Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ebola Epidemic

Quote Originally Posted by Monter View Post
    There is so much media fear mongering, it's insane.

I think there is value to helping and studying this disease before it comes here organically. The american that died in Liberia was scheduled to come home to the midwest. What if he got on a plane to the US sick? That is going to happen eventually. Id rather have doctors and facilities ready.

Also, the high death rate is partly reflective of the third world conditions the outbreak is occurring in. There is seriously substandard care, and the workers are literally fighting some of the populace to adhere to basic guidelines to prevent infection and get people treatment.
    This. Exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I'm jealous of your shirt

I guess I have a hard time negotiating the reasoning. Why risk it, no matter how miniscule the chance of it getting loose over 2 people when the government can't even take care of its Vets. To me it's a no brainer. The only way to be absolutely sure you're not going to unleash the virus in to uninfected territory is to not bring it here at all
    You could be right if we could be sure no infected person could slip in, but you know that's going to happen. Eventually. So better to learn all we can while we can. There seem to be lots of people coming and going to the hot zone.
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/02/health...html?hpt=hp_t2
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    This. Exactly.

You could be right if we could be sure no infected person could slip in, but you know that's going to happen. Eventually. So better to learn all we can while we can. There seem to be lots of people coming and going to the hot zone.
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/02/health...html?hpt=hp_t2
    I guess I'm working on "KNOWINGLY" bringing it here. The transport of potential outbreaks that could unknowingly happen is both terrifying and real. That could happen with more than just Ebola .

Aaaaaaaand there goes my restful sleep for the next century.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

There is so much media fear mongering, it's insane.

I think there is value to helping and studying this disease before it comes here organically. The american that died in Liberia was scheduled to come home to the midwest. What if he got on a plane to the US sick? That is going to happen eventually. Id rather have doctors and facilities ready.

Also, the high death rate is partly reflective of the third world conditions the outbreak is occurring in. There is seriously substandard care, and the workers are literally fighting some of the populace to adhere to basic guidelines to prevent infection and get people treatment.
    I guess I'm working on "KNOWINGLY" bringing it here. The transport of potential outbreaks that could unknowingly happen is both terrifying and real. That could happen with more than just Ebola .

Aaaaaaaand there goes my restful sleep for the next century.
    Well, I guess I feel better knowing that someone who know they were at risk knows they are welcome to come home and that there is a facility where they can get care vs. the other scenario: "God, I feel lousy. Better keep it to myself or they'll bar me at the border. I'll just get on the plane..."

But yeah ebola is far from the scariest disease out there...
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Senior Member Mars Defense Perimeter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by debk589 View Post
    It's happening.

What is? Cuba Gooding Jr? CLOSE THE GODDAMNED BORDERS

Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    I'm kind of mixed on it. Emory hospital is prepared for it tho. They have a state of the art place for containment. (so they say) This could be a major breakthrough for our scientist discovering/researching it. Yeah, but in the back of my mind I keep singing "Baby can you dig your man" from the stand. LOL

BTW- the doctor made it. He was able to walk off of the ambulance.
    Lol!!!! That's the first thing that popped into my brain. I think I read that book at least 3 times, including the extended version.

"Theoretical physics can prove that an elephant can hang from a cliff with its tail tied to a daisy. But use your eyes, your common sense".... JIM GARRISON

This is for Trazadone Uprising. Some people have failed to heed your warning ...

BANGOR, Maine -
    An airplane carrying one American infected with the Ebola virus landed at Bangor International Airport to refuel and resupply Saturday morning.

Our information partners at WABI TV-5 in Bangor report the Phoenix Air Gulfstream 3 landed at BIA just after 7:30 a.m. Saturday. It was the plane's first stop in the US on its journey to Dobbins Air Force Base in Marietta, GA from Liberia, Africa, where two American aid workers were infected with the deadly disease.

The crew stepped off the aircraft to stretch their legs and receive what appeared to be medical supplies. The American on board, Dr. Kent Brantly, worked in a Liberian hospital that treated Ebola patients.

The plane spent a little less than an hour on the ground before departing for Georgia.

This is the first time anyone sick with Ebola has been brought into the United States. So far, more than 700 people have died from the disease in West Africa.

Bangor Mayor Ben Sprague says airport staff, law enforcement and public health personnel were on alert in case anything went wrong, but it was a straightforward landing and refuel.

Dr. Brantly was eventually transported to Emory University Hospital, which has one of the top isolation units in the country.
    http://m.wmtw.com/news/plane-carryin...angor/27278498

Thanks, Obama.

So I guess it's here now

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

The Ebola virus is not even airborne. You've to have very close contact to even get it.

The scientist that discovered Ebola actually discovered it because they were researching the outbreak in a village. They started to notice that most of the people infected were women between the ages of 20-30 and they were all known to hang around the prenatal clinic. Come to later find out, the clinic was re-using needles to give the pregnant women injections.

They also noticed a high number of people were getting Ebola from funerals. The practice of washing a dead body with no gloves on. People were washing bodies that had vomit, diarrhea and blood on them.

'I would sit next to Ebola sufferer on Tube', says scientist who discovered deadly virus
    Professor Peter Piot says he is confident there will not be a major outbreak of the Ebola virus outside the west Africa region because it requires "very close contact" to spread
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...dly-virus.html

From this article- it says that Ebola was already here before the dr. arrived yesterday.http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...d-spirits.html
    A third American to have come in contact with the disease in Liberia, retired doctor Alan Jamison, 69, has voluntarily quarantined himself at his home in Tennessee.
    He has not developed symptoms since returning to the US, but as Ebola has an incubation period of some weeks he said he thought it best not to mingle with the public until he knew for sure that he did not have the disease.

Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    The Ebola virus is not even airborne. You've to have very close contact to even get it.

The scientist that discovered Ebola actually discovered it because they were researching the outbreak in a village. They started to notice that most of the people infected were women between the ages of 20-30 and they were all known to hang around the prenatal clinic. Come to later find out, the clinic was re-using needles to give the pregnant women injections.

They also noticed a high number of people were getting Ebola from funerals. The practice of washing a dead body with no gloves on. People were washing bodies that had vomit, diarrhea and blood on them.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...dly-virus.html

From this article- it says that Ebola was already here before the dr. arrived yesterday.http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...d-spirits.html
    You must have missed my post above where a doctor says that it seems to be mutating and is showing signs of being able to be transmitted through air now

Viruses mutate too. I hope the CDC keeps that in mind. As a matter of fact........

She said the outbreak was the deadliest and most widely spread, and had also demonstrated an ability to spread through air travel, unlike past outbreaks.

http://m.bbc.com/news/world-africa-28610112?SThisFB
    You must have missed my post above where a doctor says that it seems to be mutating and is showing signs of being able to be transmitted through air now

That BBC article says nothing about the virus mutating. The quote you pulled out of it says it is spreading through air travel.

In fact, the article clearly says:

It spreads by contact with infected blood, bodily fluids, organs - or contaminated environments.

Here's an article that includes an interview with the head of the CDC:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...y-ga/13536981/

It also clearly says:

The virus is spread through direct contact with blood, urine, saliva and other bodily fluids from an infected person. It is not spread through the air.

Here's an AP story that quotes the WHO:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSto...ebola-24755315

The World Health Organization says the risk of travelers contracting Ebola is considered low because it requires direct contact with bodily fluids or secretions such as urine, blood, sweat or saliva, experts say. Ebola can't be spread like flu through casual contact or breathing in the same air.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by TupeloHoney View Post
    That BBC article says nothing about the virus mutating. The quote you pulled out of it says it is spreading through air travel.

In fact, the article clearly says:

Here's an article that includes an interview with the head of the CDC:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...y-ga/13536981/

It also clearly says:

Here's an AP story that quotes the WHO:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSto...ebola-24755315
    Yeah I think you are confsing "air travel" with airborne. Ebola is not airborne. They are talkign about the disease crossing continents via airtravel=airplane.
    Outbreak's premise ( I watvched the mobie obsessively as a kid) was that there were two infected persons - one was contained immediately here because it was the ususal disease. The other, was a medical worker who had an accident with a centrifuge, never reported it, took no precautions and then went to the movies where it spontaneously mutated and became airborne. That doesnt happen that way in real life.
    You're entitled to your own opinions. You're not entitled to your own facts.- D. Moynihan
    Quote Originally Posted by aquatwins View Post
    I WILL STICK MY DICK IN YOUR HEAD

Yeah I think you are confsing "air travel" with airborne. Ebola is not airborne. They are talkign about the disease crossing continents via airtravel=airplane.
    Outbreak's premise ( I watvched the mobie obsessively as a kid) was that there were two infected persons - one was contained immediately here because it was the ususal disease. The other, was a medical worker who had an accident with a centrifuge, never reported it, took no precautions and then went to the movies where it spontaneously mutated and became airborne. That doesnt happen that way in real life.
    That's the point I was trying to make. It is not "mutating" into an airborne illness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

Yeah. In that article you're right. I did misread it. But I knew I had read somewhere how they had fears of it mutating and going airborne. They did a study in Canada two years ago where it spread through no contact from pigs to monkeys :

http://healthmap.org/site/diseasedai...irborne-112112

When news broke that the Ebola virus had resurfaced in Uganda, investigators in Canada were making headlines of their own with*research*indicating the deadly virus may spread between species, through the air.

The team, comprised of researchers from the National Centre for Foreign Animal Disease, the University of Manitoba, and the Public Health Agency of Canada, observed transmission of Ebola from pigs to monkeys. They first inoculated a number of piglets with the Zaire strain of the Ebola virus. Ebola-Zaire is the deadliest strain, with mortality rates up to 90 percent. The piglets were then placed in a room with four cynomolgus macaques, a species of monkey commonly used in laboratories. The animals were separated by wire cages to prevent direct contact between the species.

Within a few days, the inoculated piglets showed clinical signs of infection indicative of Ebola infection. In pigs, Ebola generally causes respiratory illness and increased temperature. Nine days after infection, all piglets appeared to have recovered from the disease.

Within eight days of exposure, two of the four monkeys showed signs of Ebola infection. Four days later, the remaining two monkeys were sick too. It is possible that the first two monkeys infected the other two, but transmission between non-human primates has never before been observed in a lab setting.

- See more at: http://healthmap.org/site/diseasedai....yxpNefQt.dpuf

And don't expect me to answer your posts Tupelo. I did the smart thing and put you on ignore a while ago. So quote me and jump on my posts all you like. Fine by me. But you'll be arguing by yourself

That's what they said in 1300. "Oh. Thou art overreactingeth. The Black Death doth be but a bad cold!"

Boston, I really do get what you are saying. It's scary.

I've read that research before when you posted it. I also read this on a science blog that talks about your article
    http://scienceblogs.com/aetiology/20...isnt-airborne/

As far as I know, there is no evidence that it's spread airborne. I think if the dude that discovered the virus says it's not airborne, well, I tend to believe him. That's just me.

Yeah the airborne thing is not something that has ever been identified in research on ebola. I question that research

YEah it says it right in there-
    "Author Dr. Gary Kobinger suspects that the virus is transmitted through droplets, not fomites, because evidence of infection in the lungs of the monkeys indicated that the virus was inhaled.
    What do these findings mean? First and foremost, Ebola is not suddenly an airborne disease. As expert commentators at ProMED stated, the experiments “demonstrate the susceptibility of pigs to Zaire Ebolavirus and that the virus from infected pigs can be transmitted to macaques under experimental conditions… they fall short of establishing that this is a normal route of transmission in the natural environment.” Furthermore, because human Ebola outbreaks have historically been locally contained, it is unlikely that Ebola can spread between humans via airborne transmission. "
    Last edited by Monter; 08-03-2014 at 04:35 PM.
    You're entitled to your own opinions. You're not entitled to your own facts.- D. Moynihan

Well, I'm not saying it's a definite that it will happen. Only that now that we have infected people here in the States, the chance exists that it could spread. And I realize that the CDC has put all of the proper safeguards in place to keep it contained. However I also realize that "It will never happen" are famous last words. The Titanic is a perfect example. Humans and their egos tend to bring about disaster. On that, there's no argument. It's a virus. And it will do whatever it wants. And there's no way we can be sure of what it will change in to or not change in to.

My only problem with it is to me it makes no logical sense to willingly bring it here for 2 people. Especially if they can't cure it. More than likely this will end with them receiving fluids and vitamins until they pass away. There's a chance they'll survive. I hope they do. But to me, at least, it's not worth the risk

everything i've been reading indicates that human-to-human contact is needed for transmission, though the CDC is recommending droplet precautions are taken. so, i'm pretty sure that the patients here will be in isolation which includes airborne precautions.

i'm ok with these folks being brought here, i hope that it helps hospitals across the country better understand the needs of these patients. better for us to bring these patients here knowingly than for someone to show up and get a dx after the fact. and that seems to happen pretty often.

i've also read that most seem to believe that this outbreak was mishandled from the beginning, which is why it has gotten so out of hand. this virus has been well contained in the past, if there was some kind of threat in a first world country i have no doubts that it would be contained pretty quickly.

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/hcp/inf...endations.html

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/

Any patient'a chances of recovery go up dramatically with the resources we have available in the US. It is an opportunity to study and train for this disease's eventual arrival in uncontrolled circumstances.
    I'm ok with agreeing to disagree. I get the concern absolutely.

I really wish I hadn't watched all of those movies about rapidly-spreading fatal disease/virus/parasite(s).

I kind of thought I had SARS/H1N1 after watching Contagion. I'm not enough of a hypochondriac that I actually went to the doctor, I knew I didn't really have it, I just think I have symptoms of it-then I realize I'm thinking crazy.

I'm only familiar with animal diseases-but is Ebola similar to the Parvovirus or HGE? Is it zoonotic?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    I really wish I hadn't watched all of those movies about rapidly-spreading fatal disease/virus/parasite(s).

I kind of thought I had SARS/H1N1 after watching Contagion. I'm not enough of a hypochondriac that I actually went to the doctor, I knew I didn't really have it, I just think I have symptoms of it-then I realize I'm thinking crazy.

I'm only familiar with animal diseases-but is Ebola similar to the Parvovirus or HGE? Is it zoonotic?
    Ebola is Naaaaaaasty. It's slow, painful and terrible. The Zaire strain has a 90% kill rate. Like Berm keeps referring to, very "Captain Trips" from The Stand. It does worry me. Mainly because you could have it for WEEKS without a symptom, sharing the wealth before realizing you have it.

I would liken it to Parvo for humans. But doesn't kill as quickly. And causes hemorrhaging from your eye sockets and other orifices.

Sleep tight

has supermodel tits neenerneener's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post

I had H1N1 in 2009, right when it became a huge deal. It was awful. I had a high fever and slept about 18 hours a day, and when I wasn't sleeping, I was coughing. The one good thing? I discovered Vicks scented tissues. I buy them by the case now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC
    I want to kiss your lips. Both sets.
    * wow you truly are the sterial cunt here are yo not.I fuckin hate you cunt* - Loonywop
    ★ take the sig down ★ - Loonywop

Thread Information