Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Documentaries worth watching

I watched The Genius of Marian

This documentary moved me. Maybe it's because I'm dealing with my own mom who has Alzheimer's.

A son follows his mom's descent into Alzheimers over the years. His mom is named Pam White. Beautiful lady that used to be a model/actor way back in the day.

It really punched me in the gut watching him talk to his mom....she was fine, laughing and talking...then all of a sudden she would have that blank look to her face. It reminded me so much of my own mom.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    SMH. White people! Always trying to help and shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Feetprints View Post
    I loved this one! Another one Netflix nagged me to watch.

I know it's been mentioned before, but I just got around to watching "Dear Zachary." If you haven't seen it yet, I recommend it.

I just watched Life With Murder on Netflix Canada, so I'm not sure if you all can get it, it was excellent, it will piss you off, make you cry, and shake your head.

Quote Originally Posted by sogs View Post
    Nothing matters but the lesbian.

I watched Autism in Love on netflix and really enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by missbad View Post
    I just watched Life With Murder on Netflix Canada, so I'm not sure if you all can get it, it was excellent, it will piss you off, make you cry, and shake your head.
    My husband grew up in the town where it happened. We ended up living there for a few years, though we aren't there now, his dad and step mom still are. My step MIL actually lived down the street from the Jenkins when Mason and Jen were kids, and Mason was suspected (basically everything knew, but no one could prove it) of killing some of the neighbours pets when he was young. And the parents still live in the house where she was murdered.

Quote Originally Posted by statro View Post
    My husband grew up in the town where it happened. We ended up living there for a few years, though we aren't there now, his dad and step mom still are. My step MIL actually lived down the street from the Jenkins when Mason and Jen were kids, and Mason was suspected (basically everything knew, but no one could prove it) of killing some of the neighbours pets when he was young. And the parents still live in the house where she was murdered.
    Wow, when I watched it I was torn between feeling really bad for the parents and being frustrated with the amount of denial they were capable of.

Quote Originally Posted by sogs View Post
    Nothing matters but the lesbian.

Quote Originally Posted by missbad View Post
    I couldn't find it on my US Netflix but I found it on YouTube. I'm gonna watch it soon.

Anybody ever seen Into The Wild with Emile Hirsch, great freaking movie on NetFlix. Its not really so much of a documentary but I posted it here because its actually based on a real guy which I didn't know until the end.
    Gooble goble gooble goble one of us one of us. t(-_-)t

Just watched Life With Murder.

Spoilers ahead if you haven't watched it/heard of the case!

What a strange family. Going into it I just felt like Mason was for lack of a better word, mentally retarded. The more he told, the more of a monster he seemed to be. It was absolutely frustrating how he would only tell a new detail once in a great while and the parents seemed to only want to hear a tid bit at a time instead of ripping off the band aid and hearing all the details at once. It also annoyed me how every time they tried to get answers from Mason, the mom would overtalk him and answer for him. Also I didn't know they had prison set ups where the prisoner and their family stayed in a little house like they did (with knives!) in the beginning I kind of believed him that it was an accident but then when he starts talking about how he planned to kill his parents too and how he wrote the will, I thought they need to just forget him and throw away the key. The family's dialogue is just bizarre in the way they dance around the subject. Also in the end when the parents are visiting him for his bday he looks annoyed and bored of them. He's a very strange character to read.

I just watched Life With Murder based on everyone's recommendations. I really think the only people who believe Mason's accident story are his parents. Maybe I'm looking at it through the eyes of a reasonable person and Mason isn't reasonable, but nobody shoots someone once by accident and then four more times to end their pain. His parents, wow. "He was never violent." "Yes, he stole cars, but he washed them and brought them back." Dad calls him a little rascal? Denial is a hell of a thing.

Between this one and Dear Zachary, I'm not really fond of the Canadian justice system. This guy has like a vacation cottage where he can barbecue with his parents? I think that's a bit much.

Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    I watched The Genius of Marian

This documentary moved me. Maybe it's because I'm dealing with my own mom who has Alzheimer's.

A son follows his mom's descent into Alzheimers over the years. His mom is named Pam White. Beautiful lady that used to be a model/actor way back in the day.

It really punched me in the gut watching him talk to his mom....she was fine, laughing and talking...then all of a sudden she would have that blank look to her face. It reminded me so much of my own mom.
    I cried through it, my Mom was overtaken by Alzheimers too. In the space of a half an hour I would go from being myself (Tia), to being my brother to being a complete stranger, in Mom's mind. Watching this was so familiar.

Berm, it's a familiarity I so wish you didn't share.
    Marshmallow here is the one I liken to Ed Gein... Originally Posted by Heartbroken1

Quote Originally Posted by Eire View Post
    I know it's been mentioned before, but I just got around to watching "Dear Zachary." If you haven't seen it yet, I recommend it.
    I have been told by so many people to avoid this one for some reason. I think I'm gonna have to watch it.
    "A vagabond dreamer, a rhymer and singer of songs
    Singing to no one and nowhere to really belong." - Waylon Jennings

There's a several-part documentary on YouTube called "Everyday Of My Fucking Life"
    Shows a woman's last four days of freedom before going to prison for murdering her husband (she had good reason) I highly recommend it.

The last few I've watched:

Heroin: Cape Cod, U.S.A.
    The film, shot amid the Cape’s scenic beaches and main roads, shows in excruciating detail the grinding lives of addicts and the cycle of disease they endure — scoring, using, trying to get clean, and all too often relapsing.

Joanna Lumley: Elvis and Me
    Joanna Lumley embarks on a very personal journey for an intimate insight into Elvis Presley, the man behind the myth, for this unique one-hour documentary.

A Christmas Family Tragedy
    Explores the Lawson Family Massacre of Christmas Day, 1929. On that day, respected tobacco farmer Charlie Lawson brutally murdered his wife and 6 of his 7 children before committing suicide..

51 Birch Street:
    Documentary filmmaker Doug Block had every reason to believe his parents' 54-year marriage was a good one. But when his mother dies unexpectedly and his father swiftly marries his former secretary, he discovers two parents who are far more complex and troubled than he ever imagined. 51 Birch Street is a riveting personal documentary that explores a universal human question: how much about your parents do you really want to know?

Little White Lie:
    A film about denial, race, family secrets and a search for identity.

I watched them at primewire.ag

Every time I come here to recommend a documentary, I forget about Streetwise. It centers around homeless kids in Seattle in the mid early 80's. The film was inspired by Mary Ellen Mark's photo series and was directed by her husband Martin Bell.

Where they don't have maps.......such as..
    Quote Originally Posted by of_corpse_not View Post
    There's a several-part documentary on YouTube called "Everyday Of My Fucking Life"
    Shows a woman's last four days of freedom before going to prison for murdering her husband (she had good reason) I highly recommend it.
    I've seen this I think. WOMAN"s name is Wendy right?
    Quote Originally Posted by blighted star
    I was about to be annoyed that this thread was still active, but I see now it's morphed into offers of sex for chilli confectionary, so carry on guys :)

Beth Thomas was a darling and seemingly normal little girl when Child of Rage premiered on HBO in 1990. With round cheeks and big, innocent eyes, Thomas describes her home life to the therapist interviewing her on camera—and what comes out of her mouth is beyond disturbing.

A victim of sexual molestation at an early age, Thomas and her younger brother were removed from their childhood home and placed with a loving adoptive family shortly before she turned two years old. But the long-term effects of her abuse are astounding: Thomas relays, in cold detail, how she often feels a murderous anger toward the people who love her the most—and details the violence she now inflicts on her family members. The film follows Thomas as she undergoes "attachment therapy" to treat her violent rage.

Why it’s so creepy: There's definitely something chilling about a cherubic eight-year-old admitting that she needs to be locked in her room at night so she won't succeed in killing her brother. (Viewers will be relieved to know that Thomas successfully completed treatment and currently works as a neonatal nurse in Arizona.)

Is it weird that I couldn't stop laughing through that whole documentary?

"The Falling Man" - about 9/11
    "The Bridge" - about suicide

I liked "A Necessary Death" and then I found out that it was a fake documentary.

Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    "The Falling Man" - about 9/11
    "The Bridge" - about suicide

I liked "A Necessary Death" and then I found out that it was a fake documentary.
    Is The Bridge the one about the Golden Gate. If so I've seen it and it's pretty sad.

I've seen Dear Zachary before just watched it again its absolutely gut wrenching.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by puke View Post
    Is The Bridge the one about the Golden Gate. If so I've seen it and it's pretty sad.
    Yes and it is definitely sad. Dear Zachary as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    "From One Second To The Next" on Netflix. It's follows the stories of people who have been affected by texting and driving.

Have tissues ready. Seriously.
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Thread Information