of them suffered. Is that not almost kinder than leaving one or some of them behind?

I am not making sense really, but I can see why they did the memorial to him.
    I still don't think he should have kills the kids. I'm sure the aunt would have taken care of them.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    I still don't think he should have kills the kids. I'm sure the aunt would have taken care of them.
    I get he may have been ill, but leave the kids alone. I almost get killing himself and on some level even his wife, but those kids were innocent and deserved the chance to grow up.

Thread Information