Thread: "Cops" Crew Member, Bryce Dion, 38, Killed By Police Bullet While Filming Armed Robbery in Omaha

"Cops" Crew Member, Bryce Dion, 38, Killed By Police Bullet While Filming Armed Robbery in Omaha

Can't find social media but there has to be some, so didn't want to put this in non-MDS

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/p...-company-says/

A veteran "Cops" sound supervisor who was critically injured while filming an armed robbery in Nebraska on Tuesday has died, the reality show's production company said Wednesday. Thirty-eight-year-old Bryce Dion was killed by a police officer's errant bullet during a shootout with a robbery suspect in Omaha.

"We are deeply saddened and shocked by this tragedy and our main concern is helping his family in any way we can," Pam Golum said in an e-mailed statement. "Bryce Dion was a long term member of the Cops team and a very talented and dedicated person. We mourn his passing. An investigation is ongoing and we are cooperating with local authorities."

Bryce Dion, courtesy of Langley Productions.
    At a Wednesday afternoon news conference, Omaha Police Chief Todd Schmaderer confirmed Dion's death, saying it was "an emotionally tough time for the "Cops" production crew family and the Omaha Police Department."

Dion, a "Cops" photographer and two Omaha police officers responding to a call for backup arrived at the scene of an armed robbery in progress about 9:20 on Tuesday night, Schmaderer said.

"Officers immediately confronted the robbery suspect, who was armed with a handgun," the police chief said. That handgun turned out to be an Airsoft pistol, which looks like a firearm but fires plastic bullets.

Believing the Airsoft gun to be loaded with live rounds, three officers returned fire on the masked suspect after he shot at them. In what the chief described as "a chaotic scene", Dion "got stuck in the vestibule" of the restaurant, as the photographer was able to take cover in the eating area of the facility.

Although "Cops" crew members wear protective vests while filming, Schmaderer said Dion, a seven-year veteran of the production crew, was hit by a single bullet in the left arm during the shootout. The bullet then "slipped in" between an open spot in the vest. An autopsy is still pending.

The bullet that killed Dion came from an officer's gun, Schmaderer said. "This was a friendly fire situation. It was an officer s round that struck Mr. Dion. Schmaderer couldn't confirm the exact number of bullets fired in the shootout, but denied that the volume of shots fired was "excessive."

Prompted by a reporter's question, Schmaderer called the idea that the officers were "showing off" for the cameras "ridiculous".

"Nobody wanted Bryce to get hurt. Nobody wanted anybody to get hurt", Schmaderer said. He also offered his condolences to the family of the deceased suspect, identified Wednesday as Cortez Washington.

The incident is being investigated, Schmaderer said. The three officers who fired at Washington, Detective Darren Cunningham and officers Brooks Riley and Jason Wilhelm are on paid leave pending the result of the investigation. The state will also convene a grand jury to examine the evidence. Portions of the shootout were filmed by the production crew. That footage is now evidence in the investigation. "Based on our view into the footage," Schmaderer added, "the officers had no choice" but to return fire

"Cops", which has been on the air since 1989, embeds production crews with police departments across the country. The proto-reality show has been filming in Omaha for about a month. In June, Schmaderer said he was "proud of the department and want the professionalism of our officers on display for the city and world to see," according to the Associated Press. John and Morgan Langley, the father-son executive producers of "Cops", said that their crew had another week of filming scheduled in Omaha, but that they weren't sure whether production would continue. Some crew members, they said, are currently in counseling
    Last edited by blighted star; 08-28-2014 at 04:11 AM. Reason: getting rid of the evil "" to ?????? conversion

The*bullet that killed Dion came from an officer?s gun, Schmaderer said. ?This was a friendly fire situation. It was an officer?s round that struck Mr. Dion.?*Schmaderer couldn?t confirm the exact number of bullets fired in the shootout, but denied that the volume of shots fired was ?excessive.?

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    If it weren't for the vest, I would just assume that dude saw something he wasn't supposed to see, so an "accident" had to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Did you notice the wording about how he came to be fatally injured - the officer shot him in the arm & then the bullet somehow "slipped" in between the vest. Clearly it was the bullet's fault for sneaking into things. If it had just stayed where the officer shot it, he would've been fine.

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    I had no idea that they still showed Cops.

Quote Originally Posted by Queena View Post
    It's been on since 1989.

I COPS.

Yes - & there's a fast-paced & exciting version from NZ (or should I say iNZid)

Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    It's been on since 1989.

I COPS.
    Really?? Every once in awhile they'll catch someone in a stolen car, but usually it's them harassing and arresting addicts over bullshit (when they should be getting them help).

I literally booooo when it's on.

It's noones job to get addicts help. They have to want to help themselves and if they break the law then well...

Back on topic RIP Bryce

Quote Originally Posted by Resident_Queer View Post
    It's noones job to get addicts help. They have to want to help themselves and if they break the law then well...

Back on topic RIP Bryce
    Yea, you have rocks in your pocket. Let me get my handcuffs.

Just having contraband is "breaking the law" you horse's ass. Freedom, can you taste it??

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    Yea, you have rocks in your pocket. Let me get my handcuffs.

Just having contraband is "breaking the law" you horse's ass. Freedom, can you taste it??

Really?? Every once in awhile they'll catch someone in a stolen car, but usually it's them harassing and arresting addicts over bullshit (when they should be getting them help).

I literally booooo when it's on.
    Why do you think I dislike the cops so much? because I watch COPS.

I laugh the hardest when they have cops that have the old mustaches and mullets. Some of the cops are so overweight- I feel bad, but I can't help LMAO when they are running after somebody.

Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    Why do you think I dislike the cops so much? because I watch COPS.

I laugh the hardest when they have cops that have the old mustaches and mullets. Some of the cops are so overweight- I feel bad, but I can't help LMAO when they are running after somebody.

Fair enough.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    I was just mentioning to the Husband last night that we used to LOVE watching "Cops" but now it just pisses us off. Times have changed.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

My husband is always watching the reruns. I get annoyed though, it's like they're all the same.

is this the first time someone from the crew was killed? If so, I'm surprised it took this long. The cameramen put themselves in danger every time they film...

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

My husband is always watching the reruns. I get annoyed though, it's like they're all the same.

is this the first time someone from the crew was killed? If so, I'm surprised it took this long. The cameramen put themselves in danger every time they film...
    I'm not going to act like NO aspect of the job is dangerous, but they basically film them as they toss the pockets of junkies, and set up stings to catch prostitutes.

I'm not going to act like NO aspect of the job is dangerous, but they basically film them as they toss the pockets of junkies, and set up stings to catch prostitutes.
    Exactly. COPS used to be fun to watch for me; then I realized most of it was set up to bust those who weren't typically dangerous. Most of the show was just situations with tidy outcomes that gave the police busy-work. There were, like, 500 prostitution stings a week with what seemed like the whole police department participating.

Quote Originally Posted by foreverintheflux View Post
    Exactly. COPS used to be fun to watch for me; then I realized most of it was set up to bust those who weren't typically dangerous. Most of the show was just situations with tidy outcomes that gave the police busy-work. There were, like, 500 prostitution stings a week with what seemed like the whole police department participating.
    Most of it IS because they need busy work. The "war on drugs" put the arrest numbers through the roof. Now it means more to arrest 20 weed smokers than 1 attempted murderer.

This explains it better than I ever could: http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/h...e-in/film.html

Most of it IS because they need busy work. The "war on drugs" put the arrest numbers through the roof. Now it means more to arrest 20 weed smokers than 1 attempted murderer.

This explains it better than I ever could: http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/h...e-in/film.html
    Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Queena View Post
    Yeah this is what blew my mind as well.

I'm in Omaha. There were 30 shots fired by police. It was all caught on video by COPS. I wonder if this video will be aired? They showed the airsoft gun the robber used on TV this am. It looks like a real gun to me, so I don't fault the police for shooting an unarmed man. I think if I pointed a green supersoaker at the police they would shot me dead...no doubt.

Further bad news for the city. The contract between COPS and the city expired 4 days before the shooting.

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/C...273041651.html

Bullets from the shootout damaged other nearby businesses. I'm surprised more people didn't die. The tanning salon next door had bullets rip through their building and lodge in the tanning booths.

I don't think there's anything wrong with shooting someone holding one of those. That is NOT the same as being unarmed. Not by a long shot.

It does seem like a bit of overkill considering no one was actually shooting at them.

But shooting at people waving guns around is what they're actually being paid for.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    I don't think there's anything wrong with shooting someone holding one of those. That is NOT the same as being unarmed. Not by a long shot.

It does seem like a bit of overkill considering no one was actually shooting at them.

But shooting at people waving guns around is what they're actually being paid for.
    Agree. THAT looks like a real gun to me and in the field it is understandable that the cops would react to it. I agree the whole "let's empty everything we've got on it" is overkill. But I can't blame them for using force when they saw that.
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

wibbly wobbly timey wimey Seraphim's Avatar
    Am I the only one shocked that this hasn't happened before?

Thread Information