Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 5-day-old Kayden Powell missing from his Wisconsin home since 2-6-14

A woman who pretended to be pregnant stole her half-sister's newborn boy from a Wisconsin home and left him in a storage crate outside an Iowa gas station in frigid temperatures as police closed in, according to court documents filed Friday.

Federal prosecutors in Madison charged Kristen Smith of Denver with kidnapping Friday afternoon, hours after an Iowa police chief miraculously discovered Kayden Powell, who is nearly a week old, alive and well in the plastic storage crate that morning. Police found a prosthetic pregnancy belly in Smith's car along with baby clothes, a car seat and a stroller, but no sign of Kayden, according to the affidavit.

The discovery of the infant shortly after 10 a.m. Friday capped a frantic search that involved scores of police officers in Wisconsin, Illinois and Iowa.

"He's strong," the newborn's great-uncle, Mark Bennett, said of the boy. "I'm glad that baby is still living instead of in a ditch somewhere on a strange highway."

Online court records didn't list Smith's case or a defense attorney Friday evening. She faces life in prison if convicted.

According to police and the affidavit, the boy's mother, Brianna Marshall, called police around 4:30 a.m. Thursday to report her newborn had vanished from his bassinet in Bennett's home, where she and the baby's father, Bruce Powell, had been staying.

She said Smith had been at the house but left a couple hours earlier to return to Colorado. While police were at the house, Smith called on her cellphone. She told police that Marshall and Bruce Powell were planning to move to Denver on Saturday to live with her and she had Kayden's clothes in the car but didn't have the boy with her.

Police told her to pull over for questioning. An officer met her at a Kum & Go gas station near Interstate 80 in West Branch, Iowa. She was arrested about 5:30 a.m. on an outstanding Texas warrant.

The affidavit said Smith denied any knowledge of Kayden's whereabouts. A search of her cellphone revealed emails in which she said she gave birth on Feb. 5, according to the document. A search of her Facebook page turned up postings in which she claimed she was pregnant.

Smith didn't appear pregnant, according to the affidavit. A pregnancy test administered while she was in custody came back negative, U.S. Attorney John Vaudreuil said. Smith also failed a lie-detector test regarding Kayden's location, eventually saying that the infant's parents had given the infant to another family member in Chicago, the prosecutor said.

Meanwhile, dozens of police officers began searching for the child at possible stop-offs along Smith's route from Wisconsin to Iowa. West Branch Police Chief Mike Horihan decided to check the area around a BP station about 500 yards from the Kum & Go station where Smith was arrested. He heard a baby's cries and discovered Kayden in a closed storage crate alongside the building. The newborn was swaddled in blankets and was responsive and healthy, the chief said.

"I had tears in my eyes," BP station manager Jay Patel said, recalling his reaction to the police chief telling him that the infant had been found. "It's good news but it's sad, too."

Temperatures in West Branch, about 180 miles southwest of the Town of Beloit, dipped below zero Thursday night into Friday. They were still in the single digits when the baby was found.

"Surprisingly with the weather the way it was, he was surprisingly healthy," Horihan, the Iowa police chief, said. "To be honest with you, that's not what I expected."

The baby was transported to an Iowa City hospital, where he was reunited with his parents and released Friday evening.

Police interviewed Smith again in jail after the baby was found at the gas station, the affidavit said. She told officers she took the boy from her sister's home and put him behind the BP station. She offered a hand-drawn map of where the baby was found, the affidavit said.

Bennett, the baby's great-uncle, told The Associated Press he came home on Thursday night to find a black SUV with Illinois license plates parked in front of his house. Inside he found his mother, the baby's mother and father, and a woman he had never met. His mother introduced her as Brianna Marshall's stepsister, he said, explaining later that the two women had the same father but different mothers.

He said he never learned Smith's name and went straight to his room in the basement. When he woke up, the baby and Smith were gone.

He kept telling Marshall that Smith had to have taken the child but Marshall refused to believe it, he said. The baby's bassinet was 2 feet from the parents' bed and he found a paring knife on the ground next to the bed.

"I could have woke up to a bloody mess," Bennett said.

He questioned how Smith could have taken the baby without waking the couple. He said he hopes she gets locked up for life.

"You stole him like you're stealing something from the grocery store," the great-uncle said. "Nobody in their right mind should have thought of that."

Smith appears to go by multiple names and has had run-ins with the law in multiple states, authorities said. The Texas warrant stems from a felony indictment charging her with tampering with government documents late last year while she was in jail in Colorado.

A spokesman for the Arapahoe County, Colo., sheriff's office declined to discuss the details of her arrest there. A spokeswoman for the district attorney's office in Tarrant County, Texas, said it's not clear why Colorado authorities released Smith instead of sending her back to Texas.
    http://www.startribune.com/nation/24...tml?page=2&c=y
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    Forgot to add, maybe she planned on taking the baby but when the cops called her, she panicked and left him before the cops could catch up to her?
    I think this is the most likely scenario. Obviously she didnt care that much about the child if she left him outside in the cold.

I'm very very happy that the child was found alive though

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    A prosthetic pregnancy belly. Hello.
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    A prosthetic pregnancy belly. Hello.
    Good thing she only faked being prego, she would have made a shitty mom

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    She's married with 4 kids. She had a miscarriage and was afraid to tell her husband. Her family is shocked. Her and Brianna are half sisters. I'm happy Kayden was found safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Good thing she only faked being prego, she would have made a shitty mom
    No kidding. Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Queena View Post
    She's married with 4 kids. She had a miscarriage and was afraid to tell her husband. Her family is shocked. Her and Brianna are half sisters. I'm happy Kayden was found safe.
    Then I feel for her kids. She's clearly not well. If she did this, no telling how the other 4 have been raised.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    Then I feel for her kids. She's clearly not well. If she did this, no telling how the other 4 have been raised.
    I wish I could find out more about her background, but no one's talking. The husband is baffled.

I wish I could find out more about her background, but no one's talking. The husband is baffled.
    Now I feel bad about my earlier statement. If she was legit pregnant she could have had post partum depression. She could have also had a legit baby bump.

"Police found a prosthetic pregnancy belly in Smith's car..." (from puzzld's post above)

Ugh! Clearly Kristen Smith isn't the brightest bulb. She really thought no one would notice her new baby looks exactly like her half sister's missing baby? Thank god the baby is healthy and safe!

Where they don't have maps.......such as..
    Quote Originally Posted by TessD View Post
    "Police found a prosthetic pregnancy belly in Smith's car..." (from puzzld's post above)

Ugh! Clearly Kristen Smith isn't the brightest bulb. She really thought no one would notice her new baby looks exactly like her half sister's missing baby? Thank god the baby is healthy and safe!
    Yeah someone didn't think this thru real well
    Quote Originally Posted by blighted star
    I was about to be annoyed that this thread was still active, but I see now it's morphed into offers of sex for chilli confectionary, so carry on guys :)

How shocking that a person suffering a psychotic break didn't better think out her crazy person plan.

It sounds like she probably had some serious post partum. I feel bad for women who experience that, it honestly transforms them into completely different people who will do all sorts of things they normally wouldn't. They need help, not ridicule.

The criminal complaint lists Smith as a resident of Denver, Colo. A search led us to a family in the nearby suburb of Arvada. They say their daughter, Kristen, has been the victim of identity theft for three years. They believe the woman charged with kidnapping may be using their daughter's identity.

The Milwaukee office of the Federal Bureau of Investigations is ha
    http://www.wxow.com/story/24669141/2...apping-suspect

Ok ... after reading that article, I'm totally confused. And I read it three times. Somebody help me understand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

Where did you find this information about her being married with kids and had a miscarriage, Queena? I couldn't find it in any of the articles about this case. I must have missed it somehow. I tried to find a Kristen Smith of Denver on FaceBook, but couldn't find anyone that looks like the girl in the mugshot either.
    Quote Originally Posted by TupeloHoney View Post
    Ok ... after reading that article, I'm totally confused. And I read it three times. Somebody help me understand.
    It is a strange story so far. It sounds like no one in Brianna Marshall's family had ever heard of this half sister until after the baby was kidnapped. Did she just recently come into Brianna's life?

Quote Originally Posted by TupeloHoney View Post
    They are saying the kidnapper isn't really Kristen Smith, but rather has stolen Kristen's identity.

It also seems likely that "Kristen" isn't really related to the baby's mother either, no one knew her before she showed up claiming to be a family member...
    Bennett, the baby's great-uncle, told The Associated Press he came home on Thursday night to find a black SUV with Illinois license plates parked in front of his house. Inside he found his mother, the baby's mother and father, and a woman he had never met. His mother introduced her as Brianna Marshall's stepsister, he said, explaining later that the two women had the same father but different mothers.

Smith appears to go by multiple names and has had run-ins with the law in multiple states, authorities said. The Texas warrant stems from a felony indictment charging her with tampering with government documents late last year while she was in jail in Colorado.
    http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...urt-papers-say
    Last edited by puzzld; 02-08-2014 at 09:59 PM.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

I can't find her post, but her sister posted on this page. https://www.facebook.com/wisn12 Her name is G-Toe Jam Harper Williams.

She's a family member for sure. http://www.wrex.com/story/24672658/2...owells-parents

https://www.facebook.com/ms.pissypoo?fref=ts Kristen Smith is her real name. She may be using a different ssn. Her husband https://www.facebook.com/joseph.smith.5496683

She got married in July and was claiming to be pregnant...
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Kris Smithinbelle
    July 10, 2013

32 people like this.
    Rosemary AB Love it.many blessing
    July 10, 2013 at 11:51am
    Kris Smithinbelle Thank you
    July 10, 2013 at 12:03pm
    Rigo Ol Vera Awesome, congrats!!!
    July 10, 2013 at 12:45pm
    Kris Smithinbelle Thank you soon to be papa
    July 10, 2013 at 12:51pm
    Doll Flores Aww beautiful.
    July 10, 2013 at 3:07pm
    Sasha TheSuperstar Fab!
    July 10, 2013 at 5:01pm

Thank you! Well I have four kids and I'm in the army you do what's best in the long run. But bootcamp is 8 weeks then you go to your job school which is another 4-5 do you will be gone for like 3 months
    December 3, 2012 at 5:11pm
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

I think she was congratulating the guy above on becoming a new Papa. Her husband didn't even comment on the picture. I'm sure they were married well before 2013, they have pictures that go back further than that. She did play like she was pregnant. They found a prosthetic belly.

I think she was congratulating the guy above on becoming a new Papa. Her husband didn't even comment on the picture. I'm sure they were married well before 2013, they have pictures that go back further than that. She did play like she was pregnant. They found a prosthetic belly.
    Why r u raining on my parade?

Thanks for posting the links Queena and puzzld!

Quote Originally Posted by TessD View Post
    Where did you find this information about her being married with kids and had a miscarriage, Queena? I couldn't find it in any of the articles about this case. I must have missed it somehow. I tried to find a Kristen Smith of Denver on FaceBook, but couldn't find anyone that looks like the girl in the mugshot either.

It is a strange story so far. It sounds like no one in Brianna Marshall's family had ever heard of this half sister until after the baby was kidnapped. Did she just recently come into Brianna's life?
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    They are saying the kidnapper isn't really Kristen Smith, but rather has stolen Kristen's identity.

It also seems likely that "Kristen" isn't really related to the baby's mother either, no one knew her before she showed up claiming to be a family member...

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...urt-papers-say

Yeah I was confused as to whether a total stranger (the kidnapper) just showed up at the victim's door pretending to be her long-lost sister or something. But, according to the interview with the baby's parents, the kidnapper and the baby's mom are related. Weird.

Just look at this precious baby

Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

He is precious. I'm glad it ended well.

Thread Information