Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Kim Hunt (41) and her three children were shot to death - their husband/father left a suicide note and his body was found in a dam

Quote Originally Posted by debk589 View Post
    I agree with this. They laid it on a bit thick for his remembrance. The "hero" comment got me too. And this: Dafuq is this referring to?? Jesus?? There are plenty of men far more extraordinary than him, like, ones that don't kill their wife and children.

My first thought was God and I was thinking these people are nuts. I try to understand the whole being polite thing but I think this took it too far. They are better people than me, I tell it like it is and if it were my family, his remembrance would have reflected my true feelings, not what I think people want to hear! This attitude doesn't work well for me living in the south, seems like most people here have a phony attitude and just want to please everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by dtfpaf798 View Post
    I get he may have been ill, but leave the kids alone. I almost get killing himself and on some level even his wife, but those kids were innocent and deserved the chance to grow up.
    Yes, this. Memorialize him, fine. But do not call him a damn hero and compare him to Jesus for fuck's sake.

So apparently there was speculation that the wife may have killed them all, and not the husband. But it turns out he did:

Geoff Hunt killed his three children and wife with a shotgun before turning it on himself on their quiet NSW farm in a tragic murder-suicide last September, a coroner's inquest will confirm.
    Hunt, 44, drove down to the dam and took his own life after shooting Kim, 41, on the entertainment deck at the back of their family home, Watch Hill, near Lockhart - 80km south of Wagga Wagga.
    The couple's three children - Fletcher, 10, Mia, 8, and Phoebe, 6 - were shot inside the house. The shootings likely occurred in the evening of Monday, September 8.
    An insider familiar with the case has told Daily Mail Australia that the facts presented to the coroner will confirm a predicted finding that Mr Hunt, for reasons which are currently being examined, carried out the shootings.
    Following the memorial held for the Hunt family two weeks after the deaths, there has been a persistent rumour among Lockhart's 1000 residents and surrounding communities about whether Mrs Hunt could possibly have carried out the shootings due to the stress and trauma of her recovery from a serious brain injury after a car accident in 2012.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3OfDVouAS
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I think it was probs all the financial pressure, our health sysystem is 100% awesome , but farmers do it tough. Our country is forever drought effected and mental health services in the rural areas more or less don't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by debk589 View Post
    Yes, this. Memorialize him, fine. But do not call him a damn hero and compare him to Jesus for fuck's sake.
    Especially considering the fact that he shot them with a f'ing shotgun. Not a .22 or something small like that.....no, a shotgun. There probably wasn't much left to those poor babies bodies after a shotgun bullet went through them.

Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    Especially considering the fact that he shot them with a f'ing shotgun. Not a .22 or something small like that.....no, a shotgun. There probably wasn't much left to those poor babies bodies after a shotgun bullet went through them.
    I would think that had more to do with the type of gun he owned - he would have had a shotgun to deal with dying horses, cows etc. I doubt he would have had anything smaller - we don't have much of a gun culture here. But yes, it was a very strong weapon choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    I would think that had more to do with the type of gun he owned - he would have had a shotgun to deal with dying horses, cows etc. I doubt he would have had anything smaller - we don't have much of a gun culture here. But yes, it was a very strong weapon choice.
    Agreed the choice of gun was purely because he had it already for farming purposes.

Hmmm

An inquest into the brutal Lockhart killings has revealed Geoff Hunt blamed himself for killing wife and young children in a suicide note.
    It is believed Hunt murdered his wife, Kim, and their three children - Fletcher, 10, Mia, 8, and Phoebe, 6 - with a shotgun before turning the weapon on himself in September 2014.
    NSW State Coroner Michael Barnes - who is presiding over the four-day hearing in Wagga Wagga, near the NSW-Victorian border - was told a note believed to have been left by Hunt read: 'I am sorry, it's all my fault, totally mine.'
    The hearing was also told Ms Hunt's body was discovered outside the family home in a garden with a jacket over her head, and that police removed two guns from the property in 2013, according to Seven News.
    It is believed Hunt carried out the shooting with a shotgun, before turning the weapon on himself.
    The 44-year-old's body was discovered in a dam on the family's property in Lockhart, which has a population of about 900.
    The inquest begins the day after Ms Hunt's sister released a statement on Monday.
    Jenny Geppert thanked locals for their support during a ''traumatic year'.
    'The love and care from our friends and extended family will also be forever remembered,' Ms Geppert said, according to The Daily Telegraph.
    'This week will be difficult for our families, another arduous formality to endure.
    'We hope that this tragedy may remind all of what really matters in this world and to act with humility and empathy towards others at all times. Thank you in advance.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3nkaiBbDs

I didn't realise the inquest was on.

After reading these articles all I can say is oh god, these poor kids. I kept hoping they were asleep, but NO-ONE sleeps through the sound of a shotgun blast inside their house. They were farm kids, so they'd all recognise the sound of reloading too

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/hunt-famil...06-gk25xi.html

The note on the farmhouse dining table said: "I'm sorry, it's all my fault, totally mine".

Outside, Kim Hunt, 41, lay dead on the garden path. Inside, her three children, Fletcher, 10, Mia, 8, and Phoebe, 6, lay dead in*beds in separate rooms.*In a nearby dam, police found the body of Geoff Hunt, 44, along with a shotgun.

Mr Hunt most likely killed his family and then himself*in September last year, the Wagga Wagga Local Court heard on Tuesday.

"Each of these five deaths left a terrible gap in the lives of their family and friends," counsel assisting the coronial inquest, Peggy Dwyer, said.*

"They are also confounded as to how this would happen to a loving, gifted family who had tried so hard to support each other in the lead up to this tragedy."

The killings took place on the family's "Watch Hill" property near Lockhart, in south-west NSW on September*8 or 9.*Dr Dwyer said witnesses reported seeing Mr Hunt in different moods the day before the bodies were found. His sister-in-law said he appeared "exceptionally happy". But his mother said to his father:*"Geoffrey*had no smiles today".

The court heard a brain injury Mrs Hunt sustained in a 2012 car accident had put significant strain on the family.*Witnesses are expected to describe*Mrs Hunt as being*angry*and unable to filter her thoughts after the accident.

"The person who may have*born*the brunt of the change in personality*was her husband*Geoff," Dr Dwyer said. "A number of witnesses saw Kim verbally abuse him*over sometimes minor matters."

Several times Mrs Hunt told people she would have been better off dying in the accident. The couple attended counselling, on their own and together. Mrs Hunt's psychiatrist, Dr Patricia Jungfer,*said her patient*also may have had a*bipolar illness. But Dr Jungfer said Mrs Hunt had improved so much she had been*discharged from psychiatric care. In*their last session, Mrs Hunt reported*her home life was "great".

Police had previously confiscated two guns Mr Hunt kept at the property after Mrs Hunt reported suicidal feelings but returned them*on the condition her access was barred.*One of these guns, a W Cashmore double-barrelled shotgun, was the gun used to kill her.

It was reloaded between each killing,*ballistics expert*Senior*Constable Alan Dusting told the inquest. He estimated Mrs Hunt and her children were shot at extremely close range.*In each case, the gun's muzzle was either touching the victim or fewer than 3cm away.

Detective Sergeant Darren Gunn, the officer in charge of the investigation, said each person had died of a single gunshot wound to the head and*Mr Hunt appeared to have taken his own life.*

Mrs Hunt's body was found covered with a jacket. The children were wearing the same clothes they had been seen in the night before.

As for the note on the dining table,*NSW Police handwriting analyst Melanie Holt*said she was "very confident" Mr Hunt had written it. Ms Holt arrived at the conclusion partly by studying cards Mr Hunt had written to his wife: one for Valentine's Day, one for her birthday*and one for their anniversary. One was signed, "Love Geoff," another*"Your loving husband

Really long article so I won't post it all

The last person to see the Hunt family alive before they were all shot dead says the mood was so tense in their final hours 'you could cut the air with a knife?, a NSW inquest has heard.
    A four-day inquest is examining the deaths of NSW farming couple Kim and Geoff Hunt and their three children - Fletcher, 10, Mia, eight, and Phoebe, six - in September last year.
    The inquest has heard the evidence suggested Mr Hunt had gunned his wife down in the driveway of their Watch Hill property before walking inside the house and shooting each of his children dead as they lay in bed.
    The last person to see them alive, disability support carer Lorraine Bourke, said Mr Hunt seemed very depressed on his last night - not answering questions, staring at the ground and devoid of emotion in his face.
    Mrs Hunt suffered from a brain injury in a near-fatal car crash two years beforehand, which led to significant personality changes. Ms Bourke says the mother-of-three was angry and upset in her final hours.
    She says the mother was on anti-depressants and sometimes missed her medication, which made her lash out at her children.
    Mrs Hunt would become frustrated easily and would snap at her young children and would swear and rant at her loved ones, apparently without realising.
    'Geoff tried to do all the things she asked him to do.'
    'Some days she had missed taking her tablets and you could see her mood change,' she said. 'She would get cranky and yell at them. (Geoff would) just tell her it was enough,' said Ms Bourke.
    'She would get cranky at Geoff. The best way to explain it is it was like she got on a merry-go-round, and just kept going and going and didn't know how to get off it, to drop it,' Ms Bourke told a court in Wagga Wagga.
    On the final evening they spent together, Ms Bourke said Mrs Hunt was angry and upset.
    Mr Hunt had umpired a local kids football match over the weekend and had been accused of cheating.
    The inquest has heard 10-year-old Fletcher was teased about it on his final day at school, where schoolmates taunted him with chants of 'Fletcher Hunt the c***' and 'Geoff Hunt the c***'.
    'She was talking about Geoff playing golf on the Saturday, and what had happened at the football on the Sunday, and just the financial things,' Ms Bourke said.
    When Mrs Hunt told her husband to 'piss off' and go in to town, she said, Mr Hunt didn't respond at all.
    He was so quiet that evening that Ms Bourke wondered aloud whether he was depressed.
    'I was genuinely concerned,' she said.
    She broke down in tears as she described how Mr Hunt had waved her goodbye that night: 'He said, goodbye Lainie. Thanks. I'll see you tomorrow.'
    But he never did.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3nqjwxzvJ

Oh God. The kid's last day at school was fucking awful too. This just gets worse & worse

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    Oh God. The kid's last day at school was fucking awful too. This just gets worse & worse
    And the kids that picked on him (if they are decent kids) probably feel like monsters too. It goes on and on.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    And the kids that picked on him (if they are decent kids) probably feel like monsters too. It goes on and on.

Yep, & all the adults at the game that day too. I thought something seemed different in the town reaction afterward but I couldn't put my finger on it, it was really subtle - but I guess it was unpoken guilt & fear.

& that doesn't mean AT ALL that I'm blaming locals for what happened because I'm not, only ONE person chose to deal with all this by picking up a shotgun, but it is a lesson in ripple effect.

The recommendations the coroner makes here are going to be incredibly difficult to decide. This family had every form of support & intervention currently available. Even if that worker had gone immediately to the local sergeant, said "I think Geoff's dangerously depressed, we need to remove his guns for a while" & the sergeant had acted immediately & removed them that night, what's to say he wouldn't have used another equally lethal method after police left?

Anti-depressants can take weeks or even months to work so the only thing that could've saved this family on that particular day was physically seperating Geoff from Kim & the kids that night - but how? You can't just remove someone from their home & family because in your opinion they sound/appear depressed.

There are a lot of people beating themselves up over this because in hindsight all the signs of impending tragedy were there but if DOCs/Police were to intervene & remove EVERY person who ticks the boxes for potential risk, we'd destroy thousands more people & families than we save.

& I'm absolutely not saying we should do nothing, obviously early intervention is key to stopping these tragedies, it's what form that intervention should take & when it should involve removal of weapons &/or people that it becomes problematic.

Like I said, the recommendations the coroner makes at this inquest are probably going to be the most difficult of his career.

The night Geoff Hunt killed his family before taking his own life his wife Kim had raged at him about finances, claiming one of her husband's brothers was stealing from the family trust.

An inquest into the deaths of Lockhart farmer Geoff, nurse Kim and their children Fletcher, 10, Mia, 8, and Phoebe, 6, enters its third day on Thursday.

The evidence suggests Mr Hunt gunned his wife down in the driveway of their property in the NSW Riverina before walking inside his house and shooting each of his children dead as they lay in their bed.

The last person to see them alive, carer Lorraine Bourke, has detailed the tense final night in their home, with Mrs Hunt berating her husband for being lazy as he watched Home and Away with his children after giving them dinner and making their school lunches.

Mrs Hunt became depressed and often flew into a rage after suffering a brain injury in a near-fatal car crash in 2012 and the inquest heard that Mr Hunt also seemed very depressed and quiet on September 8, 2014 - the last night he was seen alive.

The inquest also heard that Mr Hunt had confided in a friend that his worst fear was being alone. Just weeks before she died, Mrs Hunt told a relative she was not in love with or attracted to her husband.
    Ms Bourke told the inquest Mrs Hunt demanded her husband do something about the family finances - despite the inquest finding the farm was profitable, expecting a good yield and there was no debt or financial stressors.

'Kim would often demand that he do something about the money issues. The topic of money stressed Kim out,' Ms Bourke told the inquest, according to The Daily Telegraph.

Mrs Hunt ranted that one of Mr Hunt's brothers and his wife had stolen money from the family trust to build a new house and buys cars and boats.

Geoff Hunt ran the canola farm with his brother Allen and father.

On their final evening, Mrs Hunt also became angry that the family paid Mr Hunt's parents $1 million a year, the inquest heard.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3nvnzXwdc

I take back everything I said about support services & the Coroner's findings. I stupidly assumed the Riverina must have amazingly good support services because the articles kept mentioning home visits etc & it made it sound like it was a really, really regular thing.

This situation was so fucked AND TOTALLY AVOIDABLE & I'm feeling equally bad for the dad now. Mum had what little, limited support services there were - he got nothing, not even counselling, even though the disability workers & every other service she received were fully aware he was managing the farm, kids, housework & copping the brunt of her outbursts & abusive behaviour.

This is fucking horrible.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-children.html

<<snipped>>

Under questioning on Thursday, Dr Yule agreed that Mr Hunt's behaviour in the last hours he was seen alive - making lunches for his children to take to school the following day, setting up plans for a tennis game with a friend later in the week - suggested he probably killed his family on impulse.*

But she believed Mr Hunt's primary motivation was to take his own life, 'with the homicides occurring in his mind as a secondary necessity'.*

Dr Yule said family destroyers may be motivated by 'pseudo-altruistic intent' when they kill their loved ones, 'in that they feel they were sparing them from further pain'.*

'I believe it occurred in the context of a distorted rationale in his own mind. I believe that he presented a face of being able to cope,' Dr Yule said.*

'Something at that particular time has caused him to lose whatever component of hope he had left that he could fix things ... that it would never get better, and he couldn't fix it.'*

Relatives of Riverina couple Geoff and Kim Hunt, whose bodies were found along with those of their children at the family's Lockhart property, have also spoken of their pain and regret that they never saw the tragedy coming.

Mr Hunt's brother and sister-in-law, Allen and Renae Hunt said they would 'never be rid of the gut-wrenching heartache' that enveloped them when they learned that Geoff, Kim, 10-year-old Fletcher, eight-year-old Mia, and the baby of the family, six-year-old Phoebe, were dead.

A statement from the couple, who ran the Lockhart farm with Geoff, says they struggle with their regret, wishing they had done more to help Geoff at his time of need

We could only imagine the depths of despair, pain and isolation that Geoff must have felt,' they wrote in a statement read to the court.

'We now live with the pain of regret that maybe we could have done more to help him.'

Kim Hunt's younger sister, Jenny Geppert sobbed as she recalled the last time she had seen Mr and Mrs Hunt with their children.

It was her daughter's fourth birthday party, and the Hunts stayed on after the other guests had left.

There was little sign of the terrible car crash two years earlier that had left Mrs Hunt battling wild mood swings and anger, and forced her to re-learn how to walk and talk.

'My sister and I were as close as they come,' Mrs Geppert said.

'I made her promise me once that she would never let anything happen to her because I couldn't imagine how I'd live my life without her. I wish she could have kept this promise.'

Mrs Hunt's family also said an urgent re-think of support services for families who have experienced trauma, such as her 2012 car crash, was needed to prevent another tragedy.

Mrs Hunt's cousin, Jane Blake, writing on behalf of her extended family, slammed the 'obvious ineffectiveness of the mental health system' in Australia.

'We believe one hour with Kim every now and then was grossly inappropriate to deem her 'better' and no longer needing support,' Ms Blake said in a submission.

'To take the word of an individual with a brain injury and significant spinal injury is unacceptable. Equal support for main carers like Geoff is totally unrecognised

Thread Information