Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Nathan O'Brien (5) was murdered along with his grandparents Alvin and Kathryn Liknes, 66 and 53

So what does this mean? They called off Amber Alert. Do they know where they are or that these people are dead?

"Theoretical physics can prove that an elephant can hang from a cliff with its tail tied to a daisy. But use your eyes, your common sense".... JIM GARRISON

Quote Originally Posted by queenaevadamthng View Post
    So what does this mean? They called off Amber Alert. Do they know where they are or that these people are dead?
    Yeah, unfortunately that's the only reason I can think of.

I guess they released him because they didn't have enough evidence against him, they probably found something that indicates they are dead and incriminates him.

ETA: was this suspect at their estate sale?
    Last edited by Angiebla; 07-14-2014 at 11:07 AM.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

I assumed that they're dead, only because if they were alive I figure that's something they would have released. However they could be still trying to locate them. I really have no clue.

Quote Originally Posted by sogs View Post
    Nothing matters but the lesbian.

God, that fucking sucks. That sucks so goddamn hard for that family who just dropped their kid off with the grandparents, like, what a horrible line up with destiny.

Is the press conference streaming anywhere??

God, that fucking sucks. That sucks so goddamn hard for that family who just dropped their kid off with the grandparents, like, what a horrible line up with destiny.
    Seriously. And it was only 12 hours. I can't even imagine the mother, thinking "if only I had taken him home with me instead..." but of course it's not her fault. I feel so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Fucking terrible :(

Either he confessed, or they have a body. I can't see any other way that they would have enough to charge him. It's possible that they've found them but just haven't announced it yet. But more than likely he confessed. And if that's the case, I hope he leads them to them.

ETA: My bad. He's just been arrested. Not charged yet.
    Last edited by Boston Babe 73; 07-14-2014 at 11:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by debk589 View Post
    Is the press conference streaming anywhere??
    There's video of it here. Second degree murder charges are pending.
    http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/man-to-fa...ound-1.1913168

It's horrible enough knowing that you have to bury your parent, but both parents and your child too. Good Lord that's a lot to heap on a person.

"Theoretical physics can prove that an elephant can hang from a cliff with its tail tied to a daisy. But use your eyes, your common sense".... JIM GARRISON

I'd really love to know why they're so sure all three of them are dead when they don't have bodies or a confession. Either they're holding back a slew of information or they're REALLY assuming a lot.

They gotta know something they just aren't releasing it as of yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I'd really love to know why they're so sure all three of them are dead when they don't have bodies or a confession. Either they're holding back a slew of information or they're REALLY assuming a lot.
    On the news clip they said they had "overwhelming" evidence to suggest that they are dead. They also said they found evidence to suggest he planned the murder of the grandparents, and that the 5 yr old was at the wrong place at the wrong time

If they found a certain amount of blood they can assume they are dead.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    On the news clip they said they had "overwhelming" evidence to suggest that they are dead. They also said they found evidence to suggest he planned the murder of the grandparents, and that the 5 yr old was at the wrong place at the wrong time

If they found a certain amount of blood they can assume they are dead.
    I'm just wondering where the blood was. I don't doubt that they are sure. They'd be dumb to do all of this without solid evidence. I'm just morbidly curious as to WHAT it is they found. It's three people. How much blood did they find? One person, I could see. So much blood that one person couldn't survive. But three? I'm just nosy.

Douglas Garland, the man suspected in the murders of three Calgary family members who vanished two weeks ago, has arrived at the Calgary Police Service arrest processing unit to face multiple murder charges.

He is expected to be formally charged later Tuesday.

Nathan O'Brien case: Past group abductions and what we can learn from them
    Patent dispute investigated in missing Nathan O'Brien case
    Garland, who was taken into police custody on Monday, is facing two first-degree murder charges in the deaths of Kathy and Alvin Liknes, and a charge of second-degree murder in the death of their five-year-old grandson, Nathan O’Brien.

Garland declined to answer any questions from reporters as police led him handcuffed from a van into the processing unit.

Kathryn Liknes, Nathan O'Brien and Alvin Liknes
    Nathan O'Brien, centre, and his grandparents, Kathy and Alvin Liknes, have not been seen since June 29. Police believe there is enough evidence to say they have been murdered, but their bodies have not been recovered. (Calgary Police Service)

Earlier on Monday, Chief Rick Hanson indicated that police believe the trio of family members are dead even though their bodies have not been found.

"We are putting a very complex case before the courts," said Hanson, adding police are very confident with the evidence.

"There is no single piece of evidence that is what people would like to think is the smoking gun."

The 54-year-old Garland was staying at a motel in Airdrie, just north of Calgary, after being released on bail on unrelated charges on Friday, when police arrested him Monday.

'Glimmer of hope' gone, police say

Hanson said that police are offering their condolences to the family.

"There's always a glimmer of hope and unfortunately with the laying of the charges we've taken that away from the family," said Hanson. "They're devastated."

Despite the chief's comments, a family member says they won't believe the three were murdered until their bodies are found.

In an email to The Canadian Press, Teena Prevost, the sister-in-law of Kathy Liknes, said her family is still holding out hope they're alive.

Rod O'Brien, right, and Jennifer O'Brien, centre, attend a candlelight vigil for their missing son July 10. Police now believe Nathan O'Brien, five, and his grandparents Alvin and Kathryn Liknes have been murdered.

Police said after multiple searches they have ended their investigation at the Parkhill home where the three Calgary family members were last seen.

The home belongs to Kathy and Alvin Liknes.

"There are still many questions left to be answered, however, due to charges before the courts, I can't release those details and the investigation continues," said Hanson.
    Police said last week there was evidence a violent crime had occurred in the Liknes home and that blood found inside the house indicated whoever it belonged to would likely have been in medical distress.

The search for evidence will continue this week at the Spyhill landfill in Calgary, where investigators are still sifting through mounds of garbage.

Police will also continue to search an acreage in Airdrie that belongs to Garland's parents.

Rural property owners, including oil companies or businesses, are still being asked to search their properties for anything suspicious.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ents-1.2706455

http://o.canada.com/news/calgary-pol...-nathan-obrien

When evidence was considered on Sunday it became clear the matter was no longer a missing persons case, Hanson said.

“The preponderance of evidence is such that is has led our investigators to believe they are dead.

“The decision was reached that this is now a homicide investigation and that charges would be
    appropriate against the accused individual.”

He could not comment on when police believed the trio died or the possible motive for the crime.

Hanson offered his “sincere and heartfelt condolences” to the Liknes and O’Brien families.

“It’s extremely tragic. It’s devastated them. I think it’s safe to say even as the days went by there’s always a glimmer of hope. Unfortunately with the laying of charges we have taken the hope away from the family.

“(This) has been an extremely challenging and heart-wrenching investigation.”
    Last edited by bermstalker; 07-15-2014 at 03:22 AM.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    Fuck this prick.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

Meanwhile, the 3 charred skeletons in the burned out car near Toronto (from page 1) have been ID'd as a father and his 2 sons. So, definitely not the Liknes'.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/07/09...ed-out-vehicle

Lots of info at the link, this is just a bit on the connection between Garlannd and the Liknes.

Calgary Police drew a bead on Doug Garland as a person of interest when they located his green truck ? CCTV caught it being driven near the murder scene ? and when they learned his sister Patti was in a common-law relationship with a Liknes family member.

Then there was the relationship between Doug Garland and Alvin Liknes, the father. Not only did the two men know each other; they were investors in a business plan that tanked and lost money. The point of contention was a patent on a pump system to be used in pre-existing gas wells.

The situation worsened in late June when Mr. Liknes? hopes for Winter Petroleum, a junior company that was sinking in debt, were crushed under the weight of $800,000 in property taxes and late penalties. Even before Winter Petroleum collapsed into bankruptcy, the company was in a significant mess.

?We were a two-man operation,? said former Winter Petroleum COO Marek Kozera. ?It was just him and me.?

Mr. Kozera added that when the company collapsed, not everyone ? staff or investors ? got paid.

For Mr. Liknes, it wasn?t the first time a deal had gone bad. In 1994, he declared bankruptcy; his wife, Kathryn, did the same two years ago. In 2008, Bluesky Oil and Gas, with Mr. Liknes as its CEO and president, registered in Nevada. Bluesky was to merge with a Florida company, Whitemark Homes. Mr. Liknes described the arrangement as ?a significant step in the growth of our company.? Two years later, Bluesky lost its business licence in Nevada and was gone.

Calgary Police are still looking into the business connections but have stated there was ?bad blood? between Mr. Liknes and Mr. Garland.

?I can tell you there are some business issues that we?re looking into,? Calgary Police spokesperson Kevin Brookwell said earlier this week. ?I can?t get into specifics, as to what those are and who?s involved. We?re dedicating a number of folks who are looking into that.?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...board/follows/

This link has more info on Garlands history
    http://globalnews.ca/news/1451758/wh...uglas-garland/
    Last edited by missbad; 07-16-2014 at 05:57 AM.

UPDATED
    Nathan O'Brien case: Airdrie civilian search called off over backlash
    Organizers say group got too big, too fast and they don't want to deal with online attacks
    CBC News Posted: Jul 16, 2014 9:37 AM MT Last Updated: Jul 17, 2014 6:50 AM MT

A civilian search effort in Airdrie to help find clues in the suspected killings of Nathan O'Brien and his grandparents, Kathy and Alvin Liknes, has been called off because of what organizers are saying is negative online backlash.

Searchers had been preparing to head out for their second effort since beginning yesterday but now say those plans will not be going ahead.

The Facebook page for the civilian search has now been taken down and organizers say the whole effort just got too big, too fast.

"The amount of negative backlash and harassing comments across social media, through certain other medias — it's not worth it," said Matt Forseth, one of the organizers of the first search on Tuesday night.

Organizers said they were being targeted online by people questioning their motives for searching and alleging that they were interfering with the police investigation.

However, while the official civilian search has been called off, few people who had shown up to take part left after the announcement and most were heading out to do their own unofficial search.

"They need you, they need me, they need everybody here," said Martina Payne-Swagar, one of the people who showed up and decided to go out searching anyway.

"They need every single one of us to stand up and say, 'We have family. We have friends.' We may not know them, but if it was my family or my family member, I would want everybody to be there to help me.'"

Dozens have divided themselves into groups and will be combing through nearby fields.

Kevin Brookwell with Calgary police says he understands that people want to help, but questioned the usefulness of the search.

"These folks — God bless them — they've got hearts of gold, and they're giving of their time to come out and search but it's a bit of a blind search. They don't know what they're looking for," he said.

More at link:
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...08571?cmp=fbtl

lololol hearts of gold. "People I don't know are being mean to me on the internet so fuck this dead kid and his family! I'm only looking for the Facebook likes and social approval, so if I'm not getting that, I won't do it!'

I hope people barrage these assholes, what a fucking retarded logic. We won't help because people said not nice things to us.

lololol hearts of gold. "People I don't know are being mean to me on the internet so fuck this dead kid and his family! I'm only looking for the Facebook likes and social approval, so if I'm not getting that, I won't do it!'

I hope people barrage these assholes, what a fucking retarded logic. We won't help because people said not nice things to us.
    I think they may actually be retarded if they still don't know what they are looking for

The search of an acreage connected to the disappearance of a five-year-old and his grandparents is finished, say Calgary police.

For the last two weeks, RCMP and Calgary police held the property as dozens of officers hunted for clues for the whereabouts of Nathan O'Brien and Alvin and Kathy Liknes.

Divers from the fire department finished scouring a nearby pond.

A spokesperson for the Calgary Police Service says police remain in the area and if anything is discovered, they could be back to the acreage.

For now, the owners are allowed to return home. The parents of Douglas Garland, the man facing murder charges in connection with the missing family, are listed as the property owners.

Police say they don't know if they've returned, but a chain hung from two trees on either side of the driveway, preventing people from getting on the property.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/07...n_5604021.html

The search for evidence into the disappearance of five-year-old Calgary boy Nathan O'Brien and his grandparents now involves more sophisticated technology ? a specialized helicopter normally used in the oilfields.

It has been three weeks since Nathan, and Kathy and Alvin Liknes were found to be missing from the Parkhill home where they were last seen, and intense searches for the family are still underway.

Calgary police say they suspect the three have been killed and have laid two charges of first-degree murder, related to the grandparents, and one charge of second-degree murder.

"To think that someone could do that is just ? there's a lot of motivating factors and obviously the family is first and foremost. We want them found," said Greg Head, whose brother owns Vieworx, a specialized aerial referencing company with equipment that produces high-resolution still photos and 360-degree imagery

Head is a family friend of the O'Briens, and says he and his brother are determined to do all they can to help the family find out what happened to their loved ones.

Vieworx, based out of Grande Prairie, Alta., collects data from the ground by way of a helicopter using cutting-edge technology.

It can see beyond crops and trees, and detect any sort of ground disturbance at a very high resolution ? the type of evidence that most interests police.

High-resolution view from above

The helicopter is normally used in the oilfields, but over the weekend, Head, his brother and other company specialists spent hours flying over the Airdrie acreage that has been the subject of a massive police search over the past two weeks.

They covered a radius of nearly 10 kilometres and the data they collected is being reviewed by police.

"It's like Google Earth, but like shooting Google Earth right now at a very high resolution," said Head. "It's a way to help police look back through where they searched and if there's anything interesting, zoom right in."

The National Research Council also had a plane flying over the same areas.

Police said the two technologies are complementary, and while it's too early to tell if the flights will produce results in the search, Head says he is determined to keep supporting the O'Briens in whatever way he and his brother can.

"We want to find them and bring them back to their families," he said. "That's what I want more than anything."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...pter-1.2713772

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/#!/content/1.2728127

Nathan O’Brien case: Douglas Garland murder probe expands to MexicoCalgary police confirm investigators are in Mexico, won’t say exactly where or why
    Aug 05, 2014 3:07 PM MT

Officers with the Calgary Police Service are in Mexico as part of their investigation into the disappearance of five-year-old Nathan O'Brien and his grandparents Alvin and Kathy*Liknes, CBC News has learned.

The three, who are presumed to be dead, have not been seen since the end of June when they were discovered to be missing from a home in southwest Calgary where a violent incident took place. No bodies have been recovered, but police have said there is evidence that the three are dead.

Last month, 54-year-old*Douglas Garland, who was previously considered a person of interest in the case, was charged with two counts of first-degree murder and one count of second-degree murder.

Garland’s*sister, Patti, is in a common-law relationship with Alvin Liknes's son.

Police have already conducted an extensive search of a rural property near Airdrie, north of Calgary, owned by Garland’s parents.

Police have not said exactly where the officers are or what they are looking for in Mexico.*

Thread Information