Thread: Merrill Modisette - murdered by grandson 06/10/96 - need help with info

Merrill Modisette - murdered by grandson 06/10/96 - need help with info

I have been looking for info regarding this case since the early 2000s and have been unsuccessful in finding anything substantial.

Merrill Lee Modisette was murdered by her grandson, Grant Austin Bailey, Jr., also known as "JR", on June 10, 1996 in Minden, Louisiana. Bailey was 15 at the time of the crime and was charged as an adult and convicted of 2nd degree homicide. I believe he was sentenced to life in prison with the possibility of parole in 40 years. He was housed at Louisiana State Penitentiary, "Angola."

I went to elementary school and junior high with this boy, and he always seemed so nice, which is why this crime fascinates me. I would love help finding any further information about the case.

I'm not much help, but I did find a couple things... The grandmother's name is actually spelled Merrell

Her findagrave page

A piece from an old news article (you have to pay to view the whole thing)

A Webster Parish grand jury has indicted a 15- year-old boy on a charge of second-degree homicide in the shooting of his grandmother. Immediately after the release of Friday's indictment, prosecutors obtained a court order to transfer Grant A. Bailey Jr. of Leton to the Webster Parish Jail in Minden, Attorney Schuyler Marvin said. The district attorney's office gave notice early last week of its intent'to prosecute Bailey as an adult Authorities had been holding Bailey in the Northwest Louisiana Juvenile Detention Center in Coushatta since the body of Merrell Modisette, 52, was found June 11 in her home. The boy lived with Modisette. some at a flea market in Fort Worth,"
    Another old news article (almost same info)

A Webster Parish grand jury has indicted a 15-year-old boy on a charge of second- degree homicide in the shooting of his grandmother. Immediately after the release of Friday's indict- ment, prosecutors obtained a court order to transfer Grant . A. Bailey Jr. of Leton to the Webster Parish Jail in Minden, Assistant District Attorney Schuyler Marvin said. The district attorney's office gave notice early last week of its intent to prosecute Bailey as an adult. Authorities had been holding Bailey in the Northwest Louisiana Juvenile Detention Center in Coushatta since the body of Merrell Modisette, 52, was found June 11 in her home. The boy lived with Modisette. A motive in the shooting was not released.
    Supposedly, the court docket is number 58908 per this link

In June of 1996 Grant Bailey was indited on the charge of 2nd degree homicide
    in the shooting death of his grandmother in Minden Louisiana. He was 15 years
    old at the time. He went to trial as a minor with a public defender and was
    charged and convicted as a adult. He was then sent to L.S.P. where he is
    located in a "lock down section" permanently.(R-C Upper CT.)
    His court docket # was #58908. I've ordered copies of the case to study.If
    anyone has any knowledge about minors that are convicted as adults and housed
    with adults. Any info on this case in particular. Or any info on this
    particular prison. Rules, privileges, etc. I would greatly appreciate it.
    I can be your *ADDICTION* if you wanna get hooked on something!!

Thank you!

Grant is my brother. I could contact him if you would like.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina Southerland View Post
    Grant is my brother. I could contact him if you would like.
    Curious if a motive was ever known?

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Thread Information