Thread: Walter Williams (87) declared dead, now awake and talking

Walter Williams (87) declared dead, now awake and talking

Even in the Bible Belt, coroners don't use the word "miracle" lightly.

But Holmes County, Mississippi, Coroner Dexter Howard has no qualms using the word for the resurrection, as it were, of Walter Williams, who was declared dead Wednesday night.

Howard received the call from Williams' hospice nurse, who told Howard that the 87-year-old had passed away. A family member called as well, saying the same, Howard said.

Howard and Byron Porter from Porter & Sons Funeral Home in Lexington, Mississippi, drove to Williams' home to collect the body for funeral preparations. Howard checked Williams' pulse about 9 p.m. and pronounced him dead.

"There was no pulse. He was lifeless," Howard said.

The coroner completed his paperwork, placed Williams in a body bag and transported him to the funeral home, he said. There, something strange happened: The body bag moved.

"We got him into the embalming room and we noticed his legs beginning to move, like kicking," Howard said. "He also began to do a little breathing."

They immediately called an ambulance. Paramedics arrived and hooked Williams up to monitors. Sure enough, he had a heartbeat, so they transported him to the Holmes County Hospital and Clinics.

"They were in shock. I was in shock. I think everybody at the hospital was in shock," Howard said.

Neither in the 12 years as county coroner nor during his decade as deputy coroner has Howard seen anything like it. Howard was absolutely certain Williams was dead.

The only reasonable explanation he could think of, Howard said, is that Williams' defibrillator, implanted beneath the skin on his chest, jump-started his heart after he was placed in the body bag.

"It could've kicked in, started his heart back," Howard said. "The bottom line is it's a miracle."

Overjoyed family members are thanking God for saving the life of the longtime farmer they call "Snowball."

"So it was not my daddy's time," daughter Martha Lewis told CNN affiliate WJTV. "I don't know how much longer he's going to grace us and bless us with his presence, but hallelujah, we thank Him right now!"

Nephew Eddie Hester told CNN affiliate WAPT he was at Williams' Lexington home when Howard and Porter zipped up the body bag, so he was more than a little stunned when his cousin called at 2:30 a.m. Thursday and told him, "Not yet."

"What you mean not yet?" Hester recalled asking his cousin. "He said, 'Daddy's still here.' "

"I don't know how long he's going to be here, but I know he's back right now. That's all that matters," Hester told WAPT.

Howard visited Williams on Thursday at the hospital and said he was still "a little weak" but was surrounded by family members and talking.

Mike Murphy, the coroner for Clark County, Nevada, and past president of the International Association of Coroners and Medical Examiners, said he couldn't comment on this specific case without knowing all the details, but he's read news reports of people returning to life at funeral homes "from time to time."

Asked if he'd ever heard of a case in which a defibrillator played a role in bringing someone back to life, Murphy said he hadn't, "but just because I haven't heard it doesn't mean it hasn't happened."
    http://edition.cnn.com/2014/02/28/us...mes-back-life/
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    What?!? The Bible belt definitely uses the word miracle too fucking much!

This isn't a miracle, it's a mistake. Stop thanking Odin. Oh,I forgot; Odin isn't real so thanking or blaming him is just silly.
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    What?!? The Bible belt definitely uses the word miracle too fucking much!

This isn't a miracle, it's a mistake. Stop thanking Odin. Oh,I forgot; Odin isn't real so thanking or blaming him is just silly.

The dude is 87.

It's hard not to picture the scene. I wonder if the dude shit on himself when the dead man woke up?

Funeral homes rolling bodies through like cattle roundups.

This is why I get real nervous when a patient dies on my floor. I'm super careful when confirming a death; I don't want something like this to happen to me! lol

Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post

The dude is 87.

It's hard not to picture the scene. I wonder if the dude shit on himself when the dead man woke up?

Funeral homes rolling bodies through like cattle roundups.
    "I declare her dead. RIP Bermstalker."

"But Ron, I'm alive."

"IT'S A MIRACLE!"

Has anyone here heard the story of the coroner that supposedly died of a heart attack/shock after a "dead" body came back to life and scared the shit out of him? I wonder if there is any truth to that story...

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

"I declare her dead. RIP Bermstalker."

"But Ron, I'm alive."

"IT'S A MIRACLE!"

That's not funny. That's how He died you know.

If only he'd been in the south, where miracles happen...
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Great. Now Jahi's family will never give up.

There is actually a scientific explaination for this story:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2121643/

Its called the Lazarus Syndrome/Phenonmenon

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    There is actually a scientific explaination for this story:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2121643/

Its called the Lazarus Syndrome/Phenonmenon
    Liar. It's magic. Praise Odin!

Everything is funny with Fred Sanford.

the old man who cried wolf.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

I was trying to be offended. Felt weird.

Even in the Bible Belt, coroners don't use the word "miracle" lightly.
    Miracle whip, asshole. Fuck you, Eliott C. McLaughlin. You don't know shit!

Good to have you back, Walter.

Fibro Fog has taken over. I am in a constant state of dyscognition so please excuse my retardation.
    'The worst things in the world are justified by belief'- Raised by Wolves SOI

"Your life is short, it's the longest thing you'll ever do/ the worse the curse was that your dreams came true/
    God is a mirror in which each man sees himself/ Hell is place where you don't need anyone's help"

~You got to cry with out weeping. Talk without speaking
    Scream without raising your voice~

he died again
    (CNN) -- Walter Williams, the Mississippi man who returned to life after being pronounced dead about two weeks ago, died Thursday.

He was 78.

"They came and got him again around 4:15 a.m.," Williams' nephew, Eddie Hester, told CNN affiliate WAPT. "I think he's gone this time."

CNN learned about the death from Holmes County, Mississippi, coroner Dexter Howard. He was the same man who first declared Williams dead on February 26.

"There was no pulse. He was lifeless," the coroner said then.

He completed his paperwork, placed Williams in a body bag and transported him to the funeral home. There, something strange happened: The body bag moved.

Coroner on Williams' revival two weeks ago: 'I was in shock'

"We got him into the embalming room, and we noticed his legs beginning to move, like kicking," Howard said last month. "He also began to do a little breathing."

They immediately called an ambulance. Paramedics arrived and hooked Williams up to monitors. Sure enough, he had a heartbeat, so they transported him to the Holmes County Hospital and Clinics.

Williams was released a few days later, according to WAPT.

CNN affiliate WJTV reported the longtime farmer, family members called "Snowball," died at his home.
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/13/us/mis...html?hpt=hp_t2

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Yeah.... Maybe have a different guy declare him dead this time.

I guess he just wanted a couple more weeks. He got them!

And the "he also began to do a little breathing".....

Finally rest now Walker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

I wonder if they waited a little longer this time, just in case he started breathing again...haha

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

My father in law had a heart attack, then bypass surgery and a pacemaker with a defibrillator. He went into a downward spiral with congestive heart failure. He ended up in the hospital to get some fluid drained due to heart failure and was found to be in kidney failure and was deemed end stage cardiac disease. We got a phone call early in the morning to hurry to the hospital as he was dying. We rushed in and found him to be in quite a bit of distress, laying flat on his back and complaining about needing to pee...he had already had a catheter inserted, so I'm not sure why he felt the need to pee. My husband began to raise the head of the bed and the nurse told my husband not to do that as his bp was so low, raising the head of the bed would certainly kill him. His family was asked to stop live saving measures and let him die and assured us he would die in short order without meds being given to keep his bp up. So, live saving measures were stopped and he didn't fucking die..so they began giving him large and frequent doses of morphine which made him unresponsive. At least his thrashing with bladder discomfort stopped. I began thinking about his pacemaker, so I stepped out of the room and questioned the doc about the defibrillator and he sort of said oh shit I forgot about that. They then came in with legal papers to sign, waved a magic wand over his chest and turned the pacer off. I had nightmares of him dying and being shocked back to life.

"I think he's gone this time" made me LOL. RIP, Walter. I'm sorry you died twice.

Thread Information