Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Brown, 18, Was Shot Dead By Police In St. Louis

Michael Brown, 18, Was Shot Dead By Police In St. Louis

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1.../p2p-81045571/

Hundreds of people gathered in the street outside an apartment complex in a St. Louis suburb on Saturday, screaming obscenities and ?kill the police? after a police officer shot and killed an 18-year-old man.

The victim was identified by relatives as Michael Brown, who was scheduled to begin college classes Monday, according to the St. Louis Post Dispatch.

Brown's grandmother, Desiree Harris, told the Associated Press that she was driving through the neighborhood Saturday afternoon when she saw her grandson running a few blocks from her house.

"He was running this way," she said. "When I got up there, my grandson was lying on the pavement. I asked the police what happened. They didn't tell me nothing."

A spokesman for the St. Louis County Police Department confirmed to the Associated Press that it was a Ferguson police officer who shot the man, but did not identify the officer and did not immediately give a reason for the shooting.

Calls by The Times to the police were not returned.

Louis Head, Brown?s stepfather, held a sign that said ?Ferguson police just executed my unarmed son!!!? the Post Dispatch reported. And Lesley McSpadden, Brown?s mother, said the shooting was ?wrong and it was cold-hearted.?

By early Saturday night, dozens of police cars remained parked near the shooting scene as mourners left votive candles at a makeshift memorial in the middle of the street.

At the height of the post-shooting tensions, police at the scene called for about 60 other police units to respond to the area in Ferguson, a city of about 21,000 residents, about two-thirds of whom are black, the AP reported.

The crowd eventually dispersed and police scheduled a news conference for Sunday morning.

?We are hurt to hear that yet another teenaged boy has been slaughtered by law enforcement especially in light of the recent death of Eric Garner in New York who was killed for selling cigarettes,? St. Louis County NAACP President Esther Haywood said in a statement. ?We plan to do everything within our power to ensure that the Ferguson Police Department as well as the St. Louis County Police Department releases all details pertinent to the shooting.?

Ferguson Police Chief Tom Jackson told KMOV, the St. Louis CBS-affiliate, that St. Louis County Police have taken over the investigation and the officer involved in the shooting has been put on paid administrative leave.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    I'm curious to see what the circumstances are behind this. The kid was starting College on Monday. He obviously had his life in order. How very sad
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

FERGUSON, Mo. - An 18-year-old black man shot and killed by a suburban St. Louis police officer was unarmed, police said Sunday during a news conference that occurred while hundreds of angry protesters gathered outside to demand answers.

Police have not disclosed the name of the man who was killed, but family members say it was 18-year-old Michael Brown.

St. Louis County Police Chief Jon Belmar said at a news conference that an officer encountered two people on the street near an apartment complex Saturday afternoon in Ferguson, a predominantly black suburb a few miles north of downtown St. Louis.

Belmar said one of the men pushed the officer back into his squad car and a struggle began. Belmar said at least one shot was fired from the officer's gun inside the police car. Ferguson Police Chief Tom Jackson said authorities were still sorting out what happened inside the police car.

The struggle spilled out into the street, where Brown was shot multiple times. Belmar said the exact number of shots wasn't known, but "it was more than just a couple." He also said all shell casings found at the scene matched the officer's gun. Police are still investigating why the officer shot Brown, who police have confirmed was unarmed.

Jackson said the second person has not been arrested or charged and was expected to be interviewed later Sunday. Authorities aren't sure if that person was unarmed, Jackson said.

A few hundred protesters gathered outside Ferguson Police headquarters about the time the news conference was to begin. At one point, many of them marched into an adjacent police building, some chanting "Don't shoot me" while holding their hands in the air.

Officers stood at the top of a staircase, but didn't use force; the crowd eventually left.

Protesters outside chanted slogans — "No justice, no peace" and "We want answers" — and some carried signs that read "Stop police terrorism" and "Disarm the police."

St. Louis County Police Department is in charge of the investigation. County Executive Charlie Dooley, who showed up at the protest
    Sunday to urge calm, said he will request an FBI investigation. U.S. Justice Department spokeswoman Dena Iverson said Sunday that

Attorney General Eric Holder had instructed attorneys in the department's civil rights division to monitor developments.

"We're outraged because yet again a young African-American man has been killed by law enforcement," said John Gaskin, who serves on both the St. Louis County and national boards of directors for the NAACP. "This is an issue everywhere in America. You never believe that this can happen in your town."

Critics have contended that police in the St. Louis area too often target young black men. Statistics on police-involved shootings in the region were not immediately available.

Gaskin made comments Saturday alluding to the 2012 racially charged shooting of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin by a Florida neighborhood watch organizer who was acquitted of murder charges, as well as the New York City man who died from a police chokehold.

The officer's race has not been disclosed. He has been with the Ferguson Police Department for six years, Belmar said, noting he wasn't aware of other issues involving the officer. He has been placed on paid administrative leave, which is a common procedure after police shootings.

Anthony Shahid, a community activist who led Sunday's protest, urged demonstrators to post videos and photos on social media so Monday's planned protests would draw thousands instead of hundreds.

"We're not worried about what's happening in Afghanistan," Shahid said. "We're worried about what's happening in Ferguson ... black youths being murdered."

Brown's grandmother, Desiree Harris, said Saturday she saw him minutes before she heard a commotion and went outside. She found Brown's body less than two blocks away.

"My grandson never even got into a fight," she said. "He was just looking forward to getting on with his life. He was on his way."

Several protesters were angry that Brown's body remained on the street for hours after the killing. Belmar said that officers "had to practice our due diligence and that's why it took as long as it did."

Relatives have said that Brown was a 2014 Normandy High School graduate who was to begin classes at Vatterott College on Monday.

http://www.newsday.com/news/nation/m...tcry-1.9018258

video at the link.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Yep. Another one. I hope that jury that let those Fullerton murderers walk are happy. They set a precedent and the cops are more than willing to follow it. It's a free for all

With all the protesting, how is this thread not more active (at least with updates.). Ron's asleep at the wheel

So sad. Is this happening more now or are we hearing more about it? Lets hope they punish that murderer. RIP Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    With all the protesting, how is this thread not more active (at least with updates.). Ron's asleep at the wheel
    I posted about it in the bad/good cop thread. I think. Now I am confused. It seems these stories are multiplying.

Here's the article I posted in that thread.

The officer who fatally shot unarmed Missouri teen Michael Brown in broad daylight on Saturday opened fire when the student's hands were raised and then 'stood over him and fired' when he lay wounded on the floor, according to witnesses. And during an emotional television interview on Monday evening, Benjamin Crump, the attorney for Brown's mother, Lesley McSpadden (top left), said that the teen was 'executed in broad daylight wearing sandals and shorts.' The shocking eyewitness account follows a promise by Ferguson police to name the officer involved in the 18-year-old's shooting by 2pm Tuesday. This self-imposed deadline followed an earlier announcement by the FBI that they would open their own investigation into the college students death amidst a night of fiery looting and rioting across the St. Louis suburb. That officer, who witnesses to the shooting claim is white, is currently on paid administrative leave following the death of the African American, who was shot up to eight times - including once in the face - during Saturday's incident while he was walking to his grandmothers.

Pictures and the long article at the link
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...stigation.html

Sorry Berm, I googled MDS & his name & it didn't get me any hits at all in the last few years. I should've actually checked in there first.

So there's been rioting & looting in the last 12 hrs, not just protests? Or are they exaggerating?

http://www.ksdk.com/story/news/local...mart/13884055/

FERGUSON, Mo. - Between 20 and 25 Walmart employees took shelter inside their Ferguson store Sunday night as rioting and looting ran rampant in the area around them. A Walmart store employee told NewsChannel 5 the store was overrun by looters. Officers barricaded the front of the store, but many looters had already made their way inside the store. The employee said they smashed glass cases containing electronics, and stole all of the televisions.

Photos taken by NewsChannel 5 photographers show toilet paper strewn across sections of the parking lot. By the time our crews arrived at the Walmart, the store was empty and police had established a presence outside to prevent further looting. Early Monday morning officers were still patrolling the store. The store did not reopen Monday morning; employees are cleaning up the inside of the store.

Someone was doing a live feed but they reckon it's quietened down mostly, no more gunshots etc

http://www.reddit.com/live/tdrph3y49ftn/

Just Walmart? I can't tell what store it is. You guys will have a better idea

ETA removed vid due to it being bullshit (ie featuring pix from incidents other than Ferguson to make it look worse)
    Last edited by blighted star; 08-15-2014 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    I posted about it in the bad/good cop thread. I think. Now I am confused. It seems these stories are multiplying.

Here's the article I posted in that thread.
    HOLY CRAP! This is beyond unacceptable! Not only was he unarmed but had his hands in the air and was compliant? It's a police state. Period . They were let do what they want and now they'll continue to do it. This fucking pisses me off!

Wow. This was in the live feed. Wonder how his (or some completely unrelated & extremely unfortunate person's) night went

! POSTERS: Anonymous has released sensitive information regarding the chief of police. I urge you to not post the document in the live thread. The document contains information that could be used to harm the Chief and his family. It could also be wrong and cause a random family to be targeted

happy to see a thread has been made, i didn't see it when i searched yesterday. and i hate starting threads.

this shit is beyond fucked. but it surely isn't the first time we've seen it. i've been working my ass off the last few days, but i was wondering if the president has said anything about this? i should search more.

i hope justice is served, though i'm not exactly sure what that would look like. they should have their badges taken away, to start. but i won't hold my breath, because these guys almost always get away with it. but you guys already know that.

There's tweets hitting that live feed again. One says the Ferguson Police Chief has told local news that there is no footage of actual incident between the officer and Mike Brown & that he won't name the officer involved - I thought they had to?
    They don't have cameras in their squad cars?

Also, is it commonplace to have the FBI involved this soon after a police shooting?

(can't copy)

http://fox2now.com/2014/08/11/fbi-ta...oting-of-teen/

tons of info, photos, tweets, and videos on this link:

http://revolution-news.com/ferguson-...racist-system/

watt's riots began on august 11, 1965. almost 50 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by emmieslost View Post
    i hope justice is served, though i'm not exactly sure what that would look like. they should have their badges taken away, to start. but i won't hold my breath, because these guys almost always get away with it. but you guys already know that.
    Cases like this are why we seriously need cop cams. Did the kid do ANTHING that might have triggered a response in the cops? In the absence of video or a credible witness (credible to both sides I mean, and who would that be?) the survivors get to tell the story. I'm sure that when this goes to court, if it does, the kid will have been aggressive, threatening and looking armed. He will have been a threat that you'd surely hate to see on your porch late at night eh? And maybe he was. Maybe he was the gangbanging thug he will be portrayed as who shoved, pushed, swung at a cop and deserved for force to be met (sadly) with force. It happens. Maybe he was just a kid, (maybe smart mouthed?) who ran into the wrong cops at the wrong time. God knows young men can push the buttons of the cops when they get going. Or maybe he did absolutely nothing wrong. I'd love to see justice done, but I'm pretty sure we won't. The cops will tell their side, the kid's family and friends will tell their side and neither one is likely close to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

this is why the cops need to be photographed and filmed.

i saw this today:

NYPD cops receive memo reminding them they can be filmed while on duty

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...#ixzz3ABo4V3wm

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I'm curious to see what the circumstances are behind this. The kid was starting College on Monday. He obviously had his life in order. How very sad
    http://www.theroot.com/articles/cult...k_victims.html

Black Kids Don’t Have to Be College-Bound for Their Deaths to Be Tragic
    Missouri teen Michael Brown was unarmed when police gunned him down. We don’t need to keep talking about his college plans to communicate that his killing was dead wrong.
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

There's a really long witness account here. It gives a different version of how the officer was "assaulted"

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/eyewitnes...oting-missouri

ETA & to answer your question re did he do anything Puz, according to witnesses, he most certainly did. When the officer angrily slammed his door open, it hit Michael & bounced back onto the officer. I guess that would be embarrassing if you were trying to be authoritative & intimidating.
    Last edited by blighted star; 08-12-2014 at 07:26 AM.

ith seemingly no direct evidence this is going to be a difficult one. Both the community and the police are circling the wagons, so to speak. Puzz said it all brilliantly and I fully agree. All I have to add is:

"I'm for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for justice, no matter who it is for or against. I'm a human being, first and foremost, and as such I'm for whoever and whatever benefits humanity as a whole." Malcolm X

This is great.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ocial-facebook

If they gunned ME down what picture would they use? African American take to Twitter to protest media's choice of image to portray shot teen Michael Brown

I think the remarks about him being college bound are both a marker as to his youth, in that he was just about to begin college (saying 18 tends to not do this all the time IMO) and that he had his life ahead of him. It also helps give him more of an identity.

It absolutely is no different if an unarmed and innocent (if that is the case) McDonalds worker, unemployed 5 time by 5 mamas baby daddy, drug dealer or church going choir boy were shot. A senseless death is always sad and cause for review as to why and how it could and did happen.

I agree about the photos used too. My mom once wrote into the local DC affiliate news channel to remark that victims always have happy, nice, photos wherein suspects have harsh photos (often jail photos) which can cause prejudicial opinions. This happens with certain victims now too, especially in the age of all access social media. The news affiliate did write back and gave an explination, which made sense, but said they would try to change the practice. And they did. I was proud of her, and 100% agree.

When white people get shot, they're a victim. When people of color get shot, we're the ones who are put on trial.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    http://www.theroot.com/articles/cult...k_victims.html

Black Kids Don?t Have to Be College-Bound for Their Deaths to Be Tragic
    Missouri teen Michael Brown was unarmed when police gunned him down. We don?t need to keep talking about his college plans to communicate that his killing was dead wrong.
    Who said anything about being Black had anything to do with it? I don't care what color he was. The fact that he was a teenager starting College indicates that he wasn't as prone to cause trouble which supports the early speculation that the cops had no reason to shoot him.

ANY KID OF ANY COLOR CAN COMMIT CRIMES.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    When white people get shot, they're a victim. When people of color get shot, we're the ones who are put on trial.
    Kelly Thomas was put on trial. He wasn't black.

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    There's a really long witness account here. It gives a different version of how the officer was "assaulted"

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/eyewitnes...oting-missouri

ETA & to answer your question re did he do anything Puz, according to witnesses, he most certainly did. When the officer angrily slammed his door open, it hit Michael & bounced back onto the officer. I guess that would be embarrassing if you were trying to be authoritative & intimidating.

What irritates me is this whole thing might have been avoided if the kids just moved out of the street and on to the sidewalk. Granted, cops should not yell or swear at people (allegedly), but what would have it hurt to just move over to the sidewalk? I strongly believe every cop should wear a camera to protect themselves and others. I also believe cops should be taught shooting to kill is NOT always necessary. They also should have more evaluations to keep egos in check, which might have been a problem in this situation. I am glad the FBI is involved and hopefully we will find out more soon.

About 20 minutes before the shooting, Johnson said he saw Brown walking down the street and decided to catch up with him. The two walked and talked. That’s when Johnson says they saw the police car rolling up to them.

The officer demanded that the two “get the f—k on the sidewalk,” Johnson says. “His exact words were get the f—k on the sidewalk.”

After telling the officer that they were almost at their destination, Johnson’s house, the two continued walking. But as they did, Johnson says the officer slammed his brakes and threw his truck in reverse, nearly hitting them.

Now, in line with the officer’s driver’s side door, they could see the officer’s face. They heard him say something to the effect of, “what’d you say?” At the same time, Johnson says the officer attempted to thrust his door open but the door slammed into Brown and bounced closed. Johnson says the officer, with his left hand, grabbed Brown by the neck.

Thread Information