Thread: Jack The Ripper REVEALED!

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar

Jack The Ripper REVEALED!

This is just a snippet of the article since it's VERY long and detailed. MYSTERY SOLVED!

It is the greatest murder mystery of all time, a puzzle that has perplexed criminologists for more than a century and spawned books, films and myriad theories ranging from the plausible to the utterly bizarre.

But now, thanks to modern forensic science, The Mail on Sunday can exclusively reveal the true identity of Jack the Ripper, the serial killer responsible for at least five grisly murders in Whitechapel in East London during the autumn of 1888.

DNA evidence has now shown beyond reasonable doubt which one of six key suspects commonly cited in connection with the Ripper?s reign of terror was the actual killer ? and we reveal his identity.

A shawl found by the body of Catherine Eddowes, one of the Ripper?s victims, has been analysed and found to contain DNA from her blood as well as DNA from the killer.

The landmark discovery was made after businessman Russell Edwards, 48, bought the shawl at auction and enlisted the help of Dr Jari Louhelainen, a world-renowned expert in analysing genetic evidence from historical crime scenes.

Using cutting-edge techniques, Dr Louhelainen was able to extract 126-year-old DNA from the material and compare it to DNA from descendants of Eddowes and the suspect, with both proving a perfect match.

The revelation puts an end to the fevered speculation over the Ripper?s identity which has lasted since his murderous rampage in the most impoverished and dangerous streets of London.

In the intervening century, a Jack the Ripper industry has grown up, prompting a dizzying array of more than 100 suspects, including Queen Victoria?s grandson ? Prince Albert Victor, the Duke of Clarence ? the post-Impressionist painter Walter Sickert, and the former Liberal Prime Minister William Gladstone

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-murders.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

yay science!
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Some people are still questioning it though. It would be nice to see them get a second study on the DNA just to be sure since this was done independently. I, for one, believe this though. It will be interesting to see if anyone challenges this or researches it deeper.

The shawl looks in mighty fine condition.

Where is everyone...ello, ello...

Fibro Fog has taken over. I am in a constant state of dyscognition so please excuse my retardation.
    'The worst things in the world are justified by belief'- Raised by Wolves SOI

"Your life is short, it's the longest thing you'll ever do/ the worse the curse was that your dreams came true/
    God is a mirror in which each man sees himself/ Hell is place where you don't need anyone's help"

~You got to cry with out weeping. Talk without speaking
    Scream without raising your voice~

This thread needs some Screaming Lord Sutch

No kidding! You would think Saucy Jack would get more attention. It's only one of the most infamous murder mysteries in the world.

Here's a good counter argument to the astonishingly well-preserved & very unslum-like looking shawl

http://www.reddit.com/r/badhistory/c...he_101st_time/

Kominski does make the most sense though. And if this article of clothing was taken from the scene and kept packed away would it not be in very good condition? I also was under the impression from the first article it was to nice a shawl for Catherine E. to own as she had pawned her shoes either the day before or just that morning, so it seemed The Ripper left it on scene? I dunno, but I agree, though there would be a lot more conversation on this than there has been?

Also, Good find Blighted, good article!

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    I just find it annoying that they can use 126 year old DNA to solve one of the most baffling cases of all time but there are cases from five months ago with DNA that they can't solve. One day, hopefully.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

Eh, I've read a lot about this and pretty much everyone but this person trying to sell a bin has said nope and that the science is really flimsy.

Damn...I was hoping it was legit...I mean it all just seemed so cool...solving a murder that old. Oh well...I should have known!!

I know that it makes more sense to use the resources to solve more pressing crimes, but part of me also wants them to dig deeper and try to see if there's a way to solve it through DNA legitimately.

It would be a huge thing to solve this using DNA, the fact that it's not peer reviewed & isn't appearing in any professional journals even as a conversation piece is a little telling.

& yes it's far too good & clean a shawl to belong to a destitute woman of that period. It's also unusual that it was supposedly taken from the scene & not kept with the other evidence that's been held all these years. You wouldn't think a policemen would want to give his wife or mother something that was covered in the semen of a prostitute's clients & a whore's blood & guts following evisceration. It's kind of an odd idea for a gift.

How do we know it's not the oldest example of planted evidence in the world? Taken from Kominski's house during a search & intended to be left at a scene but then reconsidered because it didn't fit?

After all these years anything is possible & that's the problem. I was more inclined to accept it at face value until I heard no-one had reviewed the science and this was perfectly timed to coincide with a book release (as "Shocking New Ripper Evidence!!!!" always seems to be)

ETA even though it's a fiction, this is a bit like "Picnic At Hanging Rock". The original chapter wasn't printed & when I was 17 or 18 it was released amid much fanfare. I borrowed it from a friend at school & read the whole thing in 15 mins. I actually threw my friend's book at a wall. I don' t think my reaction was unusual either. People were RAGING. It was a ridiculous ending. Unexpected, certainly BUT SO STUPID.

Anyway, at this point I think the Ripper Mystery has a similar dynamic & a real solution is going to be a huge letdown
    Last edited by blighted star; 09-19-2014 at 06:45 PM.

Confirmed.

Mystery unsolved.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sc...r-9804325.html

It was supposed to have been the definitive piece of scientific evidence that finally exposed the true identify of Jack the Ripper after he had brutally murdered at least five women on the streets of Whitechapel in the East End of London, 126 years ago.

A 23-year-old Polish immigrant barber called Aaron Kosminski was "definitely, categorically and absolutely" the man who carried out the atrocities in 1888, according to a detailed analysis of DNA extracted from a silk shawl allegedly found at the scene of one of his murders.

However, the scientist who carried out the DNA analysis has apparently made a fundamental error that fatally undermines his case against Kosminski – and once again throws open the debate over who the identity of the Ripper.

The scientist, Jari Louhelainen, is said to have made an "error of nomenclature" when using a DNA database to calculate the chances of a genetic match. If true, it would mean his calculations were wrong and that virtually anyone could have left the DNA that he insisted came from the Ripper's victim.

The apparent error, first noticed by crime enthusiasts in Australia blogging on the casebook.org website, has been highlighted by four experts with intimate knowledge of DNA analysis – including Professor Sir Alec Jeffreys, the inventor of genetic fingerprinting – who found that Dr Louhelainen made a basic mistake in analysing the DNA extracted from a shawl supposedly found near the badly disfigured body of Ripper victim Catherine Eddowes.

They say the error means no DNA connection can be made between Kosminski and Eddowes. Any suggestion therefore that the Ripper and Kosminski are the same person appears to be based on conjecture and supposition – as it has been ever since the police first identified Kosminksi as a possible suspect more than a century ago.

The latest flurry of interest in Kosminski, who died in a lunatic asylum, aged 53, stems from a book, Naming Jack the Ripper, published earlier this year, by Russell Edwards, a businessman who bought the shawl in 2007 on the understanding that it was the same piece of cloth allegedly found next to Eddowes.

"I've got the only piece of forensic evidence in the whole history of the case. I've spent 14 years working, and we have finally solved the mystery of who Jack the Ripper was. Only non-believers that want to perpetuate the myth will doubt. This is it now – we have unmasked him," Edwards told The Mail on Sunday, which serialised his book.

Edwards commissioned Dr Louhelainen, a molecular biologist at Liverpool John Moores University, to carry out a forensic analysis of the shawl, including the extraction of any DNA samples that may be present within the cloth, which had been supposedly stored unwashed all this time by the family of the London policeman who had acquired the artefact.

Dr Louhelainen, who declined to answer questions, managed to extract seven incomplete fragments of mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA), and tried to match their sequences with mtDNA from a living descendant of Eddowes, called Karen Miller.

Professor Walther Parson of the Institute of Legal Medicine in Innsbruck has echoed Professor Jeffreys' concerns.

The work has not been published in a peer-reviewed journal, and the only detailed description by Dr Louhelainen comes from Edwards' book. "One of these amplified mtDNA segments had a sequence variation which gave a match between one of the shawl samples and Karen Miller's DNA only; ie the DNA sequence retrieved from the shawl did not match with control reference sequences," Dr Louhelainen writes -

"This DNA alteration is known as global private mutation (314.1C) and it is not very common in worldwide population, as it has frequency estimate of 0.000003506, i.e. approximately 1/290,000. This figure has been calculated using the database at Institute of Legal Medicine, GMI, based on the latest available information. Thus, this result indicates the shawl contains human DNA identical to Karen Miller's for this mitochondrial DNA segment," he says.

But experts with detailed knowledge of the GMI's mtDNA database claimed that Dr Louhelainen made an "error of nomenclature" because the mutation in question should be written as "315.1C" and not "314.1C". Had Dr Louhelainen done this, and followed standard forensic practice, he would have discovered the mutation was not rare at all but shared by more than 99 per cent of people of European descent.

"If the match frequency really is 90 per cent plus, and not 1/290,000, then obviously there is no significance whatsoever in the match between the shawl and Eddowes' descendant, and the same match would have been seen with almost anyone who had handled the shawl over the years," Professor Jeffreys said.

Dr Louhelainen appears to have made a basic error in calculating the frequency estimate. There are currently about 34,617 entries in the GMI database, and the figure would have been nearer to 29,000 when Dr Louhelainen carried out his research some time ago. So failing to find a match for a non-existent mutation should have given a frequency of about 1/29,000 – an error suggesting that he had placed a decimal point in the wrong place.

"The random match probability of a sequence only seen once [as claimed for the shawl] is therefore roughly 1/34,617. With a database of this size, it is impossible to arrive at an estimate as low as 1/290,000," Professor Jeffreys said.

Other scientists echoed Professor Jeffreys' concerns, including Mannis van Oven, professor of forensic molecular biology at Rotterdam's Erasmus University, Professor Walther Parson of the Institute of Legal Medicine in Innsbruck, and Hansi Weissensteiner, also at Innsbruck and one of the scientists behind the computer algorithm used by Dr Louhelainen to search the mtDNA database.

A spokesperson for publishers Sidgwick & Jackson said: "The author stands by his conclusions. We are investigating the reported error in scientific nomenclature. However, this does not change the DNA profiling match and the probability of the match calculated from the rest of the haplotype data. The conclusion reached in the book, that Aaron Kosminski was Jack the Ripper, relies on much more than this one figure."
    Last edited by blighted star; 10-20-2014 at 12:22 AM.

Dbl

Ahhhh well. There it is.

Thread Information