Thread: Jonathan Schaff - missing since 18 January 2014 following a bar fight

Jonathan Schaff - missing since 18 January 2014 following a bar fight

https://www.facebook.com/jonathan.schaff.18

http://poststar.com/news/local/polic...a4bcf887a.html

A Fair Haven, Vt., man who was walking back to a car from a Granville bar after a fight has been missing since early Saturday, resulting in a massive search of an area of Granville and western Vermont over the past two days.

Jonathan M. Schaff, 23, was last seen around 4:30 a.m. after an altercation at Riverside Pub on Main Street in Granville, according to Granville Police. He was reported missing late Saturday afternoon.

Dozens of searchers from New York and New England returned to an area along the state line that is dotted with slate quarries and streams, looking for clues as to where Schaff has gone. The search expanded to an area north along county Route 25 and Vermont Route 31 later Monday, after cell phone data potentially placed his phone further north, police said. It was unclear what the time frame was for the phone data, however.

The search was called off for the day at dusk Monday, and was to resume Tuesday morning.

Granville Police said Schaff suffered a cut to his head and his glasses were broken during the fight. He was not believed to have been seriously injured. No arrests were reported by police in connection with the fight. Police said he had been drinking, but it was unclear whether he was intoxicated, police said.

He was last seen walking east on Main Street, wearing a gray hooded sweat shirt, brown Carhartt jacket and blue jeans.

Police said Schaff and two friends had parked a car at Loomis Trucking, near the state line, and walked a half-mile or so to the Granville bar.

As they were later returning to the car, two of the group stopped for a cigarette break along the road and Schaff continued walking, Granville Police Chief Ernie Bassett said.

It appears they were over the Vermont line when they stopped.

?There?s a dip in the road and they lost sight of him. When they got to the car he was not there and they couldn?t find him,? Bassett said.

Cellphone data had placed his phone in the area of Bullfrog Hollow Road just east of the New York state line off Route 149 in Pawlet, Vt., which resulted in the search being concentrated there. But Bassett said subsequent information led to the expansion of the search north of the village of Granville.

Bassett and Vermont State Police Capt. Don Patch said it was unclear why the men parked in Vermont and walked to the Granville bar.

Police from Granville and Vermont as well as numerous fire companies have been searching for Schaff since Sunday morning, checking farm fields, stone quarries and along the rivers and streams in the area. A police command post was established at the Wells, Vt., town hall.

?What we?ve been doing is concentrating on the area where he was last seen,? Patch said.

The Mettawee River is near where he was last seen, leading to concerns he might have fallen in.

On Monday morning, about 25 searchers from two New England search and rescue teams were looking for him on the Vermont side, and more than a dozen Granville firefighters were involved in the search in New York.

Granville Police Sgt. David Williams said there were plans to continue searching Tuesday in the area of the Granville-Wells towns lines where Monday afternoon's search was concentrated.

"We're going to expand the search area and keep going until we find something," he said.

Patch said Vermont State Police detectives were involved, and there was no indication of any foul play Monday.

Schaff was described as a white male, about 6 feet tall and 170 pounds with blue eyes and brown hair.

The most recent articles say that the search has been paused b/c of the deep freeze. Those articles were posted on the 1/25 and 1/26. He also missed his birthday which was on the 24th.
    When the search starts back up, they are checking the river. From what I understand- they think he fell in.
    Here's a detailed article
    GRANVILLE, N.Y. -
    New details in the search for a missing Fair Haven man.

It's now been five days since Jonathan Schaff, 24, disappeared after leaving a bar in Granville, N.Y. He was last seen walking east on Route 149. Police say Schaff's cellphone was found in an abandoned truck in West Pawlet. Now, the search is focused on the river that runs behind that parking lot. They plan to send in a dive team when weather conditions are safer.
    http://www.mychamplainvalley.com/med...b757/Story.jpg
    He is a handsome man. Pretty eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    The most recent articles say that the search has been paused b/c of the deep freeze. Those articles were posted on the 1/25 and 1/26. He also missed his birthday which was on the 24th.
    When the search starts back up, they are checking the river. From what I understand- they think he fell in.
    Here's a detailed article

He is a handsome man. Pretty eyes.
    Yes he is Berm. I went sniffing around his FB early this morning. He was excited about some new tats.

Fibro Fog has taken over. I am in a constant state of dyscognition so please excuse my retardation.
    'The worst things in the world are justified by belief'- Raised by Wolves SOI

"Your life is short, it's the longest thing you'll ever do/ the worse the curse was that your dreams came true/
    God is a mirror in which each man sees himself/ Hell is place where you don't need anyone's help"

~You got to cry with out weeping. Talk without speaking
    Scream without raising your voice~

GRANVILLE ? May Winchell still has hope, a belief that her son, missing for three years as of Jan. 18, could walk through the door of her home someday, safe and sound.

?I haven?t given up hope that he is still alive,? the Fair Haven, Vermont resident said last week.

Despite thousands of hours of investigation and searching by police, volunteers and family members, Jonathan Schaff?s disappearance remains a sad mystery.

Winchell and many of Schaff?s loved ones have theorized the 23-year-old Fair Haven resident was abducted and killed by someone he came across in the hours before he was reported missing, after he spent a night at a Granville bar that was then known as Riverside Pub.

But so far, police have no evidence to explain where he went, or who may have been involved with his disappearance if he was the victim of foul play.

Vermont State Police remain the lead investigative agency, as it was concluded the day after Schaff?s disappearance that he had walked into Vermont on Route 149, based on witness statements and the discovery of his cellphone in a truck in Loomis Trucking Co.?s parking lot in West Pawlet. Vermont State Police did not respond to repeated email and phone inquiries for comment about the case last week.

Granville Police and New York State Police, including the agency?s Major Crimes Unit, have worked with them, and the agencies took part in a renewed effort over the summer that included re-interviewing more than two dozen people who were at the bar that night and others who knew or had contact with Schaff. Some were asked to take polygraph tests to try to determine the veracity of their stories, and a number agreed to do so, police said.

A water-filled slate quarry in West Pawlet, Vermont, near the trucking company parking lot, was searched by divers in June. That search did not stem from a specific tip, but instead because of the quarry?s proximity to where Schaff was last seen in Route 149.

Still, Granville Police Chief Ernie Bassett said there haven?t been any substantial new leads since the quarry search. But police haven?t given up.

?We have been working on the leads as they come in,? said State Police Senior Investigator Robert Stampfli, who supervises State Police investigators in Washington County.

Vermont State Police initially theorized he fell into the Mettawee River, which runs behind the trucking company parking lot. But searches and extremely low water levels over the past two summers made it clear he was not in the river.

Washington County District Attorney Tony Jordan said his office has been apprised as the investigation has continued.

?There were some pretty aggressive combined efforts last summer, but so far, there hasn?t been much from it,? he said.

The rumor mill has pinned blame on a number of people, none of the accusations provable so far. One story had Schaff buried in a new concrete floor in the bar?s basement. Police said no such floor was ever poured. Others have blamed some of the people he scuffled with at the bar.

Winchell said the disappearance made no sense on a number of levels. Her son would regularly call her for a ride home if he was at a bar or a friend?s house drinking. But he didn?t call that night, and apparently chose to go with a couple he had just met.

?I just wish he would have called me. None of this would have happened,? she said.

Night at the bar
    Schaff, a former Hadley resident who worked at Wal-Mart in Rutland, Vermont, has relatives in the Granville area and occasionally patronized the village?s bars.

Riverside Pub, long known as Beebe?s Thirst Parlor before a series of ownership changes, was fairly busy the night of Jan. 17-18 when Schaff was there for several hours with friends and at least one relative. He had gotten into a fight with a Vermont man and his eyeglasses were broken, but Schaff suffered only minor injuries, according to police.

Police said Schaff stayed until last call and was walking at about 4:30 a.m. with two people he had met that night who were going to give him a ride.

The people who agreed to give him a ride had parked their car at the trucking company parking lot and said they stopped to smoke a cigarette along the road during the walk. Schaff kept walking, and they told police when they got to the lot, he was nowhere to be found.

He was reportedly heavily intoxicated when he left the bar. The man Schaff fought with at the bar has been questioned extensively, and he told police and a Post-Star reporter he had no involvement in the disappearance.

Winchell said she has remained in regular communication with Vermont State Police as the investigation has continued, and she said the assignment of a new lead investigator to the case last spring resulted in renewed efforts. The family sought to hire a private investigator but so far hasn?t come up with enough money.

She said so many questions remain unanswered, and the years without her son have been devastating.

?It?s very frustrating,? she said. ?I don?t know what else we can do.?

Social media remembrances
    Friends and relatives continue to post on Schaff?s Facebook page, and on a page dedicated to the search effort.

?Not a day goes by that you?re not on my mind, but it?s hitting me real hard today,? wrote a niece, Courtney Rathbun, one day last month. ?I just want to be able to spend your birthday with you. I want you home. I want (expletive) answers.?

?I pray to God for you and your family that some closure will come sooner then later,? wrote Jamie Wilson. ?I miss your shy smile and your big heart.?

Schaff?s father, John Schaff of Cambridge, has had his grief turn to anger. He is angry at what he believes were missteps by Vermont State Police in the days after his son?s disappearance, dedicating much of their efforts to the conclusion he had fallen in the river, and a lack of communication with Schaff?s loved ones.

?Three years and we don?t know a damned thing,? he said.

Granville Police Chief Bassett said police will continue to follow the case wherever the leads go.

?You just have to plug away and hope something develops,? he said.

Anyone with information in the case is asked to call Granville Police at 642-1414 or Vermont State Police at 802-773-9101.

http://poststar.com/news/local/three...678bc46e3.html

No new info, but it's been 10 years.

https://www.news10.com/news/washington-county/police-searching-for-answers-in-missing-granville-man-case/"]https://www.news10.com/news/washington-county/police-searching-for-answers-in-missing-granville-man-case/"]https://www.news10.com/news/washington-county/police-searching-for-answers-in-missing-granville-man-case/

Thursday marks 10 years since Granville resident Jonathan Schaff went missing after leaving the Riverside Pub in Granville, which is now vacant. Despite extensive searches in the area and into Vermont, police are still searching for answers regarding Schaff’s disappearance.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 01-18-2024 at 08:01 AM.

Wonder what is up with these comments on his FB, made years after his disappearance:

Charles Burns
    Taking out because of his real f****** father some f****** father you are John

Charles Burns
    I'm on my way after you and I will f****** find you

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Hes in some body of water.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Hes in some body of water.
    I was going to say the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    Wonder what is up with these comments on his FB, made years after his disappearance:

Charles Burns
    Taking out because of his real f****** father some f****** father you are John

Charles Burns
    I'm on my way after you and I will f****** find you
    Wow. Sounds unhinged.

Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    Wow. Sounds unhinged.
    I'm not even sure what he is trying to say...

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    I'm not even sure what he is trying to say...
    Right?

Thread Information