Thread: Interpol Global Alert : Ashya King, 5, Has A Brain Tumour & Has Been Abducted From A U.K Hospital By His Parents

Interpol Global Alert : Ashya King, 5, Has A Brain Tumour & Has Been Abducted From A U.K Hospital By His Parents

http://www.news.com.au/world/interpo...=1409401807867

INTERPOL has issued a global alert for a desperately ill British boy with a brain tumour who officials believe was kidnapped from hospital by his parents, dramatically ratcheting up the hunt for the five-year-old.
    British and French authorities were racing against time on Friday to find the boy.

Ashya King?s parents took him Thursday from hospital in the southern British city of Southampton without doctors? consent and boarded a ferry to the French port of Cherbourg on the same day. It is not yet known why Brett King, 51, and Naghemeh King, 45, took their son and while they are Jehovah?s Witnesses, the movement said Friday there was no indication their decision was motivated by religious convictions.

?At the request of UK authorities Interpol has issued a Yellow Notice, or missing persons alert, for a five-year-old British boy removed from a hospital by his parents,? the international police organisation said in a statement on Friday.

?It is vital that we find Ashya today. His health will deteriorate rapidly,? Chris Shead, a spokesman for police in Hampshire, southern England, told reporters.
    ?Ashya is in a wheelchair and is fed through a tube. The feeding system is battery operated and that battery will run out today,? he said.

?Time is running out for this little boy. We need to find him and we need to find him urgently.? In a statement, the hospital in Southampton said Ashya was allowed to leave the ward under his parents? supervision and hospital staff raised the alarm when the length of his absence ?became a cause of concern?.

Jehovah?s Witnesses are known for refusing blood transfusions on religious grounds, but they are otherwise open to other medical procedures. The religious movement confirmed Friday that the parents are members. ?However, we are not aware of the facts of the case nor the reasons for the family?s medical choices which are personal decisions,? it said in a statement.

?There is absolutely no indication, as far as we are aware, that their decision is in any way motivated by any religious convictions. Jehovah?s Witnesses are encouraged to seek the best medical treatment for themselves and their children.? French authorities told AFP the family arrived on Thursday night with their seven children and were driving a grey Hyundai with the number plate KP60 HWK.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-28993791

The search for a five-year-old boy with a brain tumour, missing since being taken out of hospital by his parents against medical advice, is focusing on his family's apartment in Spain. Police cars have been seen outside a property in Marbella as efforts continue to locate Ashya King. Ashya and his family were last seen on a ferry to France after being taken from Southampton General Hospital. Hampshire Police described the need to find him as "desperate". It is feared the battery on the feeding system he uses has run out. Hampshire Police earlier said Ashya's family had "strong links to the Marbella area" and believe they may be travelling there.

Hampshire Assistant Chief Constable Chris Shead said: "It is really important that we find him and ensure he receives medical attention at the earliest opportunity." He also cautioned it was possible the family could be somewhere other than Spain and asked people across the continent to remain vigilant. Mr Shead said it was unclear whether Ashya's parents had spare batteries, or knew how to recharge them.

"Without properly administered food Ashya's situation is very serious," he said. A spokesman for Spain's national police said: "We have received an alert about the family and are actively trying to locate them." Becky Kelly, BBC News According to Ian Pople, a consultant neurosurgeon, the battery in the feeding machine used by Ashya can't be changed easily. It is integrated within the machine, much like an iPhone, and it means the machine has to be taken apart to replace the battery. It's also not designed to be run on batteries for a long period and is usually plugged into mains. In other words, it's only battery-reliant for short periods, such as going to the toilet, or moving between wards.

Ashya's paternal grandmother, Patricia King, said the couple were "wonderful" and had been left beside themselves at their child's illness. Ms King, who lives in Southsea, described her son as "the most caring and wonderful father you could ever have." She also praised her daughter-in-law, saying she had kept a bedside vigil while Ashya was in hospital. "We are a very close family," she said.

Police have asked people to be on the lookout for the family's grey Hyundai I800 Style CRDI,, registration KP60 HWK

Police in Marbella have been liaising with officers in Hampshire and will now go to a judge to request the search is spread across Spain. Mr Shead said the latest information was "positive", adding: "There have been widespread media alerts across Europe. "We would now encourage anyone with links to Spain particularly, to also help us spread the appeal via social media." Interpol has issued a missing persons alert to all 190 of its member countries and said it was treating all information on the case as "high priority".

Brett King, 51, and Naghemeh King, 45, removed Ashya from the ward on Thursday.

My guess is they're going to all suicide together.

It sounds like the hospital was his legal guardian when they call parents abductors. Is part of the story missing? What plans did the hospital have for this child other than tube feedings. Did they plan to remove the tumor or start chemo? Maybe the family wanted to take him home to die rather than have him tethered to a feeding tube and prolong his suffering. The child looks miserable in this photo.

http://www.news.com.au/world/europe/...-1227042779481

ASHYA King, the five-year-old British boy with a brain tumour who was taken from hospital without medical consent, has been found in Spain with his parents, who have been arrested.
    “Ashya King was found in a hotel three kilometres from de Velez Malaga (southern Spain) and was admitted to a hospital,” the National Police force wrote on its Twitter page.
    “His parents have been arrested.”
    British police also confirmed the missing family had been found.
    “Ashya has been found,” said an update on the website of the Hampshire Constabulary.
    “He is in Spain with his mum and dad.”
    According to the statement, police were speaking with Ashya’s parents and the boy’s condition was being assessed.
    “This is all we know at this time — but, he has been found,” it added.
    “Thank you to everyone who has been incredible in helping us spread this appeal.”

Found ... Ashya King. Picture: AP/Interpol Source: AP

Poor kid. Now he's in another hospital without his mum or dad. I'm interested to hear what the deal is with this. Is he at the palliative care stage, or were the dr's expecting a positive result with treatment? They didn't seem to mention any treatment other than forced feeding??

I hope they at least let some of the older kids go to the hospital with him.

http://www.wptv.com/news/world/brett...-from-hospital

Two*parents who took their*son out of a British hospital against doctors' orders, setting off an international search, have been*arrested in Spain.

Parents Brett and Naghemeh King*are being held by authorities over allegedly denying treatment to*their son Ashya.*

Ashya has a brain tumor*and doctors say he needs 24/7 care from professionals. After his parents took him from The University Hospital in Southampton Thursday, medical experts told police the boy is in grave danger without his feeding tube.

Interpol then launched an international missing persons search. Detective Dick Pearson said,*“If we do not locate Ashya today there are serious concerns for his life."

This security cam still*of Brett and Ashya leaving the hospital was also released to the public. The family was recognized by workers at the Spanish hostel where they were staying.

Just hours before his arrest, Brett King recorded a video explaining his son*had access to a feeding tube and was*being cared for. He said he took the boy from the hospital because of a disagreement with doctors over the boy's treatment.

"We pleaded with them for proton beam treatment. ... They looked at me straight in the face and said with his cancer, it would have no benefit whatsoever."

After the family was located, The University Hospital*released a statement saying U.K. doctors are working with doctors in Spain to treat Ashya*and said they "are delighted that he has been found."

The Crown Prosecution*Service*is said to be working on extraditing the Kings.*

This incident has stirred up a lot of debate, with some arguing the Kings should have the right to seek treatment for their son where they wish.*

Ashya's grandmother told Sky News,*​"They're brilliant parents, both of them."

"How do you feel that the police have dealt with it?"

"I think they*have been absolutely disgraceful."

In a press release, Hampshire police say they are making no apologies for how they handled the situation.*“All of our efforts resulted from explicit medical advice that Ashya’s life was in danger. ... When we are told by experts that any child's life is at risk we wi​ll make no apologies for being as proactive as possible.”

And the Kings did have a legal option available to them. Under U.K. law,*if there is a disagreement between parents and medical personnel, "An application should be made to the court to decide, particularly if life-saving treatment is required."

A number of outlets mention the King*family are*Jehovah's Witnesses,*a*religion that does not allow blood transfusions, but at this point officials do not believe their*beliefs played a role in the incident.

i was wondering about all the hate for the parents and the kidnapping charge. i figured they didn't agree with the care either for religious reasons or moral. i mean, sometimes the doctors can only do so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/01/world/...html?hpt=hp_t2

Brett King defended his actions in a YouTube video made shortly before his arrest. He accuses two doctors at the British hospital for not allowing him to seek proton beam treatment outside of Britain, even though he said he was ready to pay for the treatment himself.

"We pleaded with them for proton beam treatment. They looked at me straight in the face and said with his cancer, which is called medulloblastoma, it would have no benefit whatsoever." King said he then looked on the Internet and found sites in the United States, France and Switzerland on proton beam treatment that "said the opposite that it would be beneficial for him."

The hospital in Southampton issued a statement saying they discussed proton beam radiotherapy with Ashya's parents.

"We very much regret that the communication and relationship with the King family had broken down in this way and that for whatever reason they have lost confidence in us," said Dr. Michael Marsh, medical director at University Hospital Southampton. "Our first concern is for Ashya's welfare"

Marsh said some tumors respond well to proton beam treatment, but "there are some cases where there isn't the evidence that this is a beneficial treatment," he said. The hospital statement did not give specifics about Ashya's case.
    so, is this basically the embodiment of all those 'death panels' people think obamacare is going to create? is it possible that the reason they are unwilling to do the treatment is because they are concerned about costs?

the parents seem to think the treatment is worthwhile. i can see how frustrating it would be to know there was possibly something more they could do but not have it as an option.

i still don't see why the parents were arrested.

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    so, is this basically the embodiment of all those 'death panels' people think obamacare is going to create? is it possible that the reason they are unwilling to do the treatment is because they are concerned about costs?

the parents seem to think the treatment is worthwhile. i can see how frustrating it would be to know there was possibly something more they could do but not have it as an option.

i still don't see why the parents were arrested.
    The article said that the parents said they had the money to pay for it, so I'm not really sure why money would come into it. If the kid were just being treated under the National Health System, I could totally see that cost was an issue, but not if they they were willing to step outside of that and pay for it themselves.

Yeah, usually the parents are arrested for fighting AGAINST treatment, not for trying to get additional treatment. :/

The article said that the parents said they had the money to pay for it, so I'm not really sure why money would come into it. If the kid were just being treated under the National Health System, I could totally see that cost was an issue, but not if they they were willing to step outside of that and pay for it themselves.

Yeah, usually the parents are arrested for fighting AGAINST treatment, not for trying to get additional treatment. :/
    i mean medical costs, by the hospital administration... don't they have socialized healthcare there? could it be that the administration decided it was too expensive and denied the treatment despite the parents' willingness to pay for it, which is why they took the child to find another doctor who would?

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    i mean medical costs, by the hospital administration... don't they have socialized healthcare there? could it be that the administration decided it was too expensive and denied the treatment despite the parents' willingness to pay for it, which is why they took the child to find another doctor who would?
    That's what I was alluding to. The National Health System is their socialized health system. You can go outside of it for any healthcare you want, provided you can pay for it. As long as you are paying for it, why should someone in the NHS care? It gets you out of their system and hair. (disclaimer: I haven't lived there in 20 years, but this was how it worked when I lived there, and friends tell me it still works this way)

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...full-force-law

Prosecution authorities are reviewing their move to extradite the parents of Ashya King, the five-year-old cancer patient in hospital in Spain after he was taken from hospital in Southampton. Meanwhile, the government has contacted police and health officials to see whether Ashya can be reunited with his mother and father.

The new interventions follow mounting calls for Brett and Naghmeh King, held in separate prisons near Madrid, to be brought to M?laga, where Ashya is being cared for at a children's hospital. The couple had taken the boy from Southampton general hospital without doctors' consent and say they want alternative treatment abroad for his brain tumour.

David Cameron's spokesman said the Home Office had been in touch with Hampshire police force over the case, while the Department of Health contacted Southampton hospital. The hospital first raised the alarm on Thursday after Ashya was taken away.

Advertisement

Downing Street stressed the need for judicial authorities to be able to operate independently of politicians, but it is clear that Cameron shares the concerns expressed by Nick Clegg that the handling of the case has been heavy-handed.

Earlier on Tuesday the deputy prime minister questioned why the "full force of the law" was being used against the parents and called for the family to be reunited.

Separately, Labour MP Kate Hoey asked the Home Secretary, Theresa May, in the Commons about the handling of the case. May replied: "I hope the lady will be reassured that the CPS are reviewing this issue as we speak."

A CPS spokeswoman confirmed the matter was being reassessed, saying: "Further evidence is now being provided to the CPS and so the case is under immediate review."

The Kings hope to take Ashya to the Czech Republic to undergo proton beam therapy for the tumour. The treatment, not routinely available in Britain, is a form of radiotherapy that does less damage to healthy tissue compared with conventional x-ray-based treatments.

Their removal of the boy, against medical advice, prompted Southampton general hospital to ask the local council, Portsmouth, to apply for temporary wardship of Ashya, while Hampshire police sought a European arrest warrant via the CPS on the basis that the parents' actions amounted to possible cruelty against a minor.

On Tuesday, the leader of Portsmouth city council urged the CPS to drop extradition proceedings and "resolve this distressing situation".

Donna Jones said: "Like others who have been watching this upsetting case unfolding in the media, I have been moved by the plight of the King family and am most concerned about Ashya. I believe what he needs now is to be with his family.

"That's why I am urging the CPS to urgently review the case involving Ashya King's parents and remove any extradition proceedings, so the family can be reunited with their five-year-old son."

A hearing is taking place at the high court in London on Tuesday afternoon to review the council's temporary wardship of the boy.

For now the parents remain in jails in Madrid, after a Spanish judge ruled they be remanded for up to 72 hours while the court considers whether to grant a British extradition request, which the parents are resisting. Ashya's condition is said to be stable in M?laga.

Juan Isidro Fernandez Diaz, the couple's lawyer in Spain, said they were considering suing the NHS. He told BBC Radio 5 Live: "They are going to prepare legal demands against the hospital in Southampton. Legal action will be against the hospital."

Clegg expressed support for calls for the Kings to be allowed access to Ashya, as a petition calling for their release neared 100,000 signatures.

"A little boy is on his own in a hospital, doesn't speak Spanish, is cut off from his parents and his siblings and I would like to see him together with his family as soon as possible," Clegg told BBC Breakfast.

Clegg said: "My heart goes out, and I'm sure every mum or dad will have the same response, which is, as far as I can make out, this is a family in a state of real anguish who have taken this exceptional step of moving their sick child to another country because they think that's what is best for their child.

"We can debate whether it is or is not but that seems to be their motive and those are not motives I can argue with.

"That's why I personally think that throwing the full force of the law at Mr and Mrs King, who appear to be doing what they believe to be best for their own family, I don't think is an appropriate thing to do. But that, at the end of the day, is for the police and the CPS and others to decide."

The London mayor, Boris Johnson, said on LBC radio: "It seems pretty obvious to me that the parents and the suffering child should be united and if they've got a plan to help cure their boy's illness then they should be supported in that. I've probably gone as far I can go, it sounds potty to me, frankly, but I don't know the details of the case.

"Every person's instinct will be that the parents have care of the child. Somebody's going to have to do some very, very lengthy explaining about what the hell went on here."

The comments came amid signs of a rethink by British authorities about how the Kings' case was handled.

The Kings took Ashya from the hospital on Thursday and travelled to France with him and his six siblings before heading to the Costa del Sol in southern Spain. Brett, 51, and Naghmeh, 45, were arrested in Velez-M?laga on Saturday night.

The couple say they hope to sell an apartment they own near M?laga to raise funds for the proton beam therapy.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...a-king-parents

The Crown Prosecution Service has told the high court that its wants to withdraw an arrest warrant for the mother and father of Ashya King, the five-year-old brain tumour patient currently in hospital in southern Spain as his parents are held in a Madrid jail awaiting possible extradition to the UK.

The change of heart came as the chief constable of Hampshire police, the force which sought the warrant via the CPS, described the current situation as "not right".

In a statement, Andy Marsh said: Irrespective of what has happened it is our view that Ashya needs both medical treatment and for his parents to be at his side. Our intent was to secure his safety, not to deny him family support at this particularly challenging time in his life."

The high court in London was told that the CPS sought to withdraw the European arrest warrant, imposed last week after Brett and Naghmeh King removed their son from a Southampton hospital against medical advice to seek alternative treatment abroad.

The parents are currently in separate wings of a prison in the Spanish capital pending possible extradition, while Ashya is alone at a children's hospital in M?laga, in the south of the country.
    More at link

the authorities totally fucked this shit up. how cruel.

I think this was a case of a particular doctor with a God complex, who was pissed off that someone questioned him as the all knowing and all powerful person he is in his own mind.

I think this was a case of a particular doctor with a God complex, who was pissed off that someone questioned him as the all knowing and all powerful person he is in his own mind.
    I've met a lot of Dr's in my time but I've only met one without a full blown case of malignant narcissism.

Dr's suck baaaaad

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    I agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

I'm glad to hear the boy is doing well. It's just awful what the family went through. Can you not fire your Dr. in the UK and seek treatment elsewhere? It's not like they were asking to send him to some place to have smoke blown in his ear while a chicken's blood was being poured on his body. Proton therapy is a legit thing, why were the Dr's in the UK so against letting him leave to get this treatment.

Thread Information