Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Amanda Baker (24) strangled to death by a fifteen year old inmate

COs at the jail my friend works at refer to all prisoners as 'bodies' and consider them to be wastes of life even if they're only there for shoplifting. No one 'underestimates' prisoners. No one is working as a guard because they want to make a difference and hug everyone like a kitten. It's for people training to be sheriffs and people who didn't qualify to be cops.

my ex was a co and would beat the shit out of the juvenile inmates for fun

he's an ex for a reason. BUT he's the only one that i knew of that was like that. can't let a few bad apples ruin things for all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by becoming View Post

By they way, that article/obituary annoys me. I hope when I die, my family doesn't write some crazy, long shit making me sound like an actual angel sent from Heaven who would have saved the whole world if I had lived longer. Because you know people who know her are like, ".... She really wasn't that great."

But I digress.
    It is kinda creepy & over the top but it's not a regular obit, it's from the True Blue Warrior FB page. Pretty standard rhetoric considering the source:
    Born with a soul that has courage to wear the badge, CO Baker had been Saving, Serving, and Protecting behind the walls standing as our last line of defense since 30 June 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    No one is working as a guard because they want to make a difference and hug everyone like a kitten. It's for people training to be sheriffs and people who didn't qualify to be cops.
    Okay, this place is in Gering/Scotts Bluff, Nebraska, pop. 23,000. It's in the far western part of Nebraska right next to Wyoming. Besides Gering/SB the nearest cities are Cheyenne, WY (100 mi.) and Fort Collins CO (140 mi.) That's it. It's the middle of nowhere. I doubt there are many employment opportunities outside of WalMart. So MAYBE a job as a CO working for the state sounded like a pretty good deal for a single mom. They probably offer decent benefits too. MAYBE not all CO's are scum. Some of them MIGHT be just looking to make a living and support their families.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    My friend was a CO. Sweetest, most caring and sensitive guy I knew. He stopped being one. He never said why, but perhaps didn't like what others were up to and bowed out gracefully. Point is, not all COs are scum. And he did it to support his Family. This was in AZ. He started truck driving after that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    My friend was a CO. Sweetest, most caring and sensitive guy I knew. He stopped being one. He never said why, but perhaps didn't like what others were up to and bowed out gracefully. Point is, not all COs are scum. And he did it to support his Family. This was in AZ. He started truck driving after that.
    That's why I said there are exceptions but over all...not a great group of upstanding individuals.

Scotts Bluff County Attorney Doug Warner said Thursday in a news release that 16-year-old Guy Eagle Elk, of Lisco, has been charged as an adult with felony aiding and abetting assault. On Wednesday, 15-year-old Dylan Cardeilhac, of Torrington, Wyo., was charged as an adult with first-degree murder in the death of Amanda Baker.

The two teens were being held in a juvenile section of the Scotts Bluff County Detention Center in Gering, just east of the Wyoming border, when Baker was attacked. Cardeilhac was being held on charges of armed robbery and use of a weapon in a Dec. 3 convenience store robbery in nearby Mitchell. He also was charged as an adult in that case, according to online court documents. Eagle Elk had been convicted as a juvenile of shoplifting, according to the Scottsbluff Star-Herald.

Jail security video shows Cardeilhac talking Baker into checking something on his cell floor on Friday, then pouncing on the guard when she turned her back, according to an arrest affidavit. Authorities have said the video shows that Baker was strangled for more than 2 1/2 minutes.

Baker, the mother of a 6-year-old boy, was taken to a local hospital, where she later died.

An arrest affidavit for Eagle Elk says investigators believe he advised Cardeilhac to choke a jailer into submission after Cardeilhac told other inmates that he wanted to escape. The affidavit says Eagle Elk suggested Cardeilhac attack Baker, because she would be an easier target. The older teen then showed Cardeilhac through windows of door cells the best way to apply a choke hold, the affidavit says.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4826914.html

COs at the jail my friend works at refer to all prisoners as 'bodies' and consider them to be wastes of life even if they're only there for shoplifting. No one 'underestimates' prisoners. No one is working as a guard because they want to make a difference and hug everyone like a kitten. It's for people training to be sheriffs and people who didn't qualify to be cops.
    I'm literally laughing out loud. I can't lump every single person together because of what kind of job they do. Maybe it's because my friends who are COs are some of the most caring people I know. One of whom has been a CO since he was 18 or so. He doesn't want to be a cop. He's a small town country kid with a heart of gold. That's like how most of the cops here are scum. It's a well known fact but I know there are some out there who are great.

Quote Originally Posted by *crickets* View Post
    It is kinda creepy & over the top but it's not a regular obit, it's from the True Blue Warrior FB page. Pretty standard rhetoric considering the source:

Okay, this place is in Gering/Scotts Bluff, Nebraska, pop. 23,000. It's in the far western part of Nebraska right next to Wyoming. Besides Gering/SB the nearest cities are Cheyenne, WY (100 mi.) and Fort Collins CO (140 mi.) That's it. It's the middle of nowhere. I doubt there are many employment opportunities outside of WalMart. So MAYBE a job as a CO working for the state sounded like a pretty good deal for a single mom. They probably offer decent benefits too. MAYBE not all CO's are scum. Some of them MIGHT be just looking to make a living and support their families.
    And *crickets* wins the doing your homework portion of the thread. Both for the obit source and especially for the geography portion. Scotts Bluff has the regional min. security detention facility and a health clinic / hospital. That's it for decent paying jobs with benis. She was working as a jailer while going for her nursing degree. I think she probably was too nice rather than too hard ass. But that's got to be a tough line to walk.

http://www.scottsbluffcounty.org/doc...k-Juvenile.pdf
    Last edited by puzzld; 02-22-2014 at 07:31 AM.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

The problem with all generalizations - they dont apply to all.

I think thats a really good point about the local opportunites being a factor. In NY , would she have been a waitress or a stripper? Single mom looking to put herself through school - that does not speak to corruption.
    I amend my point about the violent offenses from earlier - armed robbery is a world away from the other kid's shoplifting offense. Since they talk about treatment , maybe he was diagnosed with some psychiatric issue? Or they were funneling him through the juvie system , which tries to give kids every opportunity ( theoretically) to turn it around
    You're entitled to your own opinions. You're not entitled to your own facts.- D. Moynihan
    Quote Originally Posted by aquatwins View Post
    I WILL STICK MY DICK IN YOUR HEAD

Quote Originally Posted by Monter View Post
    I amend my point about the violent offenses from earlier - armed robbery is a world away from the other kid's shoplifting offense. Since they talk about treatment , maybe he was diagnosed with some psychiatric issue? Or they were funneling him through the juvie system , which tries to give kids every opportunity ( theoretically) to turn it around
    Yes he was in the juvie system.

All the juveniles at this facility are required to attend classes, have counseling etc...
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

A Torrington teen facing charges of first-degree murder and first-degree assault in connection with the strangulation death of 24-year-old Scotts Bluff County Corrections Officer Amanda Baker planned out his attack in an effort to escape from the facility, according to an affidavit filed Wednesday.

The document alleges 15-year-old Dylan Cardeilhac told several juveniles of his desire to escape, including 16-year-old Guy Eagle Elk. Eagle Elk, of Lisco, Neb., was charged with aiding and abetting first-degree assault Wednesday.
    http://www.torringtontelegram.com/v2...story_id=13962

About the crime he was convicted of:
    A 15-year-old Torrington teen is arrested in connection to an armed robbery that took place in Mitchell last week.

The Kwik Stop was robbed by two masked individuals on December 3rd 2013 at approximately 1:35 a.m. One was carrying a shotgun, and the other had a plastic bag to collect all the money from the cash register.

It was estimated that robbers got away with about $70.

Court documents say that Dylan Cardeilhac had Facebook messaged a classmate at Torrington High School. In those messages it says that Cardeilhac wrote "it was estimated 70$ tookin but we go 150$" "and blunt wraps lol".

It also says that some messages were sent before the robbery and says "im doin an armed robbery tonight in bluffs at a liqur store since they got the most money".

School Resource Officer Diane Servantez has been investigating Cardeilhac for stealing three shotguns and two handguns from his father.

She contacted Mitchell Police Chief Mike Cotant, and Cardeilhac was taken into custody.

He is expected to be charged with robbery and use of a firearm to commit a felony.

At this time it is unknown who the other individual involved with the robbery is.
    http://www.kotanow.com/story/2417229...it-on-facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    That's why.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

At 24, working in Juvenile Detention, I thought she'd be more na?ve than a hardened CO.

The teen that killed her didn't seem to know what to do after she was dead and he got the keys from her.
    After the attack, the investigator said, Cardeilhac took the keys off Baker's belt and left his cell, opening and entering cells that housed other juvenile offenders. He eventually was found hiding in another cell and placed in isolation.
    I think he's a psych case.

naive

I did a few years back in the day.... some CO's are real assholes and on a power trip, to others it's just a job, and a few try to give you some sort of respect.

However, a lot of inmates in prison are assholes also, and will see a gesture of kindness as weakness, and try to leverage that to their advantage.
    I believe a good CO would have to balance the equation, and can see where you may have to dehumanize the inmates to at least a degree, to be able to objectively, and effectively do their job. If I had to hang out with 20 random prison guards, or 20 random incarcerated felons for an evening...... as unappealing as both sound..... I'd have to pick the guards.

My honest guess is that , given the fact she was so young, and had been in no trouble, (background check for law enforcement), she was probably a decent person. I think they picked on her because she was a girl, and the easiest target.... I don't think any personality issues were involved.

Wonder if he actually meant to kill her. Maybe he was just to stupid to realise how dangerous it is to try & cause unconciousness that way.

So fucking pointless. Sounds like he didn't even make it out of his wing

Thread Information