Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Documentaries worth watching

Wow, this documentary brought me to tears today. It follows two violent offenders found "criminally not responsible" through treatment and the court system. They are two very different cases - one guy refuses to admit he has problems, and the other one is trying his hardest to re-enter society. The difference between them is stark. It's heartbreaking to watch the struggle.

You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

I loved the Shannon Hoon documentary All I Can Say..

"Theoretical physics can prove that an elephant can hang from a cliff with its tail tied to a daisy. But use your eyes, your common sense".... JIM GARRISON

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    Wow, this documentary brought me to tears today. It follows two violent offenders found "criminally not responsible" through treatment and the court system. They are two very different cases - one guy refuses to admit he has problems, and the other one is trying his hardest to re-enter society. The difference between them is stark. It's heartbreaking to watch the struggle.

Thank you for sharing this. I just watched it. Absolute tears. I wish the US would put the resources necessary towards these kinds of programs for the mentally ill. I couldn't imagine having to live with an illness that takes away your ability to see reality. To have zero control over your actions. Terrifying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post

Thank you for sharing this. I just watched it. Absolute tears. I wish the US would put the resources necessary towards these kinds of programs for the mentally ill. I couldn't imagine having to live with an illness that takes away your ability to see reality. To have zero control over your actions. Terrifying.
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    So glad you watched it, and you synopsized it well.

It hurt my heart when Sean said he attempted to get help on the day he stabbed that woman. He did everything right - he knew he was in trouble, he tried to get help - and still the system failed him. And just think of how much MORE support these two have than someone in a comparable situation in the US. Our mental health system is TOTALLY broken. I don't have the answers, but I wish someone did.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Has anyone watched There's Something about Pam on Peacock? It's a docuseries dramatic retelling of the Betsy Faria murder. Rene Zellweger stars as Pamela Hupp (the real killer) and doesn't a great job. I put this here, because there's a Dateline episode with the prosecutor finally giving the excuses that she can for her shitty job. I couldn't find the original thread on this case, but it's really popular because Betsy's husband was railroaded by Pamela Hupp, the Troy Police and Leah Askew.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Queenatoo View Post
    Has anyone watched There's Something about Pam on Peacock? It's a docuseries dramatic retelling of the Betsy Faria murder. Rene Zellweger stars as Pamela Hupp (the real killer) and doesn't a great job. I put this here, because there's a Dateline episode with the prosecutor finally giving the excuses that she can for her shitty job. I couldn't find the original thread on this case, but it's really popular because Betsy's husband was railroaded by Pamela Hupp, the Troy Police and Leah Askew.
    I started watching it and just couldn't continue because the acting was terrible. The Dateline episode was much better.

Edited to say it is a serious case but the docu series seemed to be more of a comedy, which didn't sit right with me.

Dope Sick Love is a good(depressing) documentary.
    Gooble goble gooble goble one of us one of us. t(-_-)t

Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    I started watching it and just couldn't continue because the acting was terrible. The Dateline episode was much better.

Edited to say it is a serious case but the docu series seemed to be more of a comedy, which didn't sit right with me.
    I haven't watched it, but the preview gave me the same impression and made me not want to watch it.

It's gets better, I promise. The first episode wasn't the best.

It turns out that Rene Zellweger wasn't over acting, she had Pamela Hupp's characteristics down to a t.

Quote Originally Posted by Queenatoo View Post
    It's gets better, I promise. The first episode wasn't the best.

It turns out that Rene Zellweger wasn't over acting, she had Pamela Hupp's characteristics down to a t.
    So maybe it is worth checking out then.

For fans of British royalty...
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Im watching the Hulu mini series about Steven Stayner. I think I saw I know my name is Steven but I cant remember.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Where they don't have maps.......such as..
    Oooo I totally saw I Know My First Name Is Steven! Didn’t realize that’s what this was!
    Quote Originally Posted by blighted star
    I was about to be annoyed that this thread was still active, but I see now it's morphed into offers of sex for chilli confectionary, so carry on guys :)

This on Vice.

Gooble goble gooble goble one of us one of us. t(-_-)t

So Im on episode 2 of The Staircase. Is the whole thing made for him to look like the good guy?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    So Im on episode 2 of The Staircase. Is the whole thing made for him to look like the good guy?
    Are you watching the documentary or the HBO show?

I watched that a few years ago. I think it's meant to be from his point of view, but after watching it all I was still on the fence.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Are you watching the documentary or the HBO show?
    Its a Netflix series.

I watched that a few years ago. I think it's meant to be from his point of view, but after watching it all I was still on the fence.
    Yes I was certain he was guilty, but this is changing my mind and I dont like it.

Yes I was certain he was guilty, but this is changing my mind and I dont like it.
    Same. It does seem to raise some doubts but....the fact he still lived in the house creeped me out too.

yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Its a Netflix series.
    Okay, the HBO series explains things. Essentially, the company that produced the documentary was in France. The editor of the documentary contacted Michael Peterson when he was imprisoned and started a long-distance relationship with him, which skewed how she edited the footage. They had a decades long relationship after she moved from France to Durham, NC. If you have HBO, it is worth the watch.

Okay, the HBO series explains things. Essentially, the company that produced the documentary was in France. The editor of the documentary contacted Michael Peterson when he was imprisoned and started a long-distance relationship with him, which skewed how she edited the footage. They had a decades long relationship after she moved from France to Durham, NC. If you have HBO, it is worth the watch.
    I dont have HBO just HBO max. Have you seen the netflix one? I will say hes lucky hes rich and has a damn good lawyer.

I dont have HBO just HBO max. Have you seen the netflix one? I will say hes lucky hes rich and has a damn good lawyer.
    He also refused plea deals....he dragged it out till the very end. If it's not because he is innocent, then he is a total narcissist.

It can be watched on HBO Max. Yes, I saw the documentary and found him repulsive. His attorney was really good; his wife's biological daughter stopped supporting him during the trial and ended up with her life insurance policy. He is apparently indigent now.

Thread Information