Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Over 280 Passengers (Mostly Teenagers) killed In South Korean Ferry Disaster

Over 280 Passengers (Mostly Teenagers) killed In South Korean Ferry Disaster

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/national_world&id=9505487

April 16, 2014 (SEOUL, South Korea) -- Fears rose Thursday for the fate of 289 passengers still missing more than 24 hours after their ferry flipped onto its side and filled with water off the southern coast of South Korea.

A coast guard official said the death toll was now confirmed at seven, but that is expected to rise sharply because the missing have now spent more than a day either trapped in the ferry or in the cold seawater.

There were 475 people aboard - many of them high school students on a class trip - and frantic parents have gathered at their school near Seoul and in Mokpo in the south of the country, not far from where the ferry slipped beneath the surface until only the blue-tipped, forward edge of the keel was visible.

Divers, helicopters and boats continued their search Thursday for survivors, but the high number of people unaccounted for - possibly trapped in the ship or floating in the chilly water nearby - raised fears that the death toll could increase drastically.

Coast guard's spokesman Cho Man-yong said Thursday morning that rescuers in a vessel had found another body floating in the sea, raising the confirmed death toll to seven. It was not immediately known whether the body was male or female.

It was still unknown why the ferry sank, but coast guard officials were interviewing the captain and crew. The Sewol, a 146-meter (480-foot) vessel that can hold more than 900 people, set sail Tuesday from Incheon, in northwestern South Korea, on an overnight, 14-hour journey to the tourist island of Jeju.

The ferry was three hours from its destination when it sent a distress call after it began listing to one side, according to the Ministry of Security and Public Administration.

Passenger Kim Seong-mok told broadcaster YTN that after having breakfast, he felt the ferry tilt and then heard it crash into something. He said he was certain that many people were trapped inside the ferry as water rushed in and the severe tilt of the vessel kept them from reaching the exits.

Koo said many people were trapped inside by windows that were too hard to break.

"The rescue wasn't done well. We were wearing life jackets. We had time," Koo, who was on a business trip to Jeju with a co-worker, said from a hospital bed in Mokpo, the nearest major city to the site of the accident, where he was treated for minor injuries. "If people had jumped into the water ... they could have been rescued. But we were told not to go out."

Oh Yong-seok, a 58-year-old crew member who escaped with about a dozen others, including the captain, told The Associated Press that rescue efforts were hampered by the ferry's severe tilt.

"We couldn't even move one step. The slope was too big," Oh said.

The Sewol's wreckage is in waters a little north of Byeongpung Island, which is not far from the mainland and about 470 kilometers (290 miles) from Seoul.

"We cannot give up," said South Korean President Park Geun-hye, after a briefing in Seoul. "We have to do our best to rescue even one passenger."

White House spokesman Jay Carney said the U.S. and its 7th Fleet stood ready to assist, including the USS Bonhomme Richard, which was in the region.

The last major ferry disaster in South Korea was in 1993, when 292 people were killed.

TV stations broadcast live pictures Wednesday of the listing Sewol as passengers clambered over the side, jumped into the sea or were hoisted up by helicopters. At least 87 vessels and 18 aircraft swarmed around the stricken ferry.

The water temperature in the area was about 12 degrees Celsius (54 Fahrenheit), cold enough to cause signs of hypothermia after about 1? hours of exposure, according to an emergency official who spoke on condition of anonymity because department rules did not allow talking to the media.

Lee Gyeong-og, a vice minister for the Public Administration and Security Ministry, said the ocean was 37 meters (121 feet) deep in the area.

The survivors - wet, stunned and many without shoes - were brought to nearby Jindo Island, where medical teams wrapped them in pink blankets and checked for injuries before taking them to a cavernous gymnasium.

As the search dragged on, families of the missing gathered at a nearby dock, some crying and holding each other. Boats circled the sunken ferry into the night, illuminated by red flares.

Angry shouts could be heard when Prime Minister Chung Hong-won visited a shelter where relatives of the missing passengers waited for news. Some yelled that the government should have sent more divers to search the wreckage.

The numbers of passengers, as well as the dead and missing, fluctuated throughout the day. As of early Thursday, South Korean authorities estimated 475 people were on the ferry.

Of that total, there were 325 students and 15 teachers from Danwon High School in Ansan, a city near Seoul. They were headed to Jeju for a four-day trip, according to a relief team set up by Gyeonggi province.

Authorities said the dead included a female member of the crew and two male students. Details on the others were not immediately known. Kang Byung-kyu, a government minister, said 55 people were injured. Coast guard officials put the number of survivors early Thursday at 179.

Many South Korean high schools organize trips for first- or second-year students, and Jeju is a popular destination. The students on the ferry were in their second year, which would make most of them 16 or 17.

At Danwon High School, students were sent home early and parents gathered for news about their children. Park Ji-hee, a first-year student, said she saw about a dozen parents crying at the school entrance.

The Sewol, which travels twice a week between Incheon and Jeju, was built in Japan in 1994 and could carry a maximum of 921 people, 180 vehicles and 152 shipping containers, according to the Yonhap news agency.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-17/south-korea-ferry-disaster-sewol-what-we-know/5397570

Authorities in South Korea are searching for what caused a ferry to sink off the south-west coast of Korea with more than 460 passengers and crew onboard.

The ferry, Sewol, was sailing from the western port of Incheon to Jeju island - known as South Korea's Hawaii - and was carrying teenage students and their teachers.

The cause of the incident is unknown and authorities are seeking to find out why the ship listed and flipped over entirely, leaving only a small section of its hull above water.

South Korean navy and coast guard vessels are still searching for missing passengers, but here is what we know so far.

Survivors said they heard a loud thump. They said the ship came to a sudden halt and started rapidly sinking.

The ship, built in Japan 20 years ago, was following a well travelled route.

Although the wider area has rock hazards and shallow waters, they were not in the immediate vicinity of the ship's usual path.

State broadcaster YTN quoted investigation officials as saying the ship was off its usual course and had been hit by a veering wind, which caused containers stacked on deck to shift.

Marine salvage expert John Noble said the ship was travelling at about 18 knots and may have hit the seabed or a shipping container.

"There is a lot of evidence... that the ship hit something," he said.

"There was a thump or a thud and this would suggest that she came into contact either with the seabed or a submerged object like perhaps a container."

Shortly before the vessel went down, it was listing heavily to one side.

Passengers wearing life jackets scrambled into the sea and waiting rescue boats.

Students were reportedly trapped in passageways by rapidly rising water.

Other passengers claim they were told to stay put by ferry crews who said it was too dangerous to move.

"The announcement told us we should stay still," one survivor told reporters.

"The ship was already sinking. There were a lot of students who didn't get out of the ship."

One student sent a text message to his mother as the ship went down saying, "Mum, this may be the last chance to tell you I love you".

Witnesses told Korean media that the captain of the vessel, who is now being held by police, was one of the first to leave the stricken vessel.

According to a coastguard official in Jindo, the waters where the ferry capsized have some of the strongest tides off South Korea's coast, meaning divers were prevented from entering the mostly submerged ship for several hours.

This is so horrible.

And then there's this Korean (I presume) Captain Schettino saving his own fucking sorry ass while CHILDREN ARE DROWNING. 46 lifeboats, 1 deployed. This sonofabitch.
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    Just as I suspected. A ring of elderly pedophiles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Love View Post
    Fucking piece of shit, fucking scum, internet ass holes. fucking ingrate no life having fat ass. you have no fucking clue at whats going on fuck tard shit for brains.

Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    This is so horrible.

And then there's this Korean (I presume) Captain Schettino saving his own fucking sorry ass while CHILDREN ARE DROWNING. 46 lifeboats, 1 deployed. This sonofabitch.
    Seriously. I heard on the radio that the captain told everyone to stay put. Then he made sure he got out. He basically said "everyone stay where you are! I'm leaving to safety, good luck. Peace out!"

This is why I would never go on a cruise or on any kind of boat in the middle of the ocean. It terrifies me to be surrounded by water that far away from land. Hell no.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Ugh, the teens were texting their parents from inside the ship, saying they were still alive and to send help. How heartbreaking

Questions mount in South Korean ferry disaster; hundreds still missing

Jindo, South Korea (CNN) -- Anguished relatives of missing South Korean ferry passengers waited somberly for answers Thursday as rescuers fought bad weather, murky water, darkness and time to find a way deep into the capsized ship.

Authorities believe 276 people -- many of them high school students on a field trip -- may remain trapped inside the five-story ship. At least some, authorities say, could still be alive more than a day after the ship rolled over.

Heartbreaking text messages purportedly from missing passengers amplified the grief.

"Mom, in case I won't get to tell you, I'm sending this. I love you," reads one purported message carried by CNN affiliate YTN.
    "There are a few people in the ship," another student purportedly wrote to his mother, "and we are not dead yet, so please send along this message."

CNN could not independently confirm the authenticity of the messages or when they were sent. It's also unclear what happened to the people who sent them.

Meanwhile, the ferry's captain is facing mounting questions about the incident.

Among other things, authorities are investigating the possibility the ship was off course when it ran into trouble, as well as reports that few of its lifeboats made it into the water, according to Kim Soo Hyeon, the chief of South Korea's Yellow Sea Maritime Police Agency.

Ferry captain Lee Joon Suk, his head and face covered, broke down in tears when reporters asked if he had anything to say.

"I am sorry, I am at a loss for words," Lee said at a South Korean Coast Guard office.
    At least 20 people are known dead, according to the South Korean Ministry of Security and Public Administration. As of Thursday night, at least 179 had been rescued.

Weather hinders rescue

More than 170 ships and 512 divers have swarmed the ferry about 20 kilometers (12 miles) from the Jindo, South Korea, harbor where relatives have gathered.

But poor conditions have kept rescuers from reaching parts of the ship where air pockets could be sustaining survivors, authorities said.

Can they survive in air pockets?

Relentless rain, whipping winds and thick fog stymied rescue efforts Thursday. Three of the 22 volunteer divers who joined the search went missing in high tide but were later found, YTN said.

Efforts to pump air into the ship also failed because of the bad weather.
    Despite government assurances that rescuers would work around the clock to save lives, some relatives were angry about the pace of the rescue operation.

"If the government cares for the people, our family, our children, please rescue our families and our children," said Chang Min, whose second-grade son is among the missing.

'Don't move'

The ferry, which is designed to carry cargo and vehicles as well as passengers, was on a routine passage between Incheon and the resort island of Jeju when something went awry shortly before 9 a.m. Tuesday.
    On board were more than 300 Seoul high school students and teachers on a four-day trip to the island.

Passengers told CNN affiliate YTN that the ship began to sharply list and there were loud banging sounds about the same time.

Announcements broadcast over the ship's loudspeakers urged passengers to stay put.

"Don't move," a voice warned, according to a recording obtained by CNN affiliate YTN. "If you move, it's dangerous. Don't move."

Student Lim Hyung Min, who was rescued, told YTN he heard a bang before the ship began to list.

"The students were falling over and crashing into things and bleeding," Lim said.

Rescue helicopters plucked some passengers from the ship as it lay on its side before capsizing. Crews of fishing vessels and military ships that raced to the scene in a heavily used sea lane pulled others from the water.
    Few passengers made it to lifeboats.

Social media video acquired by CNN affiliate JTBC showed at least 12 of the white survival capsules still attached to the ferry even as it was keeled over in the water.

It was unclear, however, exactly how many lifeboats had deployed. Initial reports from YTN said it was one, but the JTBC video shows what appears to be two lifeboats next to the ship.

CNN has not been able to independently confirm the reports.

Hopes for survivors

While no one knows if any of the missing are still alive, authorities said they were operating under the assumption that there are survivors.

That hope largely hinges on whether trapped passengers are in isolated pockets of air on the ship.
    "From the images that I've seen, there's clearly some areas of the hull that are above the water, that are not flooded," Mike Dean, the U.S. Navy deputy director for salvage and diving, told "CNN Tonight."

"So absolutely, there could be areas in there where there is breathable air, but the trouble right now is the temperature and getting people to them."

Most passenger bedrooms were on the fourth level of the five-floor boat, which is now upside down. Divers tried at least six times to enter the submerged cabins but were unable to get in, Kim said.
    Rescuers will try to pump air into the ship again Friday, authorities said.

Anguish and impatience

At the Paeng Mok Harbor in Jindo, some family members of the missing passed the hours Thursday staring at the water.

They huddled in gray ponchos, crying and comforting one another. Some checked their cell phones constantly, hoping to see a new text message from their missing loved one.

Others vented their anger about the pace of the progress, throwing chairs in frustration.

Some parents took a boat toward the accident site, YTN said. But the boat turned back after several of them became so distraught that they fainted.

At least one parent blamed herself.
    Christine Kim's daughter didn't want to go on her school's field trip to Jeju. After all, she had just visited the island two months ago.

But Kim urged her to go.

"I told her, 'I think this trip will be (a) very great experience for you,'" the mother said.

Now, she's wracked with guilt as she waits at the dreary harbor. She's been sitting in the cold rain for more than a day.

"How can I sleep when my daughter is in the cold ocean?"

Explanations elusive

South Korean media reported Thursday that investigators were looking at the possibility that the ship may have taken a sharp turn, causing vehicles and cargo aboard to shift and forcing the ship off balance.
    CNN has not confirmed those reports.

Kim, the maritime police chief, said that it appears the ship had deviated from its planned route but that it did not appear it had hit a rock.

That information conflicted with an earlier statement by a spokesman for the South Korean Oceans and Fisheries Ministry, who said the ship was not significantly off its planned course.

CNN transportation safety analyst Mary Schiavo said she believed the ship may have struck something, while retired freighter captain Jim Staples said the ship may have been trying to make up speed after departing two hours late from Incheon because of fog.

The ship's operator, Chonghaejin Marine Corp., had no explanation -- only apologies.

"We deeply apologize to the families, and I'm saying once again we're really sorry," Chonghaejin executive Kim Young-bung said.

"Our company will promise that we will do our best not to lose any more lives."
    The president of the company tried to venture out to the sunken ferry, but he, too, collapsed and was taken to a hospital.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/17/world/...-ship-sinking/

yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Video inside sinking ship at link:

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/vi...ferry.cnn.html

Last one, this one is really neat. Video shot from one of the rescue boats, you get to see them saving people off the sinking ship. Towards the end, they even pull one survivor out of the water. I noticed the entire ship is almost completely under water by the end when they tried to go back to get more people...

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/vi...-view.kbs.html

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    Thanks Nic B. I'm also very afraid of taking a cruise. Too much water for me!

Also, the last time my people took a cruise.....

I'm joking of course.

Families of those aboard a capsized South Korean ferry -- some angry at authorities, others mad at themselves -- clung to whatever hope they could on Friday morning, two days after the vessel capsized for reasons authorities still haven't explained.

So far, the east Asian island nation's coast guard is reporting 25 confirmed dead. There are fears that toll may spike as time passes and experts make their way deeper into the doomed ferry.

The rescue operation isn't over to find the 270-some people -- many of them high school students on a field trip -- who authorities believe may remain trapped inside the five-story ship. At least some could still be alive more than a day after the ferry rolled over.

Their loved ones are praying that some if not all those missing could join the at least 179 passengers who had been rescued as of late Thursday.

How they all ended up in this situation remained a mystery Friday, with the ferry's captain in particular facing mounting questions.
    Desperate search for ferry passengers
    Rescue crews continue search for missing
    'I think we are all going to die'
    Photos: South Korean ship sinks Photos: South Korean ship sinks

Among other things, investigators are looking into whether the ship was off course when it ran into trouble, claims few of its lifeboats made it into the water and reports the captain was among the first to escape, according to Kim Soo Hyeon, the chief of South Korea's Yellow Sea Maritime Police Agency.

"After further investigation, when we have a result, we will make a report," Kim said.

Ferry captain Lee Joon Suk, his head and face covered, broke down in tears when reporters asked if he had anything to say.

"I am sorry, I am at a loss for words," Lee said at a South Korean Coast Guard office.

Weather hinders rescue

More than 170 ships and more than 500 divers have swarmed the ferry about 20 kilometers (12 miles) from the Jindo, South Korea, harbor where relatives have gathered.

But poor conditions have kept rescuers from reaching parts of the ship where air pockets could be sustaining survivors, authorities said.

Can they survive in air pockets?

Relentless rain, whipping winds and thick fog stymied rescue efforts Thursday. Three of the 22 volunteer divers who joined the search went missing in high tide but were later found, YTN said.

Efforts to pump air into the ship also failed because of the bad weather.

Despite government assurances that rescuers would work around the clock to save lives, some relatives were angry about the pace of the operation.

"If the government cares for the people, our family, our children, please rescue our families and our children," said Chang Min, whose second-grade son is among the missing.

'Don't move'

The ferry, which is designed to carry cargo and vehicles as well as passengers, was on a routine passage between Incheon and the resort island of Jeju when something went awry shortly before 9 a.m. Wednesday.

On board were more than 300 Seoul high school students and teachers on a four-day trip to the island.

Passengers told CNN affiliate YTN that the ship began to sharply list and there were loud banging sounds about the same time.

Announcements broadcast over the ship's loudspeakers urged passengers to stay put.

"Don't move," a voice warned, according to a recording obtained by CNN affiliate YTN. "If you move, it's dangerous. Don't move."
    South Korean ferry rescue operationSouth Korean ferry rescue operation
    Did human error sink the S. Korean ferry?
    South Korean ferry rescue growing desperate
    Students trapped in S. Korean ferry

Student Lim Hyung Min, who was rescued, told YTN he heard a bang before the ship began to list.

"The students were falling over and crashing into things and bleeding," Lim said.

Rescue helicopters plucked some passengers from the ship as it lay on its side before capsizing. Crews of fishing vessels and military ships that raced to the scene in a heavily used sea lane pulled others from the water.

Few passengers made it to lifeboats.

Social media video acquired by CNN affiliate JTBC showed at least 12 of the white survival capsules still attached to the ferry even as it was keeled over in the water.

It was unclear, however, exactly how many lifeboats had deployed. Initial reports from YTN said it was one, but the JTBC video shows what appears to be two lifeboats next to the ship.

CNN has not been able to independently confirm the reports.

Hopes for survivors

While no one knows if any of the missing are still alive, authorities said they were operating under the assumption that there are survivors.

That hope largely hinges on whether trapped passengers are in isolated pockets of air on the ship.

"From the images that I've seen, there's clearly some areas of the hull that are above the water, that are not flooded," Mike Dean, the U.S. Navy deputy director for salvage and diving, told "CNN Tonight."

"So absolutely, there could be areas in there where there is breathable air, but the trouble right now is the temperature and getting people to them."

Most passenger bedrooms were on the fourth level of the five-floor boat, which is now upside down. Divers tried at least six times to enter the submerged cabins but were unable to get in, Kim said.

Rescuers will try to pump air into the ship again Friday, authorities said.

They are also considering using cranes to raise the ferry, Kim said.

"We are leaning toward having the vessel raised up. Our first approach was to get to the vessel and insert oxygen inside, in hopes of extending the duration of life expectancy," he said. "Unfortunately, due to the strong current and poor visibility, it was hard to approach the vessel so it could not be carried out."

Anguish and impatience

At the Paeng Mok Harbor in Jindo, some family members of the missing passed the hours Thursday staring at the water.

They huddled in gray ponchos, crying and comforting one another. Some checked their cell phones constantly, hoping to see a new text message from their missing loved one.
    South Korean ferry capsizes
    Nearly 300 missing in ferry disaster
    Expert: Air pockets possible in SK ferry
    Final messages from students on ferry

Heartbreaking text messages said to be from missing passengers amplified the grief, but the semiofficial Yonhap News Agency reported that police had concluded messages purportedly sent from the sunken ship were faked.

Police checked the cell phone logs of all missing passengers and found no evidence of calls or texts, Yonhap reported, citing the Cyber Terror Response Center of the National Police Agency.

Others vented their anger about the pace of the progress, throwing chairs in frustration.

Some parents took a boat toward the accident site, YTN said. But the boat turned back after several of them became so distraught that they fainted.

At least one parent blamed herself.

Christine Kim's daughter didn't want to go on her school's field trip to Jeju. After all, she had just visited the island two months ago.

But Kim urged her to go.

"I told her, 'I think this trip will be (a) very great experience for you,'" the mother said.

Now, she's full of guilt as she waits at the dreary harbor. She's been sitting in the cold rain for more than a day.

"How can I sleep when my daughter is in the cold ocean?"

Explanations elusive

South Korean media reported Thursday that investigators were looking at the possibility the ship may have taken a sharp turn, causing vehicles and cargo aboard to shift and forcing the ship off balance.

CNN has not confirmed those reports.

Kim, the maritime police chief, said it appears the ship deviated from its planned route but that it did not appear it hit a rock.

That information conflicted with an earlier statement by a spokesman for the South Korean Oceans and Fisheries Ministry, who said the ship was not significantly off its planned course.

CNN transportation safety analyst Mary Schiavo said she believed the ship may have struck something, while retired freighter captain Jim Staples said the ship may have been trying to make up speed after departing two hours late from Incheon because of fog.

The ship's operator, Chonghaejin Marine Corp., had no explanation, only apologies.

"We deeply apologize to the families, and I'm saying once again we're really sorry," Chonghaejin executive Kim Young-bung said.

The president of the company tried to venture out to the sunken ferry, but he, too, collapsed and was taken to a hospital.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/17/world/...html?hpt=hp_t1
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    The ship's operator, Chonghaejin Marine Corp., had no explanation, only apologies.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/17/world/...html?hpt=hp_t1
    Just adding my tasteless Western opinion here, but Kim Young-bung is a silly name.

Also, fuck this captain. I get madder every time I see an article about this. So many kids.
    Fucking piece of shit, fucking scum, internet ass holes. fucking ingrate no life having fat ass. you have no fucking clue at whats going on fuck tard shit for brains.

I doubt very much the captain just upped and hauled ass. Anyway, it's not as if he's under any obligation to risk his own life.

Quote Originally Posted by Tree Wizard View Post
    I doubt very much the captain just upped and hauled ass. Anyway, it's not as if he's under any obligation to risk his own life.
    http://www.law.washington.edu/Direct...gShipTake2.pdf
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

That says it's pretty shitty to leave the boat if you're captain, because most people expect you to stay. If you're facing life and death though, it's not like you have to do what someone else thinks is right.

Hey I'd be pissed too if he left me. But from his perspective, he survived, why should he give a shit?

That says it's pretty shitty to leave the boat if you're captain, because most people expect you to stay. If you're facing life and death though, it's not like you have to do what someone else thinks is right.

Hey I'd be pissed too if he left me. But from his perspective, he survived, why should he give a shit?
    You said he's not under an obligation. The article I posted says that if he were an American he could lose his license... I don't know what Korean law is but I suspect they'll think he's under an obligation to his passengers. The Italian captain that ditched his passengers has lost his license and is on trial for manslaughter. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-blackout.html

I suspect he'll never be able to walk down the street without fearing the families of the kids he left to die will run him down, that he'll be tried and sent to jail as well. All of which is to say you are wrong.

I'm not wearing any pants
    I know, aren't they supposed to go down with the ship?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    You said he's not under an obligation. The article I posted says that if he were an American he could lose his license... I don't know what Korean law is but I suspect they'll think he's under an obligation to his passengers. The Italian captain that ditched his passengers has lost his license and is on trial for manslaughter. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-blackout.html

I suspect he'll never be able to walk down the street without fearing the families of the kids he left to die will run him down, that he'll be tried and sent to jail as well. All of which is to say you are wrong.
    Thinking about it, you're probably right that he had an obligation. Contractual at least I'd think, legally maybe.

Your link though didn't say there was a US law for what happens when a ship is sinking. Contractual maybe, but can it really say in a contract "Risk your life, if you don't and people die you're going to jail" for a ferry captain? Maybe. I don't know.

But I always thought the idea of a captain staying was voluntary. Never thought about it much since I never use boats.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    I may be posting based on emotion here, but here is the obligation:

THE CAPTAIN GOES DOWN WITH THE SHIP

There is no "stay where you are" no "let me get in to this lifeboat" no "well, oops.... sry "

Whether or not it was your fuck up or not. You make a vow. You get as many people off as possible and if that means that you die trying, then so be it. It's the responsibility you take on as a Captain.

Fucking Coward. Lowest of the low. Period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

i think that as a captain, your charge is to know your ship - the ins and outs, how she operates and the best procedures for staying afloat. the reason you are expected to go down with the ship is because if you leave, there is no expert on board and everything goes downhill faster and the body count goes up.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

That's EXACTLY what he did. He was one of the first people off.

And he's now at the center of a criminal investigation, which suggests that even if he's not expected to go down with the ship, he is expected to see that safety protocols and evacuation measures are carried out.

I sort of agree with Tree. Where is the law that a captain has to go down with the ship?

I think it was shitty that the captain left the boat. Real shitty. You never know somebody's true character until you faced with a situation like that. Now everybody knows his true character. But, I can't swear that I wouldn't do the same thing. I'd like to say I wouldn't, but I really don't know.

Remember that guy that owned the Titanic? Ismay (Sp?) He left the ship on a lifeboat. He never lived it down. I suspect the captain of this ferry will never live it down either.

Vice principal rescued from ferry is found hanged

Trimmed

Jindo, South Korea (CNN) -- The high school vice principal who was rescued from the sunken South Korean ferry was found hanging from a tree, police said Friday.

Kang Min Kyu, 52, was on board the ferry along with more than 300 students from Ansan Danwon High School. He was among the first survivors to be rescued.

Police said he apparently hanged himself with a belt from a tree near a gymnasium in Jindo, where distraught relatives of missing passengers have been camping out.

It's the latest tragic turn after the ferry's sinking, which remains unexplained.

The death toll from Wednesday's disaster rose to 28 on Friday as divers raced to reach the hundreds of people still believed to be inside ship.

Divers breached the hull of a sunken ferry Friday, and two managed to enter the second deck -- the cargo deck, the South Korean Coast Guard said. But rough waters forced them back out again. They didn't find any bodies in their brief search.

"The guide line that links the sunken ship and the rescue vessel has been cut off," the Coast Guard said. "Still, the entrance into the ship is open, and we plan to resume operation to enter the ship."

My mother left for a cruise today.

I'm mobile posting so I hope this works. Latest word is that the captain's arrest is being sought.

http://m.bbc.com/news/world-asia-27077694

BBC News keeps saying he broke the law. However according to this article, it's a fine line - perhaps the choice of terminology. He's not expected to "go down with the ship" but he is responsible for the safety of every soul on the ship. So basically, everyone off before him which then could result in him going down with the ship.

South Korea, for instance, is a member of the International Maritime Organization which has its own rules for captains outlined in the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea. The convention doesn’t mandate that the captain stay on board, but its rules suggest a captain is always responsible for the people on board.

“There is nothing in any IMO Convention to specifically require a captain to stay on board the vessel in the event of an incident such as this, however he/she does retain full responsibility for the safety of the vessel and those on board,” IMO spokesman Lee Adamson told ABC News in an email today.
    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...aking-the-law/
    Getting arrested for coke in Vegas is like being found eating a chocolate bar in the willy wonka factory.

More: http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...ndon_ship.html

This 2012 NPR interview with an expert on maritime law, conducted during the furor over the behavior of captain Francesco Schettino during the Costa Concordia cruise ship disaster which killed 32 people, covers a captain?s legal obligations in the context of the well-known phrase ?go down with the ship.?

NPR: What actually is the captain's responsibility under maritime law?

ROD SULLIVAN: That old saying stems from salvage. If a captain left the ship, anybody could come onboard and salvage it. But in the modern Merchant Marine and in connection with passenger ships, he is legally required to render assistance to every single person trying to get off that ship, and also identify those people who may have been killed in the incident.
    So, he ain't rendering any kind of assistance to anyone if his sorry ass is chillin' in the only deployed lifeboat.

They're now saying he wasn't even manning the ferry - a 1st officer or someone like that was at the controls. No idea where the captain was. BBC News was speculating that was perhaps why only one lifeboat deployed - because the captain was no where to be found and thus was not giving anyone instructions.
    Getting arrested for coke in Vegas is like being found eating a chocolate bar in the willy wonka factory.

The vice-principal of a South Korean high school who accompanied hundreds of pupils on what turned out to be a disastrous ferry trip has committed suicide, police said on Friday, as hopes faded of finding any of the 268 missing passengers alive.

Kang Min-gyu, 52, had been missing since Thursday. He appeared to have hanged himself with his belt from a tree outside a gym in the port city of Jindo where relatives of the people missing on the ship, mostly children from the school, were gathered.
    http://news.msn.com/world/vice-princ...cid=newssocial

Thread Information