Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 5-day-old Kayden Powell missing from his Wisconsin home since 2-6-14

He's pretty stinkin cute.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

I am incredibly confused. But that baby is a DOLL!!!

This is a fucking Lifetime Original Movie in waiting.

That baby is adorable. I probably would have taken him too, but never would have left the infant outside in sub zero weather, or any weather.

What a crazy ass bitch!

Fibro Fog has taken over. I am in a constant state of dyscognition so please excuse my retardation.
    'The worst things in the world are justified by belief'- Raised by Wolves SOI

"Your life is short, it's the longest thing you'll ever do/ the worse the curse was that your dreams came true/
    God is a mirror in which each man sees himself/ Hell is place where you don't need anyone's help"

~You got to cry with out weeping. Talk without speaking
    Scream without raising your voice~

Quote Originally Posted by u2addict View Post
    That baby is adorable. I probably would have taken him too, but never would have left the infant outside in sub zero weather, or any weather.

What a crazy ass bitch!
    Note to MDSers: do not let this woman near your babies.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Note to MDSers: do not let this woman near your babies.
    Meh. If I had a baby she could have him. I pick up enough poop on any given day and already have one kid to take care of who I call my husband . Besides.... She wouldn't leave him at a gas station. = good mom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    More problems
    She's using an alias, an is wanted in several places.
    A woman accused of kidnapping her 5-day-old nephew and leaving him outside an Iowa gas station as police closed in on her has a long criminal history with frequent moves and multiple names, but nothing in her past indicates why she might have taken a child.

The woman who was arrested in Iowa has been charged as 31-year-old Kristen R. Smith, of Denver. But court documents and warrants obtained by The Associated Press show the same woman faces other charges elsewhere as Kristen L. Pearson, who is 32.

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/w...#ixzz2t7CAwiX7
    Follow us: @JournalSentinel on Twitter
    Her and her husband are in a custody battle. She also told her step-daughter, she was pregnant with a baby boy name... Kasen.
    "When JoVanni was telling me that she was having a baby brother, I asked her if she was excited and she told me, 'Yeah, I can't wait for my brother to come,'" Ford said. "[Smith] said she was naming the baby Kasen."
    http://www.9news.com/news/local/arti...-Aurora-family

She pleaded not guilty: http://fox6now.com/2014/02/26/kriste...dnapping-case/

Here's some background info on the suspect:

http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/cri...9bb2963f4.html

Army discharged Wisconsin kidnap suspect caught in Iowa

(Feb. 20, 2014) IOWA CITY, Iowa -- The woman charged with kidnapping her half sister's newborn this month had been discharged from the U.S. Army Reserve after about a year of service, military officials say.

Kristen Smith served in a Wisconsin-based unit from December 2011 until her removal in December 2012, the Army's Human Resources Command in Fort Knox, Ky., said this week following an inquiry from The Associated Press.

An involuntary discharge that early into an 8-year commitment signals major problems either with one's service or personal life, but the reason for Smith's cannot be divulged under Army policy, said Army Reserve spokesman Lt. Col. Matthew Lawrence. Such discharges are rare and typically done when soldiers fail to complete training, face legal issues or are seriously injured, he said.

"For one that early, there would be probably something administratively that would have forced their hand to discharge her," he said.

Army spokesman Ray Gall said her departure is considered an "entry-level discharge" since she had slightly less than one year of service. He said it was not the result of a crime or a court martial, but that he could not elaborate under Army policy.

Smith was federally indicted Wednesday in the Feb. 6 kidnapping of her newborn nephew. Investigators say Smith took him from a southern Wisconsin home where she was visiting her half sister, and then left him in freezing temperatures in Iowa. Police say the newborn was found alive 29 hours later.

Smith enrolled in the Army Reserve in Milwaukee and was assigned to the 102nd Military Police Company in Fond du Lac, Wis. Her contract was supposed to run through 2019.

After her unsuccessful military career, public records in Colorado and Texas showed that Smith nonetheless continued to falsely claim she was employed by the Army.

She's charged with forging Army documents that said she'd been ordered to duty in Kuwait so that she could break her apartment lease in Fort Worth, Texas. When she was arrested last year in Colorado, booking records show she listed her employer as the Army's military police.

After her discharge, Smith moved into a Fort Worth apartment complex in early 2013. By April, she'd opened bank accounts under two different names and Social Security numbers in Westworth Village, a town 7 miles away, according to a probable cause affidavit obtained under the public records law. She deposited bad checks, draining $6,600 before a bank investigator caught on and called police, the document says.

Westworth Village Police Detective Darren Clark obtained surveillance images of Smith cashing checks and went to the apartment complex. Assistant complex manager Tasha Davis identified Smith in the photos, and said Smith was already moving out after just a few months, the affidavit says.

Smith had recently given Davis two Army documents that ordered Smith to relocate to Virginia and then report to a six-month officer's training program in Kuwait. The documents qualified her for a military exemption in her lease ? saving her from paying $3,033 in penalties.

But Clark determined the documents were fakes after learning of her discharge from the service, and Smith was charged with tampering with a government record. By then, she was gone.

"I would have never thought she would have been that type of person," Davis said.

Investigators say Smith moved to Aurora, Colo., and was arrested there in October. She was released on bond and ordered to appear in court in March to face extradition proceedings on the Texas warrant.

With that matter pending, the FBI says Smith traveled to the Town of Beloit, Wis., to visit her 18-year-old half sister Brianna Marshall and baby Kayden Powell, born Feb. 1.

The FBI says Smith left with Kayden early Feb. 6. Police contacted her as she was driving through Iowa and ordered her to stop for questioning. She denied knowledge of Kayden's whereabouts but was taken into custody on the Texas warrant. Police found the child alive the next day behind a gas station.

Smith, who has not responded to an interview request, faces a maximum sentence of life in prison. She's expected to be transferred from an Iowa jail to Wisconsin before a court appearance Friday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

Damn!!! I've been looking for updates to this case. Thanks Tupelohoney, she's even worse than I thought.

http://www.nbc15.com/home/headlines/...l?device=phone

UPDATED Wednesday, June 25, 2014 --- 3:45 p.m.

She's accused of kidnapping a baby and if convicted she'll spend a minimum of 25 years behind bars.

Today a Western District of Wisconsin federal grand jury indicted Kristen Smith again, saying this time since the child was younger than 18, a conviction triggers a mandatory 25-year sentence.

Smith is accused of kidnapping her newborn nephew back in February from his home in the Town of Beloit.

The baby was found outside a gas station in Iowa where Smith was arrested.

She faces state charges as well.

UPDATED Monday, July 28, 2014 --- 5:54 p.m. The federal trial for Kristen Smith began today, you recall she's accused of kidnapping Kayden Powell, her newborn nephew back in February from the Town of Beloit. The day wrapped up around 5:30 p.m. with Brianna Marshal, Kayden Powell's mother, on the stand. She testified that Smith showed up at the hospital after Kayden was born. Marshall says that Smith offered her, Bruce and Kayden to come live with her in Colorado. Marshall said that they agreed to go, and her family in Wisconsin was not happy about it.

The plan, according to Marshall, was for Smith to bring a load of baby clothes and things to Colorado and then come back that weekend for the family. Marshall says they spent the day packing and her stomach hurt because of her recent c section. She says Bruce's head hurt as well and Smith offered them both pills to make them feel better. It was that night that the infant went missing. Facebook messages show that Smith lead Brianna to think it was her brother who took Kayden to make them stay in WI. Brianna says she believed it because it made sense. Her testimony will continue tomorrow morning.

Testimony earlier in the day revealed FBI agents found a birth certificate application already filled out at Smiths Colorado home. They say the name on the application was Kaysin Smith- a box checked indicated that it was an at home birth. Evidence from Smith's computer also showed that she frequently visited sites on how to create a fake pregnancy belly and how to breastfeed an adopted or surrogate child. They say she was doing these searches since August, just after Marshall told her half-sister that she was pregnant.

The defense said in opening arguments that Smith did not kidnap the baby, but was asked to take the baby to Colorado ahead of time by Bruce, Kayden's dad. Arguments will continue through this week, we will continue to bring you updates

UPDATED Tuesday July, 29, 2014 --- 6:34 p.m. Day two of the federal trial of Kristen Smith has wrapped up. She's accused of kidnapping her 5 day old nephew from the Town of Beloit back in February. Today Bruce Powell, Kayden's father, took the stand. Interestingly enough, the defense didn't question Powell about giving permission to Smith to take the baby, something the defense said in opening arguments was the reason Smith had the child. It was also revealed that Bruce Powell and Kristen Smith both gave fake names throughout the course of the investigation. Both because they had outstanding warrants in other states.

The 911 call that Brianna Marshall made to police the minute she found out her son was missing, was played for the jurors as well. It detailed just how much she trusted her sister. When her grandmother asked her what her sisters phone number was she said "Grandma, she didn't take my baby." When Beloit PD came to the home they called Smith and instructed her contact local law enforcement just to make sure she didn't have the baby. She flagged down an officer at a West Branch, IA gas station. Video from that squad car was play for the court today.

Testimony from the officers in West Branch, IA was also very detailed. They explained how they found the child in a plastic bin outside the BP gas station. The bin and blankets Kayden was found in were also entered into evidence. A map was shown detailing the proximity of the gas station Kayden was found at to the gas station where Kristen Smith flagged down an officer. The two only about a quarter mile apart. A video interview with Smith in Iowa shows her visibly upset and crying while talking about Kayden and how she believed it was Brianna Marshall's brother, Byron, who had taken the child. Also, calls Smith made to her husband back in Colorado from the Cedar County, IA Jail were entered into evidence and played for the jury with Smith saying "When you talk to them, don't say a word. Nothing."

Bruce Powell was able to meet Chief Horihan with West Branch, IA PD today. He was finally able to shake his hand and tell him thank you for saving his son's life. Kayden's grandma says that he's doing well, will be 6 months old on Friday and is getting pretty chunky! She says that Brianna Marshall and Bruce Powell are still together. Court will start back up again tomorrow at 9.

UPDATED Thursday July 31, 2014 -- 1:07 p.m.

MADISON, Wis. --- The jury in the Kristen Smith kidnapping trial is now deliberating. One man question: did Smith have permission to take her infant nephew or was it a kidnapping?

Smith is accused of kidnapping her days old nephew, Kayden Powell, from her half sister's home in the Town of Beloit while the family slept back in February.

Today the prosecution started with closing statements saying the Smith is a chronic liar, pointing to evidence and testimony of previous convictions, multiple identities and inconsistencies in testimony.

The prosecution asked the jurors why would parents of a newborn, who they clearly loved, ask Smith to take the baby?

Evidence was referenced of the prosthetic belly found in Smiths car, and sonograms Smith posted on Facebook as her own, that were matched to identical sonograms posted on websites devoted to babies.

The prosecution says Smith planned a fake pregnancy for months so she could take Kayden and pass him off as her own. They even called the birth certificate application found at Smith's Colorado home the most incriminating piece of evidence. The paper was filled out with Smith as the mother of a boy, Kaysin Smith, weighing exactly what Kayden Powell weighed when he left the hospital. The application stated that it was a home birth.

The prosecution wrapped up stating Smith didn't take the baby as a doting aunt, she did it for her own selfish reasons.

However the defense turned the tables in closing. Smith's attorney stated that Bruce Powell asked Smith to take the baby to Colorado, since the couple would be joining her there in just a few days.

He countered the prosecution's statement that Bruce Powell was infatuated with his son and would never give Smith permission, by recalling Bruce's testimony that he did indeed ask for a paternity test at the hospital.

The defense went on to ask why would Smith calculate this difficult plan when she could easily get pregnant on her own? He detailed how Smith was actually pregnant and lost the child in mid-January.

Smith's attorney added that Bruce and Brianna were moving in with Kristen, so there was clearly no benefit for Smith to take the baby.

After both side wrapped up, the judge instructed the jury that they may not consider Smith's mental or emotional state as an excuse for her actions.

The jury was told in order to find Smith guilty, they have to be convinced beyond a reasonable doubt that Smith 1) took the child 2) that she took the child for her own benefit 3) that she crossed state lines wjth the child and 4) that the child is younger than 18.

Smith faces 25 years to life behind bars if found guilty

UPDATED Thursday July 31, 2014 -- 3:09 p.m. MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- A jury has convicted a woman of kidnapping her newborn nephew in Wisconsin and abandoning him outside an Iowa gas station in freezing temperatures. Kristen Smith was convicted Thursday of kidnapping, which carries a sentence of 25 years to life in prison.

The 31-year-old woman testified she took the boy in February at the father's request. She said the parents were planning to come live with her in Colorado. The Aurora, Colorado, woman says she ditched the 4-day-old baby outside of a gas station in a moment of panic as police closed in on her. The baby survived, despite spending 29 hours in frigid temperatures. Prosecutors dismissed Smith's explanation as ludicrous. They said Smith stole the baby to try to pass him off as her own

UPDATED Thursday July 31, 2014 -- 5:10 p.m. MADISON, Wis. --- Kristen Smith, convicted of kidnapping her infant nephew, will be sentenced in federal court on October 27th
    http://www.nbc15.com/home/headlines/...l?device=phone

Ooooooooooooh, good update. To be honest, there would have been a ton more reasonable doubt if she hadn't dumped the baby out in the cold when she thought that she would be caught. Ignoring that, the defensive position seems almost plausible. The other stuff is crazy, but......if anybody could see my browser history.....

Thanks for the update. I think KS is mentally ill, and that should play a part in her sentencing. I want to know what her husband has to say about all of this. I'm too lazy to look up his Facebook, but I'm quite sure it's locked down anyway. I'm so happy the baby is doing good. He will be 1 in a few months.

I found the husband's facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/joseph.smith.5496683 He's sticking by his woman it appears. Unless he has since switched pages. The last post I can see was in April, well after the arrest, and he still had a picture of them as his album cover. I feel sorry for Kristen, or whatever her name is.

A Colorado woman has been sentenced to 25 years in prison for abducting her newborn nephew in an attempt to pass him off as her own son.

Kristen Smith, 31, kidnapped Kayden Powell from the Wisconsin home of a relative in February this year.

Once police were alerted, she put the four-day-old baby in a plastic bag and left him at an Iowa petrol station.

Officers found Kayden alive and well after the boy spent more than a day in sub-zero temperatures.

On Monday, US District Judge James Peterson gave Smith the minimum sentence, citing her mental health issues.

Smith, of Aurora, Colorado, claimed she was given permission to take Kayden by the boy's father.

The parents, Smith's half-sister Brianna Marshall and her boyfriend Bruce Powell, were supposedly going to join the accused a few days later in Colorado.

But prosecutors said Smith was a manipulative liar who had filled out a birth certificate application to rename the boy Kaysin.

Smith's defence lawyer had argued that his client had no need to steal a baby as she had four children and a stepchild of her own.

But she was convicted in July.
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/...hew/ar-BBbyNXa
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

I am glad this case if finally over and baby Kayden is happy and healthy.

After reading this thread to get familiar with the case again, I felt like I just got off the strangest roller coaster ride ever.

Does anyone know Kristen Smith's mental health diagnosis? I don't recall reading about one...

Fibro Fog has taken over. I am in a constant state of dyscognition so please excuse my retardation.
    'The worst things in the world are justified by belief'- Raised by Wolves SOI

"Your life is short, it's the longest thing you'll ever do/ the worse the curse was that your dreams came true/
    God is a mirror in which each man sees himself/ Hell is place where you don't need anyone's help"

~You got to cry with out weeping. Talk without speaking
    Scream without raising your voice~

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    A Colorado woman has been sentenced to 25 years in prison for abducting her newborn nephew in an attempt to pass him off as her own son.

Kristen Smith, 31, kidnapped Kayden Powell from the Wisconsin home of a relative in February this year.

Once police were alerted, she put the four-day-old baby in a plastic bag and left him at an Iowa petrol station.

Officers found Kayden alive and well after the boy spent more than a day in sub-zero temperatures.

On Monday, US District Judge James Peterson gave Smith the minimum sentence, citing her mental health issues.

Smith, of Aurora, Colorado, claimed she was given permission to take Kayden by the boy's father.

The parents, Smith's half-sister Brianna Marshall and her boyfriend Bruce Powell, were supposedly going to join the accused a few days later in Colorado.

But prosecutors said Smith was a manipulative liar who had filled out a birth certificate application to rename the boy Kaysin.

Smith's defence lawyer had argued that his client had no need to steal a baby as she had four children and a stepchild of her own.

But she was convicted in July.
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/...hew/ar-BBbyNXa
    That's nuts.

Thread Information