Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lacey Spears (26) was indicted on charges of depraved murder for killing her son (5) with salt

What a demonic whackadoodle...
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

http://www.lohud.com/story/news/crim...ourt/17301321/

Lacey Spears: Judge says feeding tube warrant proper

(Oct. 16, 2014) Prosecutors have cleared a key hurdle in their case against Lacey Spears, the former Chestnut Ridge mother accused of fatally poisoning her 5-year-old son with salt, convincing a judge they legally obtained evidence, such as feeding tube bags with high concentrations of sodium.

In a written decision issued before Wednesday's court hearing, Westchester County Judge Robert Neary ruled against nearly all of the defense motions, notably deciding all of the search warrants in the case were in order and opening the door for prosecutors to submit to the trial judge some of their most damning evidence.

Neary also denied a defense motion to dismiss the indictment against Spears and declared the case, which is under intense scrutiny and has gained national attention, ready for trial. The case is expected to be assigned to a trial judge on Oct. 23.

"The most important thing today is we have a court date," defense lawyer Stephen Riebling said. "We're moving forward."

Spears attended the hearing but did not speak, other than nodding as her lawyers whispered in her ear. Her eyes, which appeared puffy as if she was tired or had been crying, darted around the courtroom as she appeared in front of Neary, her every step recorded by half-a-dozen news media outlets who had been allowed to film in the courtroom.

Garnett Spears died as a result of salt poisoning, which prosecutors charge was poured down a gastrointestinal tube that was surgically placed into the boy's stomach when he was an infant.

One of the seized feeding tube bags was turned over to investigators by a friend of Lacey Spears who told them Spears instructed her to remove the bag from Spears' home and dispose of it.

Other seized evidence includes a laptop and cellphone Spears used to post thousands of social media updates charting the life and death of Garnett and to perform Internet searches on the dangers of high sodium in children, prosecutors said.

While Neary ruled all of the evidence was constitutionally obtained, the trial judge will still have to decide whether evidence is relevant to the case, isn't overly prejudicial and meets other standards of trial evidence, legal analysts said.

Investigators said they believe Spears suffers from Munchausen by proxy, a psychiatric condition in which someone harms someone in their care to garner sympathy and attention. Spears' lawyers had sought to preclude prosecutors from bringing up the disorder, saying they have not raised it as a defense and she has not been officially diagnosed.

But Neary declined to rule on the matter, in addition to whether Garnett's medical records from more than 40 different hospitals, pharmacies, doctors offices and other health care practitioners the boy saw over his lifetime are admissible. Defense lawyers will also have to bring those objections to the trial judge. Neary postponed to a pretrial hearing a decision regarding statements Spears made to law enforcement authorities.

"He's punting ? for a lack of a better word ? to the trial judge," said Larry Cunningham, associate academic dean at St. John's School of Law. "It's better that person makes the decision on evidentiary questions."

Cunningham said that while defense lawyers are usually the ones who bring up psychiatric issues ? such as Munchausen ? prosecutors may be introducing the concept to establish motive. But doing that also has its pitfalls, he said.

"It's a little bit of a chicken-and-egg problem in a sense," Cunningham said. "In order to establish that this is murder ... they have to establish that all of these (doctor and hospital) visits were not for a legitimate medical reason."

The case is perhaps one of the first in Westchester or Rockland counties to involve Munchausen, said many legal observers, including Ted Brundage, a former prosecutor and Harrison defense lawyer not involved in the case.

"I never even heard about Munchausen," said Brundage, who has been practicing for 30 years. "It's fascinating but for the fact that a child has died."

http://www.people.com/article/lacey-...-for-his-death

Mom Accused in Salt Poisoning of 5-Year-Old Says Child May Be Responsible for His Death

(Sept. 30, 2014) Accused murderer Lacey Spears not only insists she's innocent but says her 5-year-old son, Garnett, may have been responsible for his own death, according to newly filed court documents.

She told authorities "the victim would once in a while play with his feeding tube and could have put something into it," according to a 43-page motion filed by the Westchester County prosecutor's office and obtained by PEOPLE.

And during "multiple statements" she made to police and doctors, she insisted "she did not murder the victim."

The defendant stated "that if she gave the victim the wrong medications or if she mixed something that killed the victim, that it was not her fault because the medications were prescribed," the documents state.

Spears, 26, of Chestnut Ridge, New York, has been charged with second-degree murder and manslaughter for the Jan. 23 death of Garnett, who died from salt poisoning. She is being held without bail and has pleaded not guilty to the charges.

The new documents are in response to Spears's defense attorneys' requests to have her statements suppressed as well as Garnett's lengthy medical history.

Defense attorneys David Sachs and Stephen Riebling also want the judge to prohibit any mention of Munchausen by Proxy, a disease where a parent sickens their child to get attention for themselves. Riebling declined to comment on the new filing when reached by PEOPLE.

The judge in the case will rule on these motions at a hearing on Oct. 15.

Garnett had been transferred to Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla, New York, from Nyack Hospital in Rockland County, on Jan. 19 after his sodium levels rose to dangerously high levels, authorities say.

Two days later, Garnett was brain dead but still on life support, which prompted the hospital to alert authorities.

Over the next couple of days, Spears talked a lot about salt.

The night before Garnett died, she told authorities when Garnett was younger "his sodium levels were 200 and the doctors could not explain why," the documents state.

Authorities noted Spears "looked visibly distraught, but showed no sign of tears," according to the documents.

She also told them "she used very little salt in the preparation of the victim's food and only used Himalayan salt," the documents state.

She said she "used a pinch of salt for flavor when feeding the victim blended fruits and vegetables through his GI feeding tube." She told police it was a mixture she learned of from a friend in Florida.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

Holy freaking crap. Is she seriously claiming the kid killed himself now?

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

Senior Member UncomfortablyNumb's Avatar
    This bitch can die in a fire.

Wait... Im not familiar with this at ALL but when someone has a feeding tube, does there need to be a concern for flavor? I thought it kind of bypassed the tasting step as a result of the whole feeding tube thing? Am I just confused?
    You're entitled to your own opinions. You're not entitled to your own facts.- D. Moynihan
    Quote Originally Posted by aquatwins View Post
    I WILL STICK MY DICK IN YOUR HEAD

Quote Originally Posted by Monter View Post
    Wait... Im not familiar with this at ALL but when someone has a feeding tube, does there need to be a concern for flavor? I thought it kind of bypassed the tasting step as a result of the whole feeding tube thing? Am I just confused?
    I never even thought about that.

Anyone with any medical background know the answer? I'd be interested in knowing this, as well.

This is a really good point.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    She transitioned from a stupid asshole to a dumb bitch.

For the most part yes. Mom has a feeding tube and we used to give her a liquid protein drink and any number of different meds. We still give her Cranberry Juice via the feeding tube as well as some meds. The whole reason she drinks her Cranberry juice via feeding tube is because she dislikes it.

That said, once in a while she burps and then she claims she can taste the drink or the pills.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

She is completely insane.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    For the most part yes. Mom has a feeding tube and we used to give her a liquid protein drink and any number of different meds. We still give her Cranberry Juice via the feeding tube as well as some meds. The whole reason she drinks her Cranberry juice via feeding tube is because she dislikes it.

That said, once in a while she burps and then she claims she can taste the drink or the pills.
    Given this - there would be no sense in seasoning something for a tube feeding right? That would be ( theoretically) a subtle thing that wouldnt matter to someone being tube fed. That sound right?
    You're entitled to your own opinions. You're not entitled to your own facts.- D. Moynihan
    Quote Originally Posted by aquatwins View Post
    I WILL STICK MY DICK IN YOUR HEAD

Given this - there would be no sense in seasoning something for a tube feeding right? That would be ( theoretically) a subtle thing that wouldnt matter to someone being tube fed. That sound right?
    That's right. The only reason I know of to put something in a feeding tube would be to get food or medicine into the person. Well, we do put coke in mom's tube to clean it. But yeah, no reason to put anything in that isn't medicinal or nutritional.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Agreed there's definitely no reason to add salt to his meal he wouldn't taste it anyways.

Jury selection began Monday with a pool of 90 potential jurors on hand at the courthouse. Several told the judge they had seen some of the extensive news coverage of the case.
    In rulings delivered last week, Lacey Spears' messages on Facebook, Twitter and MySpace were determined relevant and are likely to be introduced as evidence. Some of the posted photos depict Garnett's declining health, said acting state Supreme Court Justice Robert Neary.
    Neary also found that prosecutors can tell jurors about Internet research Spears did on her iPhone into the dangers of sodium in children and the properties of iodized salt.

In addition, the judge said Garnett's hospital records from Alabama, Florida and New York are relevant and 'inextricably interwoven into the fabric of this case. They provide a history of the child's medical issues and treatment leading up to his death. They illustrate the defendant's role as custodian and care giver.'
    Prosecutors believe Spears often lied to doctors about Garnett's health, for example claiming he had celiac disease when he didn't.
    Spears' lawyers have not publicly detailed a defense strategy and did not return calls seeking comment. Attorney Stephen Riebling said in July that the defense would focus 'on the relevant facts, not fiction.'
    Spears, originally from Decatur, Alabama, was living in Chestnut Ridge, New York, at the time of Garnett's death. She moved to Kentucky before her arrest in June and has been jailed since then. A man who says he is Garnett's father lives in Alabama.

Other evidence in the case includes bags used to feed Garnett which prosecutors say have 'extraordinary' concentrations of sodium. The prosecution says Spears tried to cover up by asking a friend to take a feeding bag, 'get rid of it and don't tell anybody.'
    The trial apparently will not include any reference to Munchausen by proxy, a disorder in which caretakers purposely but secretly harm children and then enjoy the attention and sympathy they receive. Some experts regard it as a mental illness and a defense to such crimes, while others consider it a motive. Several believe Spears' case fits the syndrome.
    Spears' lawyers asked the judge to prohibit any mention of Munchausen and prosecutors said they had no plans to bring it up.
    The murder charge alleges Garnett was killed 'under circumstances evincing a depraved indifference to human life' rather than with intent. It carries the same maximum sentence as intentional murder, however — 25 years to life. The manslaughter count alleges Spears killed her son 'while intending to cause serious physical injury.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3Q1k6Io8z
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

OK so we're already on Day 9 of the trial.

Poor Garnett ... he suffered so much.

Day 1 (Opening statements): http://www.lohud.com/story/news/crim...pens/22792525/

Day 2: http://www.lohud.com/story/news/crim...rial/22898277/

Day 3: http://www.lohud.com/story/news/crim...rial/22931277/

Day 4: http://www.lohud.com/story/news/crim...ideo/23148687/

Prosecutors showed jurors video Monday of 5-year-old Garnett Spears retching and twisting on his bed at Nyack Hospital shortly after his mother took him to the bathroom and four days before he died of salt poisoning.

Assistant District Attorney Christine Hatfield played part of the 21-minute clip in slow motion, showing the boy's mother, Lacey Spears, walking in front of the camera of an EEG machine, set up to monitor the boy's brain activity, and carrying a cup and thin piece of equipment on her way to the bathroom.

Minutes after she lifted her son back into bed, he can be seen keeled over as she walks around the foot of his bed and doesn't immediately tend to him. When a nurse comes to check on him, his mother rubs his back.
    Prosecutors played 40 video clips from Jan. 18-19, 2014, some of which show Garnett suffering.

In videos recorded the first day, he can be seen sitting, kneeling and moving freely in his hospital bed. The boy appears alert and responsive as a doctor examines him, testing his reflexes and tilting his head back.

In clips the following day, Garnett can be seen lying on his stomach, pulling his knees up to his chest and falling like dead weight onto the bed as his mother tries to lift him. Prosecutors showed a clip from that night of five hospital staffers surrounding him as he flails around.
    Day 5: http://www.lohud.com/story/news/crim...rial/23169637/

The video, shot from the camera on Garnett Spears' EEG machine, was recorded on the evening of Jan. 19, 2014, the day prosecutors say the boy's sodium level spiked. Prosecutors say Lacey Spears learned that day that her son would be released from the hospital because he wasn't exhibiting seizure activity.
    Day 6: http://www.lohud.com/story/news/crim...-six/23252241/

Dr. Ariel Sherbani, a pediatric neurologist, said he was called to consult on the Spears case Jan. 18 to help determine "whether the child was having seizures and, if so, what type of seizures." On the evening of the 18th, he said, Garnett was "awake, alert and seemed fine."

"Basically, I felt his examination was fine," he told jurors in response to the prosecutor's questions.

The next day, he said, he received a call saying the boy was having seizures. When he arrived at the hospital, Garnett was on medications that made him lethargic and paralyzed. Sherbani said though Garnett was very sick, nothing indicated he was having seizures, which the doctor described as "like an electrical storm in your brain."
    Under questioning by Westchester Assistant District Attorney Patricia Murphy, Sherbani said he was "puzzled" by what Lacey Spears described as seizures her son had as an infant, when she said his sodium level was found to be even higher than it was at Nyack Hospital.

"I couldn't understand what it was," he said. "I asked her if she was sure, because it's such a high level it's not compatible with life."

Garnett was transferred to Westchester Medical Center on Jan. 19, and Sherbani again was called in for a consult. Though still lethargic from the medications he'd been given to treat the supposed seizures, Sherbani said the boy was improving as the drugs wore off.

On the morning of Jan. 23, however, "he clearly deteriorated," Sherbani said, adding, "It seemed like a catastrophic decline in the child's condition ... I remember being shocked about it."

He said a CAT scan revealed cerebral edema, which he described as an increase in fluid in brain cells, which causes them to crush each other in "a vicious cycle ... death can ensue very quickly."

Garnett Spears died later that day.
    Day 7: http://www.lohud.com/story/news/crim...fies/23354687/

At mid-afternoon, Spears called Bompensiero into the room to ask about results of blood work that had been ordered after a finger prick revealed Garnett's glucose level was elevated. Spears asked whether the boy's sodium level "was normal," Bompensiero said. The nurse testified that the sodium level was within the normal range.

About 4:30 p.m., Garnett was dry-heaving, having severe headaches again, was agitated and rolling around, Bompensiero testified. Roughly 20 minutes later, she noticed a part of the boy's feeding tube was open, she said. By 5:30 p.m., Garnett appeared to be having seizures and his "eyes were moving around in his head," she said.

Spears, she said, "was screaming and pointing at him to look at him." Bompensiero called a hospital code, prompting doctors and nurses to rush in. They gave him medication in an effort to control what appeared to be seizure activity. Staff intubated and sedated him, she said.

Spears asked to "check the labs," Bompensiero said.

"She said last time this happened his sodium level was high," she said. When Spears was told she was correct, she replied, "Yeah, I know. I know my Garnett," Bompensiero testified.
    Day 8: http://www.lohud.com/story/news/crim...nues/23550505/

Garnett Spears was "healthy and happy" and "jumping off the bed, running around the floor" at Nyack Hospital on Jan. 18, 2014, just five days before his death, a friend of the boy's mother testified at her murder trial Tuesday.

Danielle Grossenbacher, who had befriended Lacey Spears at a Chestnut Ridge retreat four months earlier, said it was a different Garnett she encountered the next day at the hospital.

"When I walked into the room Garnett was on the bed with hospital staff around him," Grossenbacher said during the eighth day of testimony at Spears' trial. "His body was flailing all over the bed and he was unresponsive."
    Also Tuesday, Dr. Sarika Sunku, a pediatrician who treated Garnett at Nyack Hospital, testified that Spears "just had a smile on her face" when told that bloodwork showed the boy's sodium level surged. Under cross-examination by defense lawyer Stephen Riebling, Sunku acknowledged that elevated salt levels in the blood can be caused by water loss and do not necessarily mean sodium was introduced.

Grossenbacher also conceded under cross-examination that Spears was "crying and flailing" in the hospital hallway for 90 minutes after being told Garnett would not survive.
    Day 9 (today): http://www.lohud.com/story/news/crim...nine/23631005/

Doctor: Spears was OK with biopsy, not feeding eval

When Dr. Ivan Darenkov suggested Garnett Spears go under general anesthesia for a biopsy to determine whether the 5-year-old had celiac disease, the boy's mother agreed.

But when the pediatrician repeatedly recommended a nutritional and feeding evaluation that might have led to the removal of a feeding tube in the boy's stomach, Lacey Spears didn't appear as responsive, Darenkov testified Wednesday afternoon at Spears' murder trial in White Plains.

"Did she ever follow up?" prosecutor Patricia Murphy asked.

"No," Darenkov replied.

But Spears never refused the evaluation and even had a follow-up appointment scheduled, argued the defense lawyers for the 27-year-old former Chestnut Ridge woman accused of killing her son by poisoning him with salt through the feeding tube while he was hospitalized a year ago.

Admitted to Nyack Hospital, the boy was transferred to Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla, where he died Jan. 23, 2014.

"Lacey Spears never said, 'No, I will not have Garnett Spears do that evaluation,' did she?" defense lawyer Stephen Riebling asked.

"She never said no," Darenkov replied.

"The plan was that he would return in January, is that correct?" Riebling asked.

"Absolutely," Darenkov replied.

But prosecutors implied Spears likely wouldn't have followed up, because for months, the pediatrician, who saw Garnett five times from April through November, repeated the same recommendation, but with no reaction from Spears.

"If not every time we had a visit or discussion, then almost every time, I recommended a feeding and nutritional evaluation."

A feeding evaluation would have required five specialists examine how well Garnett ate in a hospital setting, while a nutritional evaluation would have required days of counting calories to make sure he was eating enough food.

Spears did, however, agree to an endoscopy after blood tests showed a possibility that Garnett had celiac disease, an autoimmune disorder triggered by gluten intolerance. During the procedure, which Riebling described as "invasive," Garnett was placed under general anesthesia while a long, thin tube with a small camera was threaded through to his small intestine, where a biopsy was taken. The biopsy showed that Garnett did not have the disease.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

Thank you for posting all of the above Tupelo.

I hate this bitch so much.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBeWithMe View Post
    Fucking good.

http://www.usnews.com/news/us/articl...isoning-of-son

A woman convicted of fatally poisoning her 5-year-old son with salt in his hospital feeding tube got a break on her murder sentence Wednesday because she suffers from a mental illness she has refused to acknowledge, the judge said.

Lacey Spears, 27, of Scottsville, Kentucky, was sentenced to 20 years to life in prison for the 2014 death of Garnett-Paul Spears at a suburban New York hospital.

i used this woman for a short report i made the other day about munchausen by proxy and munchausen (by internet) <- which is totally not a recognized thing at this point. i also brought up that warrior hoax website and lunch cancer.

i love mds because you guys basically write my reports for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Not to be morbid or anything, but it might have been a blessing in disguise that this kid died, because I'd imagine he'd be fucked up for life after the shit this woman did to him.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Web of Lies on ID was about her tonight, made me hate her even more than just reading about her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
    Because they are probably not ghetto and hood like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Words Words View Post
    Web of Lies on ID was about her tonight, made me hate her even more than just reading about her.
    I'm watching it right now. Is her dad really the baby's father?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

no...she just likes to lie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
    Because they are probably not ghetto and hood like me.

Thread Information