Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Frontman of metal band GWAR Dave Brockie, 50, found dead in his home

This is so sad,Dave was an awesome guy. Lordi reminds me of Gwar. But nothing van replace Gwar.

It was a heroin OD--

http://wtvr.com/2014/06/03/dave-broc...roin-overdose/

RICHMOND, Va. -- Dave Brockie, lead singer and mastermind of Richmond-based art/shock-rock metal band GWAR died of an accidental heroin overdose, according to the State Medical Examiner's Office.

The M.E.'s official cause of death: acute heroin toxicity, means: accident.

Brockie, was found unresponsive by his roommate in his North Richmond home on March 23. Responding police investigators found evidence of heroin use, but the cause of death wasn't finalized until toxicology tests were completed.

Close friends told CBS-6 that they had been worried about his behavior and suspected his known penchant for marijuana smoking and partying had taken a bad turn.

He was known as the prime heartbeat and creative leader of a large theatrical troupe popular around the world and twice nominated for a Grammy.

Just prior to his death, the band completed a tour of Japan, something Brockie had wanted to do for a long time.

Beyond his music, Brockie was known for his art, sculpture, writing and his quick and wildly irreverent wit, appearing regularly on the Fox network Red-eye news talk show.

His death sent shockwaves around the world.
    Last edited by *crickets*; 06-03-2014 at 01:38 PM.

http://pitchfork.com/news/56349-gwar...war-b-q-video/

GWAR Give Oderus Urungus a Viking Funeral at GWAR B-Q: Video
    The late Dave Brockie's costume is set ablaze in a boat on Hadad's Lake in Richmond, Virginia
    By Evan Minsker on August 17, 2014 at 12:00 p.m. EDT

Photo via Lamb of God singer Randy Blythe's Instagram

In March, Dave Brockie, founder and frontman of*GWAR, was*found dead*in his Richmond, Va. home. To kick off this year's GWAR B-Q, Brockie's Oderus Urungus costume was laid out on a boat surrounded by offerings, pushed out onto Hadad's Lake in Richmond, and set on fire with a flaming arrow. That's right: Oderus Urungus was given a Viking funeral. Watch it happen below via*Rolling Stone. The ceremony featured a eulogy from Lamb of God singer Randy Blythe.*"Dave is the only motherfucker I know who has to get put away twice," he said. "He?s too big for one fucking funeral." He also wrote an extended memorial to Brockie on Instagram:

Tonight we sent Oderus home in a fitting manner at the public memorial for Dave Brockie. A blazing Viking ship with Oderus laid out in it, the cuttlefish pointing proudly straight up. Watching my friend Dave's costume go up in flames in front of a thousand fans was so much more intense for me than the private memorial for friends & family we had April Fool's Day.

I spoke at both of them, as GWAR asked me to, & both times as I spoke I was sad. But watching his alter-ego burn tore me up way more than the first memorial, maybe because there was Dave, the human who was my friend who just "left us"?I never saw his body?& then there was Oderus, who was something entirely else. To watch his stage gear burn was like watching part of my life literally go up in flames. I was sobbing my eyes out as I took this photo. It was just a super-intense moment. Very beautiful, but overwhelming. Fly free, Oderus?you are missed

Thread Information