Page 16 of 39 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Brown, 18, Was Shot Dead By Police In St. Louis

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/08/19/us...rticle_sidebar

CNN) Aug 20 2014 16:48 -- While protesters in Ferguson, Missouri, are demanding justice for the killing of Michael Brown by police, questions are being asked about the man who at the moment is responsible for pursuing any prosecution and whether he can be impartial.

Some residents and community leaders contend St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney Robert McCulloch has deep ties to the police and has favored law enforcement in criminal cases.

Missouri State Sen. Jamilah Nasheed launched a petition that now has more than 26,000 signatures to remove McCulloch from the case and replace him with a special prosecutor to handle any criminal case arising from the August 9 shooting of Brown, an African-American who was unarmed when killed by a white police officer
    <<snipped>>

McCulloch, however, has indicated that he is going nowhere and plans to do his job. CNN has sought to interview him, but the request has not been granted. But in a radio interview with with McGraw Millhaven on KTRS, McCulloch promised a comprehensive and fair investigation.

"We will be presenting absolutely everything to this grand jury. Every statement that a witness made, every witness, every photograph, every piece of physical evidence. Absolutely nothing will be left out so the grand jury is making their decision based upon absolutely everything and we'll go from there," McCulloch said Wednesday. The grand jury will be given evidence as early as Wednesday, a process that could last until the middle of October, McCulloch said.

Critics question McCulloch's dedication to a fair outcome and some have said he has moved too slowly.
    The officer "should be charged and arrested. It's been over a week now," Patricia Bynes, the Democratic Party committeewoman for Ferguson Township, told CNN. We are "motivated to have a transparent case that's accountable to the community and to make sure justice is done at every level," Bynes said.

Bynes said McCulloch's ties with police in the county could cloud his judgment. McCulloch's father was a police officer and was killed on the job in 1964 by an African-American man, when McCulloch was 12, McCulloch's spokesperson Ed Magee confirmed to CNN. In addition to his father, McCulloch's brother, an uncle and a cousin all served with the St. Louis Police Department, and his mother worked as a clerk at the department, Magee said.

McCulloch, who as a teenager lost a leg to cancer, made it his career ambition to become a prosecutor. He was quoted by the St. Louis Post-Dispatch as telling a reporter, while first campaigning for the office: "I couldn't become a policeman, so being county prosecutor is the next best thing." McCulloch has no plans to step aside and Magee said it doesn't have any impact on how he will handle the current case.

"I have absolutely no intention of walking away from duties and the responsibilities entrusted in me by the people of this community," McCulloch said during the radio interview. While the Justice Department is conducting its own civil rights investigation, Ferguson elected officials are concerned about the local investigation. McCulloch has overseen controversial cases before, some including police officers and black suspects.

Petition link :

Investigate the Murder of Michael Brown Petition by Jamilah Nasheed To be delivered to Robert P. McCulloch, St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney The death of Michael Brown at the hands of Ferguson, MO police has stoked tensions and caused unrest across our community, state, and nation. This racially charged climate demands an independent, impartial investigation that the St. Louis County Prosecutor's office simply cannot provide. There are currently 74,362 signatures. NEW goal - We need 75,000 signatures!

http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/app...&r_by=11088158

Come on guys, take em over 75,000 ETA (I get confused with time zones, how fast have they jumped 50,000 signatures? roughly 6 hrs?)
    Last edited by blighted star; 08-20-2014 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    I was watching a documentary on the history channel about the KKK with two of my friends. One of the Klan guys said their site had 10,000 hits in the first week or something. My (white) friend yells "cause of people like Ron!" guilty!

I introduced MDS to www.chimpout.com

I accidentally ended up there this week researching the Bali case.

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    <<snipped>>

Meanwhile they reckon journalists are still being threatened in Ferguson. They say this is the press area & not during curfew, but I have no way to verify it yet. It's definitely a death threat made with a loaded weapon though

ETA & yes, the guys do seem like complete & utter wankers, but there's probably a law against killing them/threatening to kill them regardless
    Update on Officer Go Fuck Yourself http://www.thewire.com/national/2014...f-duty/378877/

AUG 20, 2014 4:35PM ET / MICHAEL BROWN SHOOTING ACLU: Officer Who Threatened to 'F*cking Kill' Ferguson Protesters Taken Off Duty

Can't embed this -

It includes an account from the person so far described as the best independant witness

http://www.msnbc.com/the-last-word-w...s-320358979897
    There is an ongoing investigation. The only reliable witnesses are those who've made official statements to LE. After that they are told not to discuss it with the media in order to keep the investigation "clean." It's the same reason witnesses are not allowed to sit in court while other witnesses are testifying. Someone chatting with the media is not a reliable witness.

I get most of my news from TV coverage, so I couldn't give dates or links to articles. When I have a link, I post it. The police chief made the statement at a news conference, before the highway patrol took over the security.

One more thing, the prosecutor is an ELECTED official and has been on the job a pretty long time. The mayor of Ferguson was also elected by the people. He said the reason there aren't more black police officers is because they haven't applied for the jobs. He also said the town doesn't pay the cops enough. If the people of Ferguson had problems with the way the town was run, they could have voted for change.

Last night was the first peaceful night in town since the shooting. Mostly because the clergy came out to help keep the peace.

The police chief's statement came days later so maybe that was the earliest. Even if you saw it on tv, others would be posting it online immediately. There might be something earlier out there, but I can't find it.

This just started being posted though. I don't know how accurate it is

BREAKING.<<speculation snipped>> We can now confirm that Special Operations Contractors, former military personnel, have now been hired by federal authorities in the DHS to “assist in security” for Ferguson Missouri. Contractors from Asymmetric Solutions have been hired: ST. LOUIS August 20, 2014 Missouri-based private security contractor Asymmetric Solutions, which employs elite former U.S. military special operators, tweeted Tuesday afternoon that the company is deploying a “high threat team in our own city”. The highly specialized unit should be in place by tomorrow 8/21/14

Here is a statement from the Assymetric Facebook page

We have staff working to augment an outside security detail of an individual who is visiting the Ferguson, MO area from outside the state. We are not working to protect the state, police, individuals who are exercising their right to speak and assemble, or to keep peace in any way. Normally our security services group is needed only in the most high threat of environments. We are saddened that they are required in the area. This incident is not representative of what is normally a peaceful and harmonious city full of good people.

We hope it is resolved quickly. We’ve been to Baghdad, Kabul, KL, Peshwar, etc. never would have thought we would deploy a high threat team in out own backyard.” Asymmetric Solutions is capable of deploying highly qualified former special operations personnel with a variety of subject matter expertise, anywhere on the globe in a moments notice. Our teams are capable of providing: High Threat Personnel or Site Security.
    (emphasis mine)
    Last edited by blighted star; 08-20-2014 at 11:41 PM.

bstar - Michael Brown was killed on Aug.9th around noon. The police chief's conference was early the next morning and animosity posted an article about it. There is a link to the video. There was a question and answer session after the statement that is not in the video. That is when he answered about the cop's condition.

By the way, this happened in Ferguson, MO, near St. Louis. You can street view it on Google maps, it looks like a quiet little town. I feel really sad for what those people, the place will never be the same again.

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    FERGUSON, Mo. - An 18-year-old black man shot and killed by a suburban St. Louis police officer was unarmed, police said Sunday during a news conference that occurred while hundreds of angry protesters gathered outside to demand answers.

Police have not disclosed the name of the man who was killed, but family members say it was 18-year-old Michael Brown.

St. Louis County Police Chief Jon Belmar said at a news conference that an officer encountered two people on the street near an apartment complex Saturday afternoon in Ferguson, a predominantly black suburb a few miles north of downtown St. Louis.

Belmar said one of the men pushed the officer back into his squad car and a struggle began. Belmar said at least one shot was fired from the officer's gun inside the police car. Ferguson Police Chief Tom Jackson said authorities were still sorting out what happened inside the police car.

The struggle spilled out into the street, where Brown was shot multiple times. Belmar said the exact number of shots wasn't known, but "it was more than just a couple." He also said all shell casings found at the scene matched the officer's gun. Police are still investigating why the officer shot Brown, who police have confirmed was unarmed.

Jackson said the second person has not been arrested or charged and was expected to be interviewed later Sunday. Authorities aren't sure if that person was unarmed, Jackson said.

A few hundred protesters gathered outside Ferguson Police headquarters about the time the news conference was to begin. At one point, many of them marched into an adjacent police building, some chanting "Don't shoot me" while holding their hands in the air.

Officers stood at the top of a staircase, but didn't use force; the crowd eventually left.

Protesters outside chanted slogans ? "No justice, no peace" and "We want answers" ? and some carried signs that read "Stop police terrorism" and "Disarm the police."

St. Louis County Police Department is in charge of the investigation. County Executive Charlie Dooley, who showed up at the protest
    Sunday to urge calm, said he will request an FBI investigation. U.S. Justice Department spokeswoman Dena Iverson said Sunday that

Attorney General Eric Holder had instructed attorneys in the department's civil rights division to monitor developments.

"We're outraged because yet again a young African-American man has been killed by law enforcement," said John Gaskin, who serves on both the St. Louis County and national boards of directors for the NAACP. "This is an issue everywhere in America. You never believe that this can happen in your town."

Critics have contended that police in the St. Louis area too often target young black men. Statistics on police-involved shootings in the region were not immediately available.

Gaskin made comments Saturday alluding to the 2012 racially charged shooting of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin by a Florida neighborhood watch organizer who was acquitted of murder charges, as well as the New York City man who died from a police chokehold.

The officer's race has not been disclosed. He has been with the Ferguson Police Department for six years, Belmar said, noting he wasn't aware of other issues involving the officer. He has been placed on paid administrative leave, which is a common procedure after police shootings.

Anthony Shahid, a community activist who led Sunday's protest, urged demonstrators to post videos and photos on social media so Monday's planned protests would draw thousands instead of hundreds.

"We're not worried about what's happening in Afghanistan," Shahid said. "We're worried about what's happening in Ferguson ... black youths being murdered."

Brown's grandmother, Desiree Harris, said Saturday she saw him minutes before she heard a commotion and went outside. She found Brown's body less than two blocks away.

"My grandson never even got into a fight," she said. "He was just looking forward to getting on with his life. He was on his way."

Several protesters were angry that Brown's body remained on the street for hours after the killing. Belmar said that officers "had to practice our due diligence and that's why it took as long as it did."

Relatives have said that Brown was a 2014 Normandy High School graduate who was to begin classes at Vatterott College on Monday.

http://www.newsday.com/news/nation/m...tcry-1.9018258

video at the link.

Quote Originally Posted by The Crone View Post
    bstar - Michael Brown was killed on Aug.9th around noon. The police chief's conference was early the next morning and animosity posted an article about it. There is a link to the video. There was a question and answer session after the statement that is not in the video. That is when he answered about the cop's condition.

By the way, this happened in Ferguson, MO, near St. Louis. You can street view it on Google maps, it looks like a quiet little town. I feel really sad for what those people, the place will never be the same again.

Lol. What an idiot. My MDS time was set to Pacific. When it shows today/yesterday on posts, I'm forgetting to take a day off for Sydney time when I figure out the date. I really am having some incredibly stupid moments this week.

I will now re-read & see if I can find anything more detailed about the injuries using the correct dates.

& I agree re this town. It affected me more watching it live last week because usually we can tell when we're looking at an American town ie what see over & over via Disney/TV etc. Not Ferguson though, it looks like the Australian suburbs. The homes, the frontyards, trees down the footpaths, it looks exactly like the area where I grew up. It shouldn't make a difference but it does. When it looks just like your own suburb, it makes it a lot more real.

The other Ferguson shooting has had absolutely everything released & I can't remember if it was posted already. At the rate I'm going it probably has been, but just in case, here's the link

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=df3_1408576637

Unless there are major details missing, I can't see how this one was ever going to end any other way under the circumstances. Mentally ill people who pick up knives & ignore police instructions get shot the world over no matter who they are & he was way too close too fast.

But I don't understand why they felt the need to handcuff a dead body in full view of the shoppers who just watched him shot 12 times. It seems a little inflammatory under the best of circumstances & Ferguson this week sure doesn't fit that description.

Does anyone know if it's standard practice to handcuff the dead in officer-involved shootings? I get it if you're not sure they're just unconscious or playing possum, but I think it was pretty obvious in this case.
    Last edited by blighted star; 08-21-2014 at 02:06 AM.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

http://huff.to/1Byg6DU

I cannot even deal with this story anymore.

Has this got a thread? It's pretty crazy. He killed the suspect, which wouldn't normally be a problem except that he also killed a young woman bystander and hit his own lieutenant in the leg? If the story's accurate of course. I doubt this guy's Lietutenant is going to feel inclined to defend him now, so it probably is

http://mynews13.com/content/news/cfn...icer_shoo.html

Has this got a thread? It's pretty crazy. He killed the suspect, which wouldn't normally be a problem except that he also killed a young woman bystander and hit his own lieutenant in the leg? If the story's accurate of course. I doubt this guy's Lietutenant is going to feel inclined to defend him now, so it probably is

http://mynews13.com/content/news/cfn...icer_shoo.html
    Ah, Florida...

they are actually saying indicted.
    Last edited by animosity; 08-21-2014 at 11:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

I just read somewhere that the fractured eye thing is false. Can anyone confirm?

Multiple sources are reporting on a CNN broadcast refuting Fox's claims

Think this is the original

ETA Ugggh. Nope. Back soon

Cnn had a "breaking news" segment this afternoon saying that the officer did not sustain a fracture to the orbital bone .... there was swelling of the face only. I do not have a link though but they reported the fx was a false rumour.

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves" .. Confucius
    "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation " ...... Henry David Thoreau

This.

ETA

No.

Ahhhhh. My pasting is screwy.

This

(so glad it worked that time. I seem to get extremely stupid everytime I open this thread)
    Last edited by blighted star; 08-21-2014 at 03:47 PM.

Anyone seen this? Another St Louis officer shooting. I have not read this whole thread, I apologize if this is repetitive.
    Seems like this guy was trying to suicide by cop... but I agree with the camera man, they could have tazed him right?

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/cel...sion-shooting/

Quote Originally Posted by M Joy View Post
    Anyone seen this? Another St Louis officer shooting. I have not read this whole thread, I apologize if this is repetitive.
    Seems like this guy was trying to suicide by cop... but I agree with the camera man, they could have tazed him right?

I posted a Liveleak link but couldn't embed it so this is better. Re tazing, maybe, but it wasn't going to happen on that day in that town. Tazers don't always work, some people just carry on like nothing happened & there was barely any distance between them. That whole 21 foot rule thing was going to be the decider whether this guy lived or died & I expect he knew that. He looked like he was waiting for them.

There's never much sympathy for mentally ill people with knives, just check out the Sammy Yatim thread. http://mydeathspace.com/vb/showthrea...Toronto-Police

He was a lot further away, contained in a bus & only one out of something like 22 officers fired - & that one officer fired 9 times. Police then approached his body & tazed him. So at least 21 officers didn't think the situation required lethal force at that time. Even so, a lot of posters here argued it was a justified shooting. So this one makes me sad because people with mental illness so often get a hail of bullets instead of treatment, but in this place & time I don't think you could've expected anything else, & maybe nowhere ever. It happens in Australia, it happens in Canada, it happens in the U.K.

I do have a problem with them cuffing a dead body though. That's fucking ridiculous & an extremely bad decision to make in that particular town right now.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Multiple sources are reporting on a CNN broadcast refuting Fox's claims
    Shocking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Were you able to find any reports actually dated the first day, or even the second? I don't think they were making public statements the first day because it hadn't blown up yet (could be wrong though). I'm pretty sure police refusal to give any explanation was the reason the protests started to take off. I've tried & tried but I can't come up with anything posted in the first few days. Google results are different for every user though so it doesn't mean it's not out there, someone else might have better luck than me.

This was the earliest mention of the police publicly addressing this shooting that I could find

http://www.mediaite.com/online/watch...rown-shooting/

I'm really interested to see when & how it was first reported/described. Getting hit in the face with your car door causes facial swelling too - I know because I've been stupid enough to do it to myself 3 times. Did he go to hospital the first day? Was it photographed the first day? Or did he suddenly go to the hospital a few days later saying he didn't think it was that bad at first, but now he thinks he might need an xray.

I definitely remember mentions of "facial swelling" in news reports around the time this thread started to get regular posts, & his facial injury was mentioned here earlier, but the posts here & the first police statement were days after it actually happened. & as far as I'm aware, facial fractures were never mentioned at the press conferences LE held, (& footage of them was posted & analysed endlessly.

They were making these statements in MO in our local media. My friend is a photojournalist with local media, so I had heard about the shooting shortly after it happened and have gotten my news reports through him. He was presented with riot gear today (gas mask and helmet) as he will be shooting for his TV station tonight.

There are lots of non-Ferguson residents in Ferguson. National Guard is out. They want McCullough out because of bias.

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    That video...they could've tased him, or even tackled him. He was unarmed! There was no need to shoot. Then to handcuff him after he's dead? They did that to make him seem like a criminal. The police are like a gang of legitimate government paid thugs. They all need to be retrained, andneed to come up with a less deadly method of handling things.

Surely retraining is cheaper than paying off people, and the lawsuits.

Quote Originally Posted by Queena View Post
    That video...they could've tased him, or even tackled him. He was unarmed! There was no need to shoot. Then to handcuff him after he's dead? They did that to make him seem like a criminal. The police are like a gang of legitimate government paid thugs. They all need to be retrained, andneed to come up with a less deadly method of handling things.

Surely retraining is cheaper than paying off people, and the lawsuits.
    I thought that video was shocking in that it showed the speed of the police to shoot to kill within seconds..They bark orders at the man and when he does not comply the next move is to empty their revolvers. The St Louis are p.d. appears extremely trigger happy and especially if their verbal commands are not obeyed. The victim appeared to be a good distance from the
    officers when they opened fire on him.

Per CNN coverage last night these officers did have tasers but chose not to use them.
    It is alarming to me that a police dept is so cavalier with using deadly force.
    I think at the least the police officers of these two communities need psych evals.
    There appears to be some serious underlying issues with these cops. Conflict resolution to them is bang you're dead.
    Abuse of power is another element .....unbelievable

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves" .. Confucius
    "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation " ...... Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    I thought that video was shocking in that it showed the speed of the police to shoot to kill within seconds..They bark orders at the man and when he does not comply the next move is to empty their revolvers. The St Louis are p.d. appears extremely trigger happy and especially if their verbal commands are not obeyed. The victim appeared to be a good distance from the
    officers when they opened fire on him.

Per CNN coverage last night these officers did have tasers but chose not to use them.
    It is alarming to me that a police dept is so cavalier with using deadly force.
    I think at the least the police officers of these two communities need psych evals.
    There appears to be some serious underlying issues with these cops. Conflict resolution to them is bang you're dead.
    Abuse of power is another element .....unbelievable
    That's what is so funny when people say "oh, so cops just shoot people for nothing?"

They're always more than one of them, and one screams "put your hands up" while another says "don't move" and a third is saying "stop resisting."

Yeah, that video got me. I teared up.

Thread Information