Thread: Chef Peng Fang Died When He Was Bitten By the Head of the Cobra He Was Preparing As A Speciality Dish

Chef Peng Fang Died When He Was Bitten By the Head of the Cobra He Was Preparing As A Speciality Dish

Fang?

http://latest.com/2014/08/chinese-ch...pecialty-dish/

A Chinese chef is dead after having a run in with his specialty dish. Peng Fang from Shunde, a district in the city of FoshanQin southern China?s Guangdong province, had already butchered an Indochinese spitting cobra and prepared the carcass to put in soup when diners heard screams coming from the kitchen.

Apparently, he had picked up the severed head to throw it into the trash, when the head ? chopped from the body for nearly 20 minutes ? clamped down on his hand. One restaurant patron described the chaotic scene. ?We were in the restaurant having a meal for my wife?s birthday when suddenly there was a lot of commotion,? the diner said. ?We did not know what was happening but could hear screams coming from the kitchen.? Unfortunately for the chef, the venom of the spitting cobra is highly lethal. There was no time to get him safely to the hospital to receive the anti-venom.

The police say the attack was just bad luck. ?It is a highly unusual case but it appears to be just an accident. He prepared the snake himself and was just unlucky,? a local police spokesperson said.??There was nothing that could be done to save the man. Only the anti-venom could have helped, but this was not given in time. It was just a tragic accident.?

An expert on cobras also said that while fatal bites like Peng?s are thankfully rare, severed snake heads can attack for up to an hour after being decapitated. ?It is perfectly possible that the head remained alive and bit Peng?s hand,? snake expert Yang Hong Chang said. ??By the time a snake has lost its head, it?s effectively dead as basic body functions have ceased, but there is still some reflexive action.?

Despite the fatal accident, one local said they still plan on enjoying their tasty and highly poisonous snake treat. ?Snake meat is really good for us. It is not so easy to get and is expensive but it has spectacular health benefits,? the local said, despite the chef?s fate

The DM has lots of gross snake dismemberment pictures which give me the impression the writer doesn't like snakes much - like I can't see them printing pics of a live kitten or duckling with a pair of bloody scissors clamped into their neck. I'm not much into snakes but the pix were bit more graphic than I was expecting from them. Pretty shitty too if you bother to get to the last paragraph & discover the animal being chopped up conscious in so many different ways is actually listed as vulnerable now because of this
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-head-off.html

Indochinese spitting cobras are indigenous to Southeast Asia, including Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos and Burma. Their flesh is a much sought after delicacy and the skin is used to make expensive designer goods, a trade which has no doubt contributed to their 'vulnerable' conservation status.

Residents of the Guangdong province have a long history of enjoying snake meats of all sorts in local culinary dishes. For many centuries it has been commonly served up in a soup, and is also taken as part of Chinese medicine, for it is believed that snake meat can cure ailments. A sort of 'what doesn't kill you makes you stronger' concept - the more poisonous the delicacy, the more beneficial it is to the body.

One local said: 'Snake meat is really good for us. It is not so easy to get and is expensive but it has spectacular health benefits.' 'I have never heard any cases of a dead snake killing anyone, especially not in the kitchen.'

2 things my nana taught me when I was little

- there's no such thing as an unloaded gun.

- there's no such thing as a dead snake

(not even when you took a shovel to it's head a week ago)
    Last edited by blighted star; 08-27-2014 at 02:18 AM.

wibbly wobbly timey wimey Seraphim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post

2 things my nana taught me when I was little

- there's no such thing as an unloaded gun.

- there's no such thing as a dead snake

(not even when you took a shovel to it's head a week ago)
    Your nana was/is a smart woman. My husband recently had a rattler show up at his worksite. It was HUGE. You dont mess around with shit like that. Ugh

I had no idea they could still bite up to an hour after being decapitated. If he prepared them often, wouldn't he have known that?

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

someone posted a video on facebook recently with a snake head that latched on to it's own body after decapitation. it was trippy.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    someone posted a video on facebook recently with a snake head that latched on to it's own body after decapitation. it was trippy.
    Whoa, I wanna see!

yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    Whoa, I wanna see!
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Dang, that IS hella trippy. I didn't realize their body/tail end moved like that after decapitation also. Gave me the heebie jeebies.

Bwahahaha-the irony of his name cracks me up! You can't make this stuff up.

You would have thought he would have known the risks if he prepared it often.

I feel like Mother Nature has made it very clear that there are certain critters we should never, ever fuck with ... like cobras.

Hell, thanks to Rikki Tikki Tavi, I've know since I was a tiny kid that you shouldn't fuck with a cobra.

I can't help but wonder if that chef was really paid enough to compensate for the risk involved in slaying venomous snakes. Geez.

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post

That's a big-ass copperhead right there. Ugh. Copperheads and water moccasins (cottonmouths) are the only venomous snakes we have to worry about around here. I've never seen one that big in the wild.

And, just for the fun of it, since we're talking about snakes ... our zoo had its very own VIRGIN BIRTH of a cottonmouth snake. It's a really big deal, y'all: https://plus.google.com/+ZooAtlanta/posts/3iAWKht3CLo

Oh look, I found a video of the holy snake:

Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by TupeloHoney View Post
    I feel like Mother Nature has made it very clear that there are certain critters we should never, ever fuck with ... like cobras.

Hell, thanks to Rikki Tikki Tavi, I've know since I was a tiny kid that you shouldn't fuck with a cobra.

I can't help but wonder if that chef was really paid enough to compensate for the risk involved in slaying venomous snakes. Geez.

That's a big-ass copperhead right there. Ugh. Copperheads and water moccasins (cottonmouths) are the only venomous snakes we have to worry about around here. I've never seen one that big in the wild.

And, just for the fun of it, since we're talking about snakes ... our zoo had its very own VIRGIN BIRTH of a cottonmouth snake. It's a really big deal, y'all: https://plus.google.com/+ZooAtlanta/posts/3iAWKht3CLo

Oh look, I found a video of the holy snake:

My son's first pet rat was named after Rikki Tikki Tavi !!

This is his actual edition

Thread Information