Thread: Loretta Saunders (26) was murdered by her roommates and her body was dumped on the side of a highway

Loretta Saunders (26) was murdered by her roommates and her body was dumped on the side of a highway

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2014...e_of_a_highway

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...iles-home.html

Body of missing pregnant student, 26, investigating murdered women found dumped alongside Candian highway hundreds of miles from home

Loretta Saunders, 26, was last seen leaving the Halifax, Nova Scotia apartment building she rented out to a couple February 13 Her body was found on median off Route 2 of Trans-Canada Highway in New Brunswick; police ruled the death a homicide Tenants Victoria Henneberry, 28, and Blake Leggette, 25, were arrested with her stolen car in far away Harrow, Ontario Couple charged for stealing Saunders' car and using her debit card but were also wanted for unrelated crimes Saunders was an Inuit and had written her thesis on missing and murdered Aboriginal women in Canada

By ASHLEY COLLMAN and SNEJANA FARBEROV

Police in Halifax, Canada, announced Wednesday that they have found the body of a pregnant college student who went missing nearly two weeks ago. Loretta Saunders, 26, was discovered dead on a median off Route 2 of the Trans-Canada Highway in New Brunswick - more than 450 miles from her hometown of Halifax. Saunders, a criminology major in Saint Mary's University who had written a thesis about missing and murdered aboriginal women, was last seen February 13 on her way to collect rent from her tenants.

Tragic end: Pregnant college student Loretta Saunders, 26 (pictured), was found dead off a road in New Brunswick nearly two weeks after she was seen leaving an apartment building in Halifax, Nova Scotia

Resting place: Saunders' remains were discovered near the Trans-Canada Highway in New Brunswick

Law enforcement officials said they have ruled Miss Saunders? death a homicide and have identified the suspects in her slaying, National Post reported. The victim?s two tenants have been previously arrested in Ontario, some 2,000 miles from Halifax, for allegedly stealing Saunders' car. According to a statement released by police, Saunders? remains were found at around 4.30pm Wednesday off a road west of Salisbury. Police are not saying if Blake Leggette and Victoria Hennenberry, who have been renting Saunders' apartment, will face charges in her murder, but officials said they are not looking for any other suspects. Both Leggette, 25, and Henneberry, 28, have been extradited from Ontario back to Halifax to face charges of theft of vehicle.

Miss Saunders was last seen alive on surveillance footage leaving the Halifax apartment she started renting to Henneberry and Leggette last month. Just six days after her February 13 disappearance, the couple were busted over 2,000 miles away at a friend's house in Harrow, Ontario with Saunders' car and debit card. Yalcin Surkultay, Saunders' boyfriend of two years, was the last to see the three-months pregnant woman, who just recently finished her undergraduate thesis on Aboriginal women who had gone missing or were murdered in Canada. The two were living together after she started renting her own apartment in a high-rise building to help cover school expenses.

On a mission: Saunders was last seen going to pick up rent from sketchy tenants Victoria Henneberry, 28 (left), and Blake Leggette, 25 (right). When she turned up at the apartment, the couple was not there and they didn't leave a check, so she called to tell them they needed to move out

But Saunders had been having a hard time collecting $700 in rent from the tenants she met on classifieds site Kijiji, so she was going to get the funds in person. 'She went to get her rent Thursday and said if they didn't have it she'll tell them they have to leave.' her brother Edmund Saunders told the National Post. 'When she got there they weren't home. She phoned them, apparently, and told them they had to leave.' That was the last time she was seen in person. CCTV footage caught her leaving the building, and it doesn't seem like she was followed.

Facing justice: Both Leggette (left) and Henneberry (right) have been sent back to Halifax to face car theft charges

But Saunders had been having a hard time collecting $700 in rent from the tenants she met on classifieds site Kijiji, so she was going to get the funds in person. 'She went to get her rent Thursday and said if they didn't have it she'll tell them they have to leave.' her brother Edmund Saunders told the National Post. 'When she got there they weren't home. She phoned them, apparently, and told them they had to leave.' That was the last time she was seen in person. CCTV footage caught her leaving the building, and it doesn't seem like she was followed.

Last edited by Olivia; 03-27-2014 at 12:54 AM. Reason: added article

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    Had to at "sketchy tenants". Collecting rent from people isn't a job I'd do on my own if I were a small framed female. Poor girl, I hope they find the asshats who did this.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

Makeup, mohawks & hair dye are swapped for handcuffs & smirks. Nice.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/02...etta-saunders/

Police say Leggette, Henneberry and Saunders knew each other, but wouldn?t expand on the relationship. Members of Saunders?s family travelled to Halifax to make public appeals for help in finding the young Inuit woman, who was originally from Labrador. Delilah Terriak has said her sister was set to graduate from university in May. She was studying criminology and sociology and she had been working on a thesis on missing and murdered indigenous women in Canada, focusing on three Nova Scotia cases. The?Coast Salish Territory/Vancouver ?B.C. First Nations leaders released a statement on Saunders?s death, re-iterating the importance of her research. ?Aboriginal people from across the country are mourning the loss of this?bright young scholar. She was courageous enough to step outside the box?with her plans to study this dark and disturbing topic,? the statement read. ?Every First Nation in B.C. identifies with this case and knows firsthand?the great sorrow of losing one of their daughters, mothers or aunts to?senseless violence and death. Canadians should be outraged by the?senseless death of Loretta Saunders.? The First Nations leaders are calling for a national inquiry into the deaths of?missing and murdered aboriginal women
    If they knew her, they knew she was Aboriginal & they probably knew what she was studying

http://highwayoftears.org/about-us/highway-of-tears

https://warriorpublications.wordpres...hway-of-tears/

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...?from=19350269

& then they went out of their way to dump her on the Trans-Canada Highway like all those young women she was trying to help.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...rder-1.2724746
    August 1st 2014
    The couple accused of first-degree murder in the death of Halifax university student Loretta Saunders will go to trial, a court decided today. Victoria*Henneberry, 28, and Blake*Leggette, 26, are scheduled to appear in Nova Scotia Supreme Court on Aug. 28. Victoria Henneberry, 28, and Blake Leggette, 25, arrive at the Nova Scotia provincial court on Spring Garden Road on Feb. 28. They're charged with first-degree murder.

Henneberry cried Friday as Judge Anne Derrick reviewed the evidence against her in provincial court in Halifax. Saunders, 26, disappeared from Halifax on Feb. 13. Henneberry and Leggette had been subletting her apartment in Cowie Hill. They were arrested in Ontario with her car five days after she disappeared. Her body was found in a wooded area off the Trans-Canada Highway in New Brunswick on Feb. 26.

The couple's preliminary hearing has seen some dramatic moments requiring heavy security to be brought in*and the pair being brought to the courthouse early. On the third day, Saunders's uncle lunged at the co-accused, but family members grabbed him before he reached the two. A publication ban has been placed on the evidence presented during the preliminary hearing.*

http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/1...-supreme-court

Victoria Henneberry and Blake Leggette, charged with first-degree murder in the February death of university student Loretta Saunders, made their first appearance in Nova Scotia Supreme Court on Thursday. (RYAN TAPLIN /Staff/ File)

A Halifax couple charged with first-degree murder in the February death of Loretta Saunders have made their first appearances in Nova Scotia Supreme Court. Blake Leggette, 26, and girlfriend Victoria Henneberry, 28, were committed to stand trial after a preliminary inquiry that wrapped up in Halifax provincial court Aug. 1. They appeared separately in Supreme Court in Halifax on Thursday.

Justice Kevin Coady scheduled a pretrial conference for lawyers Sept. 19. The case will return to open court Sept. 25 to set dates for a jury trial expected to last at least a month. Leggette and Henneberry remain in custody at the Central Nova Scotia Correctional Facility in Dartmouth, under court order to have no contact with each other.

Saunders was a 26-year-old Inuit from Labrador who was studying at Saint Mary?s University in Halifax. She went missing Feb. 13 after going to collect rent from Leggette and Henneberry, who were subletting her apartment on Cowie Hill Road. Her body was found two weeks later in a hockey bag dumped in woods along the Trans-Canada Highway near Salisbury, N.B. Saunders? death renewed calls for a national inquiry into missing and murdered aboriginal women, a topic she was focusing on for her thesis at SMU.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/aboriginal/...eath-1.2555237

Trying to make sense of Loretta Saunders' death
    Pattern of violence against indigenous women must stop, says Saunders' professor
    OPINIONMar 02, 2014 6:44 PM ET
    Darryl Leroux special to, CBC News

Darryl Leroux teaches sociology and criminology in K’jipuktuk, Sikep’nekatik district, Mi’kma’ki. He was supervising Loretta Saunders' honours degree thesis, on missing and murdered indigenous women. This essay was first published on the Halifax Media Coop website.

"I woke up early this morning, unable to fall back asleep. As you may imagine, the past 10 days or so have been extremely difficult, for a number of reasons that I never could’ve predicted.

After hearing about Loretta’s murder, I walked home, the loneliest walk of my life, braving onlookers who were no doubt puzzled at the tears streaming from my eyes and the sounds emanating from my body.

I’m still in shock at the news, and especially of her final resting place. That image hurts beyond anything I could say in words.

And I refuse for that to be the last image I have of Loretta, given her remarkable spirit.

Even as I write this, as the tears wrack my body and the letters on my keyboard blur, none of this seems real. I was always so worried about Loretta. She presented all of the vulnerabilities to which indigenous women are prone, through no fault of her own.

'It's our doing, which Loretta articulated so clearly in her writing -- theft of land base, legalized segregation and racism, residential schools for several generations, continued dispossession = social chaos.'- - Darryl Leroux

I reread her thesis proposal last night and was reminded of how deeply she was aware of being a product of a Canadian society intent on destroying and eliminating indigenous peoples. That last word, “eliminating,” may seem extreme to some, but it is now so charged, so raw, so very real. Elimination. [Deep breath] [Deep breath] [Deep breath] Elimination.

Lying in a ditch along the Trans-Canada Highway. I simply cannot get this image out of my mind.

So many friends want to discuss the details of the case with me, they want to dissect it like they were the lead characters in a crime drama, the same ones that actually promote the incarceration and elimination of indigenous peoples and peoples of colour from society. What in the world makes somebody think that I want to listen to them piece together Loretta’s murder.

This is not a crime drama, she is dead. Murdered. What is wrong with those people? What were they thinking? If it’s not friends acting like sleuths, it’s the media acting like buzzards, circling and waiting for somebody to surrender like fallen prey. No more than 5 minutes goes by between the police announcement of Loretta’s murder and my inbox and voicemail being filled with requests.

If you’re reading this, take it as my statement. I refuse to speculate about Loretta’s death. What I do know is that our society has discarded indigenous women and girls in much the same manner for generations. These people were playing out a script that we all know intimately, but never acknowledge.

It's our doing, which Loretta articulated so clearly in her writing -- theft of land base, legalized segregation and racism, residential schools for several generations, continued dispossession = social chaos.

It is a recipe for disaster for indigenous peoples, and especially indigenous women. Who suffers most when access to land, to the ecological order at the basis of most indigenous societies, is limited, controlled, or outright eliminated? Is that not what’s at the basis of a settler society like our own, eliminating indigenous peoples' relationship to the land (and/or their actual bodies), so that can we plunder it for our gain?

All the while, through trickery and deceit, we convince our children that indigenous peoples are to blame for their condition, that through no fault of our own, they simply don’t understand how to live well in society.

When I discuss these issues with my non-indigenous students in an open, honest, and non-judgmental manner, I am continuously disappointed, though no longer surprised by their lack of knowledge.

Less than half of my second-year students have heard of residential schools, and among those who have, only a handful can imagine and articulate the impacts such a system would have had in their own communities. We are for the most part incapable of empathy.

I ask my students, who are you meant to care about in society? The answer is always clear to them – I have been taught in such a way that I’m mostly incapable of caring about indigenous peoples. It’s not that they don’t want to, it’s that it takes years of hard work. And who has that much time or is willing to be vulnerable in the face of the seemingly unending gulf that lies before them?

And so we continue to look to indigenous peoples like the savages we imagine them to be. Meanwhile, Loretta is dumped in a ditch in a province that once paid European invaders for the scalps of Mi’kmaq women, children, and men, repeating a centuries-old pattern in ways that are much too familiar to be a coincidence, to be irony, to be senseless. But these are the most common qualifiers I read about Loretta’s life and death.

Loretta herself expressed the patterned, structured ways of colonial violence very clearly in her work, which I reread last night before falling asleep.

It is an organized terror of the everyday. And it must stop."

Darryl Leroux spent many hours speaking with, advising, and reading Loretta Saunders undergraduate honours thesis research.*
    Last edited by blighted star; 09-06-2014 at 01:44 AM.

#AmINext

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/09/06...original-women

Loretta Saunders. (Halifax Regional Police/HO)
    NDP joins call for missing women inquiry
    More talk or real change?
    Canada's Ferguson?
    Aboriginal uprisings

Native Canadian woman are holding up signs asking, "Am I next?" in a new online campaign to bring attention to missing and murdered aboriginal women.

Using the hashtag #AmINext on Twitter, the women are hoping to catch the attention of Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

The campaign was started by Holly Jarrett, the cousin of 26-year-old Loretta Saunders, an Inuit woman from Labrador who was found dead next to the Trans-Canada Highway near Moncton, N.B., Feb, 26. Saunders, who was three months pregnant at the time of her death, was researching missing and murdered aboriginal women at St. Mary's University in Halifax.

"She was really passionate about telling her story, to stand up and tell the brutal truth," Jarrett told the website PressProgress.ca about why she launched the campaign. Jarrett's Change.org petition calling for a public inquiry into missing and murdered aboriginal women has more than 320,000 supporters.
    (snipped due to dramas posting, full article/pix/tweets at link)

Petition link :

https://www.change.org/p/hon-kellie-...retta-saunders

Guilty pleas in Loretta Saunders murder

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2015/04/2...aunders-murder

The couple accused of murdering Loretta Saunders has pleaded guilty.

The opening statements in the trial for Blake Leggette, 25, and Victoria Henneberry, 28, were supposed to start Wednesday afternoon, but the guilty pleas quickly ended the proceedings.

Leggette pleaded guilty to first-degree murder and Henneberry pleaded guilty to second-degree murder.

Saunders' body was found near the Trans-Canada Highway in New Brunswick two weeks after she was reported missing from her Halifax apartment in February 2014.

The case made national headlines and provoked renewed calls for an inquiry into missing and murdered aboriginal women in Canada.

The 26-year-old Labradorian was writing her thesis at Saint Mary's University about missing and murdered aboriginal women.

Leggette and Henneberry are scheduled to be sentenced on April 28. Both crimes carry an automatic life sentence, so the hearing will focus on parole eligibility.

The couple was subletting a room from Saunders, but were having financial troubles and planning to leave Halifax, according to an agreed statement of facts read into court. Leggette decided to kill Saunders, steal her car and the duo would leave the province.

Henneberry didn't learn of Leggette's plan until just before Saunders was attacked, according to the statement of facts.

Leggette tried to choke Saunders from behind while she sat on the couch and tried to put plastic bags over her head, but Saunders tore through them. Leggette hit her over the head, and wrapped her head in plastic wrap before putting her in a hockey bag, the statement of facts said.

Leggette then put Saunders' body in her car, and the couple left town making stops along the way using Saunders' debit card. Henneberry also used the victim's cellphone, pretending to be her, to text Saunders' boyfriend.

The couple dumped Saunders' body, still in the hockey bag, in a treed area on the side of a highway near Salisbury, N.B.

Saunders' family is expected to speak at a news conference on Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by sogs View Post
    Nothing matters but the lesbian.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/n...peal-1.3921738

Careful what you wish for: Judge tells Victoria Henneberry appeal may backfire

Henneberry, who pleaded guilty to the second-degree murder of Loretta Saunders, could face stiffer charge

The Canadian Press
    April 13, 2017

A Nova Scotia woman acting as her own lawyer in a bid to overturn her conviction for murdering a young Inuit university student had a rough ride at the province's appeal court Wednesday.

Victoria Henneberry is asking for a new trial on grounds that she panicked when she pleaded guilty to the second-degree murder of Loretta Saunders of Labrador, her pregnant roommate in Halifax whose body was found on the side of a New Brunswick highway in February 2014.

But Henneberry started Wednesday by asking the Appeal Court of Nova Scotia for a delay, saying she was "not prepared mentally or emotionally." She said her mental health assessments had not been fully compiled, and she hadn't found a psychiatrist she's comfortable with.

Appeal of conviction in murder of Loretta Saunders begins today

Henneberry didn't bring any documents with her and only one piece of evidence, a written note by a psychiatrist she once saw recording Henneberry's past and present mental state.

But the Appeal Court insisted she go ahead.
    Judge outlines risks of new trial

Henneberry called three witnesses ? a psychiatrist, a police officer and the Crown lawyer who led the case against her ? and quizzed them about the effects of post-traumatic stress disorder, which she claims she suffered from when she pleaded guilty.

She told the court she wasn't looking for a new trial only a "change of charges," but Justice Duncan Beveridge told her that if she won her appeal, the court would likely have to order a new trial.

Miriam Saunders

Miriam Saunders was in Halifax to attend the appeal hearing of Victoria Henneberry, who pleaded guilty in 2015 to second-degree murder of Saunders's daughter, Loretta.

"You were facing a charge of first-degree murder and instead of standing trial on that charge, you pled guilty to second-degree murder [in 2015]," said Beveridge.

"If we were to strike your plea ... our only realistic option would be to send you back to trial for first-degree murder."

Co-accused could testify if new trial was ordered

This came as an apparent surprise to Henneberry, who asked that the courtroom be cleared, and then simply sat down when the judges said that wasn't possible.

Furthermore, Beveridge told Henneberry that Blake Leggette, who pleaded guilty to first-degree murder, could be called to take the stand against her if she had a retrial.

The case was adjourned to Thursday, when Henneberry will continue her arguments.
    Henneberry and Leggette, her boyfriend, pleaded guilty as their murder trial was starting on April 22, 2015.

Henneberry was sentenced to life in prison with no eligibility for parole for 10 years, while Leggette was given a mandatory life sentence with no parole eligibility for 25 years.
    'They take my good memories'

Saunders's family came to court from Labrador for Wednesday's hearing.

"The reason we came was to make sure that everyone didn't put their eyes on her and pity her," Miriam Saunders, Loretta's mother, told reporters at the end of the day.

She said it was difficult to sit through the hearing because old wounds were being opened up.

"I was able to do some good memories of her before but it seems like they take my good memories and give me ugly, hard, painful ones," said Saunders.
    [/QUOTE]

What a giant pile of self-absorbed shite.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/n...peal-1.4069185

Woman who murdered Loretta Saunders loses appeal

Victoria Henneberry asked province's highest court to overturn second-degree murder conviction

The appeal of Victoria Henneberry, left, was dismissed by Nova Scotia's highest court Thursday. Henneberry pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in the death of Labrador's Loretta Saunders, right, back in 2014. (Nova Scotia Court of Appeal/GoFundMe)

There were whoops of joy, applause and profane threats moments after the Nova Scotia Court of Appeal rejected a bid by Victoria Henneberry to withdraw her guilty plea on a charge of second-degree murder.

Henneberry was convicted in the February 2014 murder of Loretta Saunders, a 26-year-old Inuk woman from Labrador.

Henneberry and her boyfriend killed Saunders in the Halifax apartment she was subletting to them. They killed her rather than pay her the $430 they owed for rent.

Members of the Saunders family and their supporters packed the courtroom for the two-day appeal hearing. They were the ones who shattered the normally quiet reserve of the province's highest court, voicing their relief at the decision and their disdain for Henneberry. They shouted threats at her as sheriff's deputies hustled her from the courtroom.

The three-member appeal panel deliberated for only a few minutes before deciding unanimously to dismiss her appeal. They promised reasons for their decision would come later.

'I became someone else'

Henneberry argued she wasn't in her right mind when she pleaded guilty to murder and she should be allowed to withdraw that plea. In her supporting documents, Henneberry suggested the court should substitute a conviction on the much lesser charge of being an accessory to murder after the fact. But the court told her that if her appeal was successful, she would instead likely face a new trial on the original charge of first degree murder.

In her closing arguments, Henneberry talked of her state of mind at the time of the murder. She described the 14 months she spent in jail awaiting trial as traumatic.
    "I was harassed, bullied, threatened, hypervigilant. I could never relax. I was always in a state of distress that affected my very persona," Henneberry said.

"I had trouble sleeping, focusing, I completely shut down. It was as though I became someone else."

She complained she felt like she was in a dream-like state in the courtroom because she hadn't received her medications. However, the crown questioned whether there was a diagnosis of post-traumatic stress disorder, as Henneberry claimed. She had been repeatedly assessed and the only evidence she produced to support her position was a handwritten note from a psychiatrist who had done a preliminary interview with her.

Saunders' family relieved

Loretta's mother Miriam Saunders expressed relief outside the courtroom moments after the decision was announced.

"I've been praying on it and I was ready to accept what they had done because I left it to the Lord and my daughter's soul," Miriam Saunders said.

She said now that the appeal is over, she is going to devote her time and energy to the cause of missing and murdered indigenous women.

The CBC's Blair Rhodes liveblogged from the hearing.

On top of everything else this bitch has tried to falely claim she's Cherokee. Word on twitter is she's repeatedly tried to access Indigenous services & cultural events on the basis of that lie. She's absolutely fucking remorseless

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...922790?cmp=rss

Woman convicted in killing of Loretta Saunders denied day parole

Victoria Lea Henneberry pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in 2014 killing
    Blair Rhodes - CBC News

Posted: February 22, 2021

Victoria Henneberry is escorted into Halifax provincial court in this file photo. (Mike Dembeck/The Canadian Press)

Seven years after she murdered Loretta Saunders, Victoria Lea Henneberry has been denied day parole.

Henneberry pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in the February 2014 killing of Saunders, a 26-year-old Inuk woman from Labrador who was living in Halifax at the time of her death.

Henneberry's then-boyfriend, Blake Leggette, pleaded guilty to first-degree murder in Saunders's death and must serve a minimum of 25 years before he can begin applying for parole. The judge set Henneberry's parole ineligibility at 10 years.

In an agreed statement of facts that accompanied their guilty pleas, court was told how Leggette and Henneberry murdered Saunders, rather than pay her the rent they owed for subletting her Halifax apartment.

Leggette and Henneberry then placed her body in a hockey bag and drove her car to Ontario, pausing in New Brunswick to leave her remains in a wooded area at the side of the road.

Tracked by cellphone

Police were able to track the pair to Ontario because they continued to use Saunders's cellphone and car.

Henneberry's time in custody has been marked by some controversy. She represented herself before the Nova Scotia Court of Appeal, trying to withdraw her guilty plea. She failed.

In 2020, Henneberry was granted temporary absences to attend the Healing of Seven Generations, a support program for Indigenous people.

But, as the parole board noted: "The victim's family contacted Healing of Seven Generations who decided that due to the severity of your crime against the victim, an Inuk woman, you would be banned from accessing their services for the duration of your sentence."

Claim challenged

Henneberry told the board that her grandmother was an American Cherokee, but her claim has been questioned.

"You have no knowledge of where they resided or if any of your family members had any experience with the residential school system, the Sixties Scoop or a history of self harm or suicide," the board noted following its Feb. 16 hearing.

"While there is file information that challenges the accuracy of your heritage, it appears to the Board that you have made a connection and derived benefit from your involvement in cultural and spiritual events and ceremonies."

In Loretta Saunders murder, family says police at first thought she was white, MMIWG inquiry hears

Woman who killed Loretta Saunders granted 8 escorted absences from prison

Henneberry has been granted temporary passes from prison, but she has been unable to take advantage because of COVID-19.

The board also noted that Henneberry has tried to diminish her role in the killing in the past.

"You stated that you now accept full responsibility and acknowledge that you played a significant role in the victim's murder. You agreed that you taunted your co-accused, and your challenge to his masculinity was very much a contributing factor to his actions."

Remorse in question

The board said Henneberry expressed remorse numerous times during the hearing but showed no emotion in doing so. The board said that made it difficult to determine whether the remorse was sincere or self-serving.

Henneberry started serving her life sentence at the Nova Institute for Women in Truro, N.S.

But a verbal dispute with another inmate got her transferred to another prison in Ontario and classified as high security. She has since managed to work her security classification down to minimum.

"It is the Board's opinion that you will present an undue risk to society if released. Further, your release will not contribute to the protection of society by facilitating your reintegration into society as a law-abiding citizen."

Jfc this poor family, Loretta & Diem were siblings & they were both MMIWG advocates

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/local/atlant...1_5578696.html

RCMP investigate death of Diem Saunders, N.L. advocate for Indigenous women
    Published Sept. 9, 2021 11:28 a.m. ET
    Updated Sept. 9, 2021 5:40 p.m. ET

Delilah Saunders, sister of the late Loretta Saunders, is seen at the National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls, in Membertou, N.S., on Monday, Oct. 30, 2017. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Andrew Vaughan
    ST. JOHN'S, N.L. -- The death Tuesday of Diem Saunders, a prominent Inuk advocate for Indigenous women and rights, has left many in Atlantic Canada shocked and devastated.

Diem Saunders, formerly Delilah Saunders, was the sibling of Loretta Saunders, an Inuk woman from Labrador who was murdered in Halifax in 2014. Marie Sack first met Saunders at the 2017 community hearings for the National Inquiry Into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls in Membertou, Nova Scotia, where Saunders spoke openly and passionately about their murdered sibling and the need for action.

"She was strong, and a strong voice," Sack, who works with the Nova Scotia Native Women's Association, said in an interview Thursday. "It's such a tragedy for such a young woman that was so outspoken for justice for missing and murdered Indigenous women. She leaves a legacy of being a strong voice for justice."

Sack said the women at her organization, and the community at large, are devastated and shocked by Saunders' death.

"We are certainly feeling the loss," Sack said, adding that Saunders was kind, empathetic and bright. "She was giving. In any way that she could help, she was always there."

On Wednesday, the RCMP said in a news release they were investigating the sudden death of a 29-year-old woman found in a home in the central Labrador town of Happy Valley-Goose Bay. The force's major crimes unit and the office of the chief medical examiner were helping with the investigation, police said.

Miriam Saunders, Diem's mother, confirmed Thursday the RCMP news release was about Diem. She said Diem had been living in Halifax but wanted to be back on the land, and had recently moved home to Labrador.

"She wanted to help people," Miriam Saunders said.

A post from July on a Facebook page belonging to Diem Saunders announced the name change from Delilah to Diem. "I am non-binary and always have been," the post said. "I embrace all of me and don't have a dead name, so address me by Delilah and I won't be upset. Ultimately, I do wish for you to respect my name, Diem."

Many women in Newfoundland and Labrador expressed their shock and grief over Diem's death on social media Thursday. Toronto-based advocate for gender justice and equity Farrah Khan also tweeted about the loss. "Rest in power Diem Saunders," Khan wrote.

In 2018, Diem Saunders' struggles with liver failure put a spotlight on an Ontario health policy requiring people to be sober for six months before they could be eligible for a liver transplant. Saunders had been denied a spot on a waiting list for a transplant, prompting support -- and outrage about the policy -- to pour in from across the country.

Amnesty International even issued a statement in support of Saunders' inclusion on the waiting list and praised Saunders' work advocating for the human rights of Indigenous women.

Saunders was also part of the fight against the Muskrat Falls hydroelectric project in Labrador and took part in hunger strikes against the massive dam and generating station. Flooding of the Muskrat Falls reservoir threatens to raise methylmercury levels in important Indigenous fishing and hunting areas.

In an email Thursday, RCMP Cpl. Jolene Garland said the investigation into the death is ongoing.

How sad, I wonder what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Thread Information