Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Documentaries worth watching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyfrBZddlsg

The Oregon Salmonella case it was strange episode given that it was one of the largest biological attacks in the United States prior to the 2001 Anthrax attacks. It's was amazing that it was an Oregon cult leader that did that.

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/t...itary-15135001

Here is a Cool Documentary The men shot by their neighbours this just came out in the UK

It was an ordinary Friday evening in April 2016. Michael McGibbon, a 33-year-old taxi driver, prepared to leave his Belfast home for a meeting. He kissed his wife, Joanne, goodbye.

As she hugged him, she begged him not to go, telling him, ‘I can't let you do this’. But he went. He felt he had no choice.

Michael wasn’t going to just any meeting. He was going to a pre-arranged shooting, where men with covered faces would shoot him once in the ankle and once in the artery at the back of his knee.

“I remember thinking, ‘I need a hospital bag, I need to pack stuff for him’,” Joanne recalls. “I packed his pyjamas as I knew for definite he’d be in hospital for the night. I remember saying to him that I loved him, and hugging him, and saying, ‘I can’t let you do this’. But he said, ‘You have to let me do this’.”

The next time Joanne saw her husband, he was wounded in the street. She tried to save his life, but Michael died, murdered in what the police believe was a form of vigilante punishment. Appealing for information a year after the attack, the police described Michael as a "man with no criminal record, no apparent criminal connections or associations".

Joanne and Michael McGibbonJOANNE AND MICHAEL MCGIBBON / BBC THREE
    Joanne and Michael McGibbon
    These brutal assaults – known by some as ‘punishment attacks’, and often targeted at men under 30 - come in the form of beatings or 'kneecapping' shootings, where the victim is literally shot through the knee, ankle or sometimes elbow. They are the subject of a new BBC Three documentary presented by Stacey Dooley.

The attacks are carried out by paramilitary groups – self-appointed vigilantes who engage in illegal activities and act as though they have official military powers - such as the Republican groups AAD (Action Against Drugs), the INLA (Irish National Liberation Army) and the Loyalist group UVF (Ulster Volunteer Force).

They use guns and wear combat gear, and, as Stacey hears in her documentary, they claim they want to protect their community. But their behaviour is a far cry from that of the police or the actual army. In fact, as well as the violence they carry out, police believe these groups are often involved in other serious crimes, including drug dealing and extortion.

The existence of both Republican and Loyalist paramilitary groups in Northern Ireland today is the legacy of a long conflict about whether or not Ireland should become one united country. Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom, while the Republic of Ireland is a separate country. Republicans identify as Irish and Loyalists identify as British.

Paramilitary ParadeBBC THREE
    Paramilitary parade during The Troubles
    Between 1968 and 1998, in the period known as The Troubles, thousands of people were killed and injured. Aggressive tactics, such as punishment attacks, were used by both sides in an attempt to intimidate and control their local communities.

After a long peace process, the Good Friday Agreement (or Belfast Agreement) was signed in 1998, and peace has largely continued since then.

But paramilitary dissidents still have a grip on parts of the neighbourhoods they operate in today.

Their threats often single out those the groups deem a threat to society - which often means young men who the paramilitaries believe are guilty of anti-social behaviour like death driving (aka joyriding) and other criminal activity, like drug dealing, theft and vandalism.

Paramilitary GrafittiBBC THREE
    Paramilitary grafitti warnings
    According to the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) the number of so-called punishment shootings has reduced so far in 2018. But last year, incidents were at their highest since 2010, with 101 reported casualties. The figures also show that Republican dissidents are more likely to use guns, while Loyalists tend to mete out beatings.

In the documentary, Stacey focuses on Republican areas in Belfast and talks to people on all sides of this issue. She meets the victims who carry the physical and mental scars of what happened to them, those working to combat the violence, and, finally, the masked, gun-toting men who carry out the attacks.

So called ‘punishments attacks’ are often (but not always) arranged by appointment – if you have been targeted you could get a call, given a place and time and told to turn up for your shooting or beating. Earlier this year, George Hamilton, the head of the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) told the Guardian that some victims’ loved ones were even drugging them and getting them drunk before they were beaten or shot, to offset the pain.

Paramilitary groups attempt to justify their behaviour by saying that attacks will maintain order in the community and keep those who commit a crime off the street because, put simply, they won’t physically be able to walk. However, some of the victims have already been charged by police with a crime and punished by the criminal justice system.

On the Divis Estate in West Belfast, it can seem that there is a quiet acceptance of punishment attacks as restorative justice. In 2017, there were reports of a Facebook page where residents could list names of people they believed had committing a crime, and then respond to news of their punishment once it has happened.

Death Driving ClipMIICKC - YOUTUBE
    "Death driving" leaves residents scared to leave their homes
    Sometimes it's not only those thought to be involved in theft, drugs, or antisocial behaviour who are targeted.

In the documentary, Stacey meets Rab, who was 28 when he was hit in the head with a hammer, as well as shot in the legs and ankles by masked men who forced their way into his house. He thinks it was a revenge attack for a fight he’d had with a man a few weeks before.

Rab - Victim of shootingBBC THREE
    Rab at home after he was attacked
    The men shot him in the kitchen while his partner Natasha and two of her children, aged four and six, were held by a masked man in the living room next door. Natasha’s 10-year-old child witnessed the attack.

“We ordered take-out food,” he explains. “The food came, and as I was cutting it up I turned round and a masked man was standing in the kitchen.” He then heard someone say “cripple the bastard”.

Rab's injuries were so severe he feared at one point that he might not walk again. However, his wounds healed, and now he is able to stand, but he is clearly suffering psychologically from his ordeal. “No ten-year-old should see that,” Rab reflects.

Rab blames himself for the emotional distress the attack has caused to his family. “You’re just constantly thinking you’ve ruined their lives,” he says.

The PSNI has vowed to tackle the violence. They've set up a department called the Paramilitary Crime Task Force to try to tackle crime carried out by paramilitary groups. Detective Superintendent Bobby Singleton from the PSNI’s task force explains in the documentary that all of this is more than a warped form of justice. “They are organised crime groups now. They are exploiting people within their community.” He says they tax drug dealers and anyone starting a new business.

Some people are trying to turn the tide on punishment attacks. Community Restorative Justice, for example, works to get threats lifted. Deputy Director Jim McCarthy says that across Belfast, there are 250-300 threats a year, a significantly higher number than has been recorded by the PSNI.

Meanwhile, on the Divis estate, Stephen Hughes runs a youth centre where a tongue-in-cheek ‘No Adults’ sign hangs on the door. He tells Stacey that paramilitaries have threatened and even shot some of the teenagers he works with.

Stephen HughesBBC THREE
    Youth centre worker, Stephen Hughes
    “We’ve had four [incidents] in 14 months,” he explains. "All alive, but all damaged. My argument is how does it change things? How does it stop crime, how does it prevent drugs?

"It doesn’t. They’re children. And often they’re the most vulnerable children who have suffered as they’ve grown up. We have to say this is not acceptable, this is our line in the sand.”

Stephen wants to show the young people that a better future is possible - one where they don’t have to fear a knock on the door. He explains that some members of the paramilitary groups "don’t want to be involved in punishing children," but feel like they have to keep doing so because "the community demand it" owing to a lack of "faith in the justice system".

Paramilitary GroupBBC THREE
    Masked members of a Republican paramilitary group
    The paramilitary groups claim that they believe they are providing a service. During the filming of the documentary, a Republican paramilitary group agrees to meet Stacey in order to attempt to explain why they carry out these attacks. They describe what they do as 'social action'.

“We could be living next door to your grandmother,” one member says, “and that’s why people fear us so much because we just come out of the shadows, do our deed and go home.”

When Stacey presses the group and asks whether they feel any guilt at all, they reply, “We want to help people.” A spokesman for the group tells her, “And if you have to shoot someone to help people, then we’ll do it.”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CrqT5RzXvQY

The Aileen Wuornos Documentary here. One of the rarest Cases where a female was accused of being a serial killer.

Im late to the party but Finding Neverland was good.

Im fininshing watching Allen vs. Farrow and its pretty sickening. Good doc though.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Im on a HBO Max Documentary spree through Hulu. "In the Same Breath" is pretty good.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Im on a HBO Max Documentary spree through Hulu. "In the Same Breath" is pretty good.
    What is that about? I'm up for a good, interesting doc.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    What is that about? I'm up for a good, interesting doc.
    The Covid outbreak in Wuhan China. How it started, how people tried to warn the media, etc.

The Covid outbreak in Wuhan China. How it started, how people tried to warn the media, etc.
    Thanks!

yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Anyone seen Enemies of The State?

The main guy in the story sounds like juju.
    Last edited by Angiebla; 11-01-2021 at 05:06 PM.

Anyone seen Enemies of The State?

The main guy in the story sounds like juju.
    Never even heard of it. Is it on netflix? My husband cancelled our account

Never even heard of it. Is it on netflix? My husband cancelled our account
    Hulu

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    I looked for a thread on this guy but I didn't find one. John Ackroyd aka The Highway 20 Killer. I KNOW that there are others out there and I wouldn't be suprised if some cold cases belong to him.

Anyway, this is a MUST WATCH documentary on him on YouTube. This is the full series all in one sport and no ads. Fascinating!

That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Thanks for this - I've saved it to watch later.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    Thanks for this - I've saved it to watch later.
    Seriously. It's so well done and interviews so many amazing people. You'll love it. I swear to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I looked for a thread on this guy but I didn't find one. John Ackroyd aka The Highway 20 Killer. I KNOW that there are others out there and I wouldn't be suprised if some cold cases belong to him.

Anyway, this is a MUST WATCH documentary on him on YouTube. This is the full series all in one sport and no ads. Fascinating!

Watched this today. Wow, good documentary. Hard to believe Ackroyd was able to get away with this for so long. All the signs were there. Lord only knows how many women he murdered. I can almost guarantee the UID skulls they found were his victims.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.

Watched this today. Wow, good documentary. Hard to believe Ackroyd was able to get away with this for so long. All the signs were there. Lord only knows how many women he murdered. I can almost guarantee the UID skulls they found were his victims.
    I think they are his work too and who knows how many are still out there laying undiscovered. I'm glad that you liked it. It was one of the best true crime docs I've ever seen. They did a fantastic job on it and it was amazing how many family members and law enforcement people they got together to paint the picture of the victims and the scenes.

Seriously. It's so well done and interviews so many amazing people. You'll love it. I swear to you.
    I watched it the night you recommended it. It's a good documentary, but very sad and infuriating. The mother's denial really pissed me off...maybe because she reminded me of my own mother.

Thanks for recommending it!

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I watched it the night you recommended it. It's a good documentary, but very sad and infuriating. The mother's denial really pissed me off...maybe because she reminded me of my own mother.

Thanks for recommending it!
    VERY infuriating! I couldn't imagine being her and having the police and her mother in law try to brush it off. So sad for the years of feeling worthless. She broke my heart.

I'm glad that you liked it. It was one of the best true crime docs I've ever seen. They did a fantastic job on it and it was amazing how many family members and law enforcement people they got together to paint the picture of the victims and the scenes.
    It was really well done.

I couldn't believe the mother still can't admit it after all these years, she's still 'not sure.' I hope this denial is just her way of dealing with the fact she brought her daughter's killer into her children's lives. That would be a hard thing to live with.

VERY infuriating! I couldn't imagine being her and having the police and her mother in law try to brush it off. So sad for the years of feeling worthless. She broke my heart.
    This broke my heart too, BB73. Especially because when she first appeared on the screen, I thought 'what a striking and attractive woman she is!' And her younger photos remind me so much of my oldest sister. At the end when she said 'I'm worthless, I'm ugly...' I just wanted to cry.

It was really well done.

I couldn't believe the mother still can't admit it after all these years, she's still 'not sure.' I hope this denial is just her way of dealing with the fact she brought her daughter's killer into her children's lives. That would be a hard thing to live with.

This broke my heart too, BB73. Especially because when she first appeared on the screen, I thought 'what a striking and attractive woman she is!' And her younger photos remind me so much of my oldest sister. At the end when she said 'I'm worthless, I'm ugly...' I just wanted to cry.
    There's the added "bonus" that she's native and had probably suffered all kinds of horrible racism even before it happened and again definitely afterward. She knew that if she were a blue eyed, blonde girl with this same treatment that she would have been taken seriously.

It would have been one thing if it were the travesty of another woman being treated as "lesser". But the fact that those assholes ignored it meant that others died and were tortured before they died because they did NOTHING.

The fact that SHE lives with that guilt rather than the fucktards that ignored her? THAT is the true crime.

Life Of Crime, 1984-2020 is a really good documentary. Probably the best I've seen in a long time.
    Last edited by puke; 11-30-2021 at 07:34 PM.
    Gooble goble gooble goble one of us one of us. t(-_-)t

Has anyone watched "The First Wave" on Hulu?

Has anyone watched "The First Wave" on Hulu?
    No, what's it about? Did you like it?

No, what's it about? Did you like it?
    Its about Covid. It follows around a doctor at a NYC hospital. I like it so far. Kinda sad though.

Thread Information