Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Andrew Sadek (20) was found dead in a river almost two months after he was reported missing

Andrew Sadek autopsy report released

Posted: Aug 23, 2014 2:43 PM CDT
    Updated: Aug 23, 2014 2:46 PM CDT
    By Krista Boehm - email

The North Dakota State College of Science (NDSCS) Campus Police Department has released the final autopsy report regarding the death of Andrew Sadek.
    The medical examiner ruled that Sadek died from a gunshot wound to the head but the manner of death has been ruled as undetermined.

The toxicology drug screen came back negative.
    Andrew Sadek, a 20-year-old student at NDSCS, was last seen leaving Nordgaard Hall on the Wahpeton campus around 2 a.m. on Thursday, May 1, 2014. He was reported missing the following day. On June 27, 2014, Sadek's body was recovered from the Red River near Breckenridge, Minnesota.
    Because the manner of death has been ruled as undetermined, the Sadek case will continue to be handled as an open investigation, and an ongoing search for the weapon continues.

Mother of NDSC student believes son was killed
    Posted: Aug 26, 2014 1:47 PM CDT
    Updated: Aug 26, 2014 2:12 PM CDT
    WAHPETON, N.D. (AP) - The mother of a North Dakota State College of Science student who was missing for two months before his body was found says she believes her son was murdered.

KFGO-AM reports Tammy Sadek says her son was not suicidal. She is calling on North Dakota Attorney General Wayne Stenhjem to investigate his death.

The body of Andrew Sadek was pulled from the Red River in late June. An autopsy report released Saturday shows Sadek died of a gunshot wound to the head.

The autopsy says it was "undetermined" how the gunshot was inflicted, and the toxicology drug test was negative. The report shows he died May 3.

Police released an arrest warrant for Sadek after he'd been missing several days. Police alleged Sadek sold marijuana twice to a police informant.

I missed this update. I'd be asking questions too if I was his mum. Although it's possible, gunshot suicides don't often arrange to fall into rivers after shooting themselves. & the way these drug charges were dealt with were really suss. There were others contacting his parents saying they were ex-students who'd been approached by the same officers & pressured heavily to name suppliers.

All it takes is for the wrong person to see an officer's unwanted approach to one of these kids & next thing word's out that the kid's an informant. That's a dangerous place to be & that police dept knows it - they count on the added pressure getting them what they want. That same dept will be the ones investigating Andrew's death now, so I doubt this aspect will even get a mention in the file.

I think mom is right. I snipped some of this article

He was shot in the head, his backpack was weighted down and he was thrown in the river." Tammy Sadek said.
    Sadek says there are plenty of reasons she believes her son was murdered:

A clean toxicology report, he made plans with friends for the weekend and he got good grades.
    His mom believes that pressure put on him to turn informant may have led to his being silenced.

But she is now breaking her silence about SEMCA, the drug task force that she says threatened her son with a 20-year sentence if he didn't start naming names.

"They bullied him from the get-go and they're bullying kids today. It just has to stop." Sadek said.

Sadek is calling on the attorney general to investigate SEMCA.
    http://www.kvrr.com/index.php?option...8499&Itemid=57

Here's some information about SEMCAhttp://www.valleynewslive.com/story/26373178/tammy-sadek-says-her-son-was-murdered

Today, the frustration of Tammy Sadek was pointed in the direction of SEMCA, the Southeast Multi-County Agency Narcotics Task Force. Sadek said the agency forced her son into helping them catch whoever supplied him with marijuana.

SEMCA is just one of several drug task forces operating throughout the region. Drug investigations used to be handled by state and federal agencies before they cut back their resources.

“When regional task forces came into being, we started having a lot more success gaining a foothold against dangerous drugs,” explained Wahpeton Police Chief Scott Thorsteinson.

SEMCA investigators have permission to be on the campus of the North Dakota State College of Science, but do not have to notify the school about who they may be investigating.

“Organizations that work on covert type activities a lot of time, they don’t run around with emblems on their cars and with uniforms, so on and so forth,” said Thorsteinson.

That stealth-like approach is what had Tammy Sadek angry and demanding answers.

“Who’s in charge of SEMCA? Do they have no boss? It doesn’t make sense,” she said.

When Valley News Live tried to find out who was in charge, we first called North Dakota’s top cop: Attorney General Wayne Stenehjem.

“It’s important to mention that BCI and my office have oversight of most of the narcotic task forces in North Dakota. But there is a couple of exceptions to that and one of those is SEMCA,” explained Stenehjem.

SEMCA operates as their own entity with their own Board of Directors and their own oversight.

“We don’t take a ‘hands off approach’,” said Chief Thorsteinson. “Its just that we don’t have to go hands on. They don’t require that we be in there steering them at all times. They are a competent people.”

Thorsteinson, also a SEMCA Board member, would not discuss the Sadek case, but did tell Valley News Live that what is alleged to have occurred is commonplace in law enforcement.

"If you help me out and you're able to assist me in that, we might be able to help you out with lessening the penalty that you have to pay for whatever it is and its done that way all the time,” he explained.

That common law enforcement practice does not sit well with Tammy Sadek.

“We have talked to several students that were in the same situation. They were in the same situation and all of a sudden their charges would be wiped clean if they could tell them were Andrew is at. How ridiculous is that?”

SEMCA, like most task force agencies, is funded by the government agencies they serve. In this case, those agencies in southeastern North Dakota counties and cities help fund the force. SEMCA also receives money from a federal grant.

Attorney General Wayne Stenehjem added today that his office will wait to see how the investigation into Sadek’s death goes before launching their own investigation with the BCI.
    I noticed something else in the report

Autopsy results show that he died from a gunshot wound to the head and the backpack he was wearing contained rocks in it.

People who commit suicide still may make plans, so that's not what would make me think it's not suicide. The rocks in his backpack does, though.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

jesus fucking christ. it's fucking pot. this is so sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

My question is "where's the gun?" I suppose it could have washed away if his body was in the river, but I'd be looking for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

wibbly wobbly timey wimey Seraphim's Avatar

Revealed: Student found 'murdered' with a shot to the head was secretly working as a campus drugs informant for POLICE after officer caught him with $80 of marijuana
    Andrew Sadek, 20, was working for narcotics task force SEMCA after being caught dealing small amounts of marijuana, according to a report
    His mother, Tammy, believes SEMCA acted questionably, though a review of the force's conduct does not say there was wrong doing
    Sadek was turned informant in late 2013, but stopped responding to SEMCA agents after buying marijuana in January 2014
    He went missing in May 2014 and then turned up dead under suspicious circumstances in June
    The report did not discuss the investigation into his death

Andrew Sadek's body turned up last June along the banks of the Red River, which winds between Minnesota and North Dakota, with a gunshot wound to the head.
    The 20-year-old college student had been cooperating with narcotics task force SEMCA, as a confidential informant, but had severed contact with agents shortly before his death.
    With the gun that killed her son still missing, Sadek's mother believes that force knows more than it is sharing about the events surrounding his death.

'There are more students in danger,' Tammy Sadek told KVLY after a report was released this week. 'SEMCA is alive and well, doing what they please.'
    She had petitioned the North Dakota Attorney General for an independent review of SEMCA, which she has accused of bullying her son into the risky position of being a confidential informant.
    According to the five-page report, in April 2013 Sadek sold two small quantities of marijuana that together totaled $80 to a SEMCA informant on the North Dakota State College of Science campus, where Sadek attended classes.
    In November of that year, SEMCA agents searched Sadek's dorm room and found a plastic grinder with marijuana residue that Sadek confessed belonged to him.
    During an interview at a police station in Wahpeton, the report states, Sadek was told about the charges he was facing and agreed to become a confidential informant in order that the charges be dropped or eliminated.

Between November 2013 and January 2014, he bought marijuana on three separate occasions under the direction of a SEMCA agent.
    After the third buy, Sadek stopped communicating with SEMCA agents, who tried to push him to make more narcotics purchases, the report says.
    Early in May, Sadek was reported missing. In June his body was fished out of the Red River near Breckenridge, Minnesota.
    The review, ordered by SEMCA's Executive Board and conducted by the North Dakota Bureau of Criminal Investigation, outlined four minor recommendations.
    This included requiring briefings before informants carried out controlled buys and requested an official supervisor be appointed to the task force. It also recommended assigning a North Dakota BCI agent to SEMCA.

The review found no wrongdoing in the task force's conduct and did not give details about the investigation into Sadek's death.
    The student was last seen leaving Nordgaard Hall at 2 a.m. on May 2 wearing a red and black sweatshirt.
    When he turned up dead in June, he was in a jacket that his mother didn't recognize. His wallet has yet to be recovered,Twin Cities reports.
    The weapon that killed him has also not been found, and though the family says it's missing a .22-caliber pistol, his mother believes his circumstances point to suicide.
    'There was no suicidal tendencies,' she said back in October. 'There was no note. There was no depression. And his grades were excellent.'

'Somebody knows something. They need to have the strength and courage to come forward and speak up.'
    The use of confidential informants to conduct buys for law enforcement on college campuses has drawn scrutiny recently.
    Earlier this month, UMass-Amherst Chancellor announced the end of a controversial UMass police program that worked to turn students arrested for narcotics into informants.
    In 2013, Eric Sinacori, a 20-year-old UMass junior who had become an informant after being caught selling Molly and LSD to an undercover officer, overdosed on heroine in his off-campus apartment.
    In spite of finding a hypodermic needle during a search, officers did not arrest Sinacori or inform his parents, something that his mother, Francesca, believed had allowed his addiction to fester.
    'If you find a needle on my kid, you have to assume it’s heroin. And if it’s heroin, you have to say something,' she told the Boston Globe.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3QUPR4NuW
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

20/20 just did a show about Eric Sinacori last week. It is on their site and is a pretty interesting episode.
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

http://www.inquisitr.com/1991921/and...rug-informant/

I think a lot of this is old news but...
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

I love the earlier article from Berm that said he was "secretly" working as an informant - there didn' t seem to be much secret about it.

I don't know why but this one got to me more than most. Poor kid & poor mum who now has to live with it. So many people grieving deaths caused directly or indirectly by police. It's so fucking wrong

60 minutes is covering this case right now...

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/confiden...-lesley-stahl/
    Last edited by puzzld; 12-06-2015 at 06:38 PM.

Good. His name should be on the Killed By Police lists too.

The parents are suing the police dept.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ful-death.html
    The family of a college student turned drug informant is suing the police for his wrongful death after he was found dead with a bullet in his head and rocks in his backpack.
    Tammy Sadek believes her son Andrew Sadek signed his own death warrant when he agreed to become a narc after cops caught him selling just $80 of marijuana in 2013.
    The 20-year-old worked with the drugs task force for months before he disappeared in May, 2014. His body was found the following month in the Red River, North Dakota.
    Richland County Sheriff's Department claimed the student committed suicide after an autopsy found his manner of death was 'undetermined,' according to the complaint brought by John and Tammy Sadek.
    But his parents insist their son would never have taken his own life and believe Andrew was murdered in a drug deal gone wrong.

I think [Andrew] was trying to get his quota, and he went to the wrong person,' Tammy told The Daily Beast. 'I firmly believe he didn't do this to himself. There was no depression. No note. I've gone through everything.
    'He had plans for that weekend [he went missing],' she added. 'He had plans for his life.'
    An investigative report in January 2015 said the drug task force SEMCA, which recruited Sadek, acted appropriately.
    But his death is raising questions about the use of young, low-level drug offenders as confidential informants and if they should they be given more detailed information about the dangers.
    'There are more students in danger,' Tammy Sadek told KVLY after the report was released. 'SEMCA is alive and well, doing what they please.'
    The family have now filed a wrongful death lawsuit accusing the sheriff's department, deputy Jason Weber, and the county of failing to ensure their son's safety.

We filed the lawsuit today, two years from the day Andrew's body was discovered, hoping to achieve accountability for those who put Andrew in harm's way,' said Tim O'Keeffe, one of two Fargo attorneys for the Sadek family.
    The Sadeks are asking for unspecified economic damages, including the cost of the memorial, and non-economic damages related to mental anguish, emotional distress, grief and loss of companionship.
    His mother added that she wants more details about her son's controlled buys and on the investigation into his killer.
    'That's why we're forced into this lawsuit. A lawsuit is not the North Dakota way. But this is our last grasp at hoping to get some answers,' Tammy Sadek told The Daily Beast.
    According to a report into SEMCA's actions after the college student's death, in April 2013 Sadek sold two small quantities of marijuana that together totaled $80 to a SEMCA informant on the North Dakota State College of Science campus, where Sadek attended classes.

In November of that year, SEMCA agents searched Sadek's dorm room and found a plastic grinder with marijuana residue that Sadek confessed belonged to him.
    During an interview at a police station in Wahpeton, the report states, Sadek was told about the charges he was facing and agreed to become a confidential informant in order that the charges be dropped or eliminated.
    Footage of the interrogation showed Richland County sheriff's deputy Jason Weber warning Sadek that he was facing 40 years in prison and a $40,000 fine for his first offence - selling $80 of marijuana.
    'Obviously, you're probably not going to get 40 years, but is it a good possibility you're going to get prison time if you don't help yourself out? Yeah, there is,' Weber said.
    'That's probably not a way to start off your young adult life and career, right?
    'What I'm going to ask for you to do is do some buys for me? then depending upon how you do? a lot of this could go away.
    Weber told the student that with two felonies pending against him, he would need to carry out controlled drug buys with three or four people.
    'That fair enough? It sounds like you already got two for sure you can do. It's just a matter of doing two more,' he said, encouraging Sadek to seek out more drug dealers as he warned him to keep silent.
    'Try not to tell your roommate or anybody, because the more people that know? people are going to think you're a narc,' he warned.
    Sadek agreed to act as an informant and did not tell anyone about his undercover work - not even his parents or a lawyer.

Within six months of making the deal, he was found dead.
    Deputy Sheriff Weber, now the interim task force supervisor, won't say whether Sadek was specifically told of the dangerous nature of the work he would be doing.
    The document that Sadek signed to become a confidential informant did not explicitly state the potential risks.
    After the interrogation, Sadek bought marijuana on three separate occasions under the direction of a SEMCA agent between November 2013 and January 2014.
    After the third buy, Sadek stopped communicating with SEMCA agents, who tried to push him to make more narcotics purchases, the report says.
    Early in May, he was reported missing and his parents went on television to plead for his safe return.
    But the following month, his body was fished out of the Red River near Breckenridge, Minnesota. Authorities estimate that he had died two days after he disappeared.
    'Somebody knows something,' his mother had said. 'They need to have the strength and courage to come forward and speak up.'
    The review, ordered by SEMCA's Executive Board and conducted by the North Dakota Bureau of Criminal Investigation, outlined four minor recommendations.
    This included requiring briefings before informants carried out controlled buys and requested an official supervisor be appointed to the task force. It also recommended assigning a North Dakota BCI agent to SEMCA.
    The review found no wrongdoing in the task force's conduct and did not give details about the investigation into Sadek's death.
    'That's how drug task forces work all over the world,' said Weber, the task force supervisor. 'You're always constantly trying to find the bigger person and go to that person's supplier.'

But Tammy Sadek believes that even though the probe was billed as independent, members of the law enforcement community 'have each other's back'.
    The use of confidential informants to conduct buys for law enforcement on college campuses has drawn scrutiny recently.
    U.S. Justice Department guidelines state that authorities should consider the risk of harm to a potential l informant, but do not say that the person should be informed of the risks.
    North Dakota Attorney General's Office spokeswoman Liz Brocker declined to comment on any policies or procedures that might be in place for drug task forces in the state.
    Los Angeles-based Loyola Law School professor Alexandra Natapoff said the use of criminal informants 'is almost entirely unregulated' across the country, though that is beginning to change.
    The Florida Legislature in 2009 passed 'Rachel's Law,' requiring police to adopt policies to protect informants, after 23-year-old Rachel Hoffman was shot to death in 2008 while working as an informant.
    That law is 'only the beginning of the protections that we need for young, vulnerable informants,' Natapoff said.
    American Civil Liberties Union spokeswoman Jennifer Cook said informants are doing a dangerous part of law enforcement, without the training.
    'The safety risks associated with informant use can far outweigh the benefits,' she said.
    Last year, UMass-Amherst Chancellor announced the end of a controversial UMass police program that worked to turn students arrested for narcotics into informants.
    It followed the death of Eric Sinacori, a 20-year-old UMass junior who had become an informant after being caught selling Molly and LSD to an undercover officer. In 2013, he overdosed on heroine in his off-campus apartment.
    In spite of finding a hypodermic needle during a search, officers did not arrest Sinacori or inform his parents, something that his mother, Francesca, believed had allowed his addiction to fester.
    Drug investigators need to be more explicit about the dangers they face, said Jim Harrington, director of the Texas Civil Rights Project.

You have to really say, 'This is the risk: You're entering a world that's dangerous, and you might end up dead,'' Harrington said.
    Tammy Sadek believes her son was scared into becoming a confidential informant.
    'I would like to see (task forces) stop using kids,' she said. 'I know it's common, but these are just little fish.'
    Other people who knew Sadek are shocked by what happened.
    'He was a gentle soul,' said Kristi Brandt, principal of Valley City High School, from which Sadek graduated.

Lawyers for the family sent a letter to federal authorities in April asking the U.S. Department of Justice and FBI to investigate the case.
    The Justice Department said it was reviewing the case. There was no response from the FBI, the family's lawyers said.
    A spokeswoman for the North Dakota attorney general's office did not return email messages Monday seeking comment.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz4DcVPTuZC
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

His FB is gone :(

There is a Justice page for him now though - https://www.facebook.com/staticshockjustice/

Trace Evidence podcast did a good episode on Andrew this week - https://soundcloud.com/user-94400891...f-andrew-sadek

Again, another one that was about 4 hours from me. I've had a soft spot for this story since the beginning. Andrew did not have to die. Unfortunately my state is pretty '50's thinking about a lot of things. Huge prison terms for drug offenses, while child/sexual abusers and domestic violence offenses are given a slap on the wrist. I'm not surprised that we are hanging our kids out to dry in order to "snag the big fish" at the cost of their lives.

I will check out that podcast, thanks for the recommendation.

This case and the Rachel case always have made me extremely sad, especially considering how weed is sort of legal now. I know way too many people who could have easily gotten caught up in this scam when we were just kids trying to have fun.

Why would any rational person assume someone who was shot in the head and weighted down in the water killed themself?
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

This one still just kills me. There is no reason for this kid to be dead. They hung him out to dry over weed.

http://www.wday.com/news/4429287-and...al-pushed-back

WAHPETON N.D.,—More than two years after the family of Andrew Sadek brought a civil lawsuit for their son's death to court, the trial date is being pushed back.
    You may remember Andrew Sadek as the 20-year-old North Dakota State College Of Science student who worked as a confidential drug informant. He was found dead in the red river in Wahpeton with a gunshot wound in the summer of 2014.

Two years ago Sadek's parents filed a lawsuit against Richland County claiming wrongful death, fraud, and deceit. The trial date was set for this month, but a Fargo attorney working for the Sadek family, Tatum O'Brien, says the state college of science, along with law enforcement and several other agencies are refusing to give them documents.
    She wouldn't tell us exactly what those documents included other than saying they're somehow related to Andrew Sadek's death. At a court hearing Monday morning, a judge ruled the attorneys should have access to those documents. Because of this attorneys do not feel like they have enough information to start the trial.

"We're asking for things that we haven't seen. So we don't really have any idea as to what we're going to get. if we're going to get thousands of pieces of paper or hours of recordings, we don't know exactly the volume," said Tatum O'Brien, attorney for the Sadek Family.

O'Brien says this is a very challenging case thanks to these roadblocks. She adds the Sadek family is doing okay right now, especially after 'Andrew's Law' passed last year.
    That's a law in Andrew's name giving confidential drug informants added protection in North Dakota.

For some reason, my initial thought while reading this was that it was SEMCA officers responsible... maybe frustrated that he stopped cooperating with them earlier in the year? Then tried to cover it up (poorly).
    Such a waste of resources over weed.

Thread Information