Thread: Anthony Hensley, 37, Was Killed By A Swan

Anthony Hensley, 37, Was Killed By A Swan

Another of today's threads reminded me of this. Never make the mistake of failing to take swan hissy fits seriously. I know I always did until I heard this story.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-drowning.html

A man died after he fell off a kayak into a pond and a swan attacked him. Anthony Hensley, 37, drowned on Saturday after the swan he was checking as part of his job at a condominium complex in Cook County, Illinois charged at him. Authorities believe the man, who was devoted to caring for swans, got too close to the large bird or to its nesting area before he was attacked

Mr Hensley was at the pond because he was hired by a company to try to keep geese away from the housing complex along Bay Colony Drive. The procedure the father of two young daughters was supposed to use to keep the geese away was to bring a swan to the area to deter the other birds.

Mr Hensley had been checking on the swan while on a kayak when he fell over into the water. He had attempted to resurface bringing his head above the water and moving toward the shoreline on a few occasions, witnesses told NBC Chicago. But Mr Hensley ultimately remained under water and did not come back to the surface

His father, Raymond, told CBS Chicago that his son was wearing heavy clothes and boots that weighed him down in the water while being attacked by the big bird. He said to the station: 'It's tragic for him to have to spend the last few moments like that.' Emergency crews arrived at the scene and pulled the father from the water and had attempted to save him. It proved to be unsuccessful.

Mr Hensley, who lived in nearby Villa Park, Illinois, was taken to the Advocate Lutheran General Hospital. He was pronounced dead at 8.16am. An autopsy ruled that the father died of an accidental drowning. Mr Hensley's family told CBS Chicago that they are trying to cope with tragic loss. Tony Macri, brother of Mr Hensley's wife, Amy, told the television station that his sister is devastated.

The couple had been married for four years, he said. Along with his family, Mr Hensley was passionate about looking after swans as part of his regular work In his free time, he shared his good sense of humor with his family, his father said. 'He?s going to be remembered as one of the most wonderful fathers in the world,' he said. 'A very good father, a very good husband; there wasn?t a mean bone in his body.

Wife of Anthony Hensley, who died after swan attack, sues employer Network Writers News Corp Australia April 23, 2014 11:49PM

THE wife of a man who died after a vicious swan attack two years ago is suing his employer and the apartment complex where he looked after the birds. Amy Hensley, who contends the swan attack contributed to the drowning of her husband, Anthony Hensley, said the defendants ?knew or should have known that mute swans are strongly territorial with a dangerous propensity to attack,? according to the lawsuit cited by the Chicago Tribune. Anthony Hensley, a father of two, drowned in April 2012 after he fell out of a kayak when a swan attacked at the Bay Colony Pond in Des Plaines, Illinois, where he tended to the birds. According to reports at the time, the giant swan continued to lunge at him as was dragged underwater by the weight of clothes and heavy boots. Hensley came up at least once after his kayak tipped in the pond, but by the time dive crews finally pulled him out of the water, more than 30 minutes had passed, witnesses told CBS.

Vicious ... mute swans ?attack by smashing at their victims with bony spurs in the wings, accompanied by biting with their large bill,? the lawsuit says.

?They probably thought that he was going too close to their eggs, and they were too scared, and they just attacked him,? eyewitness Daniel Gamanov said. Ms Hensley?s lawsuit notes that a mute swan ? the type used at the pond to keep geese away ? ?is one of the heaviest flying birds, with males averaging about 24 to 26-pounds (11 to 12 kilograms).? The birds are also highly aggressive and ?attack by smashing at their victims with bony spurs in the wings, accompanied by biting with their large bill,? the suit says. Ms Hensley?s attorney pointed to the Tribune Illinois? Animal Control Act which says the owner of an animal that attacks a can be held liable for damages in certain circumstances. The defendants wouldn?t return requests to comment on the case.

I hate those things, plus geese.

RIP Anthony.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

This youtuber doesn't know a swan from a goose

Or life from death,

But you'll get an idea of what a grumpy water fowl can do to a kayaker

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    This is seriously fucked up. Holy shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Those Chicago geese are hardcore.

Sorry, double post...as are the swans. When my brother was 5-6 he had a couple of geese chase him down. Thought the little guy was gonna get tore up. Don't mess with them!

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    But not really shocked. Birds'll fuck you up if you mess with them...and even if there's just the "potential" for you to...they'll come after you.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Is this common knowledge or something?? I had no idea.
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

what a sad story! They are so aggressive and don't seem to scare easily with human contact..reminds me of babysitting when I was younger- taking the kids to feed the geese- ended up with us sprinting back to the car, barely making it. I can't stand those things!

It's kind of common knowledge but it's one of those things no-one takes seriously unless they're on the receiving end because it's a goofy big bird that waddles like an obese old man & it looks extremely comical to everyone that isn't being personally terrorised.

At least ours come in the correct shade of "evil swan"as a warning (life imitates classical ballet)

(does that surfing pic remind you guys of anything? Loch Ness Monster debunked?)

What I don't understand is, if he were going out on the water, why would he wear such heavy clothes & boots, and no life jacket?

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    I used to live in that area. My roommate had a job at McDonald's and every time she came home with food, the geese and swans would chase her. I used to laugh, but now I see how dangerous they can be.

Someone in my area recently drowned by falling off a pier with heavy clothes and steel toe boots on. Sometimes you just don't anticipate going for a swim. It was probably something very routine for him. RIP man!

Yeah. Swans are pretty but mean as fuck. Oh, and they're huge.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Stupid. I didn't even think about it. We actually have wild black swan nests 10 mins walk from our house, they fly goofily over our house all the time & I take the kids down by the water a fair bit. I'll be a lot more careful when they're looking for lizards & turtles in the reeds now.

Where they don't have maps.......such as..
    Ugh...we have geese around our neighborhood clubhouse pond. They're aggressive and shit everywhere. Hate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by blighted star
    I was about to be annoyed that this thread was still active, but I see now it's morphed into offers of sex for chilli confectionary, so carry on guys :)

Thread Information