Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Over 280 Passengers (Mostly Teenagers) killed In South Korean Ferry Disaster

Wouldn't the family know if it was their kids real ph number/account they were getting messages from? I don't buy it that they're all fake. It sounds like a crowd control statement.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    Wouldn't the family know if it was their kids real ph number/account they were getting messages from? I don't buy it that they're all fake. It sounds like a crowd control statement.
    I believe it. People are dicks. This is something that the btards would do in a heartbeat.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Sorry, still can't edit. This article from Sydney says journo's couldn't find the source of the original texts amongst relatives on the dock - they were being sent from parent to parent.
    If they are faked, it's by someone they know - one of the shared texts was a list of survivors organised by class. I guess a parent might've faked it to get authorities to act with more urgency, but making a list naming some kids as dead seems more than a little off.
    m.smh.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    Sorry, still can't edit. This article from Sydney says journo's couldn't find the source of the original texts amongst relatives on the dock - they were being sent from parent to parent.
    If they are faked, it's by someone they know - one of the shared texts was a list of survivors organised by class. I guess a parent might've faked it to get authorities to act with more urgency, but making a list naming some kids as dead seems more than a little off.
    m.smh.com.au
    OK, I see what you're saying now. But doing something like this isn't shocking at all at this point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikki_C...hs_controversy

Don't quote me, her name isn't allowed here, so I'll be deleting that.

No I agree with you 100% that some of it'll be troll shit,I don't explain myself very well via mobile (& my link fucked up. Grrr). Just look at the shit that Dutch kid started. & it's nothing new, families of high profile missing have always copped shitty anonymous calls.

As far these kids go? - if there's no power to the ship, no-one's charging their ph down there. But if it's normal to have network access on those ferries, then at least for the first 24 hrs & definitely for the first hour after the distress call, some of them should be authentic - it's like saying all the texts sent from the WTC on 9/11 were faked.

Crap, sorry Ron. Just saw your link ( sort of). You should all probably just ignore me until I get real internet back (or at least just ignore the stupid parts).

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/19/world/...ing/?hpt=hp_t2

Lee was charged with abandoning his boat, negligence, causing bodily injury, not seeking rescue from other ships and violating "seamen's law," state media reported.
    He appeared before reporters in handcuffs.
    "Mr. Lee is charged with causing the Sewol ship to sink by failing to slow down while sailing the narrow route and making (a) turn excessively," prosecutor Lee Bong-chang told the semiofficial Yonhap news agency.
    "Lee is also charged with failing to do the right thing to guide the passengers to escape and thereby leading to their death or injury."
    If convicted, he faces from five years to life in prison.
    Lee wasn't at the helm of the Sewol when it started to sink; a third mate was at the helm, a prosecutor said.

Where was captain?
    The captain was not in the steering room when the accident occurred, according to police and his own account. He was in his cabin.
    A crew member, described as the third mate and identified only as Park, appeared in handcuffs with Lee.
    Park is facing charges including negligence and causing injuries leading to deaths, said Yang Joong Jin, a maritime police spokesman.
    A technician with the surname Cho is also facing the same charges, he said.
    Lee answered questions as he left a court hearing Saturday.
    "The tidal current was strong and water temperature was cold, and there was no rescue boat," he told reporters, according to CNN affiliate YTN. "So I had everyone stand by and wait for the rescue boat to arrive."
    He said he plotted the ship's course, and then went to his cabin briefly "to tend to something." It was then, he said, the accident happened.
    The third mate, who was at the helm of the ship when Lee left, said he did not make a sharp turn, but "the steering turned much more than usual."
    The captain was one of at least 174 people rescued soon after the Sewol began to sink, violating an "internationally recognized rule that a captain must stay on the vessel," maritime law attorney Jack Hickey said.
    "Pretty much every law, rule, regulation and standard throughout the world says that yes, the captain must stay with the ship until all personnel are safely off of the ship, certainly passengers."

I still don't know how they can make a captain stay on a sinking ship just b/c everybody's not off. That's like saying a fireman should stay in a burning building if everybody's not out. Sure, I bet most captains would say they would go down with the ship....but how many actually would?

Anyway, the point above really means nothing. This captain is in serious trouble and he probably should be if all the news reports are right.

'Unforgivable, murderous acts': South Korean President slams captain in ferry disaster 'who waited 30 minutes to make evacuation order and told passengers to stay in their rooms'

The captain of the sunken South Korean ferry initially told passengers to stay in their rooms and waited more than half an hour to issue an evacuation order as the ferry Sewol sank Wednesday.

Captain of Sewol waited 30 minutes before issuing the evacuation order
    By then ship had tilted so much many passengers were trapped inside
    South Korean President Park Geun-hye says it was 'an unimaginable act'
    Video shows captain Lee Joon-seok was among first people rescued
    Lee said in promotional video that journey was safe if passengers followed instructions of the crew
    He and two crew members were arrested on suspicion of negligence
    Four other crew members detained for 'failing to protect passengers'
    A female third mate was steering the ship at the time of the disaster
    She made sharp turn while navigating area for first time, says prosecutor
    Death toll has risen to 64 with 246, mostly teenagers, unaccounted for
    Relatives hold first funerals for students and teachers who died on ferry

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2zVX29NV2
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    I still don't know how they can make a captain stay on a sinking ship just b/c everybody's not off. That's like saying a fireman should stay in a burning building if everybody's not out. Sure, I bet most captains would say they would go down with the ship....but how many actually would?

Anyway, the point above really means nothing. This captain is in serious trouble and he probably should be if all the news reports are right.
    You're not supposed to sit there and grin as the ship sinks, it's more of a "last one off the boat" kind of thing. I don't see how there's anything wrong with that.

It's no longer the case that the captain must go down with the ship (if it ever was) but, the crew, all of them are expected to do their best to save as many passengers as they can. Not be the first to hit the lifeboats even if they need to throw kids and old people overboard (metaphorically speaking) to do so.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Code of honor. And most people who become Captains know this going in. Nobody forced them to become captains if they weren't willing to follow the code of honor. It's the same as "No Soldier left behind". There's no written law that says you have to go back for them. You just DO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

It's not even just code of honor, it's maritime law. They are trained for situations such as this. If you're the one who knows the most about deploying the life boats and etc, you don't shove ahead of everyone and scream SEE YA.

Not to mention, he wasn't at his post when this happened. So they were going through rough waters, and he let someone less qualified take the helm.

Not that this makes it any more or less horrible, but holy shit at a 25-year-old woman being at the helm when it went down.
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    Just as I suspected. A ring of elderly pedophiles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Love View Post
    Fucking piece of shit, fucking scum, internet ass holes. fucking ingrate no life having fat ass. you have no fucking clue at whats going on fuck tard shit for brains.

It has nothing to do with her gender, but rather her level of experience. You don't turn to a flight attendant mid-flight and go "here, you fly this, I'm taking a nap."

It has nothing to do with her gender, but rather her level of experience. You don't turn to a flight attendant mid-flight and go "here, you fly this, I'm taking a nap."
    Definitely. Guess it just jumps out at me because I'm a 25-year-old woman. I'm trying to think of news items where a woman (and such a young one) was involved in so many accidental deaths/criminal negligence. The best I came up with was the O'Hare train derailment, but it doesn't even come close to this.
    Fucking piece of shit, fucking scum, internet ass holes. fucking ingrate no life having fat ass. you have no fucking clue at whats going on fuck tard shit for brains.

There was a comment in an earlier article from a UK ferry captain who said that it was pretty much standard for the captain to leave control of the vessel to his subordinates IF it was a regular crossing in regular conditions - & as shitty as the conditions were, apparently they were pretty normal for that crossing.

According to this other captain some duties are normally carried out in the captain's quarters. The Korean captain has apparently said the passengers were told to stay put because he knew rescuers were 40 mins away & with the temperature & currents being what they were, he thought hypothermia &/or being swept away posed the greatest threat to them. I guess it makes sense. It would've been a hell of a decision to make.

You can pretty much guarantee that if he'd ordered all those kids onto the deck & into lifeboats & they'd been capsized & swept away by the currents, people would be demanding to know why he didn't let them wait in the corridors - especially if it hadn't sunk so fast. (I'll add links for the 2 captain's comments asap)

Many of the children's bodies recovered from the sunken South Korea ferry in the past two days had broken fingers, local media reported - suggesting the victims had frantically tried to climb walls or floors to escape in their final moments.

Divers continued to swim though dark, cold waters into the submerged Sewol Wednesday, feeling for bodies with their hands in a maze of cabins, corridors and upturned decks.

"We have to touch everything with our hands,? said diver Hwang Dae-sik, whose team had retrieved 14 bodies so far.

?This is the most grueling and heartbreaking job of my career," he said.

Of the 476 passengers and crew on board, 339 were children and teachers on a high school outing. Only 174 people have been rescued.

The death toll reached 150 on Wednesday, leaving 152 others people still missing after more than a week.

With oxygen and communications lines trailing, divers can only see a few inches in front of them in the wreckage of the ship, and are limited to working an hour at a time.
    http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/sou...pe-bids-n87416
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Many of the children's bodies recovered from the sunken South Korea ferry in the past two days had broken fingers, local media reported - suggesting the victims had frantically tried to climb walls or floors to escape in their final moments.

Divers continued to swim though dark, cold waters into the submerged Sewol Wednesday, feeling for bodies with their hands in a maze of cabins, corridors and upturned decks.

"We have to touch everything with our hands,? said diver Hwang Dae-sik, whose team had retrieved 14 bodies so far.

?This is the most grueling and heartbreaking job of my career," he said.

Of the 476 passengers and crew on board, 339 were children and teachers on a high school outing. Only 174 people have been rescued.

The death toll reached 150 on Wednesday, leaving 152 others people still missing after more than a week.

With oxygen and communications lines trailing, divers can only see a few inches in front of them in the wreckage of the ship, and are limited to working an hour at a time.
    http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/sou...pe-bids-n87416
    Jesus. That's awful.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    WOW

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/26/world/...ing/?c=&page=0
    (CNN) -- South Korean Prime Minister Chung Hong-won announced his immediate resignation Sunday morning on national television, taking responsibility for the slow initial response to the ferry accident and apologizing to victims' families.

[Original story published at 11:07 a.m. ET]

Fisherman Kim Hyun-ho finds no peace when he lies down at night. The hundreds of dead or missing passengers from the Sewol ferry disaster haunt his sleep.

Their screams ring in his head. He has vivid memories of his rush to save them in his modest fishing boat off South Korea's coast 10 days ago.

Kim thinks he may have pulled 25 people from the frigid waters of the Yellow Sea, said Saturday. But the man from a nearby tiny island of just 100 people feels no pride, only torment.

"It was hell. Agonizing. There were a lot of people and not enough boats, people in the water yelling for help. The ferry was sinking fast," he said.

He watched people trapped inside go under with the vessel yards in front of him. Then he heard on television how many people were sealed up in the ship.

So far, rescuers have retrieved 187 bodies. An additional 115 people remain missing.

The father of two grown children is heartbroken for the hundreds of parents who have lost theirs, those he could not save.

He's trying to fish again, but he's a changed man, he says.

Reprieve from watery terror

Divers recovering bodies from inside the upended ferry, inundated with murky water, got a brief reprieve Saturday from the horrors they've seen in its dark, cavernous entrails.

Strong currents led the joint task force to suspend Saturday's dives for at least four hours.

On Friday, they found the bodies of 48 girls -- wearing their life jackets -- pressed into a room too small for so many people.

Divers believe that they will face the same scene again. There may be a second, similar room, where 50 more girls are believed to have been trapped when the ferry rolled over.

South Korean Coast Guard diver Kim Dong-soo said he had tears in his eyes when he heard about the accident.

"Even now, I'm searching as if I'm looking for my own children -- and other Coast Guards feel the same way," he told CNN. "I have two medical patches on me, have difficulty breathing and my head hurts. But it hurts the most in my heart, knowing those children are still in the cold water."

When they plunge into the water again later Saturday, five U.S. Navy rescue specialists will assist their search in a supporting role from outside the search zone.

The divers will face a search that is getting harder and slower.

There may be fewer bodies to retrieve, but divers have already searched the easily accessible places, said South Korean navy Capt. Kim Jin-hwang, commander of the rescue operation.

"But the navy will not stop until the last body is found," he said.

Now they will head down deep for cabins near the seabed.

In the cramped spaces, divers have been battling a forest of floating objects and doors forced shut by enormous water pressure. Currents tug at the breathing tubes that keep them alive as they look for the dead.

Civilian diver Chun Kwan-geung, one of the many rescuers working in the murky waters, spoke of breaking out windows to get to the lower decks of the ship, which now lies on its right side on the seafloor some 240 feet below the surface.

Legal ramifications

As the effort inside the ship continues, South Korean authorities are pressing a criminal investigation into the sinking.

It's resulted in the arrests of the ship's captain and 14 other members. Prosecutors in Mokpo, South Korea, who are leading the ferry investigation tell CNN that all the 15 crew members in charge of sailing and the engine room have been indicted and are being held in the Mokpo Prison.

Yang Joong-Jin, the senior prosecutor for the investigation task force, said they all face charges of "causing death by abandoning (ship), and violation of the country's marine law, the Rescue and Aid at Sea and in the River Act.

Investigators also searched the company that owned the ferry and the home of the man whose family controls it, and conducted a wide-ranging probe into the country's marine industry.

Prosecutors have said that authorities have yet to determine what caused the sinking.

Leading theories include changes made to increase the ferry's passenger capacity and shifting cargo.

On Friday, investigators checked out the Sewol's sister ship, the Ohamana, and said they found 40 of its life rafts weren't working, emergency slides to help evacuate passengers were inoperable, and equipment to tie down cars and cargo either was nonexistent or didn't work very well.

Like the Sewol, the Ohamana had been modified to add more passengers, the prosecutor's office said.

Investigators are looking into whether those modifications could have contributed to the Sewol's fate.

Kim Yong-rok, an opposition lawmaker who represents Jindo, an island near where the ship sank, told CNN that modifications to add 117 more passenger cabins to the ship raised the ferry's center of gravity.

On Friday, the South Korean Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries announced it would ask lawmakers to consider legislation prohibiting modifications to ships to increase passenger capacity.
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

South Korean Prime Minister Chung Hong-won announced his resignation Sunday amid criticism of how the government handled the sinking of a ferry.

"I wanted to resign earlier but handling the situation was the first priority and I thought that it was a responsible act to help before leaving," Chung said in a brief announcement. "But I've decided to resign now, not to be any burden on the administration."

Divers have recovered 183 bodies from the sunken ferry and more than 100 are still missing.
    https://www.breakingnews.com/topic/f...april-16-2014/

On Friday, they found the bodies of 48 girls -- wearing their life jackets -- pressed into a room too small for so many people.

Divers believe that they will face the same scene again. There may be a second, similar room, where 50 more girls are believed to have been trapped when the ferry rolled over.

All 15 navigation crew of doomed South Korean vessel now in custody, prosecutors say
    The crew are accused of negligence and of failing to help passengers in need

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz304n4TetM

All 15 navigation crew of doomed South Korean vessel now in custody, prosecutors say
    The crew are accused of negligence and of failing to help passengers in need

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz304n4TetM
    The fact that apparently all of the crew survived and so many of the passengers did not is very telling.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    The fact that apparently all of the crew survived and so many of the passengers did not is very telling.
    I thought I read some of the crew did die...? The number 3 is stuck in my head for some reason. I'm probably wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Thread Information