Thread: Holy Chocolate Jesus!

Holy Chocolate Jesus!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6513155.stm

A New York art gallery has decided to cancel an exhibit of a chocolate sculpture of Jesus Christ after protests by a US Catholic group.

The six-foot (1.8m) sculpture, entitled "My Sweet Lord", depicts a naked Jesus Christ with his arms outspread.

The sculpture, by artist Cosimo Cavallaro, was to have been displayed from Monday at Manhattan's Lab Gallery.

The timing, over Easter Holy Week - the most important part of the Christian year - provoked an outcry.

The Roger Smith Hotel housing the Lab gallery decided to cancel the exhibition after the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights called for a boycott.

'Strong-arming'

"We're delighted with the outcome," said Kiera McCaffrey, spokeswoman for the League.

Ms McCaffrey had called the exhibit "an assault on Christians".

"They would never dare do something similar with a chocolate statue of the Prophet Mohammed naked with his genitals exposed during Ramadan."

The Lab gallery's artistic director, Matt Semler, has offered his resignation, saying the decision to cancel the exhibition was a result of "strong-arming from people who haven't seen the show, seen what we're doing.

"They jumped to conclusions completely contrary to our intentions," he said.

Mr Semler said the timing of the exhibition - when Christians mark the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ - was coincidental.

Canadian-born Mr Cavallaro is known for using food ingredients in his art, on one occasion painting a hotel room in mozzarella cheese.

He used 200 pounds (90 kg) of chocolate to make the sculpture which, unusually, depicts Jesus without a loincloth. It showed him suspended in air with his arms spread wide, as if crucified.

[hr]

Click the link for a picture!

Damn, that looks like good dark chocolate too... Mmmmm.  I'd love to see him hanging on a butterscotch crucifix.

Re: Holy Chocolate Jesus!

Were they pissed because he was chocolate or because you could see his 'nads?
    I'd always presumed that Jesus did, in fact, have a p33n..and that he was made out of scrumptious, scrumptious chocolate.

[quote author=Ren link=topic=6174.msg264428#msg264428 date=1175470184]
    Were they pissed because he was chocolate or because you could see his 'nads?
    I'd always presumed that Jesus did, in fact, have a p33n..and that he was made out of scrumptious, scrumptious chocolate.
    [/quote]

And they say he's a virgin... :roll:

The six-foot (1.8m) sculpture, entitled "My Sweet Lord", depicts a naked Jesus Christ with his arms outspread.
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    <br /><br /><br />&quot;We&#39;re all fucked. It helps to remember that.&quot;<br />- George Carlin

I bet they were just pissed because he was black chocolate and not white chocolate.

this is dumb. it doesn't matter if he's white or black. jesus is the original barbie doll
    [quote author=eliot.eliot]God, this is why i love you..You&#039;re witty..almost too witty...[/quote][quote author=eliot.eliot]I&#039;m putty in your hands.[/quote]

Mr Semler said the timing of the exhibition - when Christians mark the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ - was coincidental.
    &nbsp; riiiiiight.&nbsp; So just have the exhibition a week later.&nbsp; I think he was going for shock value, and purposely did it at the time.&nbsp; &nbsp; meh.. doesnt bother me. Let people decide if they want to view it, or eat it. Or whatever.

At least his life wasnt threatened by it. Maybe he should do a chocalote Mohammed and see what happens.&nbsp; yikes!

I wonder who gets to eat him?
    The Pope maybe?

Thread Information