Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ebola Epidemic

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    Coincidentally, this week I have just learned that my dad's family from out bush all had the Plague. They all survived, obviously or I wouldn't be here, but how weird can you get. I go 40+ years not knowing a damn thing about a huge chunk of my family & discover a story like this during the only major disease outbreak I've ever paid attention to. I guess it explains my strange obsession with the Black Death. Plague DNA is calling me ...

(it's OK guys, I don't really believe that. ... Mostly).
    i heard a rumor that people that have had ancestors survive the plague are immune to HIV.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Tracing Ebola's breakout to an African 2-Year-Old

(Aug. 9, 2014) Patient Zero in the Ebola outbreak, researchers suspect, was a 2-year-old boy who died on Dec. 6, just a few days after falling ill in a village in Gu?ck?dou, in southeastern Guinea. Bordering Sierra Leone and Liberia, Gu?ck?dou is at the intersection of three nations, where the disease found an easy entry point to the region.

A week later, it killed the boy's mother, then his 3-year-old sister, then his grandmother. All had fever, vomiting and diarrhea, but no one knew what had sickened them.

Two mourners at the grandmother's funeral took the virus home to their village. A health worker carried it to still another, where he died, as did his doctor. They both infected relatives from other towns. By the time Ebola was recognized, in March, dozens of people had died in eight Guinean communities, and suspected cases were popping up in Liberia and Sierra Leone -- three of the world?s poorest countries, recovering from years of political dysfunction and civil war.

In Gu?ck?dou, where it all began, "the feeling was fright," said Dr. Kalissa N'fansoumane, the hospital director. He had to persuade his employees to come to work.

On March 31, Doctors Without Borders, which has intervened in many Ebola outbreaks, called this one "unprecedented," and warned that the disease had erupted in so many locations that fighting it would be enormously difficult.

Now, with 1,779 cases, including 961 deaths and a small cluster in Nigeria, the outbreak is out of control and still getting worse. Not only is it the largest ever, but it also seems likely to surpass all two dozen previous known Ebola outbreaks combined. Epidemiologists predict it will take months to control, perhaps many months, and a spokesman for the World Health Organization said thousands more health workers were needed to fight it.

Some experts warn that the outbreak could destabilize governments in the region. It is already causing widespread panic and disruption. On Saturday, Guinea announced that it had closed its borders with Sierra Leone and Liberia in a bid to halt the virus's spread. Doctors worry that deaths from malaria, dysentery and other diseases could shoot up as Ebola drains resources from weak health systems. Health care workers, already in short supply, have been hit hard by the outbreak: 145 have been infected, and 80 of them have died.

Past Ebola outbreaks have been snuffed out, often within a few months. How, then, did this one spin so far out of control? It is partly a consequence of modernization in Africa, and perhaps a warning that future outbreaks, which are inevitable, will pose tougher challenges. Unlike most previous outbreaks, which occurred in remote, localized spots, this one began in a border region where roads have been improved and people travel a lot. In this case, the disease was on the move before health officials even knew it had struck.

Also, this part of Africa had never seen Ebola before. Health workers did not recognize it and had neither the training nor the equipment to avoid infecting themselves or other patients. Hospitals in the region often lack running water and gloves, and can be fertile ground for epidemics.

Public health experts acknowledge that the initial response, both locally and internationally, was inadequate.
    Much more at the link: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/10/wo...-year-old.html

Liberia gets Ebola drug; ponders who should get it

(Aug. 14, 2014) MONROVIA, Liberia ? Liberian officials faced an excruciating choice Thursday: deciding which handful of Ebola patients will receive an experimental drug that could prove life-saving, ineffective or even harmful.

ZMapp, the untested Ebola drug, arrived in the West African country late Wednesday. Assistant Health Minister Tolbert Nyenswah said three or four people would begin getting it Thursday. The government had previously said two doctors would receive the treatment, but it was unclear who else would.

These are the last known doses of ZMapp left in the world. The San Diego-based company that developed it has said it will take months to build up even a modest supply.

The Ebola outbreak that was first detected in March in Guinea and spread to Liberia, Sierra Leone and Nigeria has killed more than 1,060 of the 1,975 people sickened by it, according to the World Health Organization.

The outbreak has overwhelmed the already strained health systems in West Africa and sparked an international debate over the ethics of giving drugs that have not yet been tested for safety or efficacy to the sick, and over who should get the drugs. So far, only two Americans and one Spaniard have received it. The Americans are improving -- but it is unclear what role the drug has played. The Spaniard died.

Doctors Without Borders, which is running many of the Ebola treatment centers and whose staff have tussled with whether to provide ZMapp, said such choices present "an impossible dilemma."

Now Liberian officials are facing those questions.

"The criteria of selection is difficult, but it is going to be done," said Dr. Moses Massaquoi, who helped Liberia obtain the drug from Mapp Biopharmaceutical. "We are going to look at how critical people are. We are definitely going to be focusing on medical staff."

Massaquoi said people who were past the "critical phase" and looked likely to survive would not be treated with it.

In this outbreak, over 50 percent of those sickened with Ebola have died, according to the U.N. health agency.

Arthur Caplan, director of medical ethics at NYU Langone Medical Center, said the choice would have to balance helping the largest number of people with learning the most from the treatments. Since it's not clear whether the drug is effective, Caplan said the question is not, whose life do we save, but "who gets the chance to be experimented on?"

For that reason, recipients should be chosen at least partially based on whether they will make good experimental subjects. That could mean choosing people who have recently contracted the disease and are more likely to respond to treatment or younger patients. In order to study the long-term effects, doctors will likely prefer people who can be observed for months, he said, and that might eliminate people who live in remote places.

Liberian officials stressed that only people who signed a consent form would receive the drug. Caplan said it was important to inform people about the risks of taking the drug, but that "if you're terminally ill with a dread disease ... you almost can't imagine anybody saying no."

Nigeria announced Thursday that one more person has been infected with Ebola, bringing the country's number of cases to 11. Health Minister Onyebuchi Chukwu said the latest patient is a doctor who helped treat the first Ebola case in the country, Liberian-American Patrick Sawyer who flew in last month with the virus and died July 25.

All Nigerians who contracted the virus have had direct contact with Sawyer.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...abb_story.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    i heard a rumor that people that have had ancestors survive the plague are immune to HIV.
    Missed this, that's really interesting. I'll do some reading up.

In the mean time ...

A Nigerian Ebola advice thread. Someone posts that they are sick & asks for the opinions of other posters on whether to worry/what to do (there's also links to a bunch of other Ebola discussion threads)

http://www.nairaland.com/1862020/thi...a..what-please

ETA excellent memory you have there Ani. Most of the Black Death/ immunity stuff I found was from 2005/06. One guy explained it like this (I'm quoting from a comment thread, not an official scientific source cos I'm too sleepy to dig right now around right now)

http://m.slashdot.org/story/61958

They tested the people whose ancestors had lived, and it turned out that you could have three situations: If you did not have this mutated gene, you would die. If you had inherited it from one parent, you would get very sick, but survive. If you had inherited it from both parents you wouldn't get the black plague at all.

They talked about how the plague spread, and the areas where it had hit most often over the past couple thousand years (there's evidence of it sweeping through Europe in the dark ages) had the highest incidence of this delta-32 gene, and so would have a higher percentage of the population immune to it. They estimated that up to 14% of Europeans had this gene and if they were right, that same number would also be completely uninfectable by HIV.

They didn't speculate as to what would happen to the people who were partially immune to the plague, but we hear of people who are infected with HIV and 10-15 years later haven't developed AIDS symptoms. I brought the documentary to the attention of the HIV researchers at my office, and they said there wasn't an easy method of introducing that gene into people affected by this.

I know people who work at Genzyme, they use genetic samples to grow new skin cells for burn victims and new cartilage for knee surgeries. It's not completely out of the realm of possibility that they could figure out a way to grow some white blood cells to match the patient, but with that delta 32 gene introduced. It's unlikely that they'll work it out sooner than 10-20 years from now, though, so it's science fiction until then
    Last edited by blighted star; 08-17-2014 at 08:12 PM.

LIBERIA’S armed forces have reportedly been given orders to shoot people trying to illegally cross the border from neighbouring Sierra Leone, which was closed to stem the spread of Ebola.
    Soldiers stationed in Bomi and Grand Cape Mount counties, which border Sierra Leone, were to “shoot on sight” any person trying to cross the border, said deputy chief of staff, Colonel Eric Dennis, The Daily Observer reported.
    The order comes after border officials reported people continued to cross the porous border illegally.
    Grand Cape Mount county had 35 known “illegal entry points,” according to immigration commander Colonel Samuel Mulbah.
    Illegal crossings were a major health threat, said Mulbah, “because we don’t know the health status of those who cross at night”.

http://www.news.com.au/world/liberia...-1227028627733

this is the beginning of every plague apocalypse movie ever.

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    this is the beginning of every plague apocalypse movie ever.
    If people dont panic and keep their heads, it doesnt have to be.
    You're entitled to your own opinions. You're not entitled to your own facts.- D. Moynihan
    Quote Originally Posted by aquatwins View Post
    I WILL STICK MY DICK IN YOUR HEAD

Quote Originally Posted by Monter View Post
    If people dont panic and keep their heads, it doesnt have to be.
    shooting people who are trying to cross the border won't help with that.

This is so bad. I'm going to blame conspiracy theorists for some of this insanity. Their bullshit ideas are finally having an impact in the worst way ever. These people read the online bullshit, it spreads as rumours on the ground, next thing, mass hysteria & half don't think Ebola is real while the rest do but think the clinics are government fronts for infecting people under the guise of saving them.

What a fucking mess.

This man carried a young girl out of the West Point health facility on Saturday Continue reading the main story Ebola outbreak Why so dangerous? Mapping the outbreak The ethics dilemma Fear factor Seventeen suspected Ebola patients are "missing" in Liberia after a health centre in the capital was attacked, the government says. The government had previously denied they were missing, saying all patients had been moved to another facility.

The Ebola outbreak, which has spread from Guinea to Liberia, Sierra Leone and Nigeria, has killed at least 1,145. The World Health Organization (WHO) has called for exit screenings on all travellers from affected countries. It wants checks at airports, sea ports and major land crossings. Several airlines have already stopped flying to Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone. Meanwhile, Cameroon has closed its land, sea and air borders with Nigeria, reports say. The Ebola outbreak in West Africa is the world's deadliest to date. The disease has no known cure

Security has been stepped up at health centres treating Ebola patients in Liberia Meanwhile, the UN's chief co-ordinator in Sierra Leone, David McLachlan-Karr, told the BBC that Ebola had spread to 12 out of 13 of the country's districts. "While Sierra Leone was the last affected of the three Mano River countries to have confirmed [cases] of Ebola, now it's the country with the most cases," he said. There have been at least 810 cases of Ebola reported in Sierra Leone, including 348 deaths, according to WHO figures.

<<snipped>>

Health workers flee

Lindis Hurum, from medical charity Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF), says there is an urgent need for a massive public awareness campaign in Liberia. "Some people don't believe that it exists. Definitely, as the situation is getting worse and more people are getting sick, more people also start to believe it," she told the BBC. "But they don't necessarily understand or know how they should prevent it." MSF says the Ebola outbreak has had a terrible impact on Liberia's entire healthcare system, which it says is more or less falling apart.

Health workers wear protective clothing when handling the bodies of Ebola victims Many health facilities have closed, with patients as well as medical staff, too scared to turn up for fear of catching the disease. The Ebola epidemic began in Guinea in February, before spreading to other West African countries. The death toll of 1,145 was announced on Friday after the WHO said 76 new deaths had been reported in the two days to 13 August. There have been 2,127 cases reported in total.

I can't get my new spell check to shut down& it keeps making me sound like a moron. I'm having to edit everything 2-5 times. (which of course is a rather petty complaint from someone who doesn't have Ebola, right? (slaps own face in embarrassment)
    Last edited by blighted star; 08-18-2014 at 07:46 PM.

Agreed. Not defending the government stance at all. I don't know that any other stance would work given what went on at that clinic though.
    You're entitled to your own opinions. You're not entitled to your own facts.- D. Moynihan

Agreed. Not defending the government stance at all. I don't know that any other stance would work given what went on at that clinic though.
    yeah. it's a catch 22. it's like you have less control over a population when they aren't allowed to move places freely. that's when people get desperate, and the most desperate of them find a way out and spread the disease. there should be a quarantine, of course, so i don't have even the slightest idea for a solution.
    Last edited by animosity; 08-20-2014 at 08:26 AM.

Yay.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/progres...th-holy-water/

? Africa: Christian leader says he can cure Ebola with Holy Water August 15, 2014 by Michael Stone 9 Comments Popular African minister and televangelist T.B. Joshua is sending 4,000 bottles of holy water to *Sierra Leone, claiming his “anointed water” will cure Ebola.

T.B. Joshua is a wildly popular Christian minister, televangelist and “faith healer” from Nigeria. He is leader and founder of The Synagogue, Church of All Nations (SCOAN), which runs a Christian television station seen across the African continent called Emmanuel TV.

His followers call him a Prophet, and Joshua has a large and dedicated following of true believers. In fact, with over 1.2 million likes as a public figure on Facebook and 107,000 followers on Twitter, labeling the pastor as “popular” is a drastic understatement.

Well, holy shit.

DETAILS EXPECTED ON RELEASE OF AMERICAN EBOLA PATIENTS

ATLANTA -- Emory University Hospital in Atlanta plans to announce details Thursday about the release of two Americans who contracted Ebola, ABC News has learned.

Dr. Kent Brantly, 33, is slated to be released from the hospital today and speak at a press conference. Brantly contracted the deadly virus while working in a Liberian Ebola ward with the aid agency Samaritan's Purse. He was evacuated to the U.S. earlier this month along with coworker Nancy Writebol. New information about Writebol is also expected today.

Brantly is the first-ever Ebola patient to be treated in the U.S. and the first human to receive the experimental serum known as ZMapp.

According to reports, Brantly's condition deteriorated so quickly that doctors in Africa decided to give him the drug in a last-ditch effort to save him.

Brantly's condition started to improve dramatically within an hour after getting the serum, according to Samaritan's Purse, but it's unclear if the improvement was directly related to the medication. After his health stabilized, Brantly was evacuated on a specially outfitted plane to Atlanta in early August to the hospital isolation ward.

Writebol, 59, also survived after getting the serum.

The virus has killed at least 1,229 and sickened 1,011 more, according to numbers released Tuesday by the World Health Organization. Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia have the most cases.
    http://abc11.com/uncategorized/ameri...spital/274310/

Edited to add, they've both been "cured" and released:

ATLANTA -- Nancy Writebol and Dr. Kent Brantly have been cured of the Ebola virus and released from Emory Hospital in Atlanta.

Both patients were given blood and urine tests to determine whether they still had the virus, and Writebol left the hospital Tuesday. Brantly, 33, was released today.

"After a rigorous course of treatment and testing, the Emory Healthcare team has determined that both patients have recovered from the Ebola virus and can return to their families and community without concern for spreading this infection to others," Dr. Bruce Ribner, director of Emory's Infectious Disease Unit, said in a statement released today.

Writebol's husband said in the statement that Writebol left the hospital in a "significantly weakened condition."

Brantly is expected to give a statement today.

Brantly contracted the deadly virus while working in a Liberian Ebola ward with the aid agency Samaritan's Purse. He was evacuated to the U.S. earlier this month along with Writebol.

Brantly is slated to speak at a press conference today, with an update about Writebol also planned.

Brantly is the first-ever Ebola patient to be treated in the U.S. and the first human to receive the experimental serum known as ZMapp.

According to reports, Brantly's condition deteriorated so quickly that doctors in Africa decided to give him the drug in a last-ditch effort to save him.

Brantly's condition started to improve dramatically within an hour after getting the serum, according to Samaritan's Purse, but it's unclear if the improvement was directly related to the medication. After his health stabilized, Brantly was evacuated on a specially outfitted plane to Atlanta in early August to the hospital isolation ward.

Writebol, 59, also survived after getting the serum.
    Last edited by debk589; 08-21-2014 at 07:26 AM.

That is amazing.
    Im really hoping that we can be human beings and political machinations wont get in the way of producing this drug and getting it to the people of WestAfrica - yeah I know I know..

Northern Ireland is the latest scare

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-28886663

But
    http://www.bellanaija.com/2014/08/20...s-of-recovery/

Ebola: Ray of Hope as Health Workers given ZMapp in Liberia show ?Positive Signs of Recovery? 20.08.2014 at 6:39 am By BellaNaija.com 8 Comments The Liberian Ministry of Health on Tuesday said that three health care workers who were given the experimental Ebola drug ZMapp in Liberia have shown ?very positive signs of recovery?. The medical professionals also treating the workers have called their progress ?remarkable?

The government also confirmed that the 17 patients who escaped a local clinic after it was attacked earlier in the week, have been accounted for, while those who tested positive are being treated at another medical centre. The World Health Organisation says that the situation in Lagos, Nigeria ?looks reassuring?. ?At present, the city?s 12 confirmed cases are all part of a single chain of transmission. Those infected by the initial case include medical staff involved in Patrick Sawyer?s treatment, a patient in the same hospital, and a protocol officer in very close contact with the patient.?, WHO said

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articl...29/4076805.htm

A study of some of the earliest Ebola cases in Sierra Leone reveals more than 300 genetic changes in the virus as it has leapt from person to person.

These rapid changes could blunt the effectiveness of diagnostic tests and experimental treatments now in development, say researchers.

"We found the virus is doing what viruses do. It's mutating," says study lead author Pardis Sabeti of Harvard University and the Broad Institute.

The study is based on samples from 78 people in Sierra Leone, all of whose infections could be traced to a faith healer whose claims of a cure attracted Ebola patients from Guinea, where the virus first took hold.

The findings, published in Science , suggests the virus is mutating quickly and in ways that could affect current diagnostics and future vaccines and treatments, such as GlaxoSmithKline's Ebola vaccine, which was just fast-tracked to begin clinical trials, or the antibody drug ZMapp, being developed by California biotech Mapp Biopharmaceutical.

Study coauthor Robert Garry of Tulane University says the virus is mutating at twice the rate in people as it was in animal hosts, such as fruit bats.

Garry says the study shows changes in the glycoprotein, the surface protein that binds the virus to human cells, allowing it to start replicating in its human host.

"It's also what your immune system will recognise," he says.

In an unusual step, the researchers posted the sequences online as soon as they became available, giving other researchers early access to the data.

Erica Ollmann Saphire of the Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla, California, has already checked the data to see if it impacts the three antibodies in ZMapp, a drug in short supply that has been tried on several individuals, including the two US missionaries who contracted Ebola in Sierra Leone and who have since recovered.

"It appears that they do not (affect ZMapp)," says Saphire, who directs a consortium to develop antibody treatments for Ebola and related viruses. But she says the data "will be critical to seeing if any of the other antibodies in our pool could be affected."

Saphire says the speed with which Sabeti and colleagues mapped genetic changes in the virus gives researchers information that "will also be critical" to companies developing RNA-based therapeutics.

That could impact treatments under way from Vancouver-based Tekmira Pharmaceuticals Corp and privately held Profectus BioSciences of Tarrytown, New York.

Unfolding epidemic
    Part of what makes the data useful is the precise picture it paints as the epidemic unfolded. Sabeti credits years of work by her lab, colleagues at Tulane and the Sierra Leone Ministry of Health and Sanitation in developing a response network for Lassa fever, a virus similar to Ebola that is endemic in West Africa.

Several of the study authors gave their lives to the work, including Dr Sheik Humarr Khan, the beloved "hero" doctor from the Kenema Government Hospital, who died from Ebola.

The team had been doing surveillance for two months when the first case of Ebola arrived from Guinea on 25 May. That case involved a "sowei" or tribal healer, whose claim of a cure lured sick Ebola victims from nearby Guinea.

"When she contracted Ebola and died, there were a lot of people who came to her funeral," says Garry said. One of these was a young pregnant woman who became infected and travelled to Kenema Government Hospital, where she was diagnosed with Ebola.

With the Lassa surveillance team in place, they quickly began testing samples.

"We've been able to capture the initial spread from that one person and to follow all of these contacts and everything with sequencing," Garry says.

The team used a technique called deep sequencing in which sequences are done repeatedly to generate highly specific results, allowing them to see not only how the virus is mutating from person to person, but how it is mutating in cells within the same person.

What is not clear from the study is whether the mutations are fueling the epidemic by allowing the virus to grow better in people and become easier to spread. That will require further tests in the lab, says Garry.

The findings come as the World Health Organization (WHO) says the epidemic could infect more than 20,000 people and spread to more countries.

A WHO representative could not be reached for comment.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    Dont read to much into this- this is how viruses have always worked. Its good they are tracking changes and that none of the changes effect the zmapp.

Yeah. But I'm afraid they may be wasting time now with the treatment they've developed.

ETA: Still makes me nervous.

Dont read to much into this- this is how viruses have always worked. Its good they are tracking changes and that none of the changes effect the zmapp.
    stupid rep rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    Yeah. But I'm afraid they may be wasting time now with the treatment they've developed.

ETA: Still makes me nervous.
    I dont think its an either/or proposition. Even if the virus mutates in a way that some people get a strain that wont respond to treatment , it could still be used for theoriginal strain. As well as stay on top of the mutations and how they work to develop further vaccines

Dr. Senga Omeonga and physician assistant Kynda Kobbah were discharged from a Liberian treatment center on Saturday after recovering from the virus, according to the World Health Organization.

They were given ZMapp -- the experimental drug that's credited with saving the lives of two Americans infected with Ebola.

Officials said that early treatment was key to the recovery of the Liberian medical workers. Both indicated that they will return to work soon.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/30/world/...html?hpt=hp_t2

The West African country of Senegal has confirmed its first Ebola case one week after closing its border with Guinea over fears that the deadly outbreak could spread, the Senegalese Press Agency reported Friday.

Senegal is the fifth country in the region where the virus has spread.

Senegal's health minister, Awa Marie Coll Seck, confirmed that a 21-year-old university student from Guinea was infected with the Ebola virus and placed in quarantine in the Fann Hospital in Dakar, the news agency reported.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/29/health...html?hpt=hp_t2
    Last edited by puzzld; 08-30-2014 at 02:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

An American missionary doctor working in Liberia has tested positive for Ebola, his organization, SIM USA, said Tuesday.

The doctor, whose name was not released, was not treating Ebola patients and it's not known how he contracted the disease, SIM USA said.

http://m.wptz.com/health/cdc-directo...alarm/27833302

Well bring him on back to Emory!

Quote Originally Posted by debk589 View Post
    Well bring him on back to Emory!

It's a long article, but frightening. It claims that the people over there say that it's a lot worse than what is being reported and that it's spiraling out of control. But that part of the reason for it is because countries are closing their borders to anyone wanting to come or go to the areas.

It just makes me nervous because this outbreak isn't like the others. I really hope they're able to nip it in the bud. Scary stuff.

A North Carolina-based charity says the missionary who was infected with Ebola while serving in Liberia is being flown to a Nebraska hospital for treatment.

A statement from SIM on Thursday says Dr. Rick Sacra is being flown to The Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha. He is expected to arrive on Friday and begin treatment in the hospital's Biocontainment Patient Care Unit.

SIM president Bruce Johnson says Sacra was receiving excellent care from staff at a care center in Liberia, but he says the Nebraska facility provides advanced monitoring equipment and a wider availability of treatment options.

Sacra, a doctor from the Boston area, opted to head to Liberia after hearing that two other missionaries were sick. He was infected by the virus that has killed about 1,900 people.
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/m...raska-25251903

A Massachusetts doctor has been identified as the third U.S. health worker to be infected with the Ebola virus in West Africa.

Dr. Rick Sacra, 51, was treating pregnant women in the ELWA Hospital in Monrovia, Liberia, when he was infected, according to missionary group SIM.

Sacra, an assistant professor at University of Massachusetts Medical School, was not treating Ebola patients in the hospital’s separate Ebola isolation facility, the group said, adding that it was unclear how he contracted the virus. All infected U.S. health workers were working at the ELWA hospital when they contracted the virus.

Sacra's family released a statement today saying the doctor had isolated himself after running a fever Friday.

“Although this was the worst possible news, [Sacra's wife, Debbie Sacra] is confident that Dr. Jerry Brown, Rick’s Liberian colleague and friend, is doing everything he can to care for Rick through these days when the sickness is most intense," the family said in a statement.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/massach...ry?id=25230711
    Last edited by puzzld; 09-04-2014 at 01:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Thread Information