Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Australian Couple leaves disabled baby with Thai surrogate mother

Australian Couple leaves disabled baby with Thai surrogate mother

Well-wishers on Friday had raised nearly $100,000 for a baby reportedly left with his surrogate Thai mother after his Australian parents discovered he had Down's Syndrome and returned home with his healthy twin sister.

Pattaramon Chanbua from Chonburi province, southeast of Bangkok, agreed via an agent to be a surrogate for the couple for a fee of Aus$16,000 ($14,900), giving birth to twins -- a boy and a girl -- in December, according to press reports.

But when the Australians discovered the boy, named Gammy by his surrogate family, had Down's Syndrome they abandoned him in Thailand and returned to Australia with only the healthy girl, Australia's ABC said.

"The money that was offered was a lot for me. In my mind, with that money, one, we can educate my children, two, we can repay our debt," said Pattaramon, already a mother to two children, in an interview with the broadcaster in Chonburi.

But instead the 21-year-old was left to care for the boy who also suffers from a life-threatening heart condition requiring expensive treatment she cannot afford, according to ABC.

"I don't know what to do. I chose to have him... I love him, he was in my tummy for nine months," she said in the interview.

Pattaramon has never met Gammy's Australian parents, according to Thai newspaper Thairath, which broke the story of Gammy last week, and their identities remain unknown.

"They (the surrogacy agency) told me to carry a baby for a family that does not have children... They said it would be a baby in a tube," she said.

A spokesman for Australia's foreign affairs department told AFP Canberra was "concerned" by the reports and was in consultation with Thai authorities over surrogacy issues.

"The alleged circumstances of the case raise broader legal and other issues relating to surrogacy in Thailand," he said.

Many foreign couples travel to Thailand, a popular medical tourism hub, to use its in-vitro fertilisation (IVF) services despite the unclear legal situation surrounding surrogacy.

Tares Krassanairawiwong, a Thai public health ministry official, said it was illegal to pay for surrogacy in Thailand.

"Surrogacy can be done in Thailand but it has to comply with the laws... A surrogate has to be related to the intended parents and no money can be involved."

The reports about Gammy's abandonment have triggered hundreds to donate to a fundraising page created for him last week.

By late Friday the "Hope for Gammy" page had raised more than $98,000.

It also carried scores of comments, many of which expressed outrage at the boy's abandonment by his parents.

"May this selfish and heartless couple be exposed and shamed for this horrible neglect!" said one.
    http://news.msn.com/world/australian...thai-surrogate

Now this article says they found out he had downs, and told her to abort, which she wouldn't because she's Buddhist

The unnamed couple used a surrogate after they were unable to conceive naturally. Ms Pattharamon became pregnant with twins and when tests at the four-month mark showed the baby boy, named Gammy, had Down syndrome the couple reportedly told her to have an abortion.
    Ms Pattharamon, a Buddhist, refused.
    When the twins were born in Bangkok the couple took Gammy?s sister ? who was born healthy ? home but refused to take the boy, Fairfax media reports.
    The couple reportedly paid $11,700 for Ms Pattharamon to be a surrogate and the surrogacy agency promised her another $1637 when it was discovered she was carrying twins.
    Ms Pattharamon never met the couple. She is now desperately trying to raise money to care for Gammy, who has a congenital heart condition and is critically ill.
    ?I would like to tell Thai women ? don?t get into this business as a surrogate. Don?t just think only for money ... if something goes wrong no one will help us and the baby will be abandoned from society, then we have to take responsibility for that,? she told Fairfax.
    http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/par...-1227009760126

Link for Hope for Gammy gofundme page: http://www.gofundme.com/bxci90

I'm interested to hear what people think about this. Did they have the right to abandon because they asked her to abort and she didn't?

Am I correct in understanding they took the healthy twin, and just left him behind???

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    What kind of VILE people do that? WTF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Maybe mother nature had the right idea

Senior Member TheFavoriteDaughter's Avatar
    Something I'm curious about is if she was only a gestational carrier or if she also donated the eggs. Not that either scenario would make them less horrible.
    Suzanne Knight (21) brutally raped and devoured 3 toddlers while on a meth binge before hanging herself Marky69: If those toddlers didnt want to be eaten then they shouldnt of looked so god damned delicious. RIP Suzanne

The surrogate said it was a test tube baby, so it sounds like it wasn't her egg.

Since this was done through a surrogacy agency, you would think that there would be contracts that would include conditions for terminations. It would be interesting to know what contract she entered into and how much the agency made for obtaining her services.

All I know is having a baby is not like picking out a Cabbage Patch doll. If it's supposed to be under the same conditions as giving birth yourself, you don't get the option of leaving behind your own baby at the hospital just because it doesn't live up to your expectations. This is terrible Babies aren't "made to order". They're just MADE. And any decent parent would love and accept their baby no matter what. These parents are terrible. Period. Later in, both children will figure out the truth and realize how shitty they were.

IDK. The whole story sounds a little twisted.

I think Gammie is a sweetie pie.

One of my friend's daughter sold her baby in some kind of a weird situation similar to this one. I'm not exactly sure of all the details, but the girl carried a baby for a couple and she made a lot of money. She got a check when she got pregnant, another check when she had the baby, and she got to go see the baby when it turned 1 to sign some final papers........and she received another huge check.

I just heard she was pregnant again.

These people are revolting & they must be shitting themselves at how big this story's getting. Someone is going to out them sooner or later.

There's no excuse for what they've done.

They could've at least brought him back to W.A & dumped him into foster care there. He'd get all the medical treatment he needs for free. His Thai family are not biologically related to him in anyway so he's basically in foster care anyway - it's just poverty-stricken Thai foster care, the perfect choice for a pale Caucasian kid with serious health problems.

How his biological parents thought it acceptable to not only leave their own son with no access to medical care but to also place a desperate 21 yr old Thai mum in the position of trying to feed their son as well as her own kids, is completely fucking incomprehensible to me.

Besides, that baby is gorgeous - how could anyone leave him?

The Gofundme is over $156,000 already - I wonder if his arsehole bio parents will have a sudden change of heart? If he was to be brought to Australia as the child of Aus citizens, Australia's Medicare will cover all his treatment - leaving >$156,000 in trust that "someone" will have to manage.(I doubt any amount of $$$ would tempt people like them to be seen with imperfect offspring, so I'm sure he's safe from them demanding him back)

ABC (Aus Broadcasting Corp) interviewed his Thai mum. There's a video at the link. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-0...les-to/5642478

& his Gofundme

http://www.gofundme.com/bxci90

I hope someone in authority is keeping a real close look on his sister's circumstances.

& there's a possible scary consequence to this couple's actions that no-one really wants to acknowledge. The Thai military seized paperwork from one clinic last week in the crackdown this case has caused. There are many surrogate pregnancies underway right now, but as of the crackdown they are illegal if the couple is not heterosexual, not legally married, not related to the surrogate. These babies are not bioloigically related to the women carrying them & they might not ever be leaving Thailand or even meeting their biological parents.

The couples going through the clinic whose files were seized now have no way of contacting their surrogate. The surrogate has no way of contacting them & the agency workers have only their memory to help match surrogate with couple - hopefully they only had one or two cases, if there were tens or 100's ...
    Last edited by blighted star; 08-02-2014 at 04:38 AM.

the comment on the end of that link suggests that she goes after the father for child support.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    the comment on the end of that link suggests that she goes after the father for child support.
    That's an excellent idea. I like that commentor. I like them a lot

This little boy is so gorgeous. I don't understand the kind of mentality it takes to leave him behind. And not only because ONE parent agreed to do it but BOTH. They obviously deserve each other. Unfortunately for the kids, they deserve better.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    What kind of VILE people do that? WTF.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    How his biological parents thought it acceptable to not only leave their own son with no access to medical care but to also place a desperate 21 yr old Thai mum in the position of trying to feed their son as well as her own kids, is completely fucking incomprehensible to me.
    Fuck that. She had a chance to abort.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Look at what Sherri Shepard has done. Her and her husband got a surrogate pregnant with his sperm. Now she wants to divorce him and wants NOTHING to do with the baby, that is due this month. She claims that he only wanted the child so he can get child support off her if they got divorced.

Most surrogacy now a days is made up of a donor egg, put into another donor womb. What kind of a connection does the adult-child get when they want to know about their maternal side of the family?

"Satisfaction of ones curiosity is one of the greatest sources of happiness in life" Linus Pauling

Tons of pictures and more of the article at the link. I just snipped some.

The couple, who have not been identified, insisted on Monday that the young woman they have seen on TV is not the same surrogate mother they met when they travelled to Thailand to collect their baby, born as the result of their fertilised egg being implanted into a Thai woman.
    Speaking off-camera to Perth's Channel Nine TV network, the Australian couple deny ever being aware that their daughter had a twin brother.
    And if their account turns out to be accurate, it would appear that the 21-year-old Thai woman who has given birth to baby Gammy and his sister is confused about who came to collect her baby daughter.
    But the scandal might also have erupted because of a mistake by the clinic where the twins were born, with the wrong baby girl being given to the Australian couple.

Channel Nine journalist Jerrie Damasi said she had spoken to the couple for an hour about the controversial case, which has seen them being savaged by critics around the world who have expressed disgust at a Down's syndrome child being abandoned.
    'They said they've looked at the (surrogate) woman in the footage on the television and that it's not the same surrogate they met with,' said Ms Damasi.
    'I have looked at their (daughter's) birth certificate - the date of this little girl and Gammy match up.
    'The name of the mother in Thailand and the name on the birth certificate is different…but the name on the birth certificate is actually the mother’s pre-marital name.'
    She said the couple 'claim they had no knowledge of the boy'.
    Ms Demasi added: 'They don’t really know where to go from here.
    'They are really confused and shocked.'
    Earlier the couple agreed they had brought back from Thailand a baby girl who was of similar age to the Down's syndrome boy, Gammy.
    But they denied that their daughter had a twin brother, adding that what they had been through in recent days as controversy raged around them amid claims they had abandoned Gammy had been 'traumatising'.
    Adding to the confusion, Ms Chanbua revealed on Sunday that the father - aged in his 50s - 'came to the hospital to take care of the girl but never looked Gammy in the face or carried him'.
    'The twins stayed next to each other but the father never looked at Gammy...could say he never touched Gammy at all,' she said from a Thai hospital where her son is being treated.
    Ms Chanbua added that the man brought milk for his daughter but not for Gammy.

The 21-year-old Thai woman has vowed to care for Gammy, who is critically ill and on Friday she told a Thai newspaper that she had fears for Gammy' survival given the severity of his condition.
    'I think the baby will not make it because his lung infection is too serious,' she told a Thai Rath reporter.
    However, her hopes for his survival have increased in the last few days since he began receiving treatment for a serious lung infection.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz39QjTTDkW
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Hmmmm, me thinks something is fishy here:

He also said that Ms Pattaramon was not the woman he believed to have carried his child and that he had had problems with the Thai agency, which has now shut down.
    Gammy's story could prompt the Australian government to look closer at surrogacy laws with the Department of Foreign Affairs already examining practices in Thailand.
    Agencies were working with Thai officials on the broader surrogacy issues, the department said.
    Mr Morrison said the legalities surrounding international surrogacy were ‘very, very, very murky’ and regulations must be looked at carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    Fuck that. She had a chance to abort.
    & I'd agree with you

- IF the "she" in question wasn't a poverty-stricken 21 yr old Thai girl & a strict Buddhist who was never asked if she'd be willing to undergo a termination.

I'm staunchly pro-choice. I'm even more staunchly atheist, but there is no fucking way I'd assume someone else was going to be OK with abortion. This couple did & that's their fuckup, not hers. They also waited til she was over 4 mths. A lot of people have trouble with terminations at that stage - even pro-choice atheists

She initially asked if she had to have sex with the surrogate father, that's how little she knew about the process, so I doubt it ever entered her mind that they'd suddenly ask her to terminate the baby they wanted. Are young mothers in her position even aware that there's testing that allows women from wealthier countries to opt out during a pregnancy, before the baby is born with x, y, z condition?

People who have gone through legitimate surrogate agencies say that the issue of termination is always included in the contract. It only goes ahead if the surrogate agrees to the parent's requirements, so if she'd initially agreed & then pulled this, I'd say fuck her too. But that's not what happened & this was not a surrogate on equal standing with this couple. The advantage was all theirs & that's why staff at the legitimate surrogacy agencies & the Australian consulate got involved in this case. This is not at all like a 21 yr old U.S or Australian mother in the same kind of situation & that's why it sux so badly.
    Last edited by blighted star; 08-04-2014 at 07:08 AM.

Re the parents version, it's always been possible the agency was playing both sides but - if they did do what she has said they've done, they're hardly going to admit that now that they've seen the reaction to the story. & if as he claims she's not the mother of their daughter, there must be another Australian couple? She gave birth to twins, so who has her little girl if she's not the woman who gave birth to his daughter?

Senior Member TheFavoriteDaughter's Avatar
    Not for nothing, but why the fuck do people still go to places like Thailand for something like this? I have never heard a good story coming from there.

it's cheaper and people are more desperate.

but really, you don't have a single friend who would do it for you?
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Father in this case has a criminal conviction for child indecency

We have forgotten how to be good guests; how to walk lightly on the earth as its other creatures do.

Ehh this whole thing smells shady to me. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was an extortion plot.

Could be complete & utter bullshit of course, but IF true that would explain not a single willing friend, avoiding the highly esteemed clinics in your country of residence & the shitty attitude toward kids. If it's true, then by speaking out & fighting the way she has, that young Thai mum - who they thought they could walk all over, has probably just saved the little girl she carried too.

ETA &if it's true, it explains Thailand as a choice over some of the other countries offering similar surrogacy arrangements.. It's the main destination for Australian men after a very particular kind of holiday.
    Last edited by blighted star; 08-04-2014 at 03:44 PM.

Told of the biological father's reported child-indecency conviction, Ms Pattharamon called for his sister to be brought back to her in Thailand.

?I am in shock after hearing this story," she told Fairfax Media from the hospital where a critically unwell Gammy is being treated for a lung infection. "I am very worried about my baby girl.?

?I need help from anyone who can bring my girl back to me as soon as possible . . . this news make me sick.

?I will take care of my twin babies. I will not give her or him to any family that wants a baby.? Earlier Ms Pattharamon challenged the father to appear with her on television after reports that he had denied abandoning Gammy, claiming a Thai clinic doctor only told him and his wife about the girl.

Earlier she said she would love this boy as if he was her own child? Was he not from her own egg?

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/report-t...#ixzz39TFIv13A

"Satisfaction of ones curiosity is one of the greatest sources of happiness in life" Linus Pauling

It's true. There's not a single Aus news source not running it.

"Mako files WA" is suddenly coming up as the top search on Google.

He'll be in here somewhere. Look for the guys in their 50's

http://www.mako.org.au/temp_wa.html

A quote from his wife -

http://m.themorningbulletin.com.au/n...ction/2340848/
    THE Australian father believed to be the dad of an IVF baby abandoned in Thailand has a criminal conviction for indecently dealing with a child. Channel Nine News*is reporting the crime involved a child under the age of 13, resulting in jail time for the father in 1998. His wife has confirmed to reporters that she is aware of his past but was "a good man and a good husband regardless", according to Channel Nine

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    Could be complete & utter bullshit of course, but IF true that would explain not a single willing friend, avoiding the highly esteemed clinics in your country of residence & the shitty attitude toward kids. If it's true, then by speaking out & fighting the way she has, that young Thai mum - who they thought they could walk all over, has probably just saved the little girl she carried too.

ETA &if it's true, it explains Thailand as a choice over some of the other countries offering similar surrogacy arrangements.. It's the main destination for Australian men after a very particular kind of holiday.
    I, personally, don't believe this young Thai woman is trying to extort anyone, as someone else suggested. Another story I read (but lost the link to) claimed the bio parents are in their 50's and could not bear the responsibility of a special needs child. Seriously? In your 50's and pay someone to carry a child for you? Their age alone should have made them think not once, not twice, and not even three times over about bringing ANY child into this world considering their ages and not being up to raising a child.

We have forgotten how to be good guests; how to walk lightly on the earth as its other creatures do.

Thread Information