Thread: Mike Herdman (36) was found dead in Los Padres National Forest

Mike Herdman (36) was found dead in Los Padres National Forest

Authorities have found the dog belonging to missing firefighter Mike Herdman Sunday, officials said.

The breakthrough comes seven days after the search in the Los Padres National Forest began.

Officials said there was still no sign of Herdman. During a news conference Sunday, authorities said they would scale back search efforts after combing through a 50-square mile radius without finding Herdman.

Much of the search focused on finding Duke, who had been spotted twice in the past week. Authorities set a caged trap to capture Duke on Friday.

Good Samaritans found Duke around noon in a parking lot Sunday where the missing person's vehicle had been parked, said Sgt. Kevin Donoghue of the Ventura County Sheriff's Office.

Herdman, 36, disappeared last Friday during a camping trip in the forest near Fillmore with a friend and fellow firefighter. Duke ran away from the campsite and Herdman chased after him, barefoot and wearing just a t-shirt and shorts.

He was reported missing Sunday night when his friend emerged from the forest and contacted authorities.

Eighty-six search and rescue volunteers were were looking for Herdman on Saturday - the largest group so far. Two manned flight crews and two drones were used to search the rugged terrain.

Several Southern California sheriff?s departments and a team of special agents from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement are also involved.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...264167091.html
    Last edited by puzzld; 06-22-2014 at 05:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Body of Missing Firefighter Mike Herdman Is Found
    NBC LOS ANGELES

The body of missing Arcadia firefighter Mike Herdman was found, officials said Friday.

Ventura County Sheriff's officials will hold a press conference at 4 p.m. where they're expected to release details about the discovery.

Herdman, 36, disappeared Friday, June 13 during a camping trip in the Los Padres National Forest near Fillmore with a friend and fellow firefighter.

His dog, Duke, ran away from the campsite and Herdman chased after him, barefoot and wearing just a T-shirt and shorts.

He was reported missing when his friend emerged from the forest and contacted authorities.

Duke was found June 23 in a parking lot where Herdman's car had been parked. Much of the search focused on finding Duke, who had been spotted twice in a week.

Authorities combed through a 50-square mile radius in in the Los Padres National Forest. At one point as many as 86 search and rescue volunteers had been looking for Herdman. Two manned flight crews and two drones were used to search the rugged terrain.

Several Southern California sheriff’s departments and a team of special agents from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement are also involved.

Officials have said that Herdman is an outdoors enthusiast with experience backpacking in the backcountry.

First published June 27th 2014, 4:04 pm

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...-found-n143061
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Very sad. I didn't have much hope for him after two weeks. I'm glad they finally found him
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    Very sad. I didn't have much hope for him after two weeks. I'm glad they finally found him
    I didn't either. I hope they take a close look at the circumstances of his disappearance. It seems a little odd...
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    I didn't either. I hope they take a close look at the circumstances of his disappearance. It seems a little odd...
    It does. Unless he got discombobulated (that looks weird) when he went after his dog.
    Getting arrested for coke in Vegas is like being found eating a chocolate bar in the willy wonka factory.

He was found near a cliff. I'm guessing somehow he fell. He had no shoes on.

The body of an*Arcadia firefighter who has been missing for two weeks in a remote, rugged area of the Los Padres National Forest was found Friday morning less than a mile from where he was last seen, authorities said.

A family photo shows Mike Herdman with his dog, who ran off before Herdman went missing.

Mike Herdman, 36, disappeared*June 13 when he and*a firefighter colleague and friend chased after Herdman?s runaway dog, Duke, in the mountain above Fillmore. The two men, who were on a four-day backpacking trip in the*Sespe Wilderness, became separated. Herdman did not return to camp that night.

He was barefoot and wearing only shorts and a T-shirt. It took Herdman?s friend Taylor Byars two days to walk out of the wilderness and alert authorities.

The discovery of Herdman?s body in a ?rugged cliff area? was announced*at a Ventura County Sheriff?s Office news conference*about 4*p.m. Friday at Camarillo Airport.

They was no indication of foul play and it was not known if Herdman had fallen,*Sheriff*Geoff Dean said.

http://ktla.com/2014/06/27/mike-herd...es-body-found/

He loved Duke

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    He was found near a cliff. I'm guessing somehow he fell. He had no shoes on.

The body of an*Arcadia firefighter who has been missing for two weeks in a remote, rugged area of the Los Padres National Forest was found Friday morning less than a mile from where he was last seen, authorities said.

A family photo shows Mike Herdman with his dog, who ran off before Herdman went missing.

Mike Herdman, 36, disappeared*June 13 when he and*a firefighter colleague and friend chased after Herdman?s runaway dog, Duke, in the mountain above Fillmore. The two men, who were on a four-day backpacking trip in the*Sespe Wilderness, became separated. Herdman did not return to camp that night.

He was barefoot and wearing only shorts and a T-shirt. It took Herdman?s friend Taylor Byars two days to walk out of the wilderness and alert authorities.

The discovery of Herdman?s body in a ?rugged cliff area? was announced*at a Ventura County Sheriff?s Office news conference*about 4*p.m. Friday at Camarillo Airport.

They was no indication of foul play and it was not known if Herdman had fallen,*Sheriff*Geoff Dean said.

http://ktla.com/2014/06/27/mike-herd...es-body-found/
    It's certainly possible. It just seems odd, and I'd be checking his back for fingerprints, but then I'm paranoid.

This poor guy just didn't want his dog to get lost in the woods He probably thought of that dog as his child.

If my dog ran off, I wouldn't think twice about chasing after her.
    Last edited by Angiebla; 06-27-2014 at 09:05 PM.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

This case stinks. LE needs to dig a lil deeper. JMO

Godspeed, Mike

Fibro Fog has taken over. I am in a constant state of dyscognition so please excuse my retardation.
    'The worst things in the world are justified by belief'- Raised by Wolves SOI

"Your life is short, it's the longest thing you'll ever do/ the worse the curse was that your dreams came true/
    God is a mirror in which each man sees himself/ Hell is place where you don't need anyone's help"

~You got to cry with out weeping. Talk without speaking
    Scream without raising your voice~

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    This poor guy just didn't want his dog to get lost in the woods He probably thought of that dog as his child.

If my dog ran off, I wouldn't think twice about chasing after her.
    Me neither. I would chase after my dog until I found her, which is probably what he was trying to do also. This is what terrifies me of letting my dog off her leash anywhere outside. My husband says I'm too paranoid and too attached, and I can't argue. My dog is like my child, and anyone would do whatever possible to keep their child safe; I do the same for my dog. Obviously this guy felt the same, and poor Duke must be feeling so sad his daddy is gone

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Why is this located in "Jodi Arias & Travis Alexander"?

yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

he was jodi's partner, duh.

justice.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    he was jodi's partner, duh.

justice.

What??? :huh:
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

Why is this located in "Jodi Arias & Travis Alexander"?
    Sorry my fault. The Non MDS death section is just above the arias section when moving threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    Sorry my fault. The Non MDS death section is just above the arias section when moving threads.
    You are so fired!

Just teasing ;)

Arcadia Firefighter Who Went Missing Had Ecstasy, Alcohol in System: Toxicology Report

A firefighter whose body was found in a remote wilderness area after disappearing during a backpacking trip in the Los Padres National Forest had alcohol and ecstasy in his system at the time of his death, officials said Friday.

The body of*Mike Herdman, a 36-year-old Dana Point man who worked for the Arcadia Fire Department, was discovered June 27 after an extensive backcountry search that lasted nearly two weeks and involved dozens of personnel.

He had been camping in the rugged*Sespe Wilderness with a friend when the two men chased after Herdman’s runaway dog. The friends were separated, and Herdman never returned to camp.

Two weeks later, after a major search-and-rescue operation, his body was found less than a mile from their campsite in a “rugged cliff area,” authorities said at the time.

His accidental death was caused by blunt-force injuries, a Ventura County coroner official had said.

On Friday, Capt. Don Aguilar of the Ventura County Sheriff’s Office cited a coroner’s report, saying Herdman had ecstasy and alcohol in his system when he died.

No drug paraphernalia was found on Herdman, and there was no indication of when or where he took the ecstasy, Aguilar said.

The coroner’s seven-page toxicology report for Herdman showed the presence of MDMA, MDA, amphetamine, caffeine and ethanol.

MDMA has stimulant, pyschotropic and hallucinogenic effects, while MDA has stimulant and hallucinogenic properties, according to the report.

No criminal investigation was taking place related to Herdman’s death, Aguilar said.

Herdman was survived by a wife and young daughter.

http://ktla.com/2014/08/01/arcadia-f...cology-report/

Damn he had a lot of drugs in his system. I'm surprised he realized his dog ran off

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Damn he had a lot of drugs in his system. I'm surprised he realized his dog ran off
    Now this statement makes a lot of sense. Rescue workers should have asked "where would a fucked up person go?"

http://ktla.com/2014/07/01/arcadia-f...ical-examiner/

Several days after Herdman’s dog was found and authorities decided to scale back the search, his body was spotted Friday on rugged cliff by a pilot who had just dropped off four ground searchers.

Searchers had decided not to look in the area because they thought it unlikely that Herman would have hiked that far in elevation, Ventura County Sheriff Geoff Dean said.

What are the chances that someone at night in bare feet and shorts would scale a 1,200-foot mountain?” Dean said. “The likelihood just wasn’t that high, so the search was focused in areas that there was a higher likelihood that he might be located.

Well it all makes much more sense now. The story as it was originally told just didn't. But this? Yeah. Head out to the woods, get stoned? Bad things may happen. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the buddy was wasted too. That's why the delay in reporting.

Too bad. Glad the dog's OK.

Thread Information