Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kelly Krapfl (35) committed suicide by jumping from the Sunshine Skyway Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by skywaybridgedotcom View Post
    i created and run the skywaybridge.com website. while it started in 1998, the understanding of those that jump from the bridge are as much a mystery now as it was then.
    I've been following your site since the mid-2000s. Thanks for keeping it going!

A few scattered thoughts:

One would have to think that PPD played a role in this. It seemed like she had a difficult pregnancy, when you scroll back.

She also had those posts in September about needing help, and it seemed like 6-7 people reached out to her.

It's odd that there are no RIP comments on the facebook page.

There is no news coverage on this at all.

People clam up when there's a suicide. It's like The Thing That Must Never Be Mentioned. I do not understand this at all. It should be talked about when it happens, to increase awareness and maybe prevent the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by *crickets* View Post
    People clam up when there's a suicide. It's like The Thing That Must Never Be Mentioned. I do not understand this at all. It should be talked about when it happens, to increase awareness and maybe prevent the next one.
    I think it's because Christianity and the countries it spread to took on the notion that suicide was selfish and/or very bad. It's not, not always. Sometimes it's rational or philosophical - the ancient Greeks made suicide a heroic thing, they used to have houses you could go to to get poison. Christianity dumbed it all down, and made a person's body property of God.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    Dang, that's a long ass bridge. Never seen one that long. Been on the Golden Gate a few times, not sure how long that one is, but definitely can't be anywhere near the size of this bridge.

And ugh, she jumped at 3 in the morning? Must have been a dark and lonely drive at that time. Can't imagine many people driving at that time of night. I hate going over bridges. Jumping off anything scares the crap out of me, and I am terrified of being in the middle of nothing but water (why I would never go on a cruise) so jumping via bridge into water is the last thing I would ever do. Ever.
    At night the Skyway is lit up by flood lights and it's actually a very attractive sight. Maybe that's part of the allure. Three AM is also a sweet time to be out there, since there is almost no traffic at that hour, it's very peaceful. If you have a good buzz it's awesome to do a night crossing in a car with a sun roof or convertible top. The view up the flood-lit cables toward the towers is wild. Obviously a designated driver is required for this trip.

It's also illegal to "attempt" suicide. A buddy of mine jumped from a bridge close to this height 10yrs ago. He survived. Said he blacked out, but woke up floating on top of the water next to his shoe. Then he swam straight into the arms of the police.

Quote Originally Posted by heartbleed View Post
    It's also illegal to "attempt" suicide. A buddy of mine jumped from a bridge close to this height 10yrs ago. He survived. Said he blacked out, but woke up floating on top of the water next to his shoe. Then he swam straight into the arms of the police.
    On one of the anniversaries of my mom's death, my dad was intoxicated and called the cops for help because he had a gun in his hand and wanted to kill himself. Right before they arrived at the house, he already tried. He ended up missing and the bullet went through the wall. He was arrested on the spot. I'm not sure what they do otherwise? If they just left, he wouldn't be here today. He would have tried again. But it sucks. A depressed suicidal person trying to get help and they end up more depressed due to debt from lawyers, court fees, and fines.

This is my first post in a LONG time!

how tormented she must have felt. RIP

Kelly reached out for help. Nobody took her PPD seriously. They kept telling her to pray and everything would be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by andrea0121 View Post
    Whoa, that's heavy. I've lost everything financially and my home but I was a single person in my mid-20s. Can't fathom being responsible for more than just myself and having that happen ON TOP of mental health issues.

RIP Kelly
    It def sucks to have all your money stolen that shit happened to me too. Im still not over it and Im still angry after all these years. I kept thinking how am I going to support my family, it was depressing but I never thought about killing myself. But one man from my job lost his money too.....he jumped out the 9th floor window. Having her money stolen could have played a part in her choice to jump.

Quote Originally Posted by Justamom333 View Post
    Kelly reached out for help. Nobody took her PPD seriously. They kept telling her to pray and everything would be ok.
    Thank you for this. And I cannot agree enough with the above comments regarding suicide and sweeping it under the rug - it's not okay, or fair.

I hope you are okay Justamom
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    gangsta rap does not help the youth
    Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    DONT MAKE ME FUCK YOUR BITCH THAT PUSSY POPPIN

Ugh. One of my biggest problems with Christians. I don't believe Jesus was some wizard that came down from the clouds, but he sure as hell a better person than these pricks. There is no way he would have said "I'll pray for you", an then jumped back on his donkey and rode off into the night.

Most awesome Member emmy_dreamy's Avatar
    I know that there are a few religions where medical intervention is against their faith. They are supposed to pray and if it's God's Will he will heal you. I don't believe in that at all , why can't it be God's will that you get help with an issue. Maybe he's the one that leads you to the doctors. I just can't fathom a God that would sit back and let people die if modern medicine can help them. I'm sorry for your loss. Suicide and depression should not be private issues at this point.
    Last edited by emmy_dreamy; 06-19-2017 at 10:24 AM.
    http://mydeathspace.com/vb/signaturepics/sigpic8247_1.gif

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    I can't imagine your loss. Especially knowing she reached out. I'm so very sorry.
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by daisylane View Post
    Thank you for this. And I cannot agree enough with the above comments regarding suicide and sweeping it under the rug - it's not okay, or fair.

I hope you are okay Justamom
    Thank you so much for asking. Kelly was a beautiful soul. I taught two of her kids. I watched her last two pregnancies and she was so stretched between work and juggling her babies. I was broken for a long time over this because I never personally asked her if she was ok. She had serious PPD. I saw it. I reached out to her two days before. I got sick and was in the hospital when that night happened. I was devastated and couldn't stop thinking of her, her hubby and babies.

Thank you so much for asking. Kelly was a beautiful soul. I taught two of her kids. I watched her last two pregnancies and she was so stretched between work and juggling her babies. I was broken for a long time over this because I never personally asked her if she was ok. She had serious PPD. I saw it. I reached out to her two days before. I got sick and was in the hospital when that night happened. I was devastated and couldn't stop thinking of her, her hubby and babies.
    That's so heartbreaking to hear. I can understand being haunted by this, but realize that none of it is your fault if you are feeling that way. YOU reached out to her when others didn't.

There is so much more that is needed to treat serious PPD or any type of depression. This is why we talk openly about it. It's a disease just like any other and all too often it ends up being fatal. It's not fair. The stigma has to end.

Be sure you take time for you in this. Don't torture yourself over it. You did your best.

Feel free to share as much as you want. This website might have a morbid name, but in reality most of us have experienced a lot of these same things and can be good therapy. She seemed really sweet and only trying to be everything at once and not feeling like she was good enough. Juggling career and children is no easy task.

If her PPD was visible to you, her husband surely knew about it correct? Did he try to get her help? I'm not blaming him, I'm just wondering.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Ow, please don't ever think you being in hospital changed a thing, you reaching out was a beautiful thing to do. Sometimes, it's hard to see the end goal when you're amongst it all, it sounds like she was truly stretched very thin, and had a lot of expectation on her - Please take care of you

It was a rough time for sure. I will tread extremely lightly here and say that yes, her husband was very aware. Most of his family were the ones pushing prayer and church. He has his demons and I would never want to be in his shoes. He is a wonderful dad and I feel that at the time couldn't see past his own overwhelming role to see how bad Kelly was hurting. Really hurting not just "baby blues"

What lead me to this forum today is the news that my husband's classmate jumped to his death yesterday from this bridge. 7/10/2017 He was also facing demons and hurting due to a recent major charge related to alcohol. His friends are hurting today. Another life lost. RIP

What lead me to this forum today is the news that my husband's classmate jumped to his death yesterday from this bridge. 7/10/2017 He was also facing demons and hurting due to a recent major charge related to alcohol. His friends are hurting today. Another life lost. RIP
    https://www.facebook.com/ryan.mogensen.5

You can see all his posts here - http://www.skywaybridge.com/2017.htm
    Last edited by Olivia; 07-10-2017 at 03:38 PM.

I'm so sorry to hear this. So very sad. Try to keep your chin up. You seem like a very loving and caring person.

Oh. I'm so sorry. You guys are having a rough time - please make sure that you and your husband are taking care of each other

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    So I read through the suicide note that was posted on the skywaybridge forum. Was he hallucinating/having delusions, or did someone really assault him? I'm confused.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    So I read through the suicide note that was posted on the skywaybridge forum. Was he hallucinating/having delusions, or did someone really assault him? I'm confused.
    I read them too and from what I gather he was involved in a hit and run which killed a motorcyclist. My guess is he ran because he was drinking

Judging from the comments on the news article that shows his picture and lists his name, the guy he killed had LOTS of friends and many of them Harley folks. I'm not sure if its gang affiliated bikers, but not a stretch.....

I'm pretty sure he and his family were being harassed by people angry that he left the scene and left the guy to die. I don't think he was hallucinating anything at all. I see it happening very easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I read them too and from what I gather he was involved in a hit and run which killed a motorcyclist. My guess is he ran because he was drinking

Judging from the comments on the news article that shows his picture and lists his name, the guy he killed had LOTS of friends and many of them Harley folks. I'm not sure if its gang affiliated bikers, but not a stretch.....

I'm pretty sure he and his family were being harassed by people angry that he left the scene and left the guy to die. I don't think he was hallucinating anything at all. I see it happening very easily.
    Did you see the part where he said people came into his apartment/house, held him down and assaulted his anus? He kept talking about hearing a knock right before, and no one being there. Just the way he wrote about it made me wonder if it was a hallucination or it happened. I could totally see it happening too, based on the circumstances, but he seemed like he was also delusional, so I wasn't sure.

Thread Information