Thread: Hernan Gutierrez (42) died after falling into a wood chipper

Hernan Gutierrez (42) died after falling into a wood chipper

A Florida landscaper died Monday after police say his entire body went through a wood chipper in what authorities are calling a workplace accident.

When police arrived at the scene Monday afternoon, it was clear the man was already dead, Davie police spokesman Dale Engle told HLN.

The victim, 42-year-old Hernan Gutierrez, apparently fell into the wood chipper while he and two other people were clearing brush near Pine Island Road in Davie.

Investigators told HLN they do not suspect foul play, but added they are investigating the case to determine exactly what happened.

?You hear about this stuff in the movies, but then all of the sudden it happens right outside your door step,? Davie resident Joseph Horta told CNN affiliate WBFS-TV. ?All the sudden I hear all these sirens and I look outside and I see some piles of blood. It was horrifying.?

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration did not immediately return HLN's calls Tuesday. However, Engle says they were present at the scene Monday night.

Officials say they worked late into the night to recover what they could from the chipper and the truck.

"The details are too gory," Engle told HLN when asked to describe the recovery process of the victim's remains.

http://www.hlntv.com/article/2014/06...ath1pstorylink
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Where they don't have maps.......such as..
    Entire body?
    Quote Originally Posted by blighted star
    I was about to be annoyed that this thread was still active, but I see now it's morphed into offers of sex for chilli confectionary, so carry on guys :)

Ugh, has to be one of the worst ways to go. How horrifying. And yucky.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

That picture in the article straight up shows the bloody mulch in the the truck

Tomo

Any details on the business involved? Tucker & Dale's Garden Maintenance perhaps?

Or did someone react really badly to a prank

I'm not really this flippant. I'm avoiding the reality of how completely fucking horrific this is. The only death worse than going headfirst into machinery like this is going in feet first. I hope it was too fast to think & that his friends & family never google his death.

http://news.msn.com/us/mans-death-in...and-horrifying

For many, the wood-chipper death was too gory to contemplate, too upsetting to even imagine.

"As a cop, I've seen horrific things," Davie Police Capt. Dale Engle said Tuesday. "But to see what the machine could do to a human being ... this is not something you see every day, or something you forget easily."

The manner of Hernan Gutierrez's death, believed to be an accident, seemed to horrify all who heard about it.

Gutierrez, 42, was feeding tree limbs and branches into the wood chipper ? its knife blades can chop large pieces of wood into mulch-sized pieces ? when the incident happened Monday, police said.

He fell or was pulled into the chipper during a tree-trimming job outside Federation Gardens, an 80-unit apartment building for low-income residents at 5701 SW 82nd Ave.

Federation Gardens residents were "very upset," said John Sharkey, management agent for the complex.

"It sounds like something terrible out of a movie, a bad movie," Sharkey said. "I have never heard of anything like this. It is hard to imagine that it could happen, especially on your property."

On Tuesday, police and federal inspectors from the U.S. Labor Department's Occupational Safety & Health Administration kept investigating the afternoon incident that shut down traffic on Southwest 57th Street at Pine Island Road for about five hours.

Recovery of the remains from a wood chipper that Engle described as "industrial size" was delicate and difficult. But Gutierrez, whose last known address was in Hallandale Beach, was positively identified, Engle said.

His name was released after detectives notified his girlfriend, police said. Efforts to reach her and Gutierrez's relatives were unsuccessful.

The chipper itself was taken to the Broward Medical Examiner's Office, where recovery of Gutierrez's remains still was underway Tuesday, police said.

The prime contractor on the job was Green Horizon Services Inc., a Davie commercial lawn care and landscape management company, according to Sharkey.

A woman who answered the phone there Tuesday said no one was available to comment.

Gutierrez was employed by Tree Techs Inc., of Pembroke Pines, police said. A Tree Techs representative couldn't be reached for comment despite phone calls.

The job, which began earlier Monday, called for trimming palms and melaleuca trees along Southwest 57th Avenue, Sharkey said.

It was routine work, "something we do every June before hurricane season," he said.

Gutierrez was working with two other men, neither of whom actually saw what happened, Engle said.

One of Gutierrez's co-workers was yards away using a chain saw when the mishap occurred. The other was dragging branches to the chipper. As he approached the chipper, he looked up to find Gutierrez gone, Engle said.

That worker, wearing an orange vest, ran screaming for help, said Cheryl Appel, who lives nearby.

"He was obviously extremely distraught, yelling and flailing his arms around, screaming," she said.

When he got to a fence near his co-worker, he "collapsed against it, his knees buckled," Appel said.

Operating a wood chipper is dangerous, according to OSHA.

"When employees feed tree limbs and branches into chippers, they are at risk of getting caught in the machine and being pulled into the fast-turning chipper knives," warns an agency safety advisory.

According to OSHA figures, 12 chipper-related deaths have been reported in the U.S. since 2010.

In South Florida, Jose DeJesus Velasquez, 53, of Oakland Park, was killed when he got entangled in a wood chipper while working for Twin Tree Service at Camino Del Mar Country Club, west of Boca Raton, on May 29, 1997.

Nearly 10 years earlier, a 21-year-old worker from Hollywood named Alan Douglas Barnes lost his right arm when it was caught in a machine that shreds tree limbs in Plantation.

The make, age and condition of the chipper that killed Gutierrez is not known.

Within the industry, safety improvements have been steady, according to Deana Monahan, a spokeswoman for Morbark Inc., a manufacturer of chippers based in Winn, Mich.

One Morbark innovation, she said, is an operator safety shield that requires operators to wear gloves and ankle straps with sensors that interrupt the feeding mechanism if they are detected in the safety zone.

It is unclear if the chipper in Monday's incident had any safety features.

"I have never heard of anything like this," said Sharkey. "Our hearts go out to the families. This was a tragic accident, a terrible incident."
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    It's the stuff of nightmares. How do you positively identify a blood spot? There really is no way except take the word of the other workers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

It sounds very dangerous to put things into a machine that's already going. What if instead, they had a machine where it wasn't on, and you had to through all the stuff in first, then go around the truck and then push the button to make it go? That seems to be the only way I can think of to avoid something like this happening. If the machine is already going and you're throwing things in there, a branch can get caught on your clothes and suck you in. But waiting until you are away from the opening to turn it on sounds way safer.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    A Florida landscaper died Monday after police say his entire body went through a wood chipper in what authorities are calling a workplace accident.

When police arrived at the scene Monday afternoon, it was clear the man was already dead
    , Davie police spokesman Dale Engle told HLN.

The victim, 42-year-old Hernan Gutierrez, apparently fell into the wood chipper while he and two other people were clearing brush near Pine Island Road in Davie.

Investigators told HLN they do not suspect foul play, but added they are investigating the case to determine exactly what happened.

?You hear about this stuff in the movies, but then all of the sudden it happens right outside your door step,? Davie resident Joseph Horta told CNN affiliate WBFS-TV. ?All the sudden I hear all these sirens and I look outside and I see some piles of blood. It was horrifying.?

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration did not immediately return HLN's calls Tuesday. However, Engle says they were present at the scene Monday night.

Officials say they worked late into the night to recover what they could from the chipper and the truck.

"The details are too gory," Engle told HLN when asked to describe the recovery process of the victim's remains.

http://www.hlntv.com/article/2014/06...ath1pstorylink
    BBM:
    You don't say.....Highly intuitive of them.

Fargo

Fibro Fog has taken over. I am in a constant state of dyscognition so please excuse my retardation.
    'The worst things in the world are justified by belief'- Raised by Wolves SOI

"Your life is short, it's the longest thing you'll ever do/ the worse the curse was that your dreams came true/
    God is a mirror in which each man sees himself/ Hell is place where you don't need anyone's help"

~You got to cry with out weeping. Talk without speaking
    Scream without raising your voice~

Thread Information