Thread: Bodies of 800 babies, long-dead, found in septic tank at former Irish home for unwed mothers

Bodies of 800 babies, long-dead, found in septic tank at former Irish home for unwed mothers

In a town in western Ireland, where castle ruins pepper green landscapes, there?s a six-foot stone wall that once surrounded a place called the Home. Between 1925 and 1961, thousands of ?fallen women? and their ?illegitimate? children passed through the Home, run by the Bon Secours nuns in Tuam.

Many of the women, after paying a penance of indentured servitude for their out-of-wedlock pregnancy, left the Home for work and lives in other parts of Ireland and beyond. Some of their children were not so fortunate.

More than five decades after the Home was closed and destroyed ? where a housing development and children?s playground now stands ? what happened to nearly 800 of those abandoned children has now emerged: Their bodies were piled into a massive septic tank sitting in the back of the structure and forgotten, with neither gravestones nor coffins.

?The bones are still there,? local historian Catherine Corless, who uncovered the origins of the mass grave in a batch of never-before-released documents, told The Washington Post in a phone interview. ?The children who died in the Home, this was them.?

The grim findings, which are being investigated by police, provide a glimpse into a particularly dark time for unmarried pregnant women in Ireland, where societal and religious mores stigmatized them. Without means to support themselves, women by the hundreds wound up at the Home. ?When daughters became pregnant, they were ostracized completely,? Corless said. ?Families would be afraid of neighbors finding out, because to get pregnant out of marriage was the worst thing on Earth. It was the worst crime a woman could commit, even though a lot of the time it had been because of a rape.?

According to documents Corless provided the Irish Mail on Sunday, malnutrition and neglect killed many of the children, while others died of measles, convulsions, TB, gastroenteritis and pneumonia. Infant mortality at the Home was staggeringly high.

?If you look at the records, babies were dying two a week, but I?m still trying to figure out how they could [put the bodies in a septic tank],? Corless said. ?Couldn?t they have afforded baby coffins??

Special kinds of neglect and abuse were reserved for the Home Babies, as locals call them. Many in surrounding communities remember them. They remember how they were segregated to the fringes of classrooms, and how the local nuns accentuated the differences between them and the others. They remember how, as one local told the Irish Central, they were ?usually gone by school age ? either adopted or dead.?

According to Irish Central, a 1944 local health board report described the children living at the Home as ?emaciated,? ?pot-bellied,? ?fragile? and with ?flesh hanging loosely on limbs.?

Corless has a vivid recollection of the Home Babies. ?If you acted up in class, some nuns would threaten to seat you next to the Home Babies,? she said. She said she recalled one instance in which an older schoolgirl wrapped a tiny stone in a bright candy wrapper and gave it to a Home Baby as a gift.

?When the child opened it, she saw she?d been fooled,? Corless told Irish Central. ?Of course, I copied her later and I tried to play the joke on another little Home girl. I thought it was funny at the time?. Years after, I asked myself what did I do to that poor little girl that never saw a sweet? That has stuck with me all my life. A part of me wants to make up to them.?

She said she first started investigating the Home, which most locals wanted to ?forget,? when she started working on a local annual historical journal. She heard there was a little graveyard near what had been the Home, and that piqued her curiosity. How many children were there?

So she requested the records through the local registration house to find out. The attendant ?came back a couple of weeks later and said the number was staggering, just hundreds and hundreds, that it was nearly 800 dead children,? Corless said.

Once, in 1995, Corless said in the phone interview, several boys had stumbled across the mass grave, which lay beneath a cracked piece of concrete: ?The boys told me it had been filled to the brim with human skulls and bones. They said even to this day they still have nightmares of finding the bodies.?

Locals suspect that the number of bodies in the mass grave, which will likely soon be excavated, may be even higher than 800. ?God knows who else is in the grave,? one anonymous source told the Daily Mail. ?It?s been lying there for years, and no one knows the full extent of the total of bodies down there.?
    Corless has a vivid recollection of the Home Babies. ?If you acted up in class, some nuns would threaten to seat you next to the Home Babies,? she said. She said she recalled one instance in which an older schoolgirl wrapped a tiny stone in a bright candy wrapper and gave it to a Home Baby as a gift.

?When the child opened it, she saw she?d been fooled,? Corless told Irish Central. ?Of course, I copied her later and I tried to play the joke on another little Home girl. I thought it was funny at the time?. Years after, I asked myself what did I do to that poor little girl that never saw a sweet? That has stuck with me all my life. A part of me wants to make up to them.?

She said she first started investigating the Home, which most locals wanted to ?forget,? when she started working on a local annual historical journal. She heard there was a little graveyard near what had been the Home, and that piqued her curiosity. How many children were there?

So she requested the records through the local registration house to find out. The attendant ?came back a couple of weeks later and said the number was staggering, just hundreds and hundreds, that it was nearly 800 dead children,? Corless said.

Once, in 1995, Corless said in the phone interview, several boys had stumbled across the mass grave, which lay beneath a cracked piece of concrete: ?The boys told me it had been filled to the brim with human skulls and bones. They said even to this day they still have nightmares of finding the bodies.?

Locals suspect that the number of bodies in the mass grave, which will likely soon be excavated, may be even higher than 800. ?God knows who else is in the grave,? one anonymous source told the Daily Mail. ?It?s been lying there for years, and no one knows the full extent of the total of bodies down there.?
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...s/?tid=rssfeed

My first thought after the initial shock was a movie I saw a couple years ago about an Irish laundry where girls were forced to live and endure
    horrible abuse at the hands of some of the nuns running the place.

The Magdalene Sisters.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magdalene_Sisters

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/wom...Laundries.html
    Last edited by u2addict; 06-03-2014 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Magdalene Sisters

Fibro Fog has taken over. I am in a constant state of dyscognition so please excuse my retardation.
    'The worst things in the world are justified by belief'- Raised by Wolves SOI

"Your life is short, it's the longest thing you'll ever do/ the worse the curse was that your dreams came true/
    God is a mirror in which each man sees himself/ Hell is place where you don't need anyone's help"

~You got to cry with out weeping. Talk without speaking
    Scream without raising your voice~

Surely there have to be survivor stories if it only closed in 1961? The last kids there would be in their 50's now. The younger nuns should only be in their 60's or 70's.

We have ongoing inquiries in court this year over the treatment of kids in Catholic institutions during the same time period. If there are no survivors coming forward to speak, that's just as telling as 800 children's skeletons in a septic tank.

Dumping dead babies & children in a pile of shit shows exactly how much those godly women cared about them. It's a damn shame there is no god & an even bigger shame there's no cameras with a live feed at the gates of hell. The looks on the nuns faces as the flames started licking at their habits would've been priceless. "But we were doing God's worrrrrrk ... Sizzle. Spit. Crackle"

They weren't supposed to be thrown in a mass grave -

This says water tank, not septic, but after the stories told here & elsewhere I have no illusions about what life was like for these poor kids. This article also says this has now become a gardai investigation following the filing of a missing persons report with more filings to come -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...d-mothers.html

The bodies of nearly 800 babies are believed to have been interred in a concrete tank beside a former home for unmarried mothers. The dead babies are thought to have been secretly buried beside a home for single mothers and their children in County Galway, Ireland, over a period of 36 years. It is suspected that 796 children were interred on unconsecrated ground without headstones or coffins next to the home run by the Bon Secours nuns in Tuam between 1925 and 1961. Newly unearthed reports show that they suffered malnutrition and neglect, which caused the deaths of many, while others died of measles, convulsions, TB, gastroenteritis and pneumonia.

The babies were usually buried in a plain shroud without a coffin in a plot that had housed a water tank attached to the workhouse that preceded the mother and child home. No memorial was erected to the dead children and the grave was left unmarked. The site is now surrounded by a housing estate. But a missing persons' report just filed to Irish police, gardai, means that the burial site may now be excavated. A relative of one boy who lived there, William Joseph Dolan, has made a formal complaint to gardai after she failed to find his death certificate, despite records in the home stating that he had died.

A source close to the investigation said: 'No one knows the total number of babies in the grave. There are 796 death records but they are only the ones we know of. 'God knows who else is in the grave. It's been lying there for years and no one knows the full extent or total of bodies down there.' The existence of the grave was uncovered by local woman Catherine Corless, who compiled the records of 796 babies who died at the home. She has established a group called the Children's Home Graveyard Committee to erect a memorial. She said: 'People who had relations there are the most interested. They are delighted something is being done.

'When I was doing the research, someone mentioned there was a graveyard there for babies but I found out there was more to it than that.' With the help of the Births and Deaths Registrar in Galway, Mrs Corless researched all children whose place of death was marked 'Children's Home, Tuam'. Galway County Council has all the cemetery books for Mayo and Galway, and with the help of the archivist there, Mrs Corless cross-checked the grave records. She said: 'There was just one child who was buried in a family plot in the graveyard in Tuam. That's how I am certain there are 796 children in the mass grave. These girls were run out of their family home and never taken back, so why would they take the babies back to bury them, either?'

The records state that a young single mother called Bridget Dolan from Clonfert, Co Galway, gave birth to two boys who were placed in the home. John Desmond Dolan was born on 22 February 1946 weighing 8lb 9oz. His birth was recorded as 'normal' but he died from measles on 11 June 1947. His brother, William Joseph Dolan, was born on 21 May 1950 and was said to have died the following year, but there is no death certificate for William. His relative, who asked not to be named, said: 'I just want to know what happened to him. He may have passed on, yet there is no death certificate. I believe he might have been fostered out, and then moved to the US. 'He could still be alive, or he's with his brother in the grave. I want to find out.'

A local health board inspection report carried out in 1944 reveals the conditions the children and their mothers lived in. It reveals that in April that year, 271 children were listed as living there with 61 single mothers, a total of 333 - way over its capacity of 243. One 13-month-old boy was described as a 'miserable, emaciated child with voracious appetite and no control over bodily functions and probably mentally defective'. In the same room was a 'delicate' ten-month-old baby who was a 'child of itinerants', while one five-year-old child was described as having 'hands growing near shoulders'. Another 31 infants in the same room were described as 'poor babies, emaciated and not thriving'. The majority were aged between three weeks and 13 months and were 'fragile, pot-bellied and emaciated'. The oldest child who died there was Sheila Tuohy, aged nine, in 1934. One of the youngest was Thomas Duffy, aged two days.

Teresa Kelly, the chairman of the Children's Home Graveyard Committee, said an excavation was long overdue. 'It's an awful story,' she said. 'It's a mass grave. Many of the babies were malnourished. We want to make sure those children's identities are acknowledged. They had names, they were human beings, not animals.' The grave was discovered in the 1970s by 12-year-old friends, Barry Sweeney and Francis Hopkins. Mr Sweeney said: 'It was a concrete slab and we used to play there but there was always something hollow underneath it so we decided to bust it open and it was full to the brim of skeletons. 'The priest came over and blessed it. I don't know what they did with it after that. You could see all the skulls.'

The home, which closed in 1961, was one of several such establishments - Catholic and Protestant -for 'fallen women' across Ireland which had astonishingly high infant mortality rates. Sean Ross Abbey in Tipperary was another: in the first year after it opened in 1930, 60 babies died out of a total of 120. Those who survived, meanwhile, were often sold abroad to childless couples. At a memorial service at the site of the home yesterday, it emerged that women who gave birth at Sean Ross and other homes plan to file missing persons reports in a bid to track down their children.

Dark secrets: Children at the tea room at Sean Ross Abbey in Tipperary eat under the stern gaze of a nun

The nursery at Sean Ross: The home, which opened in 1930, had an astonishingly high infant mortality rate

Life at the home: Babies and children enjoy the sunshine outside the children's home at Sean Ross Abbey

Philomena Lee, whose three-year-old son, Anthony, was handed over by nuns at Sean Ross to an American family 60 years ago, was among those at the memorial service. She said: 'It's not about getting angry, it's about doing what's right and it's about opening all the files.' And Mrs Lee, whose story was made into the Oscar-nominated film, Philomena, added: 'Maybe the State never thought the mass graves would be found out about. They seem to be wanting to push it under the carpet, but it needs to be told.' She said: 'I don't know how many bodies of mothers and children are in graves all over the country, 'I'm shocked at the latest news of the mass grave [at Tuam] - it's appalling and shouldn't be hidden

More pix at link

An 85-year-old woman who survived the children's home in Tuam has told of the miserable conditions at the home, where she was placed in 1932. The woman, who gave her name only as Mary, and now lives in the west of Ireland, spent four years in the home before being placed with a foster family. She said: 'I remember going into the home when I was about four. There was a massive hall in it and it was full of young kids running round and they were dirty and cold. 'There were well over 100 children in there and there were three or four nuns who minded us. 'The building was very old and we were let out the odd time, but at night the place was absolutely freezing with big stone walls. 'When we were eating it was in this big long hall and they gave us all this soup out of a big pot, which I remember very well. It was rotten to taste, but it was better than starving.' Mary recalled that the children were 'rarely washed', and often wore the same clothes for weeks at a time. She said: 'We were filthy dirty. I remember one time when I soiled myself, the nuns ducked me down into a big cold bath and I never liked nuns after that.'

Fb page for Mother/Baby Home Research where Catherine Corless posted this re her research on Tuam

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?i...670&ref=stream

The Mother/Baby Home Tuam

The Mother/Baby Home in Tuam was opened in 1925 and was run by the Bon Secours Sisters to cater for unmarried mothers and their babies.

This was an era in our history when pregnancy before marriage was deeply frowned upon by church, state and family. The unfortunate woman who found herself in this predicament was quickly sent to an institution such as the Mother/Baby Home out of sight of prying neighbours and relatives.

The Bon Secours Sisters were a nursing congregation who had come from Dublin to take charge of the hospital wing of Glenamaddy Workhouse, which catered for the destitute, old and infirm, orphans and unmarried mothers. These Workhouses had been instigated by the Irish Poor Law since the 1840’s, but now after the Treaty, the Irish Free State reformed the whole system and put in place administration on a county basis, so that separate arrangements were made for the aged and infirm to go to County Homes, and for the unmarried mothers and orphans to go to institutions.

All Workhouses were closed, but it was decided that the one on the Dublin road in Tuam would be chosen as a Mother/Baby Home. The Home building itself was in a good structural state but needed quite a bit of repair. The Sisters and some of the mothers and children began the task of clearing and cleaning, and by the end of the year 1925, all were ready to move in. Dr. Thomas B. Costello was the Medical Officer for the Home and the Rev. Peter J. Kelly, a grandnephew of the former Archbishop of Tuam Dr. John McEvilly, was chaplain.

The building belonged to Galway Co.Co. and they were responsible for repairs and Maintenance, and a capitation grant was paid to the nuns for the cost and upkeep of the mothers and babies, and for the salaries of doctors. A maternity wing was added some time later. The travel writer Halliday Sutherland visited the Home in the 1950’s and it is worth quoting his review of the Home:

“The grounds were well kept and had many flower beds. The Home is run by the Sisters of the Bon Secours of Paris and the Reverend Mother showed me around.

Each of the Sisters is a fully trained nurse and midwife. Some are also trained children’s nurses. An unmarried girl may come here to have her baby. She agrees to stay in the Home for one year. During this time she looks after her baby and assists the nuns in domestic work. She is unpaid. At the end of the year she may leave. She may take her baby with her or leave the baby at the Home in the hope that it will be adopted. The nuns keep the child until the age of seven, when it is sent to an industrial school. There were 51 confinements in 1954 and the nuns now looked after 120 children. For each child or mother in the Home, the Galway Co.Co. pays ?1 a week. Children of five or over attend the local schools. The whole building was fresh and clean.”

Haliday Sutherland, however, did not interview any of the resident mothers or helpers. Had he done so, he would have got quite a different story to the one he was told. During my researching the Home, I spoke to some mothers who gave birth there and their account of their confinements speaks of long unattended labours without sight of a Sister or midwife, it was only during the birth that a nurse was in attendance with only the help of an untrained resident. The doctor gave one examination when the mother was first admitted and that was the last they saw of him. No drugs of any kind were ever administered to help with pain, no kindness ever shown. Only mothers who had the ability to pay ?100 for delivery services were allowed to leave after the birth. It was a condition that all others must wait a full year in the Home filling domestic duties, cooking, cleaning, minding the babies and children and tending to the gardens. The mothers did not have the choice of keeping their babies as outlined by the writer Halliday Sutherland. Seeing that their confinement in the first place was a hush-hush affair, no family would allow a daughter back home with a baby, as Irish Catholics in those days were in fear of a much distorted doctrine by the Catholic Church that the unmarried mother had committed a heinous crime. It is also to be remembered that the man who had fathered the child was never villainized or held responsible. Neither did the Irish state at that time offer any support for the unmarried mother.

The late John Cunningham, former editor of the ‘Connaught Tribune’ spent his early days in the Tuam Home, as his mother died in his infancy, and in an article which he published in the ‘Connaught Tribune’ April 1998, he speaks of the cruelty of the system which allowed the separation of babies from their mothers. In his article entitled ‘Emotional minefield of the rights of mothers and adopted children from the Ireland of yesterday’, John relayed the conversation he had with a woman who had spent most of her life in the Home: ‘What were the young women to do? Many weren’t wanted at home, they were ostracised by society. In those days a young woman could not become pregnant and stay at home. It was as simple as that. I saw the devastation when they were parted from their children. They nursed the child and looked after it for a year and then they went one way and the child stayed to be adopted or to be boarded out a few years later. I don’t know if any of them recovered from the heart-breaking parting. It was heart rending’.

For the children who were not adopted from the Home, they attended the Mercy Convent N.S. or the Presentation N.S. once they reached the age of 5. They were brought down to the schools in a line and always left a little earlier in the evenings, to ensure that there would be no integration with the other pupils. The sound of their heavy clogs making their way up the Dublin road is a memory that resonates with most people. After they made their first communion, many of the children were fostered out by families. There was an allowance per week from the Government at the time, and a yearly clothing allowance, provided to those families for the care of the children. Unfortunately, there was no vetting system in place to check on the suitability of those families to take those young vulnerable children, and many of them were sent to uncaring unscrupulous families who spent very little of the allowance on them. Many of the children were treated little better than slaves, but had to remain with the families until they reached 16 years of age after which many of them emigrated to England in the hope of a better life. Some of the children fared a little better, with the foster family accepting them as one of their own, and some even inherited the farmsteads they were sent to.

The Home was closed in 1961 as it had fallen into a dilapidated state. The children who had remained there were sent to the Industrial School in Castlepollard, Co. Westmeath. The Home and grounds remained vacant for a number of years, except for the rear building which was used by ‘Bontex’ who made school uniforms.

In the early 1970’s the whole building was demolished to make way for a new housing estate. When I started my research into the Home, I spoke to some of the residents who had moved into this housing estate on the Dublin/Athenry road, and they indicated that there was an unmarked graveyard in an area at the rear of where the Home once stood. It was believed that it was an angels plot for unbaptised babies, but further in my research I discovered that in fact, many children and young babies were also buried here. I was astonished to find that there was no formal marking or plaque to indicate that these children were buried there. I decided to contact the Registration Office in Galway to check for deaths in the Home. I was dismayed to find that in fact the number of children who died in the Home during its existence 1925-1961 numbered nearly 800. I now have all those children’s names, date of death, and age at death, which will be recorded into a special book.

It just did not seem right that all those children lay there unnamed and forgotten. Hence, I made contact with the Western Traveller and Intercultural Development (WTID) and a committee of interested people emerged, all with the view that some sort of Memorial should be erected in this children’s graveyard in dedication to their memory. Our committee is named: ‘The Children’s Home Graveyard Committee’.

We introduced our Project to erect a Memorial to the children, to the Tuam Town Council at one of their meetings, and got a unanimous decision that they would help us with some funding when they get their 2014 Grant Allowance. The Heritage Council have also promised to help but have cautioned us that Heritage Grants have been cut for 2014. Our fundraising is ongoing as it will take a large sum to complete the whole Project, i.e. to erect a proper Monument, clear the pathways into the graveyard, and to maintain the area with flowers and shrubs etc.

A St. Jarlath’s Credit Union account has been set up for anyone who would like to contribute to this very worthy Project.

Catherine Corless

Lots of articles via this link

http://www.irishcentral.com/opinion/...ass-grave.html

I think these are Tuam kids rather than publicity shots from Sean Ross Abbey as seen in most articles

Last edited by blighted star; 06-03-2014 at 10:56 PM.

Don't y'all know coffins cost money? Who wants to pay for individual coffins when the whole lot can be buried in one big concrete box for free.

Oy, that pic with all the babies in their cages with the nuns standing by looks so cold and sanitary. These are babies and they need and want to be held.

Auschwitz also had publicity shots as well as propaganda films that made the place out to be cheerful and fun with activies, food and entertainment.
    Fun for the whole family.

Fibro Fog has taken over. I am in a constant state of dyscognition so please excuse my retardation.
    'The worst things in the world are justified by belief'- Raised by Wolves SOI

"Your life is short, it's the longest thing you'll ever do/ the worse the curse was that your dreams came true/
    God is a mirror in which each man sees himself/ Hell is place where you don't need anyone's help"

~You got to cry with out weeping. Talk without speaking
    Scream without raising your voice~

http://www.salon.com/2014/06/09/the_...ts_much_worse/

The Catholic Irish babies scandal: It gets much worse
    Unauthorised Vaccine Trials

It gets worse. One week after revelations of how over the span of 35 years, a County Galway home for unwed mothers cavalierly disposed of the bodies of nearly 800 babies and toddlers on a site that held a septic tank, new reports are leveling a whole different set of charges about what happened to the children of those Irish homes.

In harrowing new information revealed this weekend, the Daily Mail has uncovered medical records that suggest 2,051 children across several Irish care homes were given a diphtheria vaccine from pharmaceutical company Burroughs Wellcome in a suspected illegal drug trial that ran from 1930 to 1936. As the Mail reports, “Michael Dwyer, of Cork University’s School of History, found the child vaccination data by trawling through tens of thousands of medical journal articles and archive files.

He discovered that the trials were carried out before the vaccine was made available for commercial use in the UK.” There is no evidence yet – and there may never be – that any family consent was ever offered, or about how many children had adverse effects or died as a result of the vaccinations. Dwyer told the Mail, “

The fact that no record of these trials can be found in the files relating to the Department of Local Government and Public Health, the Municipal Health Reports relating to Cork and Dublin, or the Wellcome Archives in London, suggests that vaccine trials would not have been acceptable to government, municipal authorities, or the general public.

However, the fact that reports of these trials were published in the most prestigious medical journals suggests that this type of human experimentation was largely accepted by medical practitioners and facilitated by authorities in charge of children’s residential institutions.”

In a related story, GSK — formerly Wellcome — revealed Monday on Newstalk Radio that 298 children in 10 different care homes were involved in medical trials in the ’60s and ’70s that left “80 children ill after they were accidentally administered a vaccine intended for cattle.”

All of the above = God's work

Unmarried mothers, pregnant rape victims, abortion = sin.

Makes perfect sense.

Holy shit. this just keeps getting more horrific.

There is no evidence yet ? and there may never be ? that any family consent was ever offered, or about how many children had adverse effects or died as a result of the vaccinations. Dwyer told the Mail, ?

while this is all horrific and everything and it is totally unsurprising to me that they used kids as guinea pigs, it's quite a leap to think that the babies they found dead were a result of vaccinations. maybe, but maybe not.

just a whole lot of unwanted babies in a country where god was against birth control and abortion. horrific, yes. but not shocking to me.

...And once again the media has indeed exaggerated a story:

http://news.msn.com/world/media-exag...rish-orphanage

It's still bad, of course, but not as bad as initially reported.

Until recent weeks, nobody had put a precise number on the fatalities at Tuam. Corless spent months — and more than 3,000 euros ($4,000) of her own money — buying copies of death certificates and organizing them.

Her list of the dead shows that nearly 80 percent were younger than 1; two died within 10 minutes of birth and never received first names. Ninety-one died in the 1920s, 247 in the 1930s, 388 in the 1940s, 70 in the 1950s, and one more child in 1960. The most common causes were flu, measles, pneumonia, tuberculosis and whooping cough. Contrary to the allegations of widespread starvation highlighted in some reports, only 18 children were recorded as suffering from severe malnutrition.

Thread Information